Leon Goretzka is a German professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Bundesliga club Bayern Munich and the German national team. Usually, he plays as a central midfielder for his team, but he can also be found in the right midfield as well. Currently, Goretzka plays for Germany and Schalke 04 in the Bundesliga. In junior-level football, he has played for other clubs including VfL Bochum. The Fritz Walter Medal was awarded to him in the U-17 category in 2012.
Leon played aggressively right from the beginning of his junior career. He played his first match for Germany U-16 against Northern Ireland in 2010. During that match, he scored a goal, helping Germany to a 3-2 victory. As a progressive player, he later represented the Germany U-17 team and scored five goals in 17 matches during that season. He also earned spots in the U-19 and U-21 teams for his three friendly goals and two goals at the 2012 Europameisterschaft Tournament.
Leon Goretzka Bio/Wiki
|Birth Name||Leon Christoph Goretzka|
|Age||28 (as in 2023) Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Aquarius|
|Birth Place||Bochum, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany|
|Date of Birth||06 February 1995|
|Residence||Munich, Bavaria, Germany|
|Home Town||Bochum, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany|
|Hobbies||Watching Movies, Horse Riding|
|Mother's Name||Name Not Available|
|Father's Name||Konrad Goretzka|
|Sister(s)||Leon has three sisters.|
Names Not Available
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|School||Alice-Salomon Berufskolleg (Alice-Salomon-Vocational School) in his hometown of Bochum.|
|College/University||Alice-Salomon Berufskolleg (Alice-Salomon-Vocational School) in his hometown of Bochum.|
|Brands Endorsed||• Nike|
• German Red Cross (Deutsches Rotes Kreuz)
|Career Manager||He is represented by Jörg Neubauer.|
|Debut Club||• July 2018: FC Bayern Munich|
|Debut International||• 2014: Germany national football team|
|Jersey Number||• 8 (FC Bayern Munich)|
• 18 (Germany national football team)
|Current Team(s)||• FC Bayern Munich |
• Germany national football team
|Position||Midfield - Central Midfield|
• Technical Ability
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 187 cm|
in meters- 1.87 m
in feet inches- 6’2”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 82 kg|
in pounds- 181 lbs
|Chest Size||44 inches|
|Biceps Size||15 inches|
|Waist Size||33 inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Leon was born in Germany to a German Parents.|
|Hair Color||Light Brown|
|Eye Color||Light Brown|
|Distinctive Features||• Toned physique|
• Lanky frame
• Side-cropped, tousled hair
• Sports a trimmed beard
• Has a mole on his neck
|Dress Size||Not Available|
|Shoe Size||10 UK|
|Favorite Playing Position||Midfield - Central Midfield|
|Favorite Car||1990 Porsche 964|
|Favorite Friend||Kai Havertz|
|Favorite Food||Italian Food|
|Favorite Drinks||Tea & Coffee|
|Role Models||Sahr Senesie and Thiago Silva|
|Favorite Website||Twitter & Instagram|
|Favorite Animal||Leopard, Dog|
|Favorite Musician/Music||Luis Fonsi|
|Favorite Cell Phone/Brand||iPhone/Apple|
|Favorite Movie||Thor Series|
|Favorite Flowers||Red Rose|
Boretzka is a native of Bochum, North Rhine-Westphalia. After his completion of his Abitur, he graduated from the Alice-Salomon-Berufskolleg [de] (Alice-Salomon-Vocational School) in Bochum. Konrad, his father, is an automotive engineer and electrical engineer for Opel.
Leon Goretzka is a member of a middle-class family. His father Konrad Goretzka was one of the modern-day beneficiaries of the German industrial revolution. Konrad Goretzka worked for Opel as an automotive engineer and electrical engineer.
During Leon’s childhood, he learned a lot from his dad. His father is still credited with his leadership skills. Leon’s mum played a major role in raising her son in a Catholic manner despite having a strong father influence. Despite having friends, Leon’s mum remains his best companion to date.
When I was a child, there were no toys or games. Everything was a soccer ball. His career has been an amazing journey. Leon had a steely determination to become a professional footballer from an early age. His motivation could be attributed to the fact that he lived just five minutes away from the legendary Ruhrstadion, the home of his boyhood club VfL Bochum.
His frequent trips to the football stadium with his season tickets made him appreciate sports, which led to his decision to become a coach. Leonard joined Werner SV 06 Bochum in 1999, when he was 4 years old, as a result of his proximity to the club. It was at this point that his aspirations of becoming pro became more than a passing fantasy.
During COVID-19, Goretzka launched the online initiative “We Kick Corona” with Bayern Munich teammate Joshua Kimmich to support charitable, social, or medical institutions.
Goretzka has been active against hate crime, visiting the Dachau Holocaust memorial and meeting Holocaust survivor Margot Friedlander. As a critic of the far-right party Alternative for Germany, he calls them a “disgrace for Germany” and says they do so by being supported and led by Holocaust revisionists and Corona deniers.
Leon Goretzka Net Worth
How much does he earn?
The midfielder signed a contract with Bayern Munich in July 2018 that continues till 2026 netting him an impressive salary of 8 Million Euros (6.9 Million Pounds) per year. Based on our calculations, he earns €39,659 (£34,063) per day and €1,652 (£1,419) per hour.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||42 Million Euro (36.6 Million Pound)|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||35 Million Euro (30 Million Pound)|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||28 Million Euro|
|Annual Salary||8 Million Euro (6.9 Million Pound)|
|Per Month Salary||€666,667 (£579,710)|
|Per Week Salary||€153,846 (£133,779)|
|Per Day Salary||€21,918 (£19,059)|
|Per Hour Salary||€913 (£794)|
|Per Minute Salary||€15 (£13)|
|Market Value||$77.00 Million|
|Highest Market Value||$77.00m (Feb 10, 2021)|
|Income Source||Professional Footballer|
|Cars Collection||1990 Porsche 964|
In the summer of 2018, he moved from Bundesliga giants FC Bayern Munich to Bundesliga giants FC Schalke 04 after bursting onto the scene with FC Schalke 04 in the summer of 2018. Currently, the 28-year-old midfielder has a net worth of approximately €42 million (£36.6 million). His market value is roughly €50 million (£43 million).
- Goretzka began his career with Werner SV 06 Bochum in 1999. After two years with the WSV, he moved to VfL Bochum in 2001.
- Goretzka was awarded the 2012 under-17 Fritz Walter Medal in gold on 30 July 2012. On 4 August 2012, he made his professional debut for Bochum in the 2. Bundesliga against Dynamo Dresden in the rewirpowerSTADION.
- Goretzka had an impressive 2012–13 season at Bochum and was their standout performer as Bochum narrowly avoided relegation from the 2. Bundesliga.
- Goretzka was linked to several big clubs during the season, including Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Arsenal, and Real Madrid. Thomas Sammer, Bayern Munich’s then sporting director, reportedly met with Goretzka in the summer of 2013 to try to convince him to join the club.
- Schalke 04 confirmed the transfer of Goretzka from Bochum on 30 June 2013. A five-year contract was signed between 30 June 2013 and 30 June 2018. A transfer fee of €3.250 million was reported.
- Goretzka had a promising first season as a professional, scoring five goals in 32 appearances across all competitions.
- During the second half of the season, he became a regular starter for Schalke and helped them finish third in the Bundesliga behind champions Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.
- Goretzka was called up to the 30-man preliminary squad of the German national team for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil at the end of the season. His debut came in a friendly match against Poland prior to the World Cup.
- In the 2014–15 season, Goretzka played in only 11 games in all competitions due to a thigh injury. On Matchday 24, he returned from injury to face TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- During the season, Goretzka played in only 10 Bundesliga games. Despite finishing sixth in the Bundesliga, Schalke had a disappointing season.
- Goretzka scored two goals in 34 appearances in all competitions during the 2015–16 season. Despite being fully fit at the start of the season, he sustained several injuries throughout the season. During the season, Goretzka was also diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease.
- Goretzka played in a career-high 41 matches in all competitions during the 2016–17 season, scoring eight goals. It was Goretzka’s best season to date as he played a more attacking role.
- Goretzka received a concussion and a double fracture of his jaw while playing against Ajax in the Europa League on 20 April.
- As a result, he played almost the entire match until he was substituted in the 84th minute. Despite finishing in 10th place in the Bundesliga, Schalke failed to qualify for the Champions League.
- Goretzka played 29 matches in all competitions and scored four goals during the 2017-18 season. For the first time since his arrival at Schalke in 2013, he did not play in Europe.
- An injury to the bone in his lower leg caused a stress reaction, and that injury kept him sidelined for over two months. In the 2014–15 season, Goretzka helped Schalke finish second behind champions Bayern Munich and qualify for the UEFA Champions League for the first time since 2014.
- He played in his 100th Bundesliga game against Schalke’s bitter rivals, Borussia Dortmund, on 25 November 2017.
- Bayern Munich announced on 19 January 2018 that Goretzka would be leaving Schalke in the summer of 2018. His decision did not sit well with Schalke fans and board members.
- Clemens Tönnies, the chairman of the Schalke supervisory board, expressed his first reaction to Goretzka’s decision on a football talk show.
- Goretzka officially joined Bayern on 1 July 2018, signing a four-year deal until June 2022. On 12 August 2018, he replaced Thomas Müller for the DFL Super Cup against Hamburg.
- Goretzka made his first appearance for Bayern. He scored his first goal for the club in a 3–0 away win over VfB Stuttgart on 1 September.
- He scored his first-ever Bundesliga brace on 19 January 2019, scoring twice in a 3–1 win over Hoffenheim. During a Bundesliga match on 15 February 2019, Goretzka scored his own goal after 13 seconds; no Bayern player had touched the ball.
- Goretzka won his first Bundesliga title on 18 May 2019, as Bayern finished two points ahead of Dortmund with 78 points. In the 2019 DFB-Pokal Final, Bayern defeated RB Leipzig 3–0 for his first DFB-Pokal victory. He did not play in the match due to injury.
- In a 6–0 victory over Red Star Belgrade on 26 November 2019, Goretzka scored his first Champions League goal. Under Hansi Flick, he played a crucial role in Bayern’s treble victory.
- As part of the midfield duo with Joshua Kimmich, he played most of the games, including the Champions League campaign. After Benjamin Pavard was injured and Kimmich was asked to play as a right-back, Goretzka played as a box-to-box midfielder alongside Thiago in the Champions League final.
- During the 2020 UEFA Super Cup, Goretzka scored a goal in a 2–1 win over Sevilla after extra time.
- He missed the second leg against Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League quarterfinals in April 2021 due to muscle problems. However, he won his third consecutive Bundesliga title at the end of the season.
- In advance of the season, Goretzka was assigned the number 8 shirt left vacant by Javi Martinez. Goretzka won the 2021 DFL-Super Cup with Bayern on 17 August 2021, playing the entire 90 minutes.
- Bayern Munich announced on 16 September that Goretzka had signed a new contract, keeping him at the club until 2026.
- In a friendly against Northern Ireland on 15 October 2010, Goretzka made his Germany national U-16 football team debut, scoring once in the 3–2 victory.
- In a 4–0 victory over Turkey, he made his debut for the German national U-17 football team on 24 August 2011.
- He captained the Germany national U-17 football team at the 2012 UEFA European Under-17 Championship in Slovenia in May 2012 and led the team all the way to the final against the Netherlands.
- Goretzka scored the lead goal in the match, taking the score to 1–0; his goal was countered in stoppage time, taking the score to 1–1; the Netherlands won the penalty shoot-out.
- In a 0–0 draw against France on 8 August 2013, he made his U-21 debut for the German national football team under Horst Hrubesch.
- The Polish national team contacted Goretzka, but he rejected the offer since he does not have any Polish heritage.
- Germany’s manager, Joachim Löw, included Goretzka in the 30-man preliminary squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup on 8 May 2014.
- His debut came in a 0–0 draw against Poland on 13 May 2014. Germany’s match against Poland, in which Goretzka suffered a muscle injury, led to his removal from the team’s training camp and final squad for the 2014 World Cup.
- Goretzka was named to the Germany squad for the Confederations Cup in Russia in May. In Germany’s opening match for the tournament, he scored his first international goal in a 3–2 win over Australia. Goretzka scored twice against Mexico in the Semi-finals.
- Goretzka was the joint top scorer in the competition with Timo Werner and Lars Stindl with three goals. In the final in Saint Petersburg, Germany defeated Chile to win the competition.
- Goretzka was included in Germany’s final 23-man squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup on 4 June 2018. In the last match of the group stage on 27 June, he made his World Cup debut in a 2–0 defeat to South Korea, as his side was knocked out for the first time since 1938.
- His selection to the squad for the UEFA Euro 2020 was made on 19 May 2021. Against Hungary, he scored in the 2–2 draw that ended the group stage.
- Goretzka and Schalke teammate Max Meyer were named to the 2016 Olympic squad. In Germany’s first match against Mexico, he captained the team, but later picked up a shoulder injury and returned to Gelsenkirchen.
Facts About Leon Goretzka
- In the 2014 FIFA World Cup, Leon Goretzka made his senior debut for Germany against Poland. Leon suffered a muscle injury in that match, so the match ended in a goalless draw. He was unable to play in the rest of the tournament.
- Leon had to prove his skills through club matches after making his debut. Leon was Germany’s captain during the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. Unfortunately, he was injured again during the first match of the Olympics.
- Again, he was selected for the 2017 Confederations Cup and was able to make an impact. His first international goal came against Australia in the group stage on June 19, 2017. It was a 3-2 victory for the Germans.
- The two goals he scored in the semi-finals were his second and third of the tournament. The goals occurred within 10 minutes of the game start, which demonstrates his aggressive nature on the field.
- Later, the Germans won the tournament. During the tournament, he received a Silver Boot and a Bronze Ball.
- Leon also played in the 2017 FIFA World Cup Qualifying and scored three goals. As the Germans finished at the top of the tournament, he scored two goals against Norway and one against Azerbaijan.
- Leon had to wait three years for his first goal on the international stage. He had been injured in his previous two appearances and had to undergo hard training to make his way back.
- As he had recovered from a muscle injury that same year, he had no goals that season.
- Since the 2012-13 season, Leon has been an active start for Schalke 04 in the Bundesliga. He has been a good player throughout his career, except for the 2014-15 season.
- The total number of goals he has scored in his 119 appearances is 19.
- It will be his last season with Schalke FC as he will join Bayern Munich FC in July 2018.
How old is Goretzka?
28 years (February 6, 1995)
How tall is Goretzka?
How much did Bayern pay for goretzka?
With minor details having been ironed out following talks in the last few weeks, Goretzka has signed a deal expected to be worth between €12 million and €15m (£13m/$18m) a year. Bayern has always been confident regarding talks with Goretzka.
Is goretzka a polish?
Leon Christoph Goretzka was born on the 6th day of February 1995 to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Konrad Goretzka in Bochum, Germany. His ancestors were once migrants who left Poland to the Ruhr industrial powerhouse of Germany in the 19th century. One center of this polish immigration was Bochum, Leon’s birth city.
What nationality is Leon goretzka?
What clubs have goretzka played for?
- FC Bayern Munich
- Germany national football team