Laura Dern is an award-winning American actress, recognized for her entice appearances in TV series and movies. She has featured her acting skills in movies like ‘Rambling Rose’, ‘Wild’, ‘Mask’, ‘Blue Velvet’, ‘Jurassic Park’, ‘October Sky’, ‘Citizen Ruth’ and ‘The Fault in Our Stars’. For her appearance in ‘Rambling Rose’, she was nominated for an Academy Award. She will next be looked as Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo in the highly foreseen film ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’.
She has also performed major roles in TV series like ‘Ellen’, ‘F Is for Family’, ‘The Last Man on Earth’, ‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’ and ‘Twin Peaks’. The actress has earned on three occasions at the Golden Globe Awards for her outstanding performances in ‘Afterburn’, ‘Recount’ and ‘Enlightened’. She has even nailed a few awards at the Primetime Emmy Awards for her portrayal in the HBO series, ‘Big Little Lies’. Like many stars, Laura too has been very outspoken against s*xual violations on female movie stars in the industry.
|Birth Name||Laura Elizabeth Dern|
|Age||(as in 2020) 53 Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Aquarius|
|Birth Place||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Date of Birth||10 February 1967|
|Home Town||Los Angeles|
|Mother's Name||Diane Ladd (Actress)|
|Father's Name||Bruce Dern (Actor)|
|Sister||Diane Elizabeth Dern (Died at 18 months)|
|Others||• George Dern (Great-Grandfather) (Former Utah governor and Secretary of War)|
• Archibald MacLeish (Great-Great Uncle) (Poet, writer, and Librarian of Congress)
|Affairs/Boyfriends||• Treat Williams (1984-1985)|
• Kyle Maclachlan (1985-1989)
• Renny Harlin (1991)
• Vincent Spano (1992)
• Jeff Goldblum (1995-1997)
• Billy Bob Thornton (1997-2000)
Marital Status, Husband and Children
|Husband/Spouse||Ben Harper (m. 2005–2013)|
|Marriage Date||December 23, 2005|
(divorce finalized in September 2013)
|Children||Son- Ellery Walker (born in 2001)|
Daughter- Jaya Harper (born in 2004)
|School||Buckley School, Sherman Oaks, California|
|College/University||Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute in Manhattan, New York City|
University of California, Los Angeles (dropped out just after two days of joining)
University of Southern California, Los Angeles (dropped out after completing a semester)
|Educational Qualification||Dropped university after 1st semester|
|Profession||Actress, film director, producer|
|Brands Endorsed||Print ads for The GAP clothing|
|Career Manager||Untitled Entertainment|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 176.5 cm|
in meters- 1.76 m
in feet inches- 5’9 ½”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 61 kg|
in pounds- 135 lbs
|Breast Size||34 Inches|
|Hips Size||33 Inches|
|Waist Size||25 Inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||White|
|Dress Size||6-8 (US)|
|Shoe Size||11 (US)|
|Favorite Book||Pema Chödrön’s Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change|
|Favorite Cinematographer||Emmanuel Lubezki|
|Favourite Film||The Elephant Man (1980)|
Laura Dern was born on February 10, 1967, in Los Angeles, the daughter of stars Bruce Dern and Diane Ladd. Dern was disclosed to movie sets and the movie industry from inception and obtained several little parts as a child. Her parents separated when Dern was two and Dern dropped contact with her father for several years as a result.
Her parents’ background and her own early taste of the moviemaking world soon indoctrinate the young Dern to pursue acting herself. Like so many young actors, her decision may have been affected by social ineptitude the child of 60s counterculture parents, she was drenched in Eastern mysticism and political radicalism and was seen as an oddball by her more traditional classmates.
Her gawky physical appearance did not bolster – even before her teens, she had achieved most of her thrilly 5′ 10″ height, was rail-skinny (other than precociously wide hips), had big feet, and a crouching posture, and for all this was often annoyed by classmates. Perhaps the nine-year-old Dern found stronghold by studying acting at the Lee Strasberg Theater Institute.
Laura met the musician Ben Harper at one of his concerts in 2000 and initiated dating. After their five years of dating, the couple got married on December 23, 2005, at their house in Los Angeles. They have two biological children together – Ellery Walker (son, born in 2001) and Jaya Harper (daughter, born in 2004). In 2010, Ben Harper filed for divorce. Yet the couple emerged together in Golden Globe Awards 2012. Their divorce was finalized in 2013.
Laura Dern Net Worth
Laura Dern has a net worth of $20 million dollars.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2019 (Approx)||$20 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2018(Approx)||Under Review|
|Annual Salary||Under Review|
|Income Source||Actress, film director, producer|
According to a media report, her appearance in around 50 movies has garnered $4,139,855,810 as worldwide aggregate at the box office.
Laura Dern Movies And TV Shows
- Her first acting character was in the 1973 movie, ‘White Lightning’. But success came to her only when she played one of the lead roles in the 1980 movie, ‘Foxes’. The movie premiered on February 29 and her work was praised.
- In 1981, Laura Dern emerged in the TV series ‘Shannon’ and later went on to star in the character of Jessica McNeil in ‘Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains’. Her performance in the movie won her the Miss Golden Globe award.
- Dern then emerged in a number of minor characters in TV movies like‘Happy Endings’ and ‘The Three Wishes of Billy Grier’. She also received critical acclaim for her role as Diane in the satirical comedy-drama film ‘Teachers’.
- She landed two major characters in 1985, which established her as a bankable star in the industry. She first emerged as Diana in the biographical drama, ‘Mask’, which also starred Cher and then played the lead character of Connie in the thriller, ‘Smooth Talk’.
- 1986 was the year that saw Dern team up with the legendary director David Lynch for the first time. She portrayed the character of Sandy Williams in the crime-thriller, ‘Blue Velvet’. She would go on to work with Lynch in four other movies throughout her career.
- In spite of being praised for her acting, Dern only enjoyed moderate success from 1988 to 1990. During this phase, she starred in movies like ‘Haunted Summer’ and ‘Fat Man and Little Boy’, and in the TV series, ‘Nightmare Classics’. She also played small characters in ‘Wild at Heart’ and ‘Industrial Symphony No. 1: The Dream of the Broken Hearted’.
- In 1991, she portrayed the lead character in the drama movie, ‘Rambling Rose’. Interestingly, her mother was also a part of the cast. The movie premiered on September 20, and both Laura and Diane were nominated for an Oscar at the Academy Awards in 1992.
- By 1993, Laura was already an established star in Hollywood and this led to her being cast in the lead character of Dr. Ellie Sattler, alongside Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum in the groundbreaking blockbuster, ‘Jurassic Park’.
- She was also cast by Clint Eastwood in ‘A Perfect World’, the same year.
- The actress was seen in the 1995 TV movie, ‘Down Came a Blackbird’ and then lent her voice fora character named June in the series ‘Frasier’.
- The next year, she portrayed the character of Ruth Stoops in Alexander Payne’s directorial venture,‘Citizen Ruth’.
- Laura Dern emerged in the character of Susan in the TV series,‘Ellen’. Her character was seen in two episodes. In ‘The Puppy Episode’, aired on April 30, 1997, she played a lesbian who goads Ellen to come out. The episode was famous because it was the actual coming out of Ellen DeGeneres as a lesbian and that caused a huge controversy.
- From 1999 to 2001, Dern acted in movies like, ‘A Season for Miracles’, ‘October Sky’, ‘Novocaine’, ‘Focus’, ‘I Am Sam’ and ‘Goose’. She had a minor character in ‘Jurassic Park 3’ as well.
- From 2002 to 2003, the actress started appearing more on TV. She played US Poet Laureate Tabatha Fortis in the TV series, ‘The West Wing’ and Linda Peeno in the critically acclaimed TV movie, ‘Damaged Care’. She also lent her voice for characters Katherine and Serving Wench in the animated series, ‘King of the Hill’.
- 2004 saw the actress playing the character of Terry Linden in the award-winning movie, ‘We Don’t Live Here Anymore’. She was nominated for the second-best performing actress at the Seattle Film Critics Awards.
- David Lynch cast her in the movie ‘Inland Empire’ in 2006, and she also had a small character in ‘Lonely Hearts’.
- The next year, Dern starred in the comedy movie, ‘Year of the Dog’.
- The 2008 TV movie ‘Recount’, starring Dern and the likes of Kevin Spacey, earned her a Golden Globe Award.
- In the next few years, she emerged in several movies like ‘Tenderness’and ‘Everything Must Go’.
- Dern was then cast in the lead character of Amy Jellicoe in the 2011 HBO drama series, ‘Enlightened’.She was praised by the critics’ for nicely portraying the character of a self-destructive woman, looking to live an enlightened life.
- In 2014, Dern was seen in a number of TV series and movies like ‘Kroll Show’, ‘Drunk History’, ‘When the Game Stands Tall’ and ‘99 Homes’. She also played the character of Shailene Woodley’s mother in the romantic hit ‘The Fault in Our Stars’.She then received an Academy Awards nomination for her acting in ‘Wild’.
- In the year 2017, she emerged in several award-winning TV shows. She won awards for her portrayal of Renata Klein in ‘Big Little Lies’. She is also voice acting in the animated series ‘F Is for Family’, and has been cast as Diane Evans in the series, ‘Twin Peaks: The Return’.
- She is also playing the character of Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo in the upcoming movie, ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’.
|1974||Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore|
|1982||Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains|
|1983||Grizzly II: The Predator|
|1986 ||Blue Velvet|
|1989||Fat Man and Little Boy|
|1990||Wild at Heart|
Industrial Symphony No. 1
A Perfect World
Bastard Out of Carolina
|2000||Dr. T & the Women|
|2001||Daddy and Them|
Jurassic Park III
I Am Sam
|2004||We Don't Live Here Anymore|
The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio
|2007||Year of the Dog|
|2008||The Monday Before Thanksgiving|
|2010||Everything Must Go|
|2011||Fight for Your Right Revisited|
|2013 ||Jay-Z: Made in America|
|2014||The Fault in Our Stars|
When the Game Stands Tall
The Black Ghiandola
The Good Time Girls
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Trial by Fire
|2021||Jurassic World: Dominion|
TV Shows & Serials List
|1984||The Three Wishes of Billy Grier|
Down Came a Blackbird
|1996||The Siege at Ruby Ridge|
|1998||The Larry Sanders Show|
The Baby Dance
|2001||Within These Walls|
The West Wing
|2002–2003||King of the Hill|
|2013||Call Me Crazy: A Five Film|
|2015||The Mindy Project|
|2015–present||F Is for Family|
|2017–2019||Big Little Lies|
|2017||The Last Man on Earth|
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
- Laura Dern is the youngest ever champion of Miss Golden Globe (1982).
- At the age of 13, she had to sue for liberation on being objected by her mother for being shows on the sets of the film Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Satin (1982). And subsequently, she earned liberation.
- She used to often become a focus of teasing by her classmates because of her height and huge feet.
- Laura had a subsequent backlash and did not work for more than a year after playing a lesbian on the ABC’s sitcom Ellen’s The Puppy Episode (1991), where she wheedles Ellen DeGeneres. She revealed this on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
- She and her actress mother Diane Ladd have become the first mother-daughter both to be nominated together for The Academy Awards for their movie Rambling Rose (1991).
- In the starting years of her career, Laura Dern was roommates with the spiritual guru, lecturer, and author Marianne Williamson.
- At the age of 7, while doing a passing presence (as a child eating ice-cream) in Martin Scorsese’s Alice
- Doesn’t Live Here Anymore (1974), Laura ate 26 ice cream cones for 26 takes.
- Some of her favorite directors, with whom she wishes to work again are Clint Eastwood and Steven Spielberg.
- She was born at 7:48 am PST.
- Laura Dern would like to pursue with her father in the near future.
- The older sister of Laura, who was born in 1961, died at the age of 18 months, years before Laura was born.
- She left the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) just after two days of joining and the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, after completing one semester.
- She left UCLA to do the movie Blue Velvet, which was released in 1986.
- In 2010, she received the 2420th star on Hollywood walk of fame, where her parents were also awarded the stars.
- Her looks resemble the former tennis player Steffi Graf.
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Why Did Laura Dern Win?”]Laura Dern Has Won The Best Supporting Actress Oscar At The 92Nd Academy Awards For Her Role As A Predatory Divorce Lawyer In Marriage Story. Dern Was The Favourite For The Award But Had To Overcome Competition From The Likes Of Kathy Bates In Richard Jewell, And Little Women’s Florence Pugh.[/wps_faq]
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Is Laura Dern’s Mother An Actress?”]Laura Dern Was Born To Diane Ladd And Bruce Dern. Both Diane And Bruce (Who Divorced Two Years After Laura Was Born) Are Actors.[/wps_faq]
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Why Did Laura Dern Win Best Supporting Actress?”]Laura Dern Has Won The Best Supporting Actress Oscar At The 92Nd Academy Awards For Her Role As A Predatory Divorce Lawyer In Marriage Story. Dern Was The Favourite For The Award But Had To Overcome Competition From The Likes Of Kathy Bates In Richard Jewell, And Little Women’s Florence Pugh.[/wps_faq]
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Why Is Laura Dern So Popular?”]It’s Easy To Think That Laura Dern Is “Having A Moment.” Her Widely Acclaimed Role As A Cutthroat Divorce Lawyer In Noah Baumbach’s Netflix Film Marriage Story Just Earned Her A Fifth Golden Globe And An Oscar Nomination.[/wps_faq]
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Why Did Ben Harper And Laura Dern Get Divorced?”]After Five Years Of Marriage, Ben Filed For Divorce From Laura In 2010, Citing Irreconcilable Differences, According To People. Ben And Laura Have Always Been Extremely Private About Their Relationship And Have Never Publicly Commented On The Reason For Their Split.[/wps_faq]
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”How Many Times Has Laura Dern Been Nominated For An Oscar?”]Laura Dern Is An American Actress. She Is The Recipient Of Four Golden Globe Awards And A Primetime Emmy Award And Has Been Nominated For Two Academy Awards.[/wps_faq]