Gerard Butler is a Scottish actor and film producer. He devoted seven years of his life studying law, before electing to become an actor. Butler was enthusiastic about movies from his more youthful days and was an avid moviegoer. He was also a part of the ‘Scottish Youth Theatre.’ After graduating in law, he was not sure about pursuing a career in law. Thus, he relocated to London to proceed with his hope of becoming famous. He made his stage presence in the Shakespeare tragedy ‘Coriolanus,’ while hunting for movie characters.
He became popular after performing the character of ‘The Phantom’ in the Academy Award-nominated film ‘The Phantom of the Opera.’ His fame increased when he performed ‘King Leonidas of Sparta’ in the fantasy war film ‘300.’ His portrayal of ‘King Leonidas’ received him worldwide appreciation and award nominations. Butler has also produced movies and emerged on television. A lesser-known fact is that he was a member of a rock band before taking up acting professionally.
Gerard Butler Wiki/Bio
|Birth Name||Gerard James Butler|
|Age||(as in 2023) 54 Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Scorpio|
|Birth Place||Paisley, Scotland|
|Date of Birth||13 November 1969|
|Home Town||Paisley, Scotland|
|Father’s Name||Edward Butler (Bookmaker)|
|Brother||Brian Butler (Older)|
|Sister||Lynn Butler (Older)|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Jasmine Burgess (2007-2008)|
• Naomi Campbell (2007)
• Cameron Diaz (2008)
• Shanna Moakler (2008-2009)
• Jennifer Aniston (2009)
• Lindsay Lohan (2009)
• Goga Ashkenazi (2010)
• Beatriz Coelho (2010)
• Martina Rajic (2010)
• Jessica Biel (2011)
• Ashley Greene (2011)
• Brandi Glanville (2011)
• Madalina Diana Ghenea (2012)
• Alesia Riabenkova (2012-2013)
• Lizzie Cundy (2014)
• Morgan Brown (2015-Present)
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|School||St Mirin’s & St Margaret’s High School, Paisley|
|College/University||• University of Glasgow|
• Scottish Youth Theatre
|Profession||Actor, film producer, singer|
|Brands Endorsed||• L’Oréal Men Expert commercial|
• print ad for Hugo Boss fragrance
• Super-Max commercial
• Ford Focus
|Career Manager||• Creative Artists Agency|
• Alan Siegel Entertainment
• The Spanky Taylor Company
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 188 cm|
in meters- 1.88 m
in feet inches- 6’2”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 102 kg|
in pounds- 225 lbs
|Chest Size||47 Inches|
|Biceps Size||16 Inches|
|Waist Size||35 Inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||White|
|Hair Color||Light Brown|
|Dress Size||Not Available|
|Shoe Size||9 (US)|
|Favorite Actor||Christian Bale|
|Favorite Sweet Tooth / Dessert||Blueberry muffins of Starbucks, Lemon Slice, Brownie|
Born in Paisley, Scotland, on November 13, 1969, Gerard Butler grew up the most youthful of three children in a devout Roman Catholic family. When he was 6 months old, his family relocated to Montreal, Canada, where his father attempted a few business ventures but eventually failed. A year and a half later, his parents separated, and his mother emigrated Gerard and his two older siblings back to her hometown of Paisley, Scotland.
After the move, Butler was raised by his mother, with no additional contact with his father until he was 16 years old. (Gerard Butler and his later father adapted, and survived close until his father passed away of cancer when Butler was in his early 20s.) During his childhood, Butler was fascinated with movies and acting, and his mother took him to numerous auditions. He entered the Scottish Youth Theatre and in one of his first characters performed a street urchin in its production of Oliver!.
Notwithstanding his love for theater and film, Butler was concerned to please his family and assumed that acting was not a practical career choice for him. “I was a 16-year-old child on the other front of the world from where they produced movies,” he later told. “Scottish actors never actually got play. There was Sean Connery, and that was it.”
Butler graduated near the pinnacle of his high school class and registered at the University of Glasgow, where he studied to become a lawyer and solicitor. During his time in university, Butler was also the director of the law society and graduated with honors.
Like many other new graduates, Butler determined to take a year off to travel outside, and his adventures soon settled him in Venice, California, where he reveled in the high life: “This is when things began to go a little mad,” he later stated. “Something very necessary and dark and vigorous and pleasurable but damaging took over. It was quickly identifying I could go out and have a life of traveling, craziness, adventure, partying, women, and all the other stuff that go with that including a feeling of abandonment.”
After California, Butler turned to Scotland to start a two-year traineeship at one of Edinburgh’s top law firms but soon saw that he hated the job more and more, and he began slacking off and allowing his depression show. A week before he was due to complete his traineeship, he moved to the Edinburgh Film Festival and noticed a stage production of Trainspotting, an experience that formed his disappointment with the law and his desire to be an actor.
Gerard Butler Net Worth
Gerard Butler has a net worth of $100 million dollars as of 2023.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||$100 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$80 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 Approx)||Under Review|
|Annual Salary||Under Review|
|Income Source||Actor, film producer, singer|
Gerard Butler Movies And TV Shows
- He made his first character in Steven Berkoff’s play ‘Coriolanus.’ Thereafter, he arrived a character in the theatre adaptation of Irvine Welsh’s novel ‘Trainspotting.’
- In 1997, he performed the role of ‘Archie Brown’ in the ‘Oscar’ award-nominated and Golden Globe-winning British drama film ‘Mrs. Brown.’ The film was also selected at the 1997 ‘Cannes Film Festival.’
- In 1998, he emerged in the British-American horror film ‘Tale of the Mummy,’ which was directed by Russell Mulcahy. The movie, which was established in Egypt, was shot in and around Egyptian mining sites.
- In 2000, he starred in the horror film ‘Dracula 2000,’ which was directed by Patrick Lussier. The film was a flop at the box office.
- In 2002, he started to star in the TV miniseries ‘The Jury,’ which was broadcast on the ‘ITV’ network. In the series, he performed the role of ‘Johnnie Donne.’
- In 2003, he made an appearance in the action film ‘Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life,’ which was directed by Jan de Bont. In the film, he played the character of ‘Terry Sheridan.’
- In 2004, he played the role of ‘The Phantom’ in the Academy Award-nominated film ‘The Phantom of the Opera,’ which was directed by Joel Schumacher. The movie received mixed reviews from film critics.
- In 2006, he gained fame and popularity for his portrayal of ‘King Leonidas’ in the film ‘300,’ which was directed by Zack Snyder. The film was based on a comic book series of the same name. The film served as a breakthrough in his career and established to be a turning point in his life.
- In December 2007, he acted in the American tragedy romance film ‘P.S. I Love You,’ which was directed by Richard LaGravenese. The film was based on Cecelia Ahern’s story of the same name.
- In 2008, he acted in the Australian adventure-fantasy film ‘Nim’s Island,’ which was directed by Jennifer Flackett and Mark Levin. The film was a tremendous hit at the box office.
- In 2009, he acted opposite Katherine Heigl in the romantic comedy film ‘The Ugly Truth,’ which was directed by Robert Luketic. Though it got negative reviews, the film was a commercial success.
- In 2010, he acted opposite Jennifer Aniston in the romantic action comedy film ‘The Bounty Hunter,’ which was directed by Andy Tennant. The film was not well-received by the reviewers.
- In March 2010, he voiced ‘Stoick the Vast’ in the 3D animated film ‘How to Train Your Dragon,’ which was directed by Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois. The film was a tremendous commercial success. He went on to sound ‘Stoick the Vast’ in the film’s sequels, ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2’ (2014) and ‘How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World’ (2019).
- In 2012, he acted in the biographical film ‘Chasing Mavericks,’ which was based on the life of surfer Jay Moriarity. The film was not well-received by the critics
- In 2013, he was cast to perform ‘Mike Banning,’ a secretive service agent, in the blockbuster action thriller film ‘Olympus Has Fallen.’ He went on to reprise the character of ‘Mike Banning’ in the film’s sequels, ‘London Has Fallen’ (2016) and ‘Angel Has Fallen’ (2019).
- He reprised his performance as ‘King Leonidas’ in the 2014 period drama film ‘300: Rise of an Empire.’ In 2017, he performed as a satellite designer in the successful movie ‘Geostorm,’ which was directed and produced by Dean Devlin.
- In 2018, he was viewed in movies, such as ‘Den of Thieves,’ ‘The Vanishing,’ and ‘Hunter Killer,’ all of which were fairly successful at the box office.
- In 2018, he was cast to perform an important character in an independent sports comedy-drama film titled ‘All-Star Weekend.’ The next year, he was cast to perform ‘Jeff’ in an American thriller film titled ‘Greenland.’
Tomorrow Never Dies
|1998 ||Tale of the Mummy|
One More Kiss
The Cherry Orchard
|2000 ||Dracula 2000|
Jewel of the Sahara
Reign of Fire
|2003||Lara Croft: Tomb Raider – The Cradle of Life|
|2004||The Phantom of the Opera|
|2005||The Game of Their Lives|
Beowulf & Grendel
Wrath of Gods
|2007||Butterfly on a Wheel|
P.S. I Love You
|2008 ||Nim’s Island|
|2009||Tales of the Black Freighter|
The Ugly Truth
Law Abiding Citizen
|2010||The Bounty Hunter|
How to Train Your Dragon
Legend of the Boneknapper Dragon
Na Nai’a Legend of the Dolphins
Machine Gun Preacher
Gift of the Night Fury
Playing for Keeps
Olympus Has Fallen
|2014||How to Train Your Dragon 2|
300: Rise of an Empire
|2015 ||Septembers of Shiraz|
|2016||Gods of Egypt|
London Has Fallen
A Family Man
|2018||Den of Thieves|
|2019||How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World|
Angel Has Fallen
|Yet To Be Released||All-Star Weekend|
TV Shows & Serials List
|1998||The Young Person’s Guide to Becoming a Rock Star|
Little White Lies Part 1
Little White Lies Part 2
|1999 ||Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married|
|2001||An Unsuitable Job for a Woman|
|2009||Saturday Night Live|
Great performance as King Leonidas in ‘300’
Though Phantom did not draw blockbuster gold, it got Butler acknowledged in Hollywood, and four years later he settled the lead character, as King Leonidas, in 300, the testosterone-infused historical story about a small legion of Spartan soldiers winning the enormous Persian army.
To look convincing as a warrior king, Butler practiced every day for four months in the most extreme workout regimen of his life, giving him an unbelievable physique in time for the shoot: “You know that every grain of sweat falling off your head, every weight you’ve elevated, the history of that is all in your eyes,” he stated. “That was a glorious thing, to put on that head and put on that helmet, and not have to think, ‘I should have prepared more.’ Instead, I was holding there feeling like a lion.”
- Gerard didn’t experience any formal acting training.
- His acting career began professionally in 1997 when he was 28.
- From Scotland, his family relocated to Montreal, Quebec, Canada when he was 6 months old. Though, after his parent’s divorce, he moved back to Scotland. At that time, he was around 18 months old. He then met his dad at the age of 16 (Yes, a large gap).
- When he was reading law, he became a member of the rock band named Speed.
- When he was 22, his father passed away from cancer.
- When his last year was quit at the University of Glasgow, he took a year leave and went to the United States and did many jobs, enjoyed his life to the completest, and was even detained for misbehaving in the public after getting drunk.
- Before becoming popular, he had served as a waiter, in a telemarketing company, and also as a demonstrator (telling people how toys work).
- He does not like to be clean shaved. But, whenever he shaves, he seems as if he has become 5 years younger.
- He has a big collection of jackets. He likes to collect them, and wherever he goes, he keeps it in his suitcase even if the temperature of the location (to be visited) is really hot and sticky.
- He takes massage several times a year, but facial, roughly once a year.
- He has a sweet tooth.
Yes, He Did. Previous To Phantom, He Had Very Little Singing Training. Many People Actually Dislike His Singing, But I Really Enjoyed It. His Singing Doesn’t Even Compare To The Brilliance Made By Other Phantoms, But It Was Pretty Good.
The Side Mouth, This Crooked Smile Sometimes Expresses Anger, Sometimes Charm. It Allows Butler To Attempt An American Accent If He Keeps His Mouth Neutral Scottish Slips Out Rather.
And Getting Gabrielle Really Helped To Garner The Support From The Other Actors. Surely, Butler Selected His Vehicle Well. He Has A Talent For Comedy, And He’s A Decent Soccer Player, Having Played Growing Up In Paisley, Scotland, Before Moving To Glasgow To Study Law At University.
Hollywood Actor Gerard Butler Thinks He Struggles While Dating Because He Expects Women To Call Him. “I Would Want A Woman To Call Me If I Hadn’t Called Her. If I Don’t Call It’s Because I’m Busy. But This Is Why I’m Single.
Butler Has Supported The Scottish Side Since Childhood And Even Got To Serve Celtic In The 2012 Film “Playing For Keeps” As A “Has-been” Player.
Scottish Actors Never Really Got Play. There Was Sean Connery, And That Was It. Though He Claims He Is “Not The Most Academic Of Guys,” Butler Graduated Near The Top Of His High School Class And Registered In The University Of Glasgow, Where He Studied To Become A Lawyer And Solicitor.