Lisa Marie Presley is an American songwriter and singer. She is also the only daughter of the renowned American cultural idol Elvis Presley. Born in Tennessee, to Elvis and Priscilla Presley, she resided amidst musical vibes. Although she is a member of a rich and famous family, she did not have a happy childhood. She attended her parents’ divorce and then looked at her father being inhaled by drugs. She herself went down into the trap of drugs as a teenager but thankfully regained at the age of 21.
She soon concluded to launch her own music career. In April 2003, she delivered her debut album, ‘To Whom It May Concern,’ which climaxed at the fifth spot on the ‘Billboard 200’ charts and was later certified “gold.” Soon, she delivered two more successful albums, ‘Now What’ and ‘Storm and Grace.’ Over the years, she has also cooperated with other musicians and has been engaged with many humanitarian accomplishments.
Lisa Marie Presley Wiki/Bio[table id=748 /]
Born Lisa Marie Presley on February 1, 1968, in Memphis, Tennessee, to famous singer Elvis Presley and his wife Priscilla Presley, Lisa Marie grew up living in her father’s Graceland estate in Memphis, Tennessee, until the age of four, when her parents separated. Lisa Marie moved with her mother to Los Angeles, California.
Even though her parents were separated, she continued to see both, splitting time between both Los Angeles and Memphis. At the age of nine, Lisa Marie’s father died of an apparent heart failure associated with prescription drug abuse. After the death of her father, Presley went to live with her mother and her mother’s live-in boyfriend, Michael Edwards. Presley and Edwards lived together several years before calling it quits.
As a junior in high school, Lisa Marie Presley dropped out of school and began abusing illegal drugs. At 17, Presley was sent to Scientology’s Celebrity Center rehab facility. While at this facility, Presley met rock ‘n’ roll musician Danny Keough. Lisa Marie and Keough married on October 3, 1988, at the age of 20.
The couple had two children, a daughter named Danielle Riley and a son named Benjamin. While she was building her family, Presley was also forming a music career. In 1992, she recorded her first demo. She rejected the record contract she was offered afterward, however.
Presley and Keough divorced in 1994, after six years of marriage. After their split, Presley would enter a string of failed relationships and spontaneous marriages. Only 20 days after her divorce to Keough was finalized, Lisa Marie married pop singer Michael Jackson. Jackson reportedly proposed over the phone after only four months of dating.
Their relationship was short-lived, however, and Presley filed for divorce from Jackson in January of 1996. In 2000, while engaged to musician John Oszajca, she met actor Nicolas Cage. She soon broke off the engagement to Oszajca to date Cage. The couple married soon after in Hawaii on August 10, 2002, but divorced only 108 days later.
On January 22, 2006, Lisa Marie married for the fourth time, this time to guitarist, producer, and director Michael Lockwood. The couple welcomed fraternal twins Harper and Finley Lockwood on October 7, 2008. The family currently splits their time between homes in the U.S. and U.K.
Lisa Marie Presley Net Worth
Lisa Marie Presley has a net worth of -$10 million.[table id=749 /]
Lisa was 9 years old when her father died. After years of over-spending and financial mismanagement, the estate was worth just $5 million at the time ($14 million today) of his death. Elvis left joint control of the estate to Lisa, her grandfather Vernon and her great-grandmother Minnie Mae. Vernon died in 1979, and Minnie Mae died a year later. At that point, 12-year-old Lisa became the sole heir of the Elvis estate and trust fund.
At the time, the estate was estimated to be worth $100 million, roughly $295 million in today’s dollars. According to the terms of the trust, Lisa officially inherited her father’s estate in 1993, on the day of her 25th birthday. In February 2005, Lisa sold 85% of Elvis’ image, licensing rights, and operational rights of Graceland to intellectual property company Core Media Group, for $100 million.
The deal paid her $53 million in cash and absolved $25 million worth of debt that had been incurred by the estate. She also received $20 million worth of equity in Core Media Group (which at the time was called CKX Inc.). To this day Lisa maintains 100% ownership of Graceland itself including the 13 acres of grounds and her father’s personal items.
In November 2017, Lisa filed a lawsuit against her former business manager for allegedly squandering $100 million of her fortune and leaving her broke. The lawsuit accused the business manager of “reckless and negligent mismanagement and self-serving ambition”.
Lisa claimed that in May 2016, her trust which used to be worth well over $100 million, was worth just $14,000 and had $500,000 in credit card debt. The business manager claimed it was Lisa Marie who spent herself into debt. He claimed that her extreme spending habits actually put her estate $20 million in debt in 2003, which he corrected.
In February of 2018, as part of her divorce from Michael Lockwood, Lisa filed legal paperwork that showed she is $16 million in debt. $10 million of the debt is related to unpaid taxes dating from 2012 to 2015. The rest of the debt is credit card bills and unpaid attorney’s fees. Lisa filed the paperwork after her ex demanded $450,000 to cover his legal fees.
Lisa Marie Presley Music Career
- On her father’s 20th death anniversary, she presented her voice to the world for the first time. She had mixed her vocals with her father’s on his song ‘Don’t Cry Daddy.’ The song resonated with the crowd and made people emotional. She immediately set out to work on her debut album.
- After five years of thorough work, she released her debut album, ‘To Whom It May Concern,’ in 2003. The album was one of the highlights of the year. It received positive reviews and peaked at the fifth spot on the ‘Billboard 200’ chart, which was not a small deal for a young artist like her.
- Two months after its release, the album was certified “gold” by the ‘Recording Industry Association of America’ (RIAA). Lisa had written almost all the songs on the album. She also took care of the arrangements herself. She embarked on a UK tour in order to promote her album there. It was a successful event. Critics praised the uncompromising and bold use of tunes in the album.
- Motivated by the success of her debut album, she immediately started working on her next album. In April 2005, she released her second album, ‘Now What.’ It reached the ninth spot on the ‘Billboard 200’ chart and was also a critical and commercial success. Two songs from the album, ‘Idiot’ and ‘Shine,’ became chart-topping numbers and were played on the radio for weeks in a row.
- She took seven years to release her next album, ‘Storm & Grace.’ This time, she wanted a more classical feel and hired Oscar- and Grammy-winning music producer T Bone Burnett for the job. The album was touted as her best album and sold more than nine thousand copies in the first week itself.
- The album had 11 tracks and almost all of them were immensely loved by her fans. The album debuted at number 21 on the ‘US Billboard Rock’ chart.
- Lisa has also collaborated with several musicians from time to time. In the early phase of her music career, she collaborated with singer Pat Benatar for a performance at the ‘VH1 Divas Duets.’ The same year, she contributed a recording of the single ‘Silent Night’ to the ‘NBC Holiday Collection.’ Musicians such as Kylie Minogue and ‘Coldplay’ were also a part of that initiative.
- In August 2007, on the 30th death anniversary of her father, she recorded a “duet” with him for his song ‘In the Ghetto.’ The video had the father-daughter duo appearing together in a digitally controlled frame.
- She also collaborated with singer Richard Hawley and performed with him on stage in London for the single ‘Weary,’ which was their first collaboration.
- She took birth absolutely after nine months of her parent’s marriage.
- She is the only holder of an estate in Graceland (which is of about $100 million worth), after her father, grandfather, and great grandmother’s death.
- Her daughter Riley Keough has pursued as a model.
- She is good friends with singer Pink, Michael Jackson’s sisters, Rebbie Jackson, and Janet Jackson.
- Her father died at the age of 42. She reveals that her father’s side had been less healthy as correlated to her mom’s side and so had died little earlier than many others.
- Lisa Marie was born at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis.
- She is the former sister-in-law of Marc Coppola and Christopher Coppola.
- She loves to color coloring books with crayons.
But Two Years Ago She Turned Her Back On The Glitz Of Showbiz Capital Los Angeles For A Quiet Life In Rural East Sussex. And Now The 44 Year Old Singer And Mum-of-four Have Exclusively Opened Up To The Sun About Her New Life On Her Sheep Farm In The Sleepy Village Of Rotherfield.
Father And Daughter Together Again. It’s Been Said That It Doesn’t Matter Who Your Parents Were – It Matters Who You Remember They Were. Elvis Presley Died 30 Years Ago Today When His Only Child, Lisa Marie Presley, Was 9 Years Old, Leaving Her With Memories Of A Loving, But Troubled Father.
While Not $100 Million, This Still Should Have Provided Lisa Marie With A Tidy Nest-egg. Sadly, Between 2005 And 2015, Nearly All Of This Money Was Gone, And Lisa Marie Was Left Deeply In Debt. In 2018, Lisa Marie Presley Sued Barry Siegel And His Financial Company, Provident Financial Management.
Presley Supported Jackson As He Became Dependent On Pain Medication, And Eventually Helped Convince Him To Enter Drug Rehabilitation. In A Telephone Call, He Proposed Marriage To Presley. She Agreed, And The Two Wed On May 26, 1994, At A Private Ceremony In The Dominican Republic.
In 1993, On Her 25Th Birthday, She Inherited The Estate, Which Had Grown To An Estimated $100 Million. In 2004, Lisa Sold 85% Of Her Father’s Estate.
They Had First Met In 1975 When A Seven-year-old Presley Attended Several Of His Concerts In Las Vegas. In January 1996, Citing Irreconcilable Differences, Lisa Marie Filed For Divorce, According To Legal Papers.