Mario Figueira Fernandes (born 19 September 1990) is a Brazilian footballer who plays as a right back. He is under contract with CSKA Moscow, but the contract has been suspended. He represented the Russian national team after being born in Brazil. After joining CSKA in 2012, he became a three-time RPL champion and won one Russian Cup and three Super Cups. In 258 RPL games, Fernandes scored eight goals. Mario made his debut in the Russian national team in 2017 after getting Russian Federation citizenship. He represented the country at the 2018 World Cup and EURO 2020.
Fernandes played 33 games for the national team and scored five goals. The defender announced his retirement from international football in September 2021. After it was confirmed that his contract would be suspended, CSKA Moscow’s Mario Fernandes denied he was seeking to leave the club due to the ongoing Ukraine-Russia crisis. As a result of burnout, the Brazil-born right-back, who played for the club since 2012 and represented Russia at both the 2018 World Cup and Euro 2020, has been sanctioned to return home.
Mario Fernandes Bio/Wiki
The table below reveals concise information about Mario Fernandes. It gives you the ability to read through the Russian footballer profile as fast as possible.
|Birth Name||Mário Figueira Fernandes|
|Nick Name/Popular Name||Mário Fernandes|
|Age||33 (as in 2023) Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Virgo|
|Born Place||São Caetano do Sul, State of São Paulo, Brazil|
|Date of Birth||19 September 1990|
|Residence||São Caetano do Sul, State of São Paulo, Brazil|
|Home Town||São Caetano do Sul, State of São Paulo, Brazil|
|Hobbies||Watching Movies, Horse Riding, Swimming|
|Mother's Name||Marisa Fernandes|
|Father's Name||Mário Pércio Fernandes Filho|
|Brother(s)||Jonathan Fernandes Figueira|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Mariana Schott de Freitas|
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Wife/Spouse||Mariana Schott de Freitas|
|Educational Qualification||Not Available|
|Career Manager/ Player Agent||Agencia Brasil|
|Debut Club||• 2012: CSKA Moscow|
|Debut International||• 2011: Brazilian national football team|
• 2015: Russian national football team
|Jersey Number||• 2 (CSKA Moscow)|
• 2 (Russian national football team)
|Current Team(s)||Career Break|
|Position||Defender - Right-Back|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 187 cm|
in meters- 1.87 m
in feet inches- 6'2”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 77 kg|
in pounds- 170 lbs
|Chest Size||41 inches|
|Biceps Size||12 inches|
|Waist Size||32 inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Brazilian|
|Distinctive Features||Not Available|
|Dress Size||8 U.S.|
|Shoe Size||10 U.S.|
|Favorite Playing Position||Defender|
|Favorite Car||Not Available|
|Favorite Food||Fruits and Veg|
|Favorite Player||Not Available|
|Favorite Pet Animal||Dog|
|Favorite Cell Phone/Brand||Iphone|
Mario Fernandes Net Worth
In 2023, what will Mario Fernandes’s salary be?
In Jul 2012 Mario Fernandes signed a contract with CSKA Moskva that was suspended in 2022 and netted him a whopping salary of $2 Million per year. We have crunched the numbers, this means he earns $5,480 per day and $228 per hour!
Salary & Net Worth Updated 2023
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||$12 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$10 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||Not Available|
|UPDATE||All salary data provided below are before his contract suspension.|
|Annual or Per Year Salary||$2 Million|
|Per Month Salary||$166,667|
|Per Week Salary||$38,462|
|Per Day Salary||$5,480|
|Per Hour Salary||$228|
|Per Minute Salary||$3.8|
|Current Contract||Career Break|
|Contract Signed/Extension||In 2012|
|Contract Suspension Date||May 19, 2022|
|Upcoming Transfer||With CSKA Moscow (expected on Jul 1, 2023)|
|Contract Signing Amount or Transfer Fee||$8.80 Million|
|Market Value||$8.80 Million|
|Highest Market Value||$33.00 Million (Jun 14, 2019)|
|Income Source||Professional Footballer|
|Cars Collection||Not Available|
His stock is on the rise thanks to his performances on the pitch. As of 2023, he has an estimated net worth of around $12 Million, and his market value is about $8.80 million.
Mario Fernandes FIFA 22 Stats – Potential And Rating
Mário Fernandes is currently 33 years old and suspended his contract with CSKA Moskva in 2022. Currently, he has an overall rating of 81 in FIFA 22 with a potential rating of 81. The skillmoves rating for Mário Fernandes is 3 stars.
Mario Fernandes FIFA 22 Stats
Overall Rating In FIFA 22
Potential In FIFA 22
|73||Heading Accuracy||53||FK Accuracy|
|81||Short Passing||73||Long Passing|
|80||Defensive Awareness||82||Sliding Tackle|
Whenever he shoots, he prefers to use his right foot. The work rate of this individual is high/medium. Based on the information we have, Mário Fernandes’s height is 187 cm and his weight is estimated to be 77 kg according to our database.
- Fernandes joined Grêmio in March 2009 and signed until 2014.
- He disappeared a few days later, and Brazilian police were called to search for him.
- He was found some days later in São Paulo state, after withdrawing cash in Londrina, Porto Alegre, and Florianópolis.
- On 28 June 2009, Fernandes made his debut for the club against Sport.
- Grêmio regarded Fernandes as its first-choice right back.
- A 15 million euro deal with CSKA Moscow was announced by the Grêmio president on 25 April 2012, with Fernandes expected to join on 4 May 2012, pending a medical.
- He missed the first four months of the 2013–14 season due to a knee injury.
- CSKA Moscow won the second leg against Sparta Prague 3–2 in the Champions League 3rd qualifying round in 2015.
- As Fernandes played 90 minutes, after 64 minutes (2:2), the referee showed Marek Matjovsk the red card after Fernandes made a simulated dive.
- The Russian media called it “an important piece of theatre”. Newspapers in the Czech Republic claimed Fernandes lacked fair play in the play.
- Fernandes signed a new contract with CSKA on 29 June 2017, extending his stay until 2022.
- Fernandes announced on 18 May 2022 that he was suspending his contract with CSKA following their 21 May 2022 game against Rostov.
- While he wants to spend some time with the family in Brazil, he is not terminating his contract and will return to CSKA if he feels ready.
In 2011, Fernandes was invited to join the Brazil team for the Superclásico de las Américas, which he declined, citing personal problems.
On 14 October 2014, Fernandes made his debut and only appearance for Brazil in a 4–0 friendly victory against Japan.
Mario Fernandes In Russian National Team
- In August 2016, he joined the Russian national football team for friendly games against Turkey and Ghana.
- He had only been playing for CSKA Moscow since April 2012, which meant he hadn’t lived in Russia continuously for at least five years.
- As a result, he was not eligible to play for Russia until April 2017.
- It was announced on 23 March 2017 that he would make his Russia debut against Ivory Coast on 24 March.
- He did not play in that game. A friendly match against South Korea marked his debut for Russia on 7 October 2017.
- He was included in Russia’s extended squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup on 11 May 2018.
- The final World Cup squad was announced on 3 June 2018.
- During the 2018 FIFA World Cup, he played a crucial role in Russia’s success.
- In the quarterfinals against Croatia, he scored an equalizing goal in extra time, which forced a penalty shootout.
- Despite his efforts, Russia lost the shootout, in which he failed to score.
- His name was included in the preliminary extended 30-man squad for UEFA Euro 2020 on 11 May 2021. In the final squad, he was included on 2 June 2021.
- In Russia’s opening game against Belgium on 12 June 2021, he played the full match as Russia lost 0–3.
- After landing awkwardly during an aerial ball contest, he became injured and had to be substituted in the 26th minute.
- On 21 June, he played the full game against Denmark as Russia lost 1–4 and was eliminated from the group.
- He announced his retirement from the national team on 13 September 2021.
Facts About Mario Fernandes
- So Paulo is where Mario was born. After signing his first professional contract with Grêmio, Fernandes found it difficult to adjust to a new home and became depressed, leading him to disappear to his uncle.
- He was found in a disheveled state nearly 700 miles from Porto Alegre, hungry and exhausted. In a later interview, he declined to explain why he didn’t contact the club during this time but pointed out the difficulties of settling at the beginning of a career, citing Jess Navas as an example.
- In spite of receiving psychotherapy for his depression, Mario continued to drink heavily, frequented clubs, and neglected his diet and fitness, saying “I would sometimes show up to training drunk”.
- Gremio’s dietitian took action after he admitted to eating pizza and McDonald’s “every day” during this time when he lived alone.
- Having missed the flight due to partying the night before, Fernandes was stripped of his spot in the national team for the next three years.
- Mario’s 2012 transfer fee, which was at the time the club’s record, was seen as a sign of trust by CSKA Moscow.
- Despite the fact that Real Madrid had made an offer after negotiations were concluded, Fernandes said he would have still come to Russia if they had.
- A life-changing experience led the player to visit the Brazilian Evangelical Church in the city, and he thanked those who helped him.
- Before he was called up to the Brazil squad in 2015, Fernandes had discussed the possibility of obtaining Russian citizenship with CSKA CEO Roman Babaev.
- In the autumn of the same year, he resumed discussions about becoming a Russian citizen, and his family supported him fully.
- In July 2016, he received Russian citizenship via a presidential decree from Vladimir Putin, which he said made him more determined to start for Russia at the World Cup.
- Jô, his younger brother, is also a footballer.
- Fernandes spoke very little Russian as of 2017 but promised to learn the language.
Where was Mario Fernandes born?
He was born in São Caetano do Sul, State of São Paulo, Brazil.
What team does Mario Fernandes play for?
Currently, he is facing a career break.
How tall is Mario Fernandes?
He is 187 cm or 6’2″ tall.
How does Mario Fernandes become Russian?
Watching on in the stands, smiling along with Fernandes, was Vladimir Putin, whose presidential decree helped Fernandes become a Russian citizen. Back in his native Brazil, though, the reaction hasn’t been as kind. Fernandes is still called a deserter and a traitor.
After reading his biography, you will agree with me that Mario Fernandes worked so hard to achieve success. Even poor kids from the slum can dream big and achieve their dreams thanks to him.
It is important to note that his father and mother were key catalysts in his success story. His career life would not be the same without their contributions. They deserve all the accolades for what they have done.
In addition, his sibling’s and friend’s efforts should not be overlooked. As a result of them, he never experienced loneliness or depression during his childhood. Mario Fernandes has grown into a cheerful youth as a result of them.
Here Is An Appreciation Note For Your Consideration
Thank you for reading this engaging article about the life journey of the Russian footballer. Hopefully, Mario Fernandes’s childhood story has made you believe that patience and persistence can overcome anything.
At WoodGram, we strive for fairness and accuracy in our biographies. Feel free to contact us or leave a comment below if you found anything fishy in the article on Mario Fernandes.