Lily Tomlin is an American actress, producer, writer, and comedian. She was born and raised up in Michigan in a middle-class family. She was engaged in art and theater from a very young age and began doing stand-up comedy in comedy clubs in Michigan and later in New York. She got her first character in NBC’s ‘Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In,’ which made her popular, she went on to perform multiple characters in the sketch comedy show. After gaining fame by appearing in the show, Tomlin gave her own comedy videos, depicting characters from ‘Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In.’
One of these videos gained a ‘Grammy.’ She began performing in comedy motion pictures, acting opposite Hollywood actors like Steve Martin, Meryl Streep, etc. She has been quite popular on Broadway as well, she is recognized as the only comedian ever to make a solo comedy act. She is the winner of many awards, including ‘Primetime Emmys,’ ‘Tony Award,’ ‘Woman in Film Crystal Award,’ and ‘Grammy Award.’ After 42 years of courtship, she wedded writer/producer Jane Wagner in 2013.
Lily Tomlin Wiki/Bio
Lily Tomlin is an American actress and producer. Her zodiac sign is Leo. She has an American citizenship. Her ethnicity is mixed. She believes in the Christian religion. Lily was born into a rich family.
[table id=1802 /]
Lily Tomlin Life Journey
Lily Tomlin was born Mary Jean Tomlin in Detroit, Michigan, to parents Guy and Lillie Mae Tomlin. The Tomlins had traveled to Michigan from Kentucky just previous to their daughter’s birth. Tomlin has one sibling, a younger brother called Richard.
As a child, Tomlin praised pioneering female comedians including Lucille Ball, Bea Lillie, Imogene Coca, and Jean Carroll. After high school, she didn’t directly follow a career in show business but rather enrolled at Wayne State University to study medicine. While at Wayne State, she attended theater arts classes, which motivated her to leave college and start working at local coffeehouses.
In 1965, she went to New York City and started working at clubs including the Improv, Cafe Au Go Go, the Upstairs at the Downstairs, and the Downstairs Room, where she started for legendary singer Mabel Mercer.
In August 2013, it was announced that Tomlin and Wagner might marry after 42 years together, an announcement that came soon after the federal law in support of same-sex marriage, regarding the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional and striking down Proposition 8.
On New Year’s Eve 2014, 74-year-old Tomlin and 78-year-old Wagner made it official when they were married in a private ceremony in Los Angeles, California.
Performing on The Ellen DeGeneres Show in January 2019, Tomlin announced that she had obtained an offer to “come out” on the cover of Time magazine in 1975, before finally declining. “I just concluded that I wasn’t going to play their game,” Tomlin described. “I required to be known for my performance.”
Lily Tomlin Height, Weight, And Body Measurements
Lily’s height is around 5 feet 6 inches and her weight is 60 kg. She has brown eyes and also brown hair. Her specific body measurements are 34-30-32 inches. She wears a bra of 32B (US) size. Her shoe size is 7 (US).
5 Feet 6 Inches
Lily Tomlin Net Worth
Lily Tomlin has a net worth of $20 million dollars. She earns $1 million monthly.
[table id=1803 /]
Lily Tomlin in ‘Grace and Frankie’
In 2015, Tomlin acted with Fonda in the series Grace and Frankie, in which they performed two women whose lives are rocked after their husbands come in love. Tomlin earned an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series for her appearance. She also won two Golden Globe nominations, one for her character on Grace and the other for the big-screen outing Grandma.
Lily Tomlin Movies And TV Shows
- In 1969, after Tomlin performed on ABC’s ‘The Music Scene’ as a hostess, she fitted part of NBC’s famous comedy show ‘Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In.’ She arrived in the show regularly, performing various characters.
- In 1971, Tomlin came up with her first comedy video named ‘This Is A Recording’ on ‘Polydor Records.’ It was based on ‘Ernestine,’ one of her appearances from ‘Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In.’ It became the highest-charting album by a female comedian.
- In 1972, she delivered her second comedy album ‘And That’s The Truth,’ which was based on ‘Edith Ann,’ her role in ‘Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In.’ She received a ‘Grammy nomination for ‘Best Comedy Recording’ for the album.
- From 1975 to 1984, Tomlin settled many comic characters in movies like ‘Nashville,’ which was directed by Robert Altman, ‘Nine to Five,’ a working women’s vindictive comedy, and ‘All of Me,’ where she acted opposite Steve Martin.
- In 1985, Tomlin did a one-woman Broadway show named ‘The Search For Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe,’ which was written and directed by Jane Wagner. Tomlin won a ‘Tony Award’ for the show, which was later changed into a motion picture.
- In 1989, she did add a motion picture named ‘Big Business,’ a comedy movie, in which she acted alongside Bette Midler. Tomlin and Midler performed as twin sisters in the film.
- From 1994 to 1997, she was part of an animated television sequence named ‘The Magic School Bus.’ She voiced ‘Ms. Frizzle’ in the series.
- Around the same time, she performed in a sitcom TV series titled ‘Murphy Brown.’
- In 2005-06, she performed in the popular sitcom ‘Will & Grace’ in which she performed the character of ‘Margot.’ Around the same time, she often arrived in ‘The West Wing.’
- From 2008 to 2009, Tomlin did a recurring character in the famous television series ‘Desperate Housewives’ where she played ‘Roberta Simmons.’
- She also performed in an episode called ‘The Last of the Red Hat Mamas’ in ‘The Simpsons.’
- In 2012, Tomlin made a guest appearance in the HBO series ‘Eastbound and Down.’
- She also appeared in a TV series titled ‘Malibu Country,’ starring alongside Reba McEntire.
- Tomlin acted in the comedy-drama film ‘Grandma’ in 2015.
- In 2017, she reprised her voice performance as ‘Professor Frizzle’ in ‘The Magic School Bus Rides Again,’ a sequel to ‘The Magic School Bus.’
[table id=1804 /]
Lily Tomlin Facts
- World War II began the same day she was born.
- In 1965, she relocated to New York to pursue her acting career.
- She studied mime with Paul Curtis.
- In John Willis’ Screen World, Vol. 29, she was noted as one of the twelve “Promising New Actors of 1977”.
- Once, before the commencement of her show in New York, she costumed as a nurse of the Red Cross and handed out cups of coffee to those remaining in line to enter the theatre.
- In 2002, she grew The Women’s Image Network (WIN) Awards Lifetime Achievement Honoree.
- On May 25, 1999, as one of the guest speakers for the Exceptional Experiences lecture series, she talked at the Centennial Concert Hall, Winnipeg, in Manitoba, Canada.
- In 2014, she won the Kennedy Center Honors along with Al Green, Tom Hanks, Patricia McBride, and Sting.
- She and actress Jane Fonda are best friends.
- Her dying pampering includes her mother’s lemon icebox pie with heavy whipped cream.
- If she could ask 5 people, dead or alive, to her dinner party, she would invite comedians Gracie Allen, Lucy, Joan Blondell, Jean Harlow, and Hedy Lamarr.
- Lily has supported many foundations including The Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders, Rosie’s Place in Boston, Project Home in Philadelphia, and Fenway Health Center.
- She has also established the Los Angeles LGBT Center’s Lily Tomlin /Jane Wagner Cultural Arts Center and the Goosebump Garden.
On The Netflix Hit Grace And Frankie, Jane Fonda And Lily Tomlin Play Rivals-turned-unlikely-friends Thrust Together When Their Husbands Announce That They’ve Been Having An Affair And Plan To Get Married. But In Real Life, The Two Women Have Been Close For Decades.
They Were Married In 2013. The Storyline Is About A Relationship Between An Older Woman (Lily Tomlin) And A Younger Man (John Travolta). Moreover, Lily Also Bears A Striking Resemblance To John’s Real-life Actress Sister, Ellen, And They Are Both Around The Same Age To Boot.
As A Child, She Was A Fan Of comedies like Lucille Ball. Though She Initially Planned To Become A Doctor, She Ended Up Enrolling In Some Theater Arts Classes While A Student At Wayne State University.
Jane Fonda And Lily Tomlin May Play Best Friends On Netflix’s Grace And Frankie, But Did You Know The Two Go Way Back In Real Life? The Iconic Duo Initially Hit It Off In The ’80S And Have Been Making Us Laugh Ever Since. And Their Decades-long Friendship Seems To Be Stronger Than Ever.