Sigourney Weaver is an actress from the United States. Weaver was chosen Top 20 in Channel 4’s ranking of the 100 Greatest Movie Actors of All Time, making her one of just two women in the Number 20.
Weaver is well known for her role as Ellen Ripley in the Alien trilogy, which is recognized as one of the most important female protagonists in film history. Weaver has received several nominations and awards over her career, including two Golden Globe and a BAFTA.
Sigourney Weaver Bio/Wiki[table id=2722 /]
Susan Weaver was born on 8 October 1949, in New York City, to former actress Elizabeth Inglis and American television executive Pat Weaver.
Weaver began adopting the pseudonym Sigourney at the age of 14, borrowing it from a supporting role in The Great Gatsby.
Prior enrolling at the Ethel Walker School, she studied at the Brearley School as well as the Chapin School in New York. By the age of 11, Weaver had allegedly grown to a height of 5 ft 10 in.
Weaver toured Israel in 1967, soon before becoming 18, and spent several months volunteering on a kibbutz. She went to Sarah Lawrence College after returning to the United States.
Weaver switched to Stanford as an English major following her freshman year. She was heavily interested with theatre at Stanford. She finally earned a B.A. in English in 1972.
Weaver then enrolled to School of Drama at Yale University and received a Master of Fine Arts from Yale in 1974. During this time, she was cast in a musical adaptation of The Frogs. She also collaborated with Meryl Streep on some other project.
She had largely worked in theatre and only performed commercials as well as a few television appearances before her on-screen breakout in Alien.
Sigourney Weaver Net Worth
Sigourney Weaver’s net worth is approximately $65 million.[table id=2726 /]
- In 1977, Sigourney Weaver made her film debut in Woody Allen’s Annie Hall, in which she performed a supporting part opposite Allen. Despite the fact that her involvement was brief, she was noticed.
- In 1979, she got the part of Ellen Ripley in the blockbuster film Alien. The film was a big success, and Weaver repeated her role in three following sequels.
- She appeared in The Year of Living Dangerously, alongside Mel Gibson, in addition to the Alien trilogy. She also appeared in the films Ghostbusters and its sequel Ghostbusters II.
- She appeared in films such as Working Girl and Gorillas in the Mist in 1988. Weaver won Golden Globe Awards for Best Supporting Actress & Best Actress for these two films, respectively.
- Sigourney Weaver too was shortlisted for a Academy Award in Best Supporting Actress category for her performance in Working Girl, as well as Best Actress for her performance in Gorillas in the Mist.
- In 1992, Weaver starred in the film Alien 3. The same year, she starred as Queen Isabella in the film 1492: Conquest of Paradise.
- She starred in a number of films in the early and late 1990s, including Jeffrey and The Ice Storm. She was nominated for a ‘Golden Globe’ and won a ‘BAFTA Award’ for The Ice Storm.
- Weaver acted in films such as The Village, Holes, Vantage Point, Heartbreakers, and Baby Mama during the 2000s.
- In 2009, she starred in her debut television film, Prayers for Bobby, in which she portrayed Mary Griffith. Sigourney Weaver was nominated for a Emmy Award, a Golden Globe Award, as well as a Screen Actors Guild Award for her performance in this film.
- Weaver teamed up with filmmaker James Cameron and acted in the big sci-fi film Avatar in 2009.
- In addition to performing, Weaver has voiced animated characters in animated films such as Happily N’Ever After and Wall-E.
- During the early 2010s and mid 2010s, Sigourney Weaver reprised her role in both Alien movies and Avater film series. She also acted in number of film during this period including Exodus: Gods and Kings and Chappie.
- Weaver starred as Alexandra Reid, the female villain in the online serial ‘The Defenders, in 2017.
- In 2019, she portrayed ‘The Myth Speaker’ in an installment of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, a renowned fantasy online TV series.
- Sigourney Weaver starred as Margaret in the American-Irish-Canadian film My Salinger Year in 2020. That year, she participated in an installment of the French Television series Call My Agent! named Sigourney.
- Weaver will play Dana Barrett again in Ghostbusters: Afterlife, which premiered on 19th November 2021.
Sigourney Weaver Movies[table id=2727 /]
- Sigourney Weaver is often regarded as the undisputed queen of science fiction films.
- Weaver was recognised for her efforts in science fiction movies at the 2010 Scream Awards.
- She has also appeared in various plays and Off-Broadway productions in addition to movies.
- Weaver’s performance in the Broadway play ‘Hurlyburly was well-received, and she was nominated for a Tony Award.
- Sigourney Weaver has been nominated for the Academy Award multiple times for her excellent performances in films.
- Sigourney Weaver has a daughter, Charlotte Simpson with stage director husband named Jim Simpson.
- Weaver was named one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in the movie industry by the Empire magazine in 1995.
- Weaver’s environmentalist work was also recognised by the Explorers Club.
- Sigourney Weaver is proficient in French and German in addition to English.
No, her real name is Susan.
For her first Alien film she was paid $35000. In her recent Alien film she was paid $11 million.
Yes, she is worth $65 miilion.