The Colombian professional footballer Luis Fernando Muriel Fruto (born 16 April 1991) plays as a forward for Serie A club Atalanta and the Colombia national team. After beginning his professional career with the Colombian club Deportivo Cali, Muriel joined Udinese. Before returning to the club in 2012, he spent two seasons on loan at Granada and Lecce. He won the Serie A Best Young Revelation award in 2012. In January 2015, Muriel joined fellow Serie A side Sampdoria after scoring 15 league goals in 57 appearances.
Prior to joining Sevilla in 2017, he spent two and a half seasons with the club, scoring 21 goals in 79 league appearances. Fiorentina sent him back to Italy on loan in January 2019. A reported €18 million was paid for Muriel’s signing by Serie A side Atalanta in June 2019. As a result of Muriel’s first season at Atalanta, the club qualified for the UEFA Champions League for the first time in its history. Next season, he finished third in the Serie A goalscoring charts, behind Romelu Lukaku and Cristiano Ronaldo.
Muriel was named to the Serie A Team of the Year for 2020–21 for his efforts in qualifying Atalanta for two consecutive Champions League tournaments. A Colombian international since 2012, Muriel currently represents his country at the international level. He made his senior debut against Ecuador in June 2012 and scored his first goal against Guatemala the following year. As a result, he participated in 2015, 2019, and 2021 editions of the Copa América, as well as the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Luis Muriel Bio/Wiki
The table below reveals concise information about Luis Muriel. It gives you the ability to read through the Colombian footballer’s profile as fast as possible.
|Birth Name||Luis Fernando Muriel Fruto|
|Nickname/ Popular Name/ Shirt Name||The Colombian Ronaldo|
|Age||31 (as in 2022) Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Aries|
|Birth Place||Santo Tomás, Colombia|
|Date of Birth||16 April 1991|
|Residence||Santo Tomás, Colombia|
|Home Town||Santo Tomás, Colombia|
|Hobbies||Watching Movies, Horse Riding, Swimming|
|Mother's Name||Elizabeth Fruto|
|Father's Name||Luis Fernando Muriel|
|Brother(s)||• Luis Alberto|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Tasharem Villegas Lindao|
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Wife/Spouse||Tasharem Villegas Lindao (m. 2021)|
|Children||Daughter(s) • Maria Camila Muriel Renteria|
• Maria Paula Muriel Renteria
• Maria Celeste Muriel Renteria
|School||Atlético Junior Academy|
|College/University||Deportivo Cali Youth Academy|
|Career Manager/ Player Agent||Alessandro Lucci - WSA|
|Debut For Current Club Team||• 2019: Atalanta BC|
|Debut For Current Senior International Team||• 2012: Colombian national football team|
|Jersey Number (2022-23)||• 9 (Atalanta BC)|
• 9 (Colombian national football team)
|Current Teams||• Atalanta BC|
• Colombian national football team
|Coach/Mentor/Manager||Gian Piero Gasperini|
|Position||Attack - Centre-Forward|
• Toulon Tournament: 2011
• Serie A Best Young Revelation: 2012
• Serie A Player of the Month: April 2021
• Serie A Team of the Year: 2020–21
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 179 cm|
in meters- 1.79 m
in feet inches- 5'10"
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 79 kg|
in pounds- 174 lbs
|Chest Size||41 inches|
|Biceps Size||12 inches|
|Waist Size||32 inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Colombian|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
|Distinctive Features||Not Available|
|Dress Size||7 U.S.|
|Shoe Size||9 U.S.|
|Favorite Playing Position||Forward|
|Favorite Car||Not Available|
|Favorite Food||Fruits and Veg|
|Favorite Player||Not Available|
|Favorite Pet Animal||Dog|
|Favorite Cell Phone/Brand||Iphone|
The biography of Luis Muriel includes information about his childhood, parents, family, wife, children, cars, net worth, lifestyle, and personal life. Essentially, this is the story of the Colombian professional footballer, from his boyhood days to his rise to fame.
This gallery illustrates Luis Muriel’s life from childhood to adulthood – a perfect overview of his biography. Yes, everyone is aware of his ability to score magical goals and create scoring opportunities for his teammates. Only a few people have considered our version of Luis Muriel’s Biography, which is quite interesting. Let us now proceed without further ado.
Luis Muriel Family Background And Early Life
To begin with, he is referred to as “The Colombian Ronaldo” in his biography. In the municipality of Santo Tomás in Colombia, Luis Fernando Muriel Fruto was born on the 16th of April 1991. His mother, Elizabeth Fruto, and his father, Luis Muriel Sr., gave birth to him.
In Santo Tomás, Colombia, where he was raised with his brothers, Luis Alberto and Jesus, the Colombian national of Latino ethnicity were born into a South American family. A young Luis began playing football at a local pitch near his family’s home at the age of five, growing up in a lower-class family setting in Santo Tomás.
The football genius’ family life is very important to him, and he never fails to acknowledge the blessing of having a loving and supportive family. Here are some facts about Luis Muriel’s family, starting with his parents.
About Luis Muriel’s Father
The football genius’ father is Luis Muriel Sr. In the striker’s early life, he was a taxi driver and he was very supportive of him. When Luis was a kid, he promised to buy his dad a taxi. The promise was fulfilled years later when he got his first paycheck at Deportivo Cali.
Muriel’s breakthrough means his dad doesn’t have to work anymore, so he can enjoy the sacrifice he made to ensure his success.
About Luis Muriel’s Mother
Luis Muriel’s mom is Elizabeth Fruto. Like her husband, she’s Latino and raised Muriel and his siblings. Like a second coach, she yelled at him to be on top of his game and win trophies.
In order to not miss Muriel’s games, Elizabeth does her best. Is there anything else? The football genius is always reminded of the timeless nature of maternal love by her unconditional love!
About Luis Muriel’s Siblings
He’s the oldest of his parents’ three kids. He has two siblings named Luis Alberto and Jesus. While the former was studying veterinary medicine in 2015, the latter was building a career in football at Deportivo Cali.
As Muriel, his parents did not have any daughters, the odds are greatly in favor of the striker having no sisters.
About Luis Muriel Relatives
As far as Muriel’s extended family is concerned, there are no records of the striker’s ancestry, particularly that of his paternal grandparents and maternal grandparents.
Likewise, little is known about Muriel’s uncles, aunts, and cousins. At the time of writing this bio, his nephews and nieces have not been identified.
Luis Muriel Education And Career Buildup
In no time at all, Muriel began training with the school team of Santo Tomás (Saint Thomas) where he studied and learned the basics of competitive football. Muriel joined the youth system of Athletico Junior, the biggest team in town when he was ten years old and became aware of the possibilities.
The poor financial situation of Muriel’s family made it difficult for him to train at Athletico Junior. Therefore, he joined his brothers and cousins in selling cassava buns made by their grandmother and used part of the profits to cover Athletico Junior’s training costs.
When Did Luis Muriel Enter The World Of Football And How Become Famous?
Muriel’s rise through the ranks of Athletico Junior almost ended when a serious injury forced him to quit football at the age of 13. Muriel went on to become Athletico Junior’s top scorer in a national tournament after recovering from his injury.
Muriel started his professional career at age 17 with Deportivo Cali. He earned the nickname “the Colombian Ronaldo” at the club for his impressive goals and stellar performances.
He undoubtedly shares a physical resemblance with former Brazil striker Ronaldo De Lima.
After his debut season with Deportivo Cali, Muriel caught the attention of Udinese, who signed him in 2010 and loaned him out to Granada and Lecce for two seasons. Getting used to a new culture, food, people, and most importantly European football was difficult for Muriel.
As the young striker returned to Udinese after his loan period, he was overweight and had to go through the arduous process of losing fat before the 2012/2013 season. The following season, Muriel struggled with weight issues again and was injured to top it all off.
In 2015, Muriel’s fortunes began to change for the better when he joined Sampdoria on loan and secured a permanent contract after becoming a consistent goal scorer. With an impressive record of 10 goals in 15 appearances, Muriel is currently a key striker for Italian side Atlanta (on his way to Sevilla and Fiorentina)!
Luis Muriel Wife
Since Muriel married his beautiful girlfriend turned wife, Paula Renteria, he’s been experiencing an all-time high in his love life. It is unknown when the couple began dating and married, or whether Muriel had previous girlfriends before he married Paula Renteria.
Paula is not only Muriel’s wife but also her number one fan. His love for Paula is beyond measure, and he sometimes dedicates his goals to her. At the time of writing, they have three cute daughters, Maria Camila, Maria Paula, and Maria Celeste.
Luis Muriel Net Worth
In 2022, what will Luis Muriel’s salary be?
In Jul 2019 Luis Muriel signed a contract with Atalanta BC that ends in 2023 that netted him a whopping salary of £5,220,740 per year. We have crunched the numbers, this means he earns £14,342 per day and £597 per hour!
Salary & Net Worth Updated 2022
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||19 Million Euros|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||16 Million Euros|
|SALARY UPDATE 2022||His current club salary and several other earnings are included in the salary data below.|
|Annual or Per Year Salary||£5,220,740|
|Per Month Salary||£435,061|
|Per Week Salary||£100,398|
|Per Day Salary||£14,342|
|Per Hour Salary||£597|
|Per Minute Salary||£9.9|
|Current Contract||With Atalanta BC|
|Contract Signed/Extension||Jul 1, 2019|
|Contract Expires||Jun 30, 2023|
|Contract Signing Amount or Transfer Fee||$23.32 Million|
|Market Value||$22.00 Million|
|Highest Market Value||$33.00 Million (Jun 3, 2021)|
|Income Source||Professional Footballer|
|Cars Collection||Not Available|
His stock is on the rise thanks to his performances on the pitch. Luis Muriel has an estimated net worth of around 19 million euros, and his market value is about $22.00 million.
Luis Muriel FIFA 22 – Potential And Rating
In FIFA 22, Luis Muriel has an overall rating of 82 with a potential of 82. Luis Muriel has got a 4-star skillmoves rating.
Luis Muriel FIFA 22 Stats
Overall Rating In FIFA 22
Potential In FIFA 22
|69||Heading Accuracy||78||FK Accuracy|
|80||Short Passing||55||Long Passing|
|26||Defensive Awareness||22||Sliding Tackle|
He prefers to shoot with his right foot. His workrates are Medium / High. Luis Muriel’s height is 179 cm and his weight is estimated at 79 kg according to our database. Currently, Luis Muriel is playing with the number 9.
- In January 2009, Muriel joined Colombian Premiership side, Deportivo Cali, after growing up with Atlético Junior.
- After making his debut against Envigado FC on 12 July 2009, he scored nine goals in 10 appearances the following season.
- In comparison to former Brazil striker Ronaldo, Muriel’s early form at Deportivo Cali, which included a hat-trick against Once Caldas, earned him the nickname “the Colombian Ronaldo”, and he signed with Italian Serie A team Udinese midway through the season.
In May 2010, Udinese officially signed Muriel for a reported €1.5m fee.
According to the transfer agreement, Udinese got 70% of Muriel’s playing rights, while Deportivo got 30%. He was loaned to Segunda División side Granada shortly after arriving in Udine.
Loans To Granada And Lecce
- The 12th of July 2010 was Muriel’s last day on loan at Granada.
- Muriel made only seven appearances and failed to score for the season, as the club achieved promotion to La Liga for the first time in 35 years.
- In a 2–0 loss to Palermo on 27 October 2011, he made his debut as a second-half substitute for Daniele Corvia.
- Muriel was sent off for two bookable offenses against Cesena on his first start for the club the following month.
- Juan Cuadrado, a fellow countryman, and Udinese loanee scored the goal that secured a 1–0 victory for Lecce.
- In 29 appearances, he scored seven goals, but his efforts weren’t enough to prevent Lecce from being relegated.
- During the course of the season, Muriel’s performance attracted the attention of both AC Milan and Internazionale, both of whom made formal offers to sign him, but Muriel has confirmed that he will be returning to Udinese.
Return To Udinese
- Despite Muriel’s four goals against Arta Cedarchis in a pre-season friendly, Francesco Guidolin was very critical of his physical condition upon his return to Udinese.
- On 25 August 2012, he made his debut for the club, providing the assist to Maicosuel for the opening goal in a 2–1 defeat against Fiorentina.
- An improved five-year contract was signed with the club the following month.
- As a result of his performance with Lecce and Udinese the previous year, Muriel received the Serie A Best Young Revelation award alongside Milan’s Stephan El Shaarawy.
- Despite missing nearly four months of action due to a hairline fracture of his left femur, he managed to score 11 goals in 22 Serie A appearances.
- The following season, in the qualifying playoff rounds of the 2013–14 UEFA Europa League, Muriel scored his first ever European goals, scoring twice against Siroki Brijeg in a 3–1 victory over Siroki Brijeg and scoring two goals in his first league match against reigning Coppa Italia champions, Lazio, a 2–1 defeat.
- During the following season-and-a-half, his form deteriorated as he struggled with weight and injury issues, and he managed only four goals in 35 league appearances, including an 11-match spell without a goal.
- In 57 appearances for the club, he scored 15 goals, before joining Sampdoria in 2015.
- Despite Muriel’s struggles at Udinese, Sampdoria signed him and teammate Andrea Coda on a double loan deal on 22 January 2015, with an option to purchase both players at the end of the season for a combined €12m.
- A contract was signed between Muriel and Sampdoria until 30 June 2019. During his loan spell, he scored four goals in 16 appearances before completing a permanent transfer.
- After a career-best 11 league goals and five assists in his final season with the club, Sevilla broke their club record to sign him.
- According to reports, Sevilla signed Muriel for a reported €20m club record fee, with potential add-ons.
- He made his debut on 19 August, playing in a 1–1 draw with Espanyol, and scored his first goal on 17 September, scoring the winner against Girona.
- The following season, Muriel found himself behind Wissam Ben Yedder, André Silva, and Quincy Promes in the pecking order after a disappointing debut season in which he only scored nine goals in 46 appearances.
Loan To Fiorentina
- Muriel returned to Serie A on 2 January 2019 after signing a loan deal with Fiorentina.
- After making his non-competitive debut against Hibernians a week later, he made his official debut against Torino in a 2–0 Coppa Italia win on 14 January.
- In a 3–3 draw with his former club, Sampdoria, on 20 January, he scored twice.
- In the end, he scored six league goals during his loan period but was not signed permanently after the club’s ownership changed.
Luis Muriel At Atalanta
Atalanta signed Muriel in a reported €18 million permanent deal on 21 June 2019, following a successful loan spell with Fiorentina.
Muriel represented Colombia at the U20 level and participated in the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup, which Colombia hosted. Having scored twice against France, he scored Colombia’s only goal as Colombia beat the Korea Republic 1–0 on 6 August 2011 to advance from the group stages.
Colombia was knocked out of the tournament by Mexico in the quarterfinals after Muriel scored four goals.
Colombia Senior Team
- During Colombia’s penalty shoot-out loss to England, Muriel took a penalty kick.
- Muriel made his senior debut in a 1–0 World Cup qualifier loss to Ecuador on 10 June 2012 after being called up by new manager José Pékerman.
- He scored his first goal against Guatemala in a friendly the following year.
- Following the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, he was one of seven players cut from Colombia’s extended squad.
- In 2015, he was a member of Colombia’s Copa América squad but was not selected for the Copa América Centenario.
- During the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, he was named to Colombia’s preliminary 35-man squad.
- Colombia reached the Round of 16 before losing a penalty shootout to England in the Round of 16.
- Muriel was a member of Colombia’s 23-man squad for the 2019 Copa América in Brazil.
- In the 2021 Copa América third-place match, Muriel assisted Luis Diaz’s match-winning goal against Peru.
Facts About Luis Muriel
We conclude our biography of Luis Muriel with lesser-known or untold facts about him.
- He won the Serie A Best Young Revelation Award in 2012 for his precocious performances during his early career in Italy.
- The Italian manager Massimiliano Allegri has praised Muriel for his speed, technique, and potential; Antonio Di Natale, his former Udinese teammate, even compared him to Alexis Sánchez in 2013.
- Muriel is a versatile forward who can play in several offensive positions, although he is usually deployed as a center-forward. Under his former Udinese manager Francesco Guidolin, he also displayed his creative abilities as a withdrawn, central player behind another striker, often playing as a second striker or attacking midfielder.
- He can also play as a winger. The playing style, physical build, and appearance of Muriel, a fast, talented, creative, two-footed, and technically gifted striker, have led him to be compared to former Brazil striker Ronaldo.
- During Ronaldo’s Inter Milan days, Muriel was an admirer of Ronaldo as a youngster, which may explain the comparison.
- According to Muriel, he initially supported Milan because Ronaldo was playing for them at the time. Additionally, Muriel also revealed that, like his childhood idol, he suffers from weight issues, and even lost five kg during the 2012–13 season.
- To achieve a similar level of athletic ability as Ronaldo, he had to maintain a consistent fitness regime. His compatriot Iván Valenciano was also one of Muriel’s major influences as a footballer in his youth. Although he is talented, he is inconsistent.
Luis Muriel Tattoos
In addition to his height of 5 feet 10 inches, Luis Muriel has tattoos on the upper part of his body, which make up most of his body. As of yet, the striker hasn’t revealed to the public the meaning behind the body inks on his body. Nevertheless, some of the symbols seem to be self-explanatory, especially the cross at the back of his head.
Smoking And Drinking
It is not common for Colombian internationals to drink hard drinks. To the best of our knowledge, he hasn’t been spotted smoking at the time of writing.
With such a healthy habit, the striker joins the league of football players with a healthy habit. A person who takes his or her health seriously and would not compromise it in any way.
Luis Muriel Religion
Like Luis Diaz and Yerry Mina, Muriel is also a big proponent of religion and frequently professes his faith, which is nurtured by the Catholic religion.
It has been revealed in an interview that the striker believes in God. I would like to add that his entire household has the Blessed Virgin Mary and follows the teachings of the Church as well.
Luis Muriel is currently 31 years old as of 2022.
Luis Muriel weighs approximately 174 lbs or 79 kg.
Luis Muriel plays as a forward for Serie A club Atalanta and the Colombia national team.
Luis Muriel is from Colombia.
After reading his biography, you will agree with me that Luis Muriel worked so hard to achieve success. Even poor kids from the slum can dream big and achieve their dreams thanks to him.
It is important to note that his father and mother were key catalysts in his success story. His career life would not be the same without their contributions. They deserve all the accolades for what they have done.
In addition, his sibling’s and friends’ efforts should not be overlooked. As a result of them, he never experienced loneliness or depression during his childhood. Luis Muriel has grown into a cheerful youth as a result of them.
Here Is An Appreciation Note For Your Consideration
Thank you for reading this engaging article about the life journey of the Colombian footballer. Hopefully, Luis Muriel’s childhood story has made you believe that patience and persistence can overcome anything.
At WoodGram, we strive for fairness and accuracy in our biographies. Feel free to contact us or leave a comment below if you found anything fishy in the article on Luis Muriel.