Dutch professional footballer Virgil van Dijk plays as a center-back for Premier League club Liverpool and the Netherlands national team. A world-class defender, Van Dijk is known for his strength, leadership, and aerial ability. A defender, he has been runner-up for the Ballon d’Or and the FIFA Men’s Player of the Year. He moved from Groningen to Celtic in 2013, where he won the Scottish Premiership and was named in the PFA Scotland Team of the Year in both of his seasons with the club. He also won the Scottish League Cup in the latter season.
He joined Southampton in 2015 before joining Liverpool for £75 million in January 2018, a then-world-record transfer fee. Van Dijk reached back-to-back UEFA Champions League finals with Liverpool in 2018 and 2019. Additionally, he was named PFA Players’ Player of the Year and Premier League Player of the Season. In 2019, Van Dijk helped end the club’s 30-year title drought by winning the 2019–20 Premier League.
He represented the Netherlands at both under-19 and under-21 levels. Captain of the Dutch national team since March 2018, he made his international debut in 2015. A year later, Van Dijk led the Netherlands to the final of the inaugural UEFA Nations League.
Virgil van Dijk Bio/Wiki
It is with great pleasure that Woodgram presents the full story of a football star known by the nickname “Vig”.
A brief biography of Virgil van Dijk’s life and a full account of all the notable events that took place in his childhood all the way up until the moment he became famous in soccer is presented in our version.
Liverpool and Dutch Legend, the analysis involve the life story of this footballer before fame, his family life, his relationship life, and many OFF-Pitch little-known facts about him that not many people know.
Daley Blind Biography, Age, Parents, Wife, Ajax, FIFA 22, Career, Net Worth & Wiki
Many people are aware of Virgil van Dijk’s defensive abilities, but very few realize that we have a Virgil van Dijk Biography, which is quite interesting. It is time to begin, so without further ado, let us begin.
Virgil van Dijk is a Dutch football player who was born on the 8th day of July 1991, in Breda, the Netherlands. His astrological chart shows that he is a Cancer. He was born in the Netherlands to a Dutch father (Ray Van Dyke) and a Surinamese mother (Ruby Van Dyke).
In contrast to his father’s appearance, the Liverpool Legend looks very much like his beautiful mother. In spite of several attempts to kickstart his career at Willem II, handsome-born Virgil failed to establish himself there.
It was thought that he was very slow and small. This was followed by him being admitted to the hospital because of a dangerous abdominal abscess he had. To date, the scars are still visible on the lower portion of his stomach.
It was fortunate for him that he recovered from his abdominal and growth complications. After his recovery, Virgil’s fitness and growth became so excessive. His parents considered it to be a miracle. From that point on, his career was a success.
From Breda, where Virgil was born, he traveled 255 km to Groningen, a place that gave him his first call to play football. Having become a professional player, he moved to Celtic in 2013, where he won the Scottish Premiership that year.
In both of his seasons, he was a member of the PFA Scotland Team of the Year, and in the latter season, he was also a Scottish League Cup winner.
As they say, the rest is history.
In making choice for a long-term relationship, Virgil decided to choose a woman who he believes is less likely to be unfaithful as well as someone who would stand by him through thick and thin.
Virgil and Rike are approximately the same age and are from the same country (The Netherlands). The two of them have been dating since they were children. It is with great pleasure that I present to you Virgil and his love of life, Rike.
Rike Nooitgedagt is presumed to be the one who helped Virgil adjust to his new life right from the time he was in Willem II. It has been credited that she gave up her high-powered job in order to join the man she loved in Scotland and Britain.
Rick once said in an interview that:
The work I did as a sales manager in the Netherlands involved selling different fashion brands to retail stores. I loved my job but had to resign to follow my boyfriend wherever he goes with football. So far, we’re settling in well and enjoying adventures with our dog.”
She is now working as a full-time football woman and Wag. A few months ago, Virgil publicly revealed his romantic side during their exotic holiday.
Apparently, he uploaded a picture of himself lifting his bikini-clad partner off her feet and wrote: “You are the love of my life.”.
Another public display of affection was shown by Rike when he posted: “I love you not only for who you are but also for who I am when I’m with you.
Their first child was born in 2014, a daughter, who Virgil is extremely fond of.
It was quite an event for the couple when their baby was born. As soon as Rike was due in September 2014, Van Dijk, at last, received that invitation to the Netherlands national football team that he had been waiting for so long.
Furthermore, the defender did not want to miss the birth of his daughter at all costs. So what did he decide to do?…
As part of his plan, Virgil arranged for his girlfriend to give birth prematurely to their daughter. This action was criticized by fans, as well as by the coach of the Netherlands, Guus Hiddink, who called him up to the national team.
It was his nemesis who caught up with him after making the unwise choice. The so-called anticipated match has not been selected for him by Guus Hiddink.
Rike was once found to have been cheated on by Virgil van Dijk while she was pregnant. Georgie Lyall allegedly offered him money in order to sleep with her.
In the hours following Celtic’s historic league title triumph at Parkhead, Georgie met up with ace Dutch defender Virgil van Dijk and his partner Rike Nooitgedagt.
His mind was filled with thoughts of meeting Georgie while he spent time with Rike during the celebration of his trophy.
According to a source, the pair were in contact the day before the jubilant Celtic squad finally got their hands on the silverware. A cheat message was sent between Virgil and Georgie before they met at an agreed hotel by the two love rats.
In the end, it was Georgie Lyall who decided to call it a day after making a decision to change her life. This happened after she accepted a university offer to study nursing at the university.
Jason Denayer Biography, Age, Parents, Wife, Career, Net Worth & Wiki
Following this, she then deleted all of her social media accounts. The woman insists that she has no regrets about her raunchy past nor does she have any regrets about meeting Virgil.
After being caught, the Dutchman claimed that he had messaged the woman from an account that he claimed belonged to a friend. It was less than two weeks after that, that Rike was surprised to learn that she was expecting a baby. According to recent reports, he is now a changed man.
It was evident from Van Dijk’s first appearance as a professional footballer that he possessed a high level of technical ability. In the past, he was used as an emergency striker for his first club Groningen. During the month of April 2011, he led his team to a 4-2 victory over ADO Den Haag.
In the process of moving him back to his natural central defensive position, he quickly established himself as one of the most promising young defenders in the world of football.
In the first place, Virgil van Dijk has admitted that facing Anthony Martial is nothing like playing in the Scottish Premiership. After Virgin van Dijk suffered from a spot cramp, Anthony Martial once assisted the defender.
Manchester United won 3-2 at St Mary’s after the Dutch defender was run ragged by the Frenchman as the Red Devils beat the Exiles. After the match, Martial took pity on Van Dijk and helped him with his cramp just before the end of the match.
It is important to mention that Virgil is a Christian by faith. Every night he creates a special time of prayer for his family, girlfriend, and the people he loves. Despite the fact that he rarely attends church.
In his own words
When I was a young girl, I went to church every Sunday. As I grew older, I stopped going to church. However, there are times when I pray and I feel that it has helped me get through some tough times.
Virgil van Dijk Net Worth
How much does he earn in 2020?
During the summer of 2017, the center-back signed a contract with Liverpool that pays him a tidy sum of 10.3 million euros (9.3 million pounds) per year. Having crunched the numbers, it comes out that he earns €28,142 (£25,295) per day and €1,173 (£1,054) per hour!
Salary & Net Worth Updated 2022
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||19 Million Euro (17 Million Pound)|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||Not Available|
|Annual Salary||10.3 Million Euro (9.3 Million Pound)|
|Per Month Salary||€858,333 (£746,377)|
|Per Week Salary||€198,077 (£172,241)|
|Per Day Salary||€28,219 (£24,538)|
|Per Hour Salary||€1,175 (£1,022)|
|Per Minute Salary||€20 (£17)|
|Current Contract||With Liverpool FC|
|Contract Signed||Jan 1, 2018|
|Contract Expires||Jun 30, 2025|
|Contract Signing Amount or Transfer Fee||$33.00 Million|
|Market Value||$60.50 Million|
|Highest Market Value||$110.00 Million (Sep 12, 2019)|
|Income Source||Professional Footballer|
There is no doubt that he has been playing in the Premier League for quite some time now and we all know that the salaries in that particular competition are quite high. From the moment he moved from Southampton to Liverpool he started to earn boatloads of cash from his football profession.
As of right now, we estimate that his net worth is around 19 million euros (17 million pounds). We think that his Market Value is actually higher than his latest transfer might suggest because his Market Value is evidently enormous.
There is no doubt that many see him as the best defender in the world and if he were to make yet another transfer we think the fee would be higher than 83 million euros. At the present time, we estimate that his Market Value is approximately $110 million.
Dick Van Dyke Wiki, Net Worth, Age, Affairs, Bio & More
Virgil van Dijk Stats/ Rating In FIFA 22
Virgil van Dijk has a rating of 90. His potential is 90, and he plays the position of cornerback. He is a 30-year-old Dutchman who plays as a midfielder for Liverpool in the Premier League in England.
As you can see, Virgil van Dijk has 2 Skill moves and 3 Weak Feet, he is Right-footed and his workrate is medium/medium. It is estimated that the player’s height is 193 cm and that his weight is 92 kg. He does have a real face in the game.
Virgil van Dijk FIFA 22 Stats
Overall Rating In FIFA 22
Potential In FIFA 22
|87||Heading Accuracy||70||FK Accuracy|
|79||Short Passing||86||Long Passing|
- Van Dijk initially struggled to break into Groningen’s first team, with club staff being concerned he was “overtired” after extensive playing time with Willem II’s academy and reserve sides.
- The Swedish international made his professional debut on 1 May 2011, coming on in the 72nd minute as a replacement for Petter Andersson during the club’s 4–2 victory against ADO Den Haag.
- Van Dijk, who was selected for the Eredivisie team for the 2011-2012 season, made 23 appearances in league matches for the Eredivisie club and scored his first goal of the season during the 6–0 victory over Feyenoord on 30 October 2011. He suffered a personal setback during the campaign, however, as soon as his 20th birthday rolled around, he was admitted to the hospital with kidney poisoning and peritonitis.
Virgil van Dijk in Celtic
- Van Dijk joined Celtic for a fee of around £2.6 million in June 2013, as part of a four-year deal that included a 10% selling-on fee for Groningen.
- During the second half of a 2–0 Scottish Premiership win over Aberdeen at Pittodrie Stadium on 17 August, he replaced Efe Ambrose in the final 13 minutes.
- Van Dijk scored his first Celtic goals in a 4-1 win against Ross County on 9 November. He scored one goal in each half of the game. On 26 December, he scored the only goal in a victory over St Johnstone after going on a solo run.
- Three Celtic players were also named to the PFA Scotland Team of the Year. Van Dijk lost out to Celtic teammate Kris Commons in the final of the PFA Scotland Players’ Player of the Year award despite being nominated.
- In a 4–0 home victory over Motherwell on 21 January 2015, van Dijk scored again. Against Inter Milan on 26 February, he was sent off in the 36th minute for a foul on Mauro Icardi, and Celtic lost 1–0 on the night, 4–3 on aggregate in the last 32 of the UEFA Europa League.
- On 8 March, he received a red card for a confrontation with Calum Butcher at Tannadice Park in the Cup quarter-final against Dundee United.
- Both Butcher’s suspension and Paul Paton’s, who was sent off when mistaken for Butcher in the following week’s Scottish League Cup Final, were overturned on appeal.
- At Hampden Park, Van Dijk played the entire 90 minutes of Celtic’s 2–0 victory.
- Van Dijk scored in the last minute of Celtic’s fourth consecutive match against Dundee United to confirm a 4–0 victory in the replay.
- Celtic played Inverness in the semi-finals of the Scottish Cup at Hampden Park on 19 April, and Van Dijk scored a free-kick that opened the scoring. As a result of the dismissal of Craig Gordon, Celtic lost 3–2 and their chances of a treble were lost.
- In the PFA Scotland Players’ Player award, he was again shortlisted, but he lost out to another teammate, Stefan Johansen this time.
Virgil van Dijk with Southampton
- It has been reported that Van Dijk signed a five-year contract with Premier League club Southampton, managed by Ronald Koeman, on 1 September 2015 for a reported £13 million transfer fee.
- The 23-year-old made his debut for Southampton on 12 September in a 0–0 draw with West Bromwich Albion at The Hawthorns.
- The Saints confirmed on 7 May 2016 that Virgil van Dijk had signed a new six-year deal with the club.
- As of 22 January 2017, he was named as Southampton’s new team captain following the departure of José Fonte. He suffered an ankle injury against Leicester City on the same day that he was named Southampton’s new captain.
- As a consequence, he was unable to participate in the 2017 EFL Cup Final, which Southampton lost to Manchester United at Wembley Stadium.
- During the 2016–17 season, Van Dijk was subject to interest from Liverpool, who apologized to Southampton for an illegal approach for the player. According to reports, Van Dijk made clear his interest in a move to Liverpool during his tenure at Southampton.
- The Dutch international handed in his transfer request to Southampton on 7 August 2017 and released a statement in conjunction with it, emphasizing his desire to join a different club during the transfer window.
- In the first half of the 2017/18 season, Van Dijk remained with Southampton, and on 26 September he made his first appearance since he was injured in January, coming on as a late substitute in a 1–0 victory at Crystal Palace.
- He made what turned out to be his final appearance for Southampton on 13 December 2017, when Southampton lost 4-1 to Leicester at home.
- Southampton’s matchday squad for the match on 22 May 2014, was his final appearance at the club before he, due to speculation surrounding his future, was omitted from the squad for the remainder of his time at Southampton.
Virgil van Dijk in Liverpool
- Van Dijk joined Liverpool on 27 December 2017 for a reported fee of £75 million when the winter transfer window opened on 1 January 2018.
- Due to a sell-on clause in his Southampton contract, Celtic would receive 10% of Van Dijk’s transfer fee. According to Southampton, the undisclosed transfer fee would be a world record for a defender.
- Liverpool’s 5 January FA Cup debut saw him score a late header in a 2–1 win over Everton.
- It was the first time since 1901 that a player had scored on their debut in the Merseyside derby.
- Liverpool’s defense is complemented by Van Dijk and Dejan Lovren, with the Dutchman credited with improving the team’s defense.
- Van Dijk was voted man of the match by BBC Sport and Sky Sports for his performance in a 2–0 win over Crystal Palace on 20 August.
- Van Dijk was named Liverpool Player of the Month for August. Van Dijk assisted on the winning goal against city rivals Everton on 2 December.
- Liverpool won 1–0 thanks to Divock Origi’s 96th-minute goal, set up by a Van Dijk volley and a Jordan Pickford error.
- November’s PFA Player of the Month was the Dutchman. Van Dijk scored his first Premier League goal for Liverpool in a 2–0 away win over Wolverhampton Wanderers on 21 December.
- In the 2018–19 season, he won the Premier League Player of the Month award for December 2018.
- Van Dijk scored twice in a 5–0 win over Watford on 27 February 2019. As soon as he joined the club, he scored his first Champions League goal and assisted another in a 3–1 win over Bayern Munich.
- So he became the first Liverpool player since Craig Bellamy in 2007 to score and assist in a knockout stage match away from home.
- He was nominated for the PFA Players’ Player of the Year award alongside teammate Sadio Mané on April 20.
- A week later, he was named in the PFA Team of the Year alongside Liverpool teammates Trent Alexander-Arnold, Mané, and Andrew Robertson.
- In April 2019, he was named PFA Players’ Player of the Year. Van Dijk won UEFA’s man of the match award following Liverpool’s 2–0 victory over Tottenham in the 2019 UEFA Champions League Final on 1 June.
- Van Dijk won the UEFA player of the year award in August.
- He was shortlisted in the final three of the FIFA Football Awards on 2 September. He was voted runner-up in The Best FIFA Men’s Player and into the FIFA FIFpro Men’s World 11. The Dutch defender was shortlisted as one of 30 players for the Ballon d’Or in October.
- He was runner-up to Lionel Messi at the event in December.
- Liverpool won the 2019 FIFA Club World Cup for the first time with Van Dijk playing against Flamengo in the final after missing the semi-finals with illness.
- Following the turn of the year, he was named to the 2019 UEFA Team of the Year.
- In the Premier League, Van Dijk scored his first North-West Derby goal against Manchester United on 19 January 2020.
- Van Dijk started and finished every minute for Liverpool during the 2019-20 domestic campaign.
- Van Dijk scored a headed goal against Leeds United on the opening day of the new season on 12 September 2020.
- In the sixth minute of the Merseyside derby, he was substituted after a challenge from Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford.
- It was announced the following day that he had suffered an ACL tear in his right knee and would need surgery. He was expected to miss six to twelve months.
- Successful surgery on his injuries was announced on 30 October.
- The Dutch national team coach Frank de Boer had hoped that Virgil van Dijk would make his return in time for the 2020 European Football Championship. However, Van Dijk decided to continue his rehabilitation so that he could start the next season fully fit.
- On 29 July 2021, van Dijk made his first appearance in over nine months, coming on as a substitute during a preseason friendly against Hertha BSC.
- Van Dijk signed a new four-year contract with the club on 13 August 2021, keeping him at the club until 2025.
- Liverpool’s first goal in over 14 months came against Southampton when he hit a volley from a corner.
- Against Kazakhstan in a UEFA Euro 2016 qualifier, Van Dijk made his full international debut for the Netherlands on 10 October 2015.
- The next day, he led his country to a 1–0 friendly defeat against England at home under manager Ronald Koeman.
- He scored his first international goal on 26 March to conclude a 3–0 win over European champions Portugal at the Stade de Genève.
- In the UEFA Nations League on 13 October, he scored in a 3–0 victory over 2014 World Cup champions Germany.
- Additionally, he scored the equalizer in the next match against Germany, after assistant coach Dwight Lodeweges sent him a small paper note during a break, asking him to play forward in the dying minutes.
- The goal enabled the Netherlands to win the first phase of the Nations League. Later, he captained his country to the final, where they lost 1–0 to Portugal.
- Having had a long-term injury since October 2020, van Dijk ruled himself out of playing in the postponed UEFA Euro 2020 in May 2021.
Popular Celebrities Are Suffered From Schizophrenia
Facts About Virgil van Dijk
- It is believed that van Dijk was born in Breda to a Dutch father and a Surinamese mother.
- In his formative years, he played football wherever he could – on the streets, in concrete cages, and eventually on Saturday mornings in matches.
- Aside from his time as a student at the Willem II academy, he also worked part-time as a dishwasher in the city.
- After previously and unsuccessfully making his appearances for Liverpool as a right-back, Van Dijk was shifted into a defensive central position in 2008, aged 17 after having grown in height by around 18 centimeters.
- Edwin Hermans, Willem II’s reserve manager at the time, believed Van Dijk had “too many limitations” that prevented him from breaking into the first team despite the positional shift and physical growth he had experienced in the past year.
- During the 2010-2011 season, he was scouted by former Dutch international Martin Koeman, who was working for FC Groningen at the time, and he ended up completing a free transfer to the club that same season.
- EA Sports’ video game FIFA 20 includes Van Dijk as the cover star for the championship edition of the video game. Van Dijk is endorsed by sportswear company Nike.
- In Van Dijk’s kit, he is usually only referred to by his first name.
- According to his uncle Steven, this is because of a longstanding family feud with his father, Ron van Dijk, who abandoned his wife, Virgil, and his siblings when he was a child.
- Their childhood sweetheart, Rike Nooitgedagt, is also married to Virgil and they have four children together.
- According to some sources in China, Van Dijk reportedly has Chinese ancestry. Her mother, Helene Fo Sieeuw, is of part-Chinese descent, as is his father.
- The surname Fo Sieeuw derives from the given name of his maternal great-grandfather. His great-grandfather, who emigrated from Guangdong to Suriname around 1920, was called Chin Fo Sieeuw.
What is Virgil van Dijk’s ethnicity, black or white?
Van Dijk was born in Breda to a Dutch father and a Surinamese mother.
How many red cards does Virgil van Dijk have?
Virgil van Dijk received 1 yellow card and 0 red cards.
How tall is Dijk?
Who is the best defender in the world?
In The best defenders ranking in the world, Virgil Van Dijk stands as the number 1 defender with 445 appearances.
Fraser Forster Biography, Age, Club, Career, Net Worth & Wiki
A look at Virgil van Dijk’s life story reveals that our career path is not solely dependent on our childhood dreams when it comes to our career path. The fact that kids compelled him to stay in the post against his wishes was an opportunity for him to build himself up.
In our opinion, the parents should be commended for the fact that they have devoted a large part of their money to enrolling Virgil van Dijk in a sports academy. It is true they will be very proud of the fact that he never wasted the opportunity he had to succeed in his endeavors.
Thank you for taking out your precious time to read Woodgram’s version of Virgil van Dijk’s Biography. Our team of writers and researchers care about the accuracy of our content on Dutch Footballers. Please let us know if you spot any wrongs in our article.
On a final note, we would appreciate your feedback (below as a comment) on what you think about Virgil van Dijk, including our biography of him. Now, stay tuned for more Dutch Football Stories from WoodGram.