Spanish professional footballer Inigo Martinez Berridi (born 17 May 1991) plays mainly as a center-back for Athletic Bilbao and the Spain national team. Since making his debut at the age of 20, he played 238 matches (17 goals) in all competitions for Real Sociedad. Athletic Bilbao signed him in January 2018. Martínez was awarded his first cap for Spain in 2013.
Martinez has been playing for Athletic Bilbao since 2018 and is a well-known footballer. As a member of the Spanish national football team, he has participated in numerous national and international events. Additionally, his playing skills are highly regarded, and he was once linked with former Spanish footballer Carles Puyol. He previously played for Aurrera Ondarroa.
Inigo Martinez Bio/Wiki
[table id=3909 /]
Inigo Martinez Net Worth
In 2023, what will his salary be?
In September 2018 Inigo Martinez the center-back signed a contract with Athletic Bilbao that ends in 2023 that nets him a whopping salary of £7,644,000 (€9,002,596) per year. According to our calculations, he earns £21,234 (€25,007) per day and £885 (€1,042) per hour!
[table id=3910 /]
The Spanish defender came through the Real Sociedad academy. A successful spell at Real Sociedad led to his move to Athletic Bilbao. Inigo Martinez has a net worth of close to $10 million and his market value is somewhere in the region of $27.50 million.
Inigo Martinez FIFA 22 Potential And Rating
Martinez is currently 31 years old and plays as a Centre Back for Athletic Club de Bilbao in Spain. His overall rating in FIFA 22 is 81 with a potential of 81. Inigo Martinez has got a 2-star skillmoves rating.
[table id=3911 /]
He prefers to shoot with his left foot. His workrates are Medium / Medium. Inigo Martinez’s height is 181 cm and his weight is estimated at 77 kg according to our database. Currently, Iñigo Martínez is playing with numbers 4 and 3.
- Born in Ondarroa, Biscay, Martínez joined the Real Sociedad youth ranks from local CD Aurrerá Ondarroa.
- In 2009–10, he helped the reserves promote from the fourth division after one year out by playing 23 games and scoring one goal.
- Against Sporting dIjon, Martinez played 90 minutes for the Basques in their 2–1 away win on 27 August 2011.
- During the Athletic Bilbao derby on 2 October, he scored his first league goal from inside his own half.
- On 27 November 2011, Martinez scored his third league goal (in the 90th minute) in a 3–2 away win over Real Betis.
- In 2012–13, he scored four times in 34 matches to help the club return to the UEFA Champions League after ten years.
- In April 2016, Martinez signed a five-year contract extension.
- Martnez signed with Athletic Bilbao for €32 million (his contractual buyout clause amount, an expensive deal for the buying club) on 30 January 2018.
- He replaced Aymeric Laporte, who had moved to Manchester City, in the Athletic squad for half the fee.
- On 4 February, he played the entirety of Girona FC’s 2–0 domestic league loss.
- Martnez conceded two penalties for foul challenges in two local derby matches in October 2018, both of which led to the opening goal and were awarded after Video Assistant Referee reviews.
- The first penalty came in a 3–1 home defeat to Real Sociedad; the second one came in a 1–1 away tie against SD Eibar.
- On 20 June 2020, Martinez scored his first goal for Athletic (in his 85th competitive appearance) with a backheel flick.
- In addition, he gave away a penalty, but the kick was missed and he scored the only goal.
- Playing against his former club Real Sociedad in the delayed 2020 Copa del Rey Final, Mart*nez had an important role to play.
- A VAR review ruled a handball in the box at the start of the second half was outside the box, and ten minutes later he conceded a penalty for a foul on Portu.
- The referee sent him off, but a VAR check found that he had not intentionally denied a goal-scoring opportunity.
- Real won the trophy with a 1–0 score.
- After the game, he was seen congratulating many of his old teammates and was praised in the media for his sportsmanship.
- Martinez made his Spain under-21 debut in 2011. The following year, he was selected by manager Luis Milla for the 2012 Summer Olympics.
- The first game against Japan ended in a 1–0 loss when he was sent off for bringing down Kensuke Nagai.
- Martinez made his full-team debut on 14 August 2013, replacing Sergio Ramos in the second half of a 2–0 friendly win over Ecuador.
- In the period September 2018 to March 2021, he received eleven caps, including seven starts.
- After missing a number of club matches throughout the season, he did not make Luis Enrique’s 24-man squad for UEFA Euro 2020 (delayed by a year by the COVID-19 pandemic in Europe).
- He had agreed with the national body and Athletic not to participate after stating he was not satisfied with his physical condition.
- In the 2–2 UEFA Nations League draw with the Czech Republic on 5 June 2022, Martinez scored his first goal.
Facts About Inigo Martinez
- Despite his modest stature of 1.82 m (5 ft 11+1/2 in), Martinez has been compared to compatriot Carles Puyol and is known for his heading ability on set pieces.
- Martinez is also known for his tackling skills, leadership qualities, ability to read games, and proficiency with the ball at his feet.
- During his youth, he played soccer for Real Sociedad.
- In 2009, he made his professional debut with the club’s B team.
- Aside from playing soccer in the competitive leagues, Martinez is married to his longtime girlfriend, Nere Grana.
- It was in the presence of their families and friends that the couple got married, and to date, they have two beautiful daughters.
- A native of Ondarroa, Martinez’s playing style is similar to that of Carles Puyol, with a dangerous set-piece ability.
Where was Inigo Martinez born?
How old is Inigo Martinez?
Who does Inigo Martinez play for?
- Spain national football team
- Athletic Bilbao
How tall is Inigo Martinez?
Inigo Martinez’s biography teaches us that we need to mentally prepare for life’s challenges. Moreover, it is normal for aspiring footballers to encounter roadblocks on the way to becoming professionals.
Inigo Martinez’s parents prepared him for life by being doggedly persistent. In the story, the Spanish were able to overcome many rejections by strengthening his character and lowering his expectations.
During the process of writing Inigo Martinez’s bio, we discovered something about him – one of his most prominent characteristics. It is nothing other than his forgiving spirit. Despite coming from a humble family, the footballer has shown us that he has a great attitude.
Here Is An Appreciation Note For Your Consideration
Thank you for reading this engaging article about the life journey of the Spanish footballer. Hopefully, Inigo Martinez’s childhood story has made you believe that patience and persistence can overcome anything.
At WoodGram, we strive for fairness and accuracy in our biographies. Feel free to contact us or leave a comment below if you found anything fishy in this article on Inigo Martinez.