Unai Simon Mendibil is a Spanish professional footballer who plays goal for Athletic Bilbao and the Spain national team. During his early football career, Unai Simon played for his hometown club, Aurrera Vitoria. The player trained with the team for two years until 2011 and then moved to the Youth team of Athletic Bilbao. In 2014, he made his debut for the senior team of the Spanish football club Basconia after being with the team until 2014. In two seasons, Unai made thirty-six appearances and then moved to his childhood club, Athletic Bilbao.
Together with Pablo Sarabia, Unai has represented Spain in numerous divisions. In 2013, he made his first appearance for Spain’s U16 squad. The player played three games for the Spain U18 team in 2015. During the same year, Simon played for the U18 and U19 teams. He made ten appearances for the U21 team from 2017 to 2019 and was called up to the senior team in 2020. Simon was called for the 2020 Olympics game that was postponed due to the COVID pandemic. Simon participated in the match until the end.
Unai Simon Bio/Wiki[table id=3317 /]
In this biography, we present facts about Unai Simon’s Childhood, Childhood, Family, Lifestyle, Parents, Girlfriend, and Net Worth.
In a nutshell, we show you the goalkeeper’s life journey, from his early days to when he became famous. See Unai Simon’s childhood to adulthood gallery to whet your appetite for his autobiography.
As of 2021, we all know he is one of the most talented Spanish goalkeepers in La Liga. Bio, which is quite interesting, is only known to a few soccer fans. Okay, let’s get started.
His nickname is “Unai Simon Mendibil”. He was born on the 11th of June 1997 to his father and mother in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Alava, Basque Country, Spain. Simon was mostly inclined to sports from his childhood days.
Interestingly, other kids within his age group had the same dream as him. They all loved playing football and would spend hours playing against each other. Simon and his friends had access to many balls, which made it convenient for them to play at any time of day.
During summer vacations, the upcoming goalkeeper spent time with his grandparents in Zamora. As Simon stayed in the town, he played football with other kids in the front on the hot afternoons.
In his hometown, there was no access to clean drinking water. As a result, the young champ helped his grandparents fill their jugs whenever the tankers in the town delivered water.
He grew up as a humble kid who always respected his elders and never wanted to see his grandmother stressed out. Discipline is one of the attributes that have helped the footballer succeed in his career. Thanks to a conscientious and respectful family, he comes from an excellent background. As a result, Simon learned about good morals from his parents growing up.
Despite the fact that his parents worked as members of the state’s security force, they never took advantage of anyone in their town. Because of their kindness, they earned the respect of the entire community as a peace-loving family.
Despite the fact that he was born in Vitoria, the athlete is actually a native of San Marcia. del Vino, in Zamora. Actually, the village of San Marcia! is the cradle of his paternal family. He is a Spanish national that belongs to the Spanish-White ethnicity.
Simon’s father left his hometown, moving to the Basque Country looking for a greener pasture when he was still a young man. It was there that he met his wife, settled down, and gave birth to the shot-stopper a few miles from his place of origin.
The upcoming athlete grew up with his parents, attending a school that is not mentioned in his biography as he was enrolled in it throughout his childhood. He was good at his studies and listened attentively to the instructions of his teacher.
During that time, Simon had high hopes of graduating with a good grade. It was important for him to be among the best in his school because that would make it easier for him to gain admission to a reputable college. From the very beginning, the Spaniard never intended to become a goalkeeper. Instead, he wanted to be like his friends and dribble and score goals like them.
The problem was that everyone thought he was too lazy or bigger than the other kids. As a result, they asked him to stay at the goal post. In order for him to play among his peers, he had no choice but to become one of their goalkeepers he must.
Simon hated the idea of moving into the post for the sake of peace but humbly agreed to do so. In his ignorance, he had no idea that his decision would pave the way for him to experience a life-changing opportunity.
At the age of 13, the Spaniard had become quite passionate about his role as a goalkeeper. On a regular basis, he went to the field after school to practice his skills. In order to avoid wasting time and effort, Simon’s parents enrolled him in the local youth academy of Aurrera Vitoria in 2010. While he was there, he continued to grow as a goalkeeper with the hopes of one day becoming a professional.
A teenager, he spent only one year with his first club before joining Athletic Bilbao’s youth system as a youngster in 2011. It took the Spaniard three years of hard work and dedication before he was promoted to the senior team of Basconia, where he played in the Tercera (4th) Division.
As a ball stopper, he gradually gained relevance to the youth team of his country. During that time, he joined Athletic Bilbao in 2016 and started playing for their second team. The reason Simon worked so hard to be better than Gianluigi Buffon was that he idolized him.
Following the injury to Bilboa’s first-choice goalkeeper, he gained immediate entry into the starting lineup of the team in less than 2 years. In his third appearance for his manager and teammates, he made several key saves against Real Madrid that impressed them.
After confirming that he would not be returning to the team for the 2019-20 season, he maintained his strong form and kept many clean sheets in his subsequent campaigns, sadly, he ended the season a match earlier after receiving a straight red card in an encounter against CD Leganes.
In an interesting turn of events, the talented athlete and his entire family were thrilled when he received his first call up for Spain in August 2020. During the same month, he signed a 5-year contract with Bilboa that did not contain a buyout clause.
The goalkeeper claimed that he had decided to finish his career at the Spanish club. After being included in the international squad for the first time in Spain, Simon put in an excellent performance for his national team. As a result of failing to control a back pass from the? during a match against Croatia at the Euro 2020, he caused his own goal.
In spite of this, he quickly reorganized himself and went from Cron zero to Hero as he led Spain to a 5-3 victory at the end of the match. As a result, Spain advanced to the semi-finals against Italy. Unfortunately, the match ended in a penalty shootout once again. Although Simon saved Manuel Locatelli’s penalty kick, Spain ended up getting knocked out of the competition in the end. In spite of this, he was awarded one Star of the Match during the tournament.
As they say, the rest, as they say, is history.
As a successful athlete, the goalie deserves to have a gorgeous WAG to accompany him when he is on the road. It’s clear that his cute look is reason enough for beautiful women to do anything just to be his girlfriend or wife. Simon has been quite silent about his love life for most of his life, and it is likely that he is single at the time of writing this biography.
He isn’t like many players who enjoy maintaining a social life as part of their sport. Despite having fewer than 2000 followers on his Instagram page, Simon hasn’t posted any pictures there.
For him, it is difficult to forget those early days when he was just starting out. Nevertheless, his gentility can only be seen off the pitch. It is not possible to mess with his aggressive nature during matches because he is quite passionate about what he does.
The shot-stopper earns a huge amount of money that he can use for a luxurious lifestyle. In addition, he is too secretive about how he spends his money and what he does outside of his working hours. I would like to make a note that I did not find any information concerning the cars he owned or the house he lived in while writing this biography.
In spite of his daily commitments, we are certain that Simon would have purchased a beautiful mansion where he could rest his head after a tiring day at work. He has one of the most peculiar characteristics of his household, which is their ability to captivate the hearts of their neighbors. There is no doubt that Simon owes his parents and the entire family a huge amount of gratitude for raising him as a loving and kindhearted child.
The following are some interesting facts about his father, mother, siblings, and other relatives you probably didn’t know about.
The footballer has yet to mention the name of his father to the public since he rose to fame. Several years ago, his father joined the state security forces and has been a great support to his career. It is true that Simon idolizes his dad for teaching him how to live a principled life.
During his childhood, the Spanish icon spent a lot of time with his mom, spending as much time as possible with her. She often confides in him about some of his worries, and he shares with her the joy of his success with her as well.
As mentioned earlier, Simon’s mother was also a member of the same security force as his father. Although she had a lot of work to do, she still fulfilled her maternal duties despite the tedious nature of her job.
One of the advantages of having a brother or sister is that you will probably never experience loneliness or boredom. Sadly, Simon does not seem to have any brothers or sisters. In spite of this, he has made a lot of friends who treat him as if he were their brother.
Rodrigo De Paul spent many years in the company of his grandparents, and the athlete was very similar to that. He really enjoyed every moment he got to spend with them during summer breaks.
Since Simon was a responsible kid, he usually followed his grandma to fetch water whenever the tankers on duty provided them with water. As I write this biography, I do not know anything about the uncles, aunts, or other relatives of the player.
In matters of his faith, the player does not joke around. In his early years, he was raised in a Christian home that wasn’t ashamed of its belief in Jesus Christ. As a Christian, Simon ensures that he upholds the code of conduct of his faith at all times. As a result of his religious beliefs, he has grown up with a very strong sense of morality.
There is no interest in body art on the part of the Spanish shot-stopper. One of the few reasons why he shuns tattoos is likely due to his religious background. In contrast to his compatriot, Alvaro Morata Simon has not inked a tattoo on his body as of the writing of this biography.
Simon is a player with a great deal of potential that qualifies him for a place among Spain’s elite players. It is worth noting that despite his rating being below that of David De Gea, he nevertheless became Luis Enrique’s preferred goalkeeper in most of the 2021 competitions.
There is no doubt that he has yet to reach the apex of his potential. Despite his current level of soccer prowess, he has consistently impressed his fans regardless of his ability to play the game. The following is a picture of the FIFA stats for his 2021 football career.
Unai Simon Net Worth
How much does he earn in 2023?
It was announced in July 2018 that the goalkeeper had signed a contract with an Athletic club in which he would earn a hefty salary of €1.14 million a year. As a result of crunching the numbers, it appears that he is earning €3,135 per day and €131 per hour![table id=3318 /]
During that period of time, his market value dropped to around $16.50 million. It is estimated that the goalkeeper has a net worth of €5 million.
Unai Simon In FIFA 2022
Currently, Unai Unai Simon is 26 years old and he is playing as a goalkeeper for Athletic Club de Bilbao in Spain. In FIFA 22, he has an overall rating of 82 with a potential of 85. Currently, Unai Simon has a rating of 1 star for his skill moves. When it comes to shooting, Unai Simon prefers to do so with his right foot. His work rates are Medium / Medium. Unai Simon stands at a height of 192 cm and his weight is estimated to be 88 kg, based on the information we have in our database. At the moment, Unai Simon is playing with numbers 1 and 23.[table id=3316 /]
- Simón was born in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Alava, Basque Country, and was raised in the nearby village of Murgia; he joined Athletic Bilbao’s youth system in 2011, after signing with CD Aurrerá de Vitoria.
- The star will be making his professional debut with the farm team in the Tercera División of the 2014-2015 season.
- In June 2016, Simón was promoted to the reserves but was subsequently relegated to the second division B. He immediately became a starter for the club, making 29 appearances for the team during the campaign.
- In June 2017, Unai Simon was called up to the first-team squad for the start of pre-season by the new manager, José Angel Ziganda, but he continued to play for the B team exclusively.
- On 13 July 2018, he signed a contract extension through to 2023 and was loaned out to Segunda División side Elche CF two weeks later.
- In the summer of 2018, after Kepa Arrizabalaga’s departure from the club and Iago Herrerin’s injury, Unai Simon was recalled by Athletic.
- The young midfielder appeared to have been pushed aside by the older Alex Remiro in the queue for selection, but he made his La Liga debut five days later, starting an away victory over CD Leganés by a score of 2–1.
- In just his third appearance in the league for Athletic Bilbao, Unai Simon played in a 1–1 draw with Real Madrid where he made several crucial saves and was named the player of the match.
- However, when Herrin returned to full fitness in October 2018, he was made the starting goalkeeper, with Simon’s only appearances during the following four months coming in the Copa del Rey.
- For the 2019–20 season, Unai Simon was selected as the #1 squad number, starting the campaign as the club’s first-choice keeper, while keeping a clean sheet during an opening day victory over FC Barcelona.
- Throughout the season, he continued his strong form, missing only two matches due to illness and completing 33 of those matches in the league, conceding 29 goals to finish third in the Zamora Trophy table.
- During the 37th, penultimate matchday of his season, he was sent off during the first half against CD Leganés for a ‘last man’ challenge outside the penalty area, and the subsequent suspension ended his season a game early; with just ten men on the field, Athletic Bilbao lost 2–0, ending any hopes of qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.
- In August 2020, he signed a new contract with the club that runs to the summer of 2025, without a buyout clause.
- Unai Simon was selected by Spain for both its under-19 and under-21 levels. In 2015, he was a member of the squad that won the UEFA European Under-19 Championship, although he played as the backup goalkeeper to Antonio Sivera during that tournament.
- The same year, he was part of the Basque Country under-18 team that won the regional championship in Spain.
- As of 1 September 2017, Unai Simon made his debut as part of the under-21 team against Italy.
- As a result, he was selected for the 2019 UEFA European Under-21 Championship and appeared in the first game of the group stage as Spain once again finished as champions (Sivera was once again the first choice).
- Unai Simon received his first call-up to the senior squad on 20 August 2020, to play in the first two matches of the 2020–21 UEFA Nations League.
- Despite having made a mistake that resulted in a goal a few days earlier at the club level, he was selected for his full debut on 11 November 2020 and played the entirety of a friendly against the Netherlands.
- As of 24 May 2021, Unai Simon had been included in Luis Enrique’s 24-man squad for UEFA Euro 2020.
- In all of the team’s matches, he was the main starter and he caused his own goal in the 5-3 last-16 win over Croatia when he was unable to control a long backward pass by Pedri.
- After recovering from that mistake, Luis Enrique praised his mental fortitude for having recovered from it.
- Then, after a 1–1 draw, he saved two penalties as Spain won the shootout against Switzerland in the quarterfinals, earning him the Star of the Match award.
- The semi-final against Italy ended with the same score, and Unai Simon saved the first attempt from Manuel Locatelli in the shootout, but Italy prevailed.
- Unai Simon has also been called up for the Spanish Olympic team for the delayed 2020 tournament in Japan. Despite having Unai Simon as the starting goalkeeper, they lost to Brazil in the finals.
Facts About Unai Simon
- At just 24 years old, Unai Simon exudes the confidence of a goalkeeper who has been at the top of his game for many years.
- Having been born in Vitoria, Alava, natural-born shot-stopper Unai Simon joined Lezama in 2011-12 as a 14-year-old and went on to make his way up at Athletic.
- As well as providing a strong physical presence between the sticks and making acrobatic saves, Unai Simon is also capable of playing out from the back given his unbelievable skill with the ball.
- His rise to the first team was unconventional. Due to difficult circumstances, Unai Simon had to cut short a loan spell with Elche FC and return home.
- The 18-year-old made his debut in LaLiga under then-coach Eduardo Berrizo against CD Leganés in the opening fixture of the 2018-19 campaign.
- His performance as a standout performer at the Athletic Club was one of the highlights of the 2019-20 season. It was a string of quality performances and crucial saves that brought him into the spotlight. The following season, he also finished third in the Zamora Trophy behind Thibaut Courtois and Jan Oblak.
- As a reward for his form, he was given the opportunity to sign a five-year contract extension with Athletic and to receive his first call-up to the Spanish National Team on August 20, 2020.
- During Euro 2020, he was a constant in the Spanish senior team, playing in every game as they reached the semi-finals.
- In 2020-21, he assisted Athletic in reaching the Copa del Rey semi-finals by saving two penalties.
- Since his first appearance, Unai Simon has played 92 matches and conceded 100 goals.
In the build-up to the Euros, the debate centered on who the keeper would be. No one seemed to be sure, except Luis Enrique. Unai Simon played every game and is now Spain’s No. 1.
Despite his young age, Unai Simon has proven himself to be a good communicator and organizer of the defense. He is vocal at the back and has a good sense of defensive formations. Simon is also an authoritative presence at the back.
Spain national football team
A look at Unai’s life story reveals that our career path is not solely dependent on our childhood dreams when it comes to our career path. The fact that kids compelled him to stay in the post against his wishes was an opportunity for him to build himself up.
The fact that Unai Simon worked so hard meant that Luis Enrique and the citizens of Spain trusted him to help them reach the semi-finals of Euro 2020. Of course, he did, and since that time, everyone has been singing his praises around the country.
In our opinion, the parents should be commended for the fact that they have devoted a large part of their money to enrolling Simon in a sports academy. It is true they will be very proud of the fact that he never wasted the opportunity he had to succeed in his endeavors.
Thank you for taking out your precious time to read Woodgram’s version of Unai Simon’s Biography. Our team of writers and researchers care about the accuracy of our content on Spanish Footballers. Please let us know if you spot any wrongs in our article.
On a final note, we would appreciate your feedback (below as a comment) on what you think about Dennis Praet, including our Biography of him. Now, stay tuned for more Spanish Football Stories from Woodgram.