A Colombian professional footballer, Cristian Eduardo Zapata Valencia (born 30 September 1986) more famously known as Cristian Zapata plays as a center-back for San Lorenzo and the Colombian national team. As a quick and physically powerful defender, he is well known for his hard marking of opponents and strength in the air. He is usually positioned as a center-back. He is naturally right-footed but is equally comfortable playing on either side of the pitch as a full-back. Having begun his career with Deportivo Cali in 2004, Zapata moved to Udinese the following year.
Zapata spent several seasons with Udinese before signing for Villarreal. In 2012, he returned to Italy and joined AC Milan. Upon the expiration of his contract with the Rossoneri in 2019, he joined Italian top-flight rival Genoa, before joining Argentine Serie A side, San Lorenzo, in 2021. He was Colombia’s national team representative at 2011, 2015, 2016, and 2019 Copa América tournaments as well as the 2014 and 2018 FIFA World Cups.
He was married to his wife a beautiful woman named Delfi Renata Obregon and divorced later. Michel and Itzell Paulina are the couple’s two daughters. Zapata frequently travels with his family to different places around the world on vacation. In May 2013, Zapata’s aunt Limbaina Zapata was kidnapped. A ransom of $150 million was demanded by the kidnappers. On the following day, the Colombian National Police located the thieves and released Limbaina Zapata without incident. A fellow professional footballer, Duvan Zapata, is his cousin.
Cristian Zapata Bio/Wiki
The table below reveals concise information about Cristian Zapata. It gives you the ability to read through the Colombian footballer’s profile as fast as possible.
|Birth Name||Cristián Eduardo Zapata Valencia|
|Nickname/ Popular Name/ Shirt Name||Cristián Zapata|
|Age||36 (as in 2022) Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Libra|
|Birth Place||Padilla, Colombia|
|Date of Birth||30 September 1986|
|Home Town||Padilla, Colombia|
|Hobbies||Watching Movies, Horse Riding, Swimming|
|Mother's Name||Ana Valencia|
|Father's Name||José Zapata|
|Brother(s)||Duvan Zapata (cousin)|
|Sister(s)||2 - Names Not Available|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Delfi Renata Obregón (Ex.)|
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Wife/Spouse||Delfi Renata Obregón (divorced)|
|Children||Daughter(s)- • Michel|
• Itzell Paulina
|School||Deportivo Cali's youth academy|
|College/University||Deportivo Cali's youth academy|
|Career Manager/ Player Agent||Sebastian Eduardo Olivieri|
|Debut For Current Club Team||• 2021: CA San Lorenzo de Almagro|
|Debut For Current Senior International Team||• 2007-2018: Colombian national football team|
|Jersey Number (2018-19)||• 3 (CA San Lorenzo de Almagro)|
• 2 (Colombian national football team)
|Current Teams||• CA San Lorenzo de Almagro|
• Colombian national football team (2007-2018)
|Position||Defender - Centre-Back|
• Supercoppa Italiana: 2016
• South American Youth Championship: 2005
• Copa América third place: 2016
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 187 cm|
in meters- 1.87 m
in feet inches- 6'2"
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 82 kg|
in pounds- 181 lbs
|Chest Size||42 inches|
|Biceps Size||13 inches|
|Waist Size||32 inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Colombian|
|Distinctive Features||Not Available|
|Dress Size||8 U.S.|
|Shoe Size||10 U.S.|
|Favorite Playing Position||Defender|
|Favorite Car||Not Available|
|Favorite Food||Fruits and Veg|
|Favorite Player||Not Available|
|Favorite Pet Animal||Dog|
|Favorite Cell Phone/Brand||Iphone|
Cristian Zapata Net Worth
In 2022, what will Cristian Zapata’s salary be?
In Jul 2021 Cristian Zapata signed a contract with CA San Lorenzo de Almagro that ends in Dec 2022 that netted him a whopping salary of 2.222 Million Euros (£1,950,356) per year. We have crunched the numbers, this means he earns £5,358 per day and £223 per hour!
Salary & Net Worth Updated 2022
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$2 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||$1 Million|
|SALARY UPDATE 2022||His current club salary and several other earnings are included in the salary data below.|
|Annual or Per Year Salary||2.222 Million Euros (£1,950,356)|
|Per Month Salary||£162,530|
|Per Week Salary||£37,506|
|Per Day Salary||£5,358|
|Per Hour Salary||£223|
|Per Minute Salary||£3.7|
|Current Contract||With CA San Lorenzo de Almagro|
|Contract Signed/Extension||Jul 28, 2021|
|Contract Expires||Dec 31, 2022|
|Contract Signing Amount or Transfer Fee||Free Transfer|
|Market Value||$330 Thousand|
|Highest Market Value||$13.75 Million (Aug 6, 2009)|
|Income Source||Professional Footballer|
|Cars Collection||Not Available|
His stock is on the rise thanks to his performances on the pitch. Cristian Zapata has an estimated net worth of around $2 Million, and his market value is about $330 thousand.
Cristian Zapata FIFA 22 – Potential And Rating
In FIFA 22, Cristian Zapata has an overall rating of 72 with a potential of 72. Cristian Zapata has got a 2-star skillmoves rating.
Cristian Zapata FIFA 22 Stats
Overall Rating In FIFA 22
Potential In FIFA 22
|74||Heading Accuracy||24||FK Accuracy|
|52||Short Passing||58||Long Passing|
|74||Defensive Awareness||71||Sliding Tackle|
He prefers to shoot with his right foot. His workrates are Medium / High. Cristian Zapata’s height is 187 cm and his weight is estimated at 82 kg according to our database. Currently, Cristian Zapata is playing with number 3.
- As a member of Deportivo Cali’s youth academy, Zapata was quickly promoted to the first team in 2004.
- During his first season with Los Azucareros, Zapata played a total of 25 games while also establishing himself as a key component of the team’s defensive line.
- Several European teams were interested in acquiring him after he displayed quality defensive attributes in his debut season. Ultimately, his destiny lay in Udine, and he ended up joining the Serie A club Udinese.
- Furthermore, this move to European football occurred one month before his 19th birthday and ultimately resulted in a transfer fee of €550,000.
- Udinese signed Zapata and teammate Abel Aguilar from Deportivo Cali on 31 August 2005. During the U-20 World Cup, both players were scouted by Udinese.
- In Serie A, he made his first appearance against Messina Pelero on 19 November 2005.
- Zapata signed a new five-year contract on 18 September 2006. During that season, he started 35 games in Serie A. On 21 February 2006, Cristian Zapata employed Claudio Pasqualin (of P.D.P. SRL) as his agent but fired him on 9 July 2007.
- Pasqualin was awarded €38,900 by the Tribunale Nazionale di Arbitrato per lo Sport in 2009 as an agent fee owed by Zapata (5% of annual salary multiplied by two seasons, 2006-07 and 2007-08).
- Zapata, Andrea Dossena, Roman Eremenko, and Simone Pepe were awarded new contracts in October 2007.
- As a result of an injury sustained in June 2008, Zapata missed six months of play. In the 2009–10 season, Zapata was usually paired with Andrea Coda as a central defender.
During A Brief Period Of Time In Villarreal
- Cristián Zapata claimed that many top European clubs were interested in signing him after the 2010–11 season. On 12 July 2011, Zapata signed with Villarreal CF.
- Cristián Zapata made his Champions League debut against Udinese on Wednesday, 17 August 2011.
- On 29 August, he made his La Liga debut against FC Barcelona at Camp Nou. Despite being deployed as a right-back for the entire game, Zapata and Villareal were defeated 5–0.
- Initially, Zapata would be a regular starter and a key player for Miguel Angel Lotina. Additionally, he alternated between playing at right-back and at center-back.
- After suffering a knee injury on 31 October, Zapata was sidelined for 35 days. His subsequent absences included two matches in the UEFA Champions League group stage against Manchester City and Bayern Munich.
- After returning from injury in the final match of the group stage against Napoli, he made his debut for the club. Villareal finished last in their group with 0 points as a result of a 0–2 loss.
- Zapata played the entire game against Atletico Madrid on the final matchday of the season as Villareal was relegated, with fellow countryman Radamel Falcao scoring the only goal.
- During his time at Villareal, Zapata played 36 matches and provided one assist.
- Villarreal announced in August 2012 that Zapata would be joining AC Milan on a season-long loan.
- During Milan’s 2–0 victory over Barcelona in the Champions League, Zapata made headline news after deflecting the ball onto his hand and landing in front of Kevin-Prince Boateng who scored seconds later.
- Despite the fact that the referee did not deem it an attempted touch of the ball, Boateng’s goal was counted, while Zapata was credited with an assist. As can be seen from the replay, the ball made contact with his face.
- Zapata was praised for his defense and counter-attacking abilities during his first Milan derby against Inter Milan.
Between 2013 And 2017
- Zapata signed a contract with Milan in 2013 that expires in the summer of 2016.
- Zapata was sidelined for two months in January 2015 due to an injury. As a result of his recovery, he appeared as an unused substitute.
- Due to the absence of team captain Riccardo Montolivo and third captain Mattia De Sciglio due to injuries, Zapata was named captain in his first league game of the season, a 0-1 loss at home to Sampdoria.
- In addition to Zapata, vice-captain Ignazio Abate appeared in the game as a substitute.
- Zapata scored an equalizer in the 97th minute of the Milan derby against Inter Milan on 15 April 2017.
- There was a 2–2 draw in the match. Zapata gave away his jersey as a gift to Li Yonghong shortly after the game, which was the first Milan game under the ownership of Rossoneri Sport Investment, headed by Li Yonghong.
- He was confirmed as vice-captain on 17 April 2018 as he retained the armband during the match against S.S.C. instead of Giacomo Bonaventura. In Napoli, where Leonardo Bonucci was unavailable and Giacomo Bonaventura was playing, he celebrated this news by performing with his former Villarreal CF teammate Mateo Musacchio in an outstanding performance.
- In the 2018–19 season, Zapata was injured and was the third-choice center-back behind Musacchio and Alessio Romagnoli.
- He made his first appearance of the season on 4 October, when Milan defeated Olympiacos 3–1.
- In his last five matches for the club in Europe, Zapata started four matches, including the final match away to Olympiacos, where he scored twice in the second half, two minutes apart.
- Olympiacos entered the match three points ahead of Milan, seeking to qualify alongside Real Betis for the knockout stage.
- Zapata’s goals made the difference between Milan and Olympiacos. Milan would have advanced on away goals had the own goal been scored, whereas Olympiacos would have advanced on aggregate had the proper goal been scored.
- With a late penalty by Kostas Fortounis for Olympiacos, Milan was eliminated from the group stage for the first time since 2001.
- In Serie A, Zapata made his debut against Chievo Verona on 7 October. On 8 November, Musacchio suffered an injury against Real Betis and Zapata did not play regularly.
- After picking up an injury in Milan’s first Serie A match of 2019, away to Genoa, Zapata’s tenure in the team came to an end.
- It would be two months before Musacchio was named to a match-day squad, and by the time he returned, Romagnoli had cemented his position in the back line. He made two more starts during the remainder of the season, finishing the campaign with 20 appearances in all competitions as his contract with the club expired.
As of 2 July 2019, Zapata has signed a free transfer contract with Serie A club Genoa for a period of two years.
In signing for Genoa, he became the first Colombian player.
On July 18, 2021, he signed a one and half year contract with San Lorenzo and till now he made 30 appearances and scored a total of 2 goals.
- Zapata played for the Colombian Under-20 team which won the 2005 South American Youth Championship and competed in the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship, which was lost to Argentina in the round of 16. In the first match of the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification series, Zapata was unavailable.
- Zapata finally received his first opportunity since under new coach Jose Pekerman in the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification match against South American leaders Argentina.
- While defending the ball from Gonzalo Higuain in the 26th minute, Higuain lost his balance and kicked Zapata in the thigh.
- In response, Zapata questioned him and kicked him back, resulting in Zapata and Higuain receiving red cards.
- As a result of Zapata’s inability to control himself, the referee was able to give Higuain the red card while the referee simply walked away, allowing Colombia to have an 11-man advantage over Argentina.
- His name was included in Colombia’s preliminary 35-man squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia in May 2018.
- The 23-man final Colombian squad for the 2019 Copa América was announced on 30 May 2019.
Cristian Zapata is 36 years old.
Cristian Zapata is 187 cm or 6 ft 2 in tall.
Cristian Zapata’s preferred foot is right.
Cristian Zapata is from Colombia.
After reading his biography, you will agree with me that Cristian Zapata worked so hard to achieve success. Even poor kids from the slum can dream big and achieve their dreams thanks to him.
It is important to note that his father and mother were key catalysts in his success story. His career life would not be the same without their contributions. They deserve all the accolades for what they have done.
In addition, his sibling’s and friends’ efforts should not be overlooked. As a result of them, he never experienced loneliness or depression during his childhood. Cristian Zapata has grown into a cheerful youth as a result of them.
Here Is An Appreciation Note For Your Consideration
Thank you for reading this engaging article about the life journey of the Colombian footballer. Hopefully, Cristian Zapata’s childhood story has made you believe that patience and persistence can overcome anything.
At WoodGram, we strive for fairness and accuracy in our biographies. Feel free to contact us or leave a comment below if you found anything fishy in the article on Cristian Zapata.