The actress, theatre director, and musician Saba Azad (born Saba Singh Grewal, 1 November 1985) is an Indian. She is a member of the Mumbai-based electro-funk duo Madboy/Mink. As one of the lead Raagas in the independent film Dil Kabaddi (2008), she made her Bollywood debut. It is well known that she played a leading role in the romantic comedy film Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge (2011). The role of Dingo was also played by her in the 2016 web series Ladies Room produced by Y-Films. Azad was born in Delhi to a Punjabi father PM Singh Grewal and a Kashmiri mother Shehla Hashmi Grewal. She is the niece of the great actor Safdar Hashmi. Furthermore, she has an elder brother who lives in Europe. Her grandparents are named Sardar Inder Mohan Singh Grewal and Sardarni Satinder Kaur Grewal.
A member of Safdar Hashmi’s theatre group Jana Natya Manch from a very early age, Azad performed in stage productions with Habib Tanvir, MK Raina, GP Deshpande, and NK Sharma. Furthermore, she has trained in dance forms such as Odissi, classical ballet, jazz, Latin, and contemporary dance forms. In addition to performing in the United States, she toured England, Canada, and Nepal with her Odissi guru, Kiran Segal. Her first foray into cinema began after schooling when she played the lead role in director Ishaan Nair’s short film Guroor, which screened at festivals in New York and Florence. Since then, she has worked on a number of short films.
Saba Azad Bio/Wiki
The table below reveals concise information about Saba Azad. It allows you to read through the famous Indian actress and singer’s profile as quickly as possible.
[table id=5500 /]
Saba Azad Net Worth
The estimated net worth of Saba Azad is around INR 7-8 crores (approx.).
[table id=5516 /]
According to media reports, Saba Azad earns a living as an actress. Her music career is another source of income for her. Saba is currently residing in Mumbai. Her lifestyle is lavish, and she owns a flat in Mumbai.
She also earns a living through her own theatre company, The Skins. In addition, she receives income from her paid collaborations with commercials and brands.
As well as appearing in commercials for Cadbury, Pond’s, Maggi, Tata Sky, Google, Kit Kat, Vodafone, Sunsilk, Nescafe, and Airtel, she has also appeared in print campaigns for Clean & Clear, Westside, and Amway.
Saba Azad And Hrithik Roshan
The actor Hrithik Roshan shared a throwback picture from their London trip with his girlfriend-actor Saba Azad. In an Instagram post earlier this year, Hrithik shared a photo from their summer vacation to the United Kingdom.
In the photograph, a selfie taken by Hrithik, Saba is seen sitting on a bench looking away from the camera. Keeping her legs on the bench and holding them, she looked up with a serious expression on her face. Hrithik smiled as he looked at Saba. The photo was posted by Hrithik on the occasion of Karwa Chauth.
Saba wore a black and white dress with sneakers for their outing. Hrithik wore a red and white outfit. Hrithik captioned the picture, “Girl on a bench (red heart emoji). Summer 2022. London. The Van Gogh immersive experience.” Pashmina Roshan responded, “Cuties.”.
In her comment, Saba wrote, “Van Gogh on a lazy summer afternoon (smiley emoji) the best day with the best egg (black heart emoji).” Richa Chadha wrote, “Warming my heart a bit.” Fans also showered them with love. In a comment, a fan wrote, “Greek God.” Another commented, “Both of you look amazing.” Another added, “And you look sexy as always.”
Hrithik and Saba attended the wedding reception of actor-couple Ali Fazal and Richa Chadha recently. They were all smiles as they posed for the camera. As opposed to Hrithik’s black suit, Saba wore a green kurta set.
When Hrithik and Saba were spotted having dinner together in February of 2013, rumors started swirling surrounding their relationship. Saba later joined Hrithik’s family for a get-together. As a result of the two walking hand in hand at filmmaker Karan Johar’s 50th birthday party, the rumors came to an end.
As well as being an actor, Saba is also a singer. Her film credits include Detective Byomkesh Bakshi, Shaandaar, and Karwaan. Her next film appearance will be in Songs of Paradise.
Hrithik last appeared in Vikram Vedha, which was released on September 30. The film is a Hindi remake of the Tamil film with the same title, in which R Madhavan and Vijay Sethupathi starred. In addition to Saif Ali Khan, the remake also features Anushka Sharma. The actor will next appear in Siddharth Anand’s action thriller Fighter alongside Deepika Padukone.
Saba Azad Career – Movies And TV Shows
In 2008, she made her Bollywood debut in Anil Senior’s Dil Kabaddi opposite Rahul Bose and Y-Films’ Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge, she played the lead role of Preity Sen opposite newcomers Nishant Dahiya and Saqib Saleem.
In 2012, Azad and actor and musician Imaad Shah formed the widely popular electronic band Madboy/Mink. Azad is a popular musician and singer on the Indian indie music scene.
After establishing her own theatre company in 2010, Azad directed her first play Lovepuke at NCPA’s experimental theatre in September of that same year.
The play was directed by Makarand Deshpande and was staged at the Prithvi Theatre. Azad relocated to Mumbai from Delhi and appeared in a two-man play.
Facts About Saba Azad
- Is Saba Azad a smoker? The answer is yes
- Is Saba Azad an alcoholic? Yes, she does
- As an actress, musician, and theatre director, Saba Azad is a prime example of “one person wearing many hats.” Born and raised in Delhi, Saba began her career as a theatre artist shortly after graduating from high school.
- Saba Azad is the niece of Safdar Hashmi, a communist playwright, and director. As a member of Safdar Hashmi’s theatre group, Jana Natya Manch, Saba comes from a theatre family. She worked with Habib Tanvir, MK Raina, GP Deshpande, and NK Sharma in the theatre group; gaining first-hand experience in the arts.
- Before making her Bollywood debut, Sada worked on several short films. Her first short film was Guruor, directed by Ishaan Nair, which was featured at several international film festivals in New York and Florence.
- In 2010, Saba Azad established her own theatre company, “The Skins”, and directed her first play, Lovepuke. In 2012, she formed an electronic band with a fellow actor and musician, Imaad Shah, due to her interest in music and singing.
- As part of her preparation for the role of Preity Sen in “Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge?” (2011), Saba was required to get a haircut in which her knee-length hair would be shaved off. This left her in tears. However, she ultimately liked the haircut and was satisfied with the results.
- The electric duo Madboy/Mink has been performing together since 2012 and has performed in several cities throughout India. Imaad Shah announced in 2013 that the duo had been living together for a year and that their common interests led to their relationship.
- Yash Raj Films’ Talent division posted a “DHOOM anthem” on YouTube in 2013.
- As a vocal advocate for various social issues, Saba Azad participated in the Anti-CAA protests held in Shaheen Bagh in January 2020, where she performed alongside other artists. “We have heard that some people have a problem with Faiz Saab these days, so we will recite his nazm before reciting his poetry.”
In a recent interview with the media, actor-musician Saba Azad revealed why she chose her stage name, Saba Azad. She revealed that ‘Azad’ was her grandmother’s pen name and that her passport still bears her name as Saba Grewal.
“My passport indicates I am Saba Grewal. The father is of Sikh descent and the mother is of Muslim descent, but neither of them practices religion or imposes their opinions upon me. Azad is my nani’s pen name. I liked the sound of it as well as its meaning. The desire for freedom is a human instinct, so I adopted it as my stage name,” Saba Azad stated to the media.
Saba, who is originally from Delhi, described her formative years and said, “I’m from Delhi. I come from a family of academics and artists; I had a normal middle-class upbringing with a great deal of cultural exposure. I was very active as a child in theater, cinema, dancing, and music, all of which I enjoyed greatly.”
According to reports, Saba Azad and Hrithik Roshan began dating in January of this year. Saba frequently attends family functions with Hrithik. A holiday in Europe was also taken by them earlier this year.
Saba Azad (born as Saba Singh Grewal) was born in Delhi to a Punjabi father PM Singh Grewal and a Kashmiri mother Shehla Hashmi Grewal.
Recently, Saba shared the reasons for choosing the screen name and stage name Saba Azad with a leading news portal. As Saba revealed in an interview with the media, ‘Azad’ is her grandmother’s nickname, which she added to her name with her grandmother’s consent.
Saba Azad is an Indian actress, theatre director, and musician.
An Appreciation Note For Your Consideration
Thank you for reading this engaging article about the life journey of Saba Azad. Hopefully, Saba Azad’s biography has made you believe that patience and persistence can overcome anything.
At WoodGram, we strive for fairness and accuracy in our biographies. Feel free to contact us or leave a comment below if you found anything fishy in the article on Saba Azad.