Penelope Cruz, A truly charismatic Spanish actress of substance, Penelope Cruz navigated her plan to the big screen with her extraordinary talent, captivating appeal, and skillful approach. Ask a movie buff what is common between the movies, ‘Open Your Eyes’, ‘The Girl of Your Dreams’, ‘Vanilla Sky’ and ‘Blow’ and without a second to spare, out would come the reply, Penelope Cruz! Right from a young age, she reveled in re-enacting actors which built the foundation to take up acting as a career choice. However, en-route seeking her dreams, she encountered a lot of rejections originally but did not lose her vision of growing a top actress. Resultantly, all her hard work, willpower, and determination paid off when she was cast in the movie, ‘Jamon, Jamon’ in 1992.
Her artistic talent was seen as she received nominations for Best Newcomer and Best Actress in her debut year in Goya Award, Spain’s equivalent of Oscars. Thus, began a career that was destined for more numerous glories. After giving her presence felt at the Spanish movie circles, she went to Hollywood to make her mark at the world forum. She received critical acclaim and recognition for her work and became the first Spanish actress to be conferred upon with an Academy Award and a star at the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Penelope Cruz Wiki/Bio
|Birth Name||Penélope Cruz Sánchez|
|Nick Name||• Madonna of Madrid|
|Age||(as in 2020) 46 Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Taurus|
|Birth Place||Alcobendas, Madrid, Spain|
|Date of Birth||28 April 1974|
|Home Town||Alcobendas, Madrid, Spain|
|Mother's Name||Encarna Sánchez (Hairdresser and personal manager)|
|Father's Name||Eduardo Cruz (Retailer and auto mechanic)|
|Brother||Eduardo Cruz (Younger) (Singer)|
|Sister||Mónica Cruz (Younger) (Actress)|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||• Matt Damon (2000)|
• Tom Cruise (2001-2004)
• Johnny Depp (2002)
• Matthew McConaughey (2005-2006)
• Orlando Bloom (2006)
• Josh Hartnett (2007)
• Javier Bardem (2007-Present)
Marital Status, Husband and Children
|Marriage Date||July 2010|
|Children||Son- Leo Encinas Cruz|
Daughter- Luna Encinas Cruz
|School||Cristina Rota’s New York school|
|College/University||Madrid Royal Conservatory|
|Educational Qualification||Not Available|
|Brands Endorsed||Cruz has appeared in several television commercials. The list is as –|
• Freixenet Cava (1994, 2001)
• Ralph Lauren Glamourous (2001-2002)
• Lux Super Rich (Japan) (2002)
• Coca-Cola (2003)
• The ONE Campaign (2005)
• L’Oreal hairspray (2009)
• Nespresso (2012)
• New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012)
Penelope has also appeared in print ads of –
• Sean by Sean Combs clothing line
• L’Oreal Paris’ Natural Match Color-Calibrated Creme (2006-2007)
• L’Oréal Elvital (2006)
• L’Oreal Paris’ Endless 8-Hour Lip Color (2007)
• L’Oreal Paris’ Telescopic Mascara (2007-2008)
• L’Oreal Paris’ Bare Naturale makeup collection (2007-2008)
• L’Oreal Paris’ Dermo Expertise skincare products (2007)
• L’Oreal Elnett Satin” hairspray (2008)
• L’Oreal Paris’ Bare Naturale mascara (2008)
• L’Oreal Paris’ Vive Pro hydra gloss shampoo & conditioner (2008-2009)
• Tresor Perfume by Lancome (2010, 2012)
• L’Oreal Paris’ Vive Pro glossy style mousse & spray gel (2009)
|Career Manager||• USA – Cruz is signed to Untitled Entertainment in the U.S. and is managed by agent Jason Weinberg.|
• Europe – In Europe, she is managed by Katrina Bayonis of Kuranda Management International
• She is also signed to Brandt Joel of Creative Artists Agency.
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm|
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet inches- 5’6”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 62 kg|
in pounds- 137 lbs
|Breast Size||35 Inches|
|Hips Size||35 Inches|
|Waist Size||27 Inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Hispanic|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Dress Size||6 (US) or 38 (EU) or 10 (UK)|
|Shoe Size||6.5 (US) or 37 (EU) or 4 (UK)|
|Favorite Food||In-N-Out’s burgers and fries|
|Favorite Fashion Labels||Azzedine Alaïa, Dolce & Gabbana, Giorgio Armani, John Galliano, Karl Lagerfeld, L’Wren Scott|
|Favorite Beauty Products||Lancôme’s Trésor|
|Favorite Places||Anahi Restaurant in Paris, Mandarin Oriental in New York|
Cruz was born in the town of Alcobendas, Madrid, Spain, to Encarna Sánchez, a hairstylist and personal manager, and Eduardo Cruz, a retailer and car repairman. She has two siblings, Mónica, also an actress, and Eduardo, a singer. She also has a paternal half-sister, Salma. She was grown as a Roman Catholic.
Cruz turned up in Alcobendas and gave long hours at her grandmother’s home. She states she had a happy childhood. Cruz gets “playing with some friends and being informed that I was acting as I was playing with them. I would think of a role and assume to be someone else.”
Initially, Cruz centered on dance, studying classical ballet for nine years at Spain’s National Conservatory. She got three years of Spanish ballet training and four years of theatre at Cristina Rota’s school. She states that ballet inserted in her discipline that would be necessary for her future acting career. When she grew a cinephile at 10 or 11, her father purchased a Betamax machine, which was then a very expensive thing to own in her neighborhood.
As a teenager, Cruz became involved in acting after viewing the film Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (1990) by Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar. She did part calls for an agent but was denied multiple times because the agent felt that she was too young.
In 1989, at the age of 15, Cruz won an audition at a talent agency over more than 300 other girls. In 1999, Katrina Bayonas, Cruz’s agent, said, “She was absolutely magic. It was clear there was something very impressive about this kid, She was very green, but there was a presence. There was just something coming from within.”
Her father, Eduardo, expired at his home in Spain in 2015, aged 62, from a heart attack.
Cruz is wedded to Spanish actor Javier Bardem. Bardem was her co-star in her breakthrough performance as Silvia in Jamón, Jamón, as well as working alongside her in Vicky Cristina Barcelona. They were also both in the 2013 movie The Counselor. Cruz started dating Bardem in 2007 and they married in early July 2010 in a private ceremony at a friend’s home in the Bahamas.
They have a son called Leo Encinas Cruz who was born in January 2011 in Los Angeles and a daughter Luna Encinas Cruz born in July 2013 in Madrid, Spain. She became an advocate of breastfeeding in public following the birth of her children.
Cruz had a three-year relationship with Tom Cruise after they performed together in Vanilla Sky. The relationship ended in January 2004. In June 2003, Cruz paid a defamation lawsuit against Australian magazine New Idea over an article it wrote about her relationship with Cruise; the publication had to withdraw, pay her legal costs, and donate $A5,000 ($3,200) to her nominated charity.
Penelope Cruz Net Worth
Penelope Cruz has a net worth of $55 million.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2019 (Approx)||$55 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2018(Approx)||Under Review|
|Annual Salary||Under Review|
|Income Source||Actress, model|
Penelope Cruz Movies And Tv Shows
- Her entrance into the world of cinema wasn’t a bright one as she encountered rejection a number of times. However, not the one to give up, she persistently continued with her endeavor to bag herself a role.
- In 1989, she auditioned at a talent agency. With more than 300 girls eyeing for the performance, she came out winning, wowing the judges with her oozing fresh talent, an unmatched sense of presence, and extraordinary acting skills.
- Her first job in front of the camera was for the Spanish pop group, ‘Mecano’ music video, ‘La Fuerza del Destino’.
- Following this, she was frequently featured on television throughout the 1990s decade. She worked as the host for the teenage talk show, ‘La Quinta Marcha’. She also performed in an episode of an erotic French TV series called ‘Srie rose’
- She made her big-screen debut with the feature movie, ‘Jamon, Jamon’ in 1992. She played the role of the female protagonist, Silvia. The film met with a favorable response. She was as much admired for her talent as for her daring nud*ty in the film, which made her a major s*x symbol overnight.
- Her next deliverance was lined up for the same year titled, ‘Belle Epoque’. This Academy Award-winning movie had her playing the character of virg*nal Luz with complete perfection.
- With as little as two movies old, it was too early to tag her as a flourishing artist but given her power-packed performances and skilled approach; she appeared to be destined for the riches and the glory. Staying true to the prophecy, she gave one hit after the other, and no sooner than in 1996, established herself as a successful Spanish and Italian film actor.
- In 1997, she operated for internationally famous director Pedro Almodovar for his film, ‘Carne Tremula’. Her depiction of the role of Isabel Plaza Caballero earned her critical attention globally and set the stage for many more films from the Almodovar camp to come her way.
- Her other offerings for the year 1997 include: ‘Love Can Seriously Damage Your Health’, ‘Live Flesh’ and ‘Open Your Eyes’.
- The next year, she was cast in Stephen Frears’ western film, ‘The Hi-Lo Country’ which was a significant dud at the box office.
- In 1998, she was seen in movies like, ‘Don Juan’ and ‘The Girl of Your Dreams’. The latter film earned her immense critical and commercial recognition for her portrayal of the character of Macarena Granada with complete perfection.
- In 1999, she was observed in ‘All About My Mother’, a film directed by Peter Almodovar.
- Meanwhile, in between doing Spanish movies, she received ballet and the English language to equip herself with the language.
- At the age of 25, she chose to go to Hollywood. Being on top of her career she didn’t have much difficulty in getting the work. ‘Woman on Top’ was her first Hollywood offering, in which she was cast as Isabelle, a world-class chef suffering from motion sickness.
- The same year, she performed the romantic lead in Billy Bob Thornton’s ‘All the Pretty Horses’. Both movies were well received.
- The string of successful films made her resume quite remarkably expensive but the high point still remained elusive.
- The Year 2001 loaded up for the same with the release of Cameron Crowe’s ‘Vanilla Sky’, an understanding of the Spanish film ‘Open Your Eyes’. The film was a major box office blockbuster, helping her garner her first crossover success.
- Taking the success story of ‘Vanilla Sky’ further, she was paired opposite acting genius and stalwart, Johnny Depp in ‘Blow’. The film despite receiving mixed reviews from the public made a whopping $80 million at the box office worldwide.
- She could not take the legacy of back to back super successful films any further as her following releases, ‘Don’t Tempt Me’ and ‘Captain Corelli’s Mandolin’ earned a negative response. Nevertheless, the latter led to keep the box office ticking by making $62 million worldwide.
- The years 2002 to 2004 were tough years for her career, as none of her movies appeared to work. Starting from ‘Waking Up in Reno’ to ‘Gothika’, ‘Fanfan la Tulipe’, ‘Noel’ and ‘Head in the Clouds’ (2004), each of them proved to be a mess. The only saving grace was Sergio Castellitto’s melodrama ‘Don’t Move’.
- In 2006, she was cast alongside Salma Hayek in the western comedy movie, ‘Bandidas’.
- Following this, she was seen in ‘Volver’, a film from the Almodvar’s camp. For the same, she received numerous awards and recognitions.
- In 2007, she worked in Woody Allen’s ‘Vicky Cristina Barcelona’. She performed the character of Maria Elena, a mentally unstable woman, with pure perfection, thus garnering positive reviews from critics and audiences.
- She also got an Academy Award in the category of Best Supporting Actress.
- In 2010, she made a cameo appearance in the film, ‘S*x and the City 2’ which was a sequel of the 2008 film, ‘S*x and the City’.
- The following year, she was a part of the cast for the fourth offering from the Pirates of the Caribbean film series.
- Her latest deliverance includes Woody Allen’s 2012 film ‘To Rome with Love’ and ‘A Matador’s Mistress’ released on demand via cable, satellite, telco, and online. She is said to be working with Sergio Castellitto in his war tale, ‘Venuto al Mondo’.
|1993||For Love, Only for Love|
The Greek Labyrinth
|1994||Alegre ma non troppo|
Todo es mentira
El efecto mariposa
Más que amor, frenesí
|1997||Love Can Seriously Damage Your Health|
Open Your Eyes
Et hjørne af paradis
|1998||The Girl of Your Dreams|
Talk of Angels
The Hi-Lo Country
|1999||All About My Mother|
The Man with Rain in His Shoes
|2000||All the Pretty Horses|
Woman on Top
Don't Tempt Me
Captain Corelli's Mandolin
|2002||Waking Up in Reno|
|2003||Fanfan la Tulipe|
Masked and Anonymous
|2004||Head in the Clouds|
The Good Night
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
|2010||S*x and the City 2|
|2011||Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides|
|2012||To Rome with Love|
|2013||I'm So Excited!|
The Queen of Spain
Murder on the Orient Express
|2019||Pain and Glory|
TV Shows & Serials List
|2018||The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story|
Facts About Penelope Cruz
- In 2010, she was elected as Lancome’s third spokesmodel after Julia Roberts and Kate Winslet.
- She is great friends with American actress Gwyneth Paltrow and Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar.
- She earns $2 million a year for his work with French cosmetics company L’Oreal.
- In her childhood, she concentrated on her dancing only. She never imagined becoming an actress until she watched the film Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!
- She has trained classical ballet for consecutive nine years at Spain’s National Conservatory.
- Cruz now co-owns a clothing store with her younger sister Monica in her hometown in Madrid, Spain in which she trades clothes of her own clothing line.
- She loves chewing gum in cinnamon or strawberry.
- In 2013, Cruz was given the name of Hottest Celebrity Body of the year by Fitness Magazine.
- In 2014, she was nominated as the Esquire’s S*xiest Woman Alive.
- She is the ancestor of the Sabera Foundation, a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO).
- She has done charity activity and donated money in Nepal, Uganda, and India.
- Penelope also performed in PETA’s anti-fur campaign in 2012.
- She also wants to keep homeless cats.
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”How did Penélope Cruz become famous?”]At age 15 Penélope Cruz won a modeling agency competition and began appearing in music videos and on Spanish television. She achieved early success in Spanish cinema and quickly established herself as an international star, performing in both Spanish- and English-language productions.[/wps_faq]
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”What is Penélope Cruz best known for?”]International actress Penélope Cruz is known for her performance in such films as Belle Epoque (1992; The Age of Beauty), All the Pretty Horses (2000), Vanilla Sky (2001), Volver (2006), Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008), for which she won an Academy Award for the best supporting actress, and Murder on the Orient Express (2017).[/wps_faq]
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Was Penelope Cruz married to Tom Cruise?”]Like so many Hollywood couples before them, Penelope Cruz and Tom Cruise met on set. According to sources, Cruise registered for divorce from Nicole Kidman in February 2001. By August 2001, the divorce was concluded.[/wps_faq]
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Does Penelope Cruz still act anymore?”]She never stopped – the past decade she’s done at least 2 films a year, but a lot of the time she either in Spanish or International films that are not always seen by large audiences in the US. Last year she was in Pain and Glory, one of the best films of the year (although Parasite will, and should win, Best Foreign Film and even possibly the best picture). The year before she was in The Assassination of Gianni Versace (for which she received Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for Best Supporting Actress). Earlier this fall she was in Wasp Network about Cuban spies in the Cold War, and next year she has at least one film out, 355, which is a Spy movie with an international cast including Jessica Chastain, Fan Bingbing, and Lupita Nyongo.[/wps_faq]