Steve Harvey is an American all-round entertainer who wears various hats – a comedian, a television host, a producer, and a radio personality just to name a few of his job titles. Harvey kickstarted his career as a stand-up comedian and soon progressed to become an actor. Interestingly, his television and film introductions came along almost concurrently. However, what shot him to stardom was his flagship show, ‘The Steve Harvey Show,’ which ran from 1996 until 2002. The show earned him a household name and brought him immense fame.
What followed was a stream of other shows, such as ‘The Steve Harvey Morning Show’, the ‘Steve Talk Show’, ‘Family Feud’, ‘Little Big Shots’, and its spinoff ‘Little Big Shots: Forever Young’ and ‘Steve Harvey’s Funderdome’. Over the years, Harvey has won five Daytime Emmy Awards and 14 NAACP Image Award in various categories. He is definitely one of the most talented American entertainers of recent decades.
Steve Harvey Wiki/Bio
|Birth Name||Broderick Stephen Harvey|
|Age||(as in 2020) 63 Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Capricorn|
|Birth Place||Welch, West Virginia, U.S.|
|Date of Birth||17 January 1957|
|Residence||• Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.|
• Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|Home Town||Welch, West Virginia, U.S.|
|Mother's Name||Eloise Vera|
|Father's Name||Jesse Harvey (Coal Miner)|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Marcia Harvey (1979-1994)|
• Mary Lee Shackelford (1995-2005)
• Marjorie Bridges (1987-1989, 2005-Present)
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Wife/Spouse||• Marjorie Elaine Harvey|
• Mary Lee Harvey
• Marcia Harvey
|Marriage Date||• June 25, 2007 (Marjorie Elaine Harvey)|
• June 21, 1996 (Mary Lee Harvey)
• 1980 (Marcia Harvey)
|Children||Son- • Wynton Harvey|
• Broderick Harvey Jr.
• Jason Harvey
Daughters- • Lori Harvey
• Morgan Harvey
• Brandi Harvey
• Karli Harvey
|School||Glenville High School in Glenville, Cleveland, Ohio|
|College/University||• Kent State University|
• West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia
|Profession||Actor, author, comedian, radio and television host|
|Brands Endorsed||• In 2000, he appeared in commercials for Burger King, then in 2014, he was seen in Strayer University commercials, his won website Delightful.com commercial.|
• He has endorsed BlackPeopleMeet.com, Glory Foods, Green Dot and many others.
|Career Manager||Richard De La Font Agency|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 185 cm|
in meters- 1.85 m
in feet inches- 6’1”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 104 kg|
in pounds- 229 lbs
|Chest Size||48 Inches|
|Biceps Size||16 Inches|
|Waist Size||41 Inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Black|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Dress Size||Not Available|
|Shoe Size||11 (U.S.)|
|Favorite Holiday Beverage||Creamy Hot Chocolate|
Harvey was born in Welch, West Virginia, and is the son of Jesse Harvey, a coal digger, and Eloise Vera. His initial name is Broderick, titled after actor Broderick Crawford of the TV series Highway Patrol. Harvey’s family shifted to Cleveland, Ohio, living on East 112th Street, which was renamed Steve Harvey Way in 2015. He graduated from Glenville High School in 1974.
Shortly after high school, he joined Kent State University and West Virginia University and is a member of the Omega Psi Phi fraternity.
Harvey has been married three times and has seven children (four biological and three stepchildren). From his first marriage to Marcia Harvey, he produces two daughters (twins Brandi and Karli) and one son (Broderick Harvey Jr.). From his second marriage to Mary Shackelford, Harvey has another son called Wynton.
The couple separated in November 2005. In 2011, Collin County, Texas-based 199th District Court Judge Robert Dry expressed concern about Mary Harvey declaring false information about the divorce, with the judge recommending that she had not been left materially poverty-stricken.
In June 2007, Harvey wedded Marjorie Bridges, who he states is responsible for making him a better man and changing his life. Marjorie Harvey is mother to three children (Morgan, Jason, and Lori), all of whom Steve adopted. Steve and Marjorie have five grandchildren: three through Jason’s marriage to his wife Amanda, one through Morgan’s marriage to her husband Kareem, and one through Karli’s marriage to husband Ben.
Through 2017, Harvey and his family split their time between Atlanta, where his radio show was televised and Family Feud was recorded, and Chicago, where he hosted his talk show for NBCUniversal from the company’s Chicago studios, although he would host his radio show there as well. In 2018, Harvey led his talk show, radio show, and Family Feud to Los Angeles.
Harvey is a Christian and has credited his success to his faith in God. Harvey reports that he has resulted in a vegan diet for health reasons and has presented the rationale for his diet on his TV program.
Steve Harvey Net Worth
Steve Harvey has a net worth of $200 million.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2019 (Approx)||$200 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2018(Approx)||Under Review|
|Annual Salary||$45 Million|
|Income Source||Actor, author, comedian, radio and television host|
Between June 2017 and June 2018, Steve Harvey earned $45 million from his various endeavors. He earned the same amount between June 2018 and June 2019.
Out of his approximately $45 million an average annual salary, at least $10 million comes from his hosting duties on Family Feud. Another $20 million comes from his radio hosting services.
Some other ventures Harvey has been included in the release of the book “Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man” in 2009, which caused the 2012 ensemble film “Think Like a Man”. The hardcover version of the book spent 64 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list.
He has also written the books “Straight Talk, No Chaser” (2010), “Act Like A Success” (2014), and “Jump: Take the Leap of Faith to Achieve Your Life of Abundance” (2016). Furthermore, in 2014 he launched the dating site Delightful, in a joint enterprise with IAC. Together with Ellen DeGeneres, Harvey co-created the show “Little Big Shots” in 2016, which he also hosted till 2019.
In 2017 Harvey combined all of his business ventures under Steven Harvey Global (SHG). Under SHG is his production company East One Twelve, as well as the company Harvey Events, accompanied by his daughter Morgan and her husband.
SHG also has the rights to international versions of “Family Feud”, declaring an African version of the show for 2020. He has proceeded with his various business projects under SHG, including the launch of the Sand and Soul Festival in 2017, a yearly event featuring live music, comedy, and a Q&A session with Harvey himself.
In February 2018, Steve and Marjorie rented a large mansion in the gated community of Beverly Park which sits atop Beverly Hills, California. The 12,000 square foot house, which sits on just under 2 acres, was at one time scheduled for lease at $125,000 PER MONTH but the Harveys arranged to talk the owners down to $110,000 per month. That works out to around $1.3 million per year in rent. At one point in 2007, the house was listed for sale for $23.5 million.
Outside of Los Angeles, Steve Harvey has a 9,000 square foot mansion in Atlanta which was bought in 2010 for $3.4 million, and an equally-large mansion outside of Dallas, Texas that sits on 4 acres. In 2013 Steve purchased a 5,500 square-foot house in Chicago on the 88th floor of Trump International. He marketed that property in 2018 for $7.7 million.
In May 2020 Steve paid $15 million to get Tyler Perry’s one-time mansion in Atlanta. The gated, 35,000 square-foot home sits on 17-acres. Tyler purchased the house in 2017, poured millions into renovations, and sold it in 2016 to an evangelist named David Turner for $17.5 million. Turner seems to be taking a $2.5 million loss on the home.
Steve Harvey Movies And TV Shows
- Before starting his career in comedy, Steve Harvey served as an autoworker, insurance salesman, carpet cleaner, and even a mailman. His first ever comedy appearance was on October 8, 1985, at Hilarities Comedy Club in Cleveland, Ohio.
- In 1990, Harvey played in the Second Annual Johnnie Walker National Comedy Search. His stint at the talent hunt earned him a chance to host the music TV show, ‘It’s Showtime at the Apollo’. Finally, he got a starring character in the ABC show, ‘Me and the Boys’ in 1994.
- In 1996, he got a big breakthrough in his career when he began hosting his flagship show, ‘The Steve Harvey Show,’ which ran until 2002. The show was particularly very successful in the African-American community.
- Alongside his television career, Harvey maintained presenting his stand-up comedy acts. He performed various pieces with other stand-up comedians, all of which were later collected into a DVD film titled, ‘The Original Kings of Comedy’.
- In 2003, Harvey came up with the show, ‘Steve Harvey’s Big Time Challenge’. The variety show had him play the roles of both a comedian and a host. The show aired on WB Network until 2005.
- During this time, he even authored a book by the name, ‘Steve Harvey’s Big Time’.
- Having achieved a reputation for himself both on TV and on the stage, Harvey tried his hand at the big screen in 2003. He starred in films, ‘The Fighting Temptations’ and ‘Racing Stripes’ (supporting role) that year.
- By mid-2005, Harvey was producing waves on all mediums of entertainment – as an actor, entertainer, author, and TV host. He wrote the critically acclaimed bestseller, ‘Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man’, and soon followed it up with the film, ‘Think Like a Man’.
- In 2008, he hosted a career-focused show for teens named, ‘the Disney Dreamers Academy.’
- Two years later, Harvey became the host of the television show, ‘Family Feud’. The show that was suffering from low ratings went on to become the second most-watched daytime syndicated show. Additionally, Harvey also hosted Celebrity Family Feud in 2010.
- Harvey’s 27-year long journey as a stand-up comedian finally came to an end in August 2012 when he gave his last performance as a stand-up comedian at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
- A month following his final stand-up act, Harvey debuted with the self-titled talk show, ‘Steve Harvey’. It continued until 2016 after which a new syndicated talk show by the name, ‘Steve’, was launched in November 2016. The latter show allowed Harvey greater creative freedom.
- Television and films apart, Harvey has also been an integral part of the radio. He hosts a weekday-morning radio program, ‘The Steve Harvey Morning Show,’ which began broadcasting in 2005 and continues to air up until now.
- Harvey has worked as the host for the Miss Universe pageant since 2015. He has hosted the final events in Las Vegas, Philippines, and the recent one in Las Vegas.
- In 2015, Harvey unexpectedly declared Miss Colombia, Ariadna Gutiérrez, as the winner of the Miss Universe title instead of Miss Philippines, Pia Wurtzbach. The error was fixed a few moments after Gutiérrez was mistakenly crowned.
|2000||The Original Kings of Comedy|
|2003||The Fighting Temptations|
Love Don't Cost a Thing
|2004||Johnson Family Vacation|
You Got Served
|2006||Steve Harvey: Don't Trip He Ain't Through with Me Yet|
|2009 ||Madea Goes to Jail|
|2012||Think Like a Man|
TV Shows & Serials List
|1993–2000, 2016–2018||Showtime at the Apollo|
|1994–1995||Me and the Boys|
|1996–2002||The Steve Harvey Show|
|2001||The Proud Family|
|2002, 2003||Essence Awards|
|2002||My Wife and Kids|
|2003–2005||Steve Harvey's Big Time Challenge|
|2004, 2005||BET Comedy Awards|
|2010||Who Wants To Be a Millionaire|
|2012||Praise the Lord|
|2013||NAACP Image Awards|
|2015||Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee|
|2015–present||Celebrity Family Feud|
|2016–2018||Little Big Shots|
|2017||Steve Harvey's Funderdome|
Little Big Shots: Forever Young
|2019–2020||WWE Network Special|
|2020–present||Steve on Watch|
Facts About Steve Harvey
- Steve’s primary name is “Broderick” and is named after actor Broderick Crawford.
- He along with his family has existed at East 112th Street, Cleveland, Ohio and hence the path was called as Steve Harvey Way in 2015 to honor him.
- Steve is a part of the Omega Psi Phi fraternity.
- Steve was beforehand a boxer.
- The successful comedian has also served as an autoworker, a carpet cleaner, an insurance salesman, and a mailman.
- On October 8, 1985, the comedian did his first stand-up comedy act which was at Hilarities Comedy Club in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Steve was even homeless during the late 1980s. He was residing in his 1976 Ford car when he was not doing comedy gigs. Generally, he used to take showers at a gas station or swimming pool showers.
- Steve hosted the Miss Universe 2015 pageant held in Las Vegas in December 2015. He mistakenly announced that Miss Colombia, Ariadna Gutiérrez (who was really the first runner-up) is the new winner. But, in reality, Miss Philippines, Pia Wurtzbach (born in Germany) was the real winner, which he told a few minutes after Miss Colombia was crowned. Later, he confessed to both the ladies.
- When Steve was homeless, he was supported by Rich and Becky Liss who gave him a carpet cleaning contract, and side by side, he was making his name as a comedian.
- In October 2013, he got the 2,497th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- In 2014, he started his own dating website titled Delightful.com.
Why did Steve Harvey Show Get Cancelled?
According to sources, the move angered NBCUniversal executives, as it cost the company its ownership stake in the show, and is the probable reason for its end. Steve’s producers are reportedly trying to shop the show to other outlets. Harvey will remain on the air in his longtime gig hosting Family Feud.
What disease does Steve Harvey have?
Harvey began running marathons and half-marathons at age 55 as a way to redefine and continue challenging himself as he entered middle age. But he was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) in summer 2014, and subsequently underwent treatment for a year. And Harvey’s cancer battles didn’t end there.
Was the Steve Harvey's family feud Cancelled?
News broke earlier this month that the Family Feud host’s daytime talk show on NBC was getting canceled to make room for Kelly Clarkson’s hour-long program launching in September 2019. But even in light of this bad news, Steve is keeping his head up and continuing to do what he loves, giving advice to others.
Whats Steve Harvey doing now?
Luckily for Harvey, he has a number of other jobs that he will likely continue. The comedian has been hosting Family Feud for almost 10 years and hosts the celebrity version of the show, as well. He has also hosted the Miss Universe pageant, Fox’s New Year’s special, and Showtime at the Apollo.