Dennis Rader is an American serial killer also known as the BTK “Bind, Torture, Kill” Killer or the BTK Strangler. He started his murdering spree in the mid-1970s, terrorizing the citizens of Kansas for more than 30 years before he was finally arrested. Convicted of murdering ten victims, he was planning to attack another victim at the time of his arrest. Having developed a morbid fascination with extreme violence as a young boy, he often fantasized in his head about torturing and killing others. Known as a shy and studious boy, he had a darker side to his persona even as a teenager he used to kill dogs and cats in secret.
With time he grew bolder and began targeting human beings, killing his first known victims the Otero family in early 1974. He cleverly evaded being identified as a suspect and proceeded to kill several others, taking the final toll of his victims to ten. A narcissist who took pride in the murders he committed, he sent a series of anonymous letters to the police along with a few pieces of evidence claiming himself to be responsible for the murders. These letters subsequently led to his arrest in 2005. Currently, he is serving ten consecutive life sentences at El Dorado Correctional Facility in Kansas.
Dennis Rader Biography
Dennis Rader, in full Dennis Lynn Rader, byname BTK or BTK Killer, (born March 9, 1945, Pittsburg, Kansas, U.S.), American serial killer who murdered 10 people over a span of three decades before his arrest and confession in 2005. He called himself BTK because he bound, tortured, and killed his victims. Rader was raised in Wichita, Kansas. He later claimed that as a youth he had killed animals and developed violent sexual fantasies that involved bondage.
In the 1960s he served in the U.S. Air Force, and in 1970 he returned to Wichita, where he married and had two children. He held various jobs, including a brief stint as a factory worker for the Coleman Company, a maker of camping equipment. In 1979 he graduated from Wichita State University, where he studied criminal justice. During this time he began working for ADT, a home-security company, and in 1991 he became a compliance officer in Park City, Kansas. Rader was active in his church, and he served as a Boy Scout leader.
Childhood & Early Life
- Dennis Lynn Rader was born on March 9, 1945, in Pittsburg, Kansas, the U.S. to Dorothea Mae Rader (née Cook) and William Elvin Rader as one of their four sons. He was raised in Wichita. His father was a member of the US Marine Corps, who later worked for the electric utility KG&E.
- He attended Riverview Elementary School. As a young boy, he was reserved and quiet. Even though he started developing some disturbing habits during his childhood, he managed to keep them hidden from the world.
- As an adolescent, he fantasized about tying up and raping girls. Around this time, he also started killing animals like dogs and cats by torturing and hanging them. However, he was good at hiding his dark side and came across to the outside world as a polite and shy young man.
- He graduated from Wichita Heights High School in 1963. He then worked for a few months before entering the Kansas Wesleyan College in 1965. He studied for only two semesters there and joined the US Air Force in 1966.
- Dennis Rader spent four years on active duty in the Air Force. Over the course of his tenure, he received the Air Force Good Conduct Medal, the Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon and the National Defense Service Medal. He was discharged from active duty in 1970. He would serve two more years in the reserves.
Dennis Rader daughter
on the 25th of February 2005, a few minutes to noon the life of Kerri Rawson (BTK daughter) life changed completely. She has spent every day for the past 14 years trying to make peace with the news she heard.
The FBI agent (who arrived at her Detroit-area apartment) told her that, her father, had just been arrested for 10 brutal murders. Calling himself BTK for “bind, torture and kill” the loving, protective father. With his wife, they have a son“Brian Rader’.
She thought she knew had terrified her hometown of (Wichita, Kan., ) between 1974 and 1991. Rawson who is 40 years old as for 2018 has written a book tilted (A Serial Killer’s Daughter) that reports how her horror and anger were tempered by the love she felt for her father. Rowson tells people that she can do anything that can make her not to be a serial killer’s daughter.”
The perfect inhuman of her father’s crimes haven’t made her journey easy. Rader often spent months repeating his victims most of whom he check slowly after binding their arms and legs with rope. Then hid mementos from his kills beneath the floorboards in the family’s linen closet.
Dennis Rader Murders/Crimes
- On January 15, 1974, Rader strangled to death four members of the Otero family in their Wichita home—parents Joseph and Julie, and two of their children, Josephine and Joseph Jr.—before leaving with a watch and a radio. Strangulation and souvenir-taking would become part of his modus operandi or pattern of behavior. He also left semen at the scene and later said that he derived sexual pleasure from killing. The Oteros’ 15-year-old son, Charlie, came home later that day and discovered the bodies.
- Rader struck again a few months later: On April 4, 1974, he waited in the apartment of a young woman named Kathryn Bright, before stabbing and strangling her when she returned home. Rader also twice shot her brother, Kevin, though he survived. Kevin later described Rader as “an average-sized guy, bushy mustache, ‘psychotic’ eyes,” according to a Time magazine article.
Dennis Rader Victims
Dennis Rader Wife, Personal Life
- Dennis Rader married Paula Dietz on May 22, 1971. The couple had two children, a son, and a daughter. Rader maintained the image of being a good husband and father, and his family had no inkling about his murderous streak.
- Shortly after Rader was arrested in 2005, his shocked wife was granted an immediate divorce. His children to have cut off contacts from him since then.
Where Is Dennis Rader Imprisoned?
Dennis Rader Remains In “Special Management” At El Dorado Correctional Facility, Prison Records Show. He Has Been Held There Since Aug. 19, 2005, According To Kansas Department Of Corrections Records.
What Was Dennis Rader’s Job?
Who Is Dennis Rader’s Wife?