Julia Roberts is a well-known and applauded actress of recent times and well-known for her roles in movies such as ‘Pretty Woman’, ‘Steel Magnolias’, and ‘Erin Brockovich’. She had dreams of taking up many professions as a child but not one of an actress. However, as she grew up, she realized her true calling and entered on her journey to become an actress. She even left her studies half-way in order to pursue her dreams of becoming an actress. Julia landed in New York, where she took acting training and together did modeling assignments to support herself financially.
Gradually, she got her first break on television, and then owing to her acting potential, she made it to the big screen. She did not get full-length roles originally, but even with her trifle roles, she performed well enough to be recognized. The film which became a milestone in her career was ‘Steel Magnolias’ which earned her the ‘Golden Globe Award’ for the first time. Her first major leading role was in the film ‘Pretty Woman’ which earned her enormous fame and made it evident that she is here to stay. She then further cemented her position in the industry with her role in ‘Erin Brockovich’ and even today, she has a huge fan following.
Wiki/Biodata[table id=27 /]
Julia Fiona Roberts was born on October 28, 1967, in Smyrna, Georgia, the youngest of three children and surrounded by creative individuals. Her parents were both actors who ran a workshop for aspiring writers and performers until their divorce in 1971.
When Julia was ten years old, her father died of cancer. The girl did not know that Walter was sick, although she spoke with him on the phone almost every day. After many years, the actress admitted that even after her father’s death, she continued to communicate with him in her dreams.
At thirteen, Roberts went to her first job at a pizzeria. Until the end of school, she worked part-time in a shoe store, then in snack bars and cafes. After leaving school, the young girl tried to enter the University of Georgia but failed.
Initially, Roberts wanted to become a veterinarian, but she abandoned this dream when she realized that she had “an inability to deal with science on a brainiac kind of level.” After graduating from high school in 1985, Roberts moved to New York City to live with her sister, Lisa, who, along with Roberts’s brother, Eric, was pursuing an acting career.
Julia Roberts Net Worth
Julia Roberts is a highly-acclaimed American actress who has a net worth of $280 million. Her film “Pretty Woman” (1990) established her as a leading star in Hollywood. Between film salaries and endorsements, she typically earns $20-$40 million per year.
“Pretty Woman” achieved the highest number of ticket sales in the United States at the time for a romantic comedy, making $463.4 million worldwide. She received a fee of $300,000 for the film. Roberts played real-life environmental activist Erin Brockovich in the film “Erin Brockovich” (2000), receiving $20 million for her work on the film. The film was a critical and commercial hit, making $256.3 million worldwide, and Roberts won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role.
For her 2003 film “Mona Lisa Smile,” she received a fee of $25 million, which was unheard of at the time. Her films have collectively brought in over $2.8 billion at the global box office, which means she is one of the most bankable actresses in Hollywood.[table id=28 /]
Together, Roberts and Moder have three children. Roberts famously insured her smile for $30 million in March 2012. Roberts owns several properties around the world. She bought a seaside Malibu property in 2003 for $6.4 million, tearing down the existing 6,000 square-foot house and built an eco-friendly solar-powered mansion.
She put the property on the market as a rental available for $10,000 per month in 2018. She owns another estate in Malibu, for which she paid $6.84 million for. Furthermore, she owns an apartment in Manhattan, New York, purchased for $4 million in 2010; a ranch in Taos, New Mexico worth $2.5 million in 2009—the location of her wedding to Daniel Moder; and a Los Angeles mansion worth $30 million.
- Julia had an encounter with singer Billy Idol in 1984. They reportedly met on a flight and she even told her high school friends that she lost her v*rginity to Billy.
- Julia started dating actor Dylan McDermott in 1988. They were engaged for a short period of time before breaking up in 1989.
- Pretty Woman co-stars Richard Gere and Julia were rumored to have hooked up in 1989 when they were filming for the movie.
- British actor Kiefer Sutherland was seen romancing Julia in November 1989. By August 1990, the couple was engaged. But, this relationship also saw an end in June 1991.
- After canceling her wedding with Kiefer, Julia started dating actor Jason Patric. The couple dated for a few months before breaking up in 1992.
- On June 1, 1993, Julia started dating 10 years her senior, Lyle Lovett, who is a country musician by profession. Just after a couple of weeks, the duo engaged on June 24, 1993. After three days, they married at St. James Lutheran Church in Marion, Indiana. In March 1995, the couple separated.
- Soon after that, in 1995 only, Julia dated British actor Daniel Day-Lewis.
- Julia was Rumored to be dating Ethan Hawke in 1995.
- Julia and Matthew first met on the set of popular TV series “Friends” in 1995. They started dating in that year and split in 1996. They were spotted together many times in LA.
- In 1996, she dated fitness guru Pat Manocchia.
- From 1998 until mid-2001, Julia was romantically linked, Benjamin Bratt.
- She was Rumored to have had a fling with George Clooney in 2000.
- In 2001, Julia commenced dating American cinematographer Daniel Moder. However, they met back in 2000 on the set of the film The Mexican. After Daniel divorced from Vera Steimberg, Daniel and Julia married on July 4, 2002, in Taos, New Mexico at Roberts’ ranch. The couple has three children – Hazel Patricia Moder, Phinnaeus “Finn” Walter Moder; both born on November 28, 2004, and Henry Daniel Moder.
Big Break and Success
- In New York, Roberts also entered the family business, landing a guest arrival on the television series Crime Story in 1987. She really caught the public’s eye, however, as the wild but susceptible Daisy in Mystic Pizza (1988). The following year, Roberts cemented her status as a rising star in Steel Magnolias (1989), showing alongside such acting legends as Shirley MacLaine and Sally Field, and earning an Academy Award nomination for best supporting actress.
- After that, Roberts’s career took off. She played a hooker who falls in love with a client (Richard Gere) in the box-office hit Pretty Woman (1990). For her convincing performance, Roberts received an Academy Award nomination for best actress.
- She followed up that role with a few career missteps: Dying Young (1991) received mixed reviews, as did Hook (1991), which revisited the story of Peter Pan. Both films also proved to be disappointments at the box office.
- Around this same time, Roberts called off her wedding to actor Kiefer Sutherland, her co-star in 1990’s Flatliners, just days before the ceremony was scheduled to take place.
- Her breakthrough movie was ‘Pretty Woman’ released in the year 1990. She played the lead in this movie and her acting was well acclaimed. Her next releases in the 90s include films such as ‘Flatliners’, ‘Sleeping with the Enemy’, ‘Hook’, ‘Dying Young’, ‘The Player’, ‘The Pelican Brief’, ‘I Love Trouble’, ‘Prêt-à-Porter’, ‘Something to Talk About’, ‘Michael Collins’, ‘Michael Collins’, ‘Mary Reilly’, ‘My Best Friend’s Wedding’, ‘Stepmom’, ‘Notting Hill Conspiracy Theory’ and ‘Runaway Bride’.
- During the same period, she also appeared on television in shows such as ‘Friends (Season 2)’ and ‘Sesame Street’.
- From 2001 to 2005, she worked in movies such as ‘Erin Brockovich’, ‘America’s Sweethearts’, ‘The Mexican’, ‘Ocean’s Eleven’, ‘Mona Lisa Smile’, ‘Closer’, ‘Grand Champion’, Full Frontal’, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind’ and ‘Ocean’s Twelve. She appeared in the music video of the song ‘Dreamgirl’ by ‘Dave Matthews Band’, in 2005.
- In 2006, she worked in two animated movies ‘The Ant Bully’ and Charlotte’s Web as a voice-over artist. The same year, she also made her first appearance on Broadway with the play ‘Three Days of Rain’. The following year, she acted in the movie ‘Charlie Wilson’s War’.
- She appeared in the films ‘Fireflies in the Garden’ and ‘Kit Kittredge: An American Girl’ which were released in 2008. The following year, she played the lead along with actor Clive Owen in the film ‘Duplicity’.
- In 2010, her film projects include the romantic comedy movies Valentine’s Day and ‘Eat Pray Love’. The following year, she starred opposite actor Tom Hanks in the romantic comedy film ‘Larry Tomatoes’. She also acted in the movies ‘Jesus Henry Christ’, ‘Love, Wedding, Marriage’ in the same year.
- In 2012, she played a negative role in the comedy-fantasy film ‘Mirror Mirror’ which is the film adaptation of the German fairy tale ‘Snow White’. Roberts played the Evil Queen in the film.
- The following year, she worked in the film ‘August: Osage County and her performance in this film earned her nominations of many grand awards such as ‘Academy Award’, ‘Golden Globe Awards, ‘Critics’ Choice Award’ and ‘Screen Actors Guild Award’.
- Her most recent projects were her appearance in the second season of the documentary series ‘Makers: Women Who Make America’ in 2014, where she portrays ‘Women in Hollywood’. She has also featured in the ‘Givenchy’ brands spring/summer campaign of 2015.
- Her upcoming movies are ‘The Secret in Their Eyes’ and ‘Money Monster’.
Awards and Nominations
- In 1989, she was awarded the ‘Golden Globe Award’ for her film ‘Steel Magnolias’ in the ‘Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture’ category. The following year, too she received the ‘Golden Globe Award’ for the film ‘Pretty Woman’ in the ‘Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy category.
- In 2000, she won the ‘Academy Award’ for her film ‘Erin Brockovich in the ‘Best Actress category. The same year, she also won the ‘Golden Globe Award’, ‘BAFTA Award’, ‘Critics’ Choice Movie Awards, ‘Screen Actors Guild Awards, ‘Blockbuster Entertainment Award’ and several other awards for the same movie.
- In 2013, she won many awards for the film ‘August: Osage County’ which include ‘Capri Award’, ‘Prism Award’, ‘Hollywood Film Festival’, and ‘Palm Springs International Film Festival’.
Facts About Julia Roberts
- Does Julia Roberts smoke?: No, but, she has been seen in movie scenes smoking.
- Does Julia Roberts drink alcohol?: Yes
- She has two pet dogs named Satchmo and Diego.
- Men’s Health included her in the list of “100 Hottest Women of All-Time” in 2011.
- Her parents married in 1965 and divorced in 1972 (However, it was filed in 1971). Julia’s mom subsequently married Michael Motes in 1972.
- Julia was 10 when her father died due to cancer.
- If she weren’t an actress, she would probably be a veterinarian (as she dreamt of that as a child).
- She is linked to several charities. One of them is UNICEF.
- Knitting is one of her favorite hobbies.
- She is believed to be born at 12:16 AM (EST).
- She is the owner of a production company named “Red Om”. If you read it reversed, it reads as “Moder”, which is the last name of Julia’s husband Daniel.
- Before longing for turning into a performing artist, she needed to be a veterinarian.
- She later contemplated news-casting in spite of the fact that she never finished her degree.
- As a youngster, Julia used to chomp her toenails off as opposed to section them. “I was extremely limber,” she told Movie line in 2002.
- In the wake of moving on from secondary school in 1985, Roberts moved to New York City to live with her sister, Lisa, who, alongside Roberts’ sibling, Eric, was seeking after an acting vocation.
- She once went for a section on All My Children (1970), however, was turned down.
- In 1987, she featured in Satisfaction close by Liam Neeson. Despite the fact that the film didn’t do well, they became hopelessly enamored and moved in together. She was 19, and he was 35 at the time. They separated a year later.
‘Pretty Woman’ Star Julia Roberts, Who Recently Converted To Hinduism, Says She Took Up The Religion Because She Was Intrigued By It. The 56-year-old American Actress Grew Up In Georgia, The Us’s Famous ‘bible Belt’, And Was Born To A Catholic Mother And Baptist Father.
Yes, She Was Married In 2002 And living Her Happily Married Life With Daniel Moder And 3 Children.
More Than 30 Years After They Played Characters Vivian Ward And Edward Lewis, Respectively, In Pretty Woman, Julia Roberts And Richard Gere Remain Close Friends Today. Prior To Richard And Alejandra Welcoming Their New Addition, The Actress And Her Husband, Danny Moder, Recently Got Together With Richard Gere.
In A New Interview With Vanity Fair, Eric, 61, Says His Battle With Drug Addiction Caused A Rift Between His Family And Led An Estrangement From Julia For Many Years. “I Wouldn’t Characterize It As A Falling-out.
Though They Had Great Onscreen Chemistry, Julia And Richard Never Explored A Real-life Romance. “Julia Was Still Dating Bad Boys Back Then, And Richard Wasn’t Bad Enough!” The Source Joked, Adding It’s Likely The Two Stars Regret “The Timing Never Added Up Romantically For Them.