Marlee Beth Matlin is an actress, novelist, and deaf activist from the United States. She received the Academy Award as well as the Golden Globe Award for Best Best Actress for her role as Sarah Norman in the rom-com movie Children of a Lesser God in 1987, making her the one and only deaf actor to win an Academy Award and the youngest Best Actress recipient.
Matlin’s movie and television career have earned him a Golden Globe nomination, as well as two more nominations as well as four Emmy nominations. She is a famous member of the National Association of the Deaf and has been deaf since she was 18 months old owing to sickness and high fevers. Jack Jason has been her interpreter for a long time.
Marlee Matlin Bio/Wiki
|Birth Name||Marlee Beth Matlin|
|Nick Name||69 machine|
|Age||58 years (as in 2023)|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Virgo|
|Birth Place||Morton Grove, Illinois, United States|
|Date of Birth||24 August 1965|
|Home Town||Morton Grove, Illinois|
|Mother’s Name||Libby Matlin|
|Father’s Name||Donald Matlin|
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Husband/Spouse||Kevin Grandalski (1993 – present)|
|Marriage Date||29 August 1993|
|Children||Sara Rose Grandalski|
Brandon Joseph Grandalski
Tyler Daniel Grandalski
Isabelle Jane Grandalski
|School||John Hersey High School |
|Educational Qualification||College Dropout|
|Career Manager||Not Known|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeter – 163 cm|
in meters – 1.63 m
in Feet Inches – 5’4″
|Weight (Approx.)||in Kilograms – 55 kg |
in Pounds – 121 lbs
|Chest Size||30 Inches|
|Hips Size||34 Inches|
|Waist Size||28 Inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Russian|
|Eye Color||Light Gray|
|Dress Size||4 (US)|
|Shoe Size||7 (US)|
|Favourite Food||Asian Cuisine|
|Favourite Book||I’ll Scream Later|
|Favourite Movie||Children of a Lesser God|
Marlee Matlin was born on 24th August 1965 in Morton Grove, Illinois. She was born to Libby and Donald Matlin, an automobile dealer.
Marlee lost all her hearing when she was just 18 months old and could only hear a little from her left ear, due to fevers and illness. Marlee was raised in a Reform Jewish household with her two brothers Marc and Eric.
Bruce Willis Bio, Age, Wife, Children, Net Worth, Movies, TV Shows & Wiki
Her ancestral roots are from Russia and Poland. Marlee went to Congregation Bene Shalom, a synagogue for the Deaf. Afterward, she studied Hebrew linguistically and managed to learn her Torah portion in due course.
Matlin entered Harper College in Palatine, Illinois, after graduating from John Hersey High School at Arlington Heights. She had intended to pursue a career in law enforcement.
Matlin made her theatrical debut as Dorothy children’s theatre production of The Wizard of Oz at the International Center on Deafness and the Arts (ICODA) when she was just seven years old and continued to act in theatres.
Henry Winkler discovered Marlee at one of her ICODA theatre performances, which resulted in her first film role in Children of a Lesser God (1986).
Marlee Matlin Net Worth
Marlee Matlin has a net worth of $11 million.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||$15 million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$11 million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||$11 million|
|Annual Salary||Not Known|
- Marlee Matlin made her theatrical debut as Dorothy in an ICODA children’s theatre production of The Wizard of Oz when she was seven years old, and she continued to perform with the ICODA child’s theatre company during her youth.
- Matlin got chosen as a supporting character in a production of Children of a Lesser God, which went on to receive a Tony Award in 1980, by Henry Winkler in 1985.
- Matlin received critical acclaim with her depiction of a hearing-impaired cleaning lady at a charter school who demands on speaking solely in American Sign Language.
- Matlin won a Golden Globe which, made her the youngest actress to receive an Academy Award for Best Actress.
- Marlee Matlin then starred as the spouse of the main protagonist in the critically panned movie Walker in 1987.
- In the television film Bridge to Silence, Matlin portrayed the role of a deaf mom of a hearing child who must struggle with her own mother for guardianship of the kid in 1989.
- Matlin also co-starred alongside Mark Harmon within the Television show Reasonable Doubts between 1991 from 1993, for which she was shortlisted for a Golden Globe Award twice for her performance as an assistant attorney general.
- In 1994, Marlee Matlin portrayed the mentally challenged lead character in the Television film Against Her Will: The Carrie Buck Story.
- In 1996, she also featured in the melodramatic film It’s My Party.
- For a cameo appearance in the film Seinfeld in 1994, Matlin was shortlisted for an Emmy Award.
- Matlin had a recurring character as Mayor Laurie Bey within the Television show Picket Fences from 1993 to 1996, for which she got her second Emmy nomination in 1994.
- Marlee Matlin was shortlisted for an Emmy for a third and fourth time for a special appearance on The Practice in 2000, and a guest performance on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit in 2004.
- That same year, she portrayed a fake photojournalist in the documentary film What the #$*! Do We (K)now!?.
- In the 2000s and 2010s, Matlin played recurrent parts on The West Wing, Switched at Birth, The L Word, My Name Is Earl and Quantico.
Khloe Kardashian Bio, Age, Height, Net Worth, Movies, TV Shows & Wiki
Marlee Matlin Movies & TV Shows
|Children of a Lesser God||1986|
|The Linguini Incident|
L’Homme au masque d’or
|Hear No Evil||1993|
|It’s My Party|
|Two Shades of Blue|
In Her Defense
When Justice Fails
|What the Bleep Do We Know!?||2004|
|Baby Einstein: Baby Wordsworth||2005|
|Baby Einstein: Baby’s Favorite Places||2006|
|Baby Einstein: My First Signs||2007|
|Baby Einstein: Baby’s First Sounds||2008|
No Ordinary Hero: The SuperDeafy Movie
|Some Kind of Beautiful||2014|
Television Shows List
|Bridge to Silence||1989|
|Adventures in Wonderland|
Against Her Will: The Carrie Buck Story
The Outer Limits
The Larry Sanders Show
|The Puzzle Place||1998|
Where the Truth Lies
Chicken Soup for the Soul
|The West Wing||2000–06|
Kiss My Act
Eddie’s Million Dollar Cook-Off
|Extreme Makeover: Home Edition||2004|
|Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||2004–05|
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
|My Name Is Earl||2006–07|
|The L Word||2007–09|
|Dancing with the Stars|
Sweet Nothing in My Ear
|Seth & Alex’s Comedy Show||2009|
|Extreme Makeover: Home Edition||2010|
|The Celebrity Apprentice||2011–12|
|Comedy Central Roast of Donald Trump|
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
|Switched at Birth||2011–17|
|Celebrity Ghost Stories||2013|
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey
|Battle of the Network Stars|
Hollywood Medium with Tyler Henry
- Marlee Matlin is the only deaf actress to win an Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role.
- Marlee Matlin holds the distinction for being the youngest actress to win an Academy Award, which she has held since 1987.
- Marlee Matlin has long been an advocate for the National Association of the Deaf.
- Since she was 18 months old, Marlee Matlin has been severely deaf.
- The Screen Performers Guild has granted Marlee Matlin a special prize for actors with impairments.
- Deaf Child Crossing, her debut novel, was published in 2002.
- On May 6, 2009, Marlee Matlin was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Marlee Matlin was born hearing but went deaf at the age of 18 months.
Marlee Matlin is totally deaf in the right ear and can hear 20% from her left ear.
She is the first deaf performer as well as the youngest lead actress to win Academy Awards.
21 years old.
Yes, Marlee Matlin can speak.