Tom Selleck(Thomas William) is an actor made famous by his portrayal of the private investigator Thomas Magnum in the television series, Magnum, P.I., with his serious looks, stern demeanor and the trademark mustache, he makes a good choice to play cops and investigators roles he had often been offered to portray. Keeping up with his image, he played the Police Chief Jesse Stone in a series of television movies based on Robert B. Parker novels. The talented actor had been in show business for long before he actually got noticed. He had appeared in minor roles in a number of films and television productions before Magnum, P.I., happened and made him a household name.
After that role, he began receiving more substantial parts in television series and films and landed a role in the movie Three Men, and a Baby which went on to become a huge commercial hit. Acting seemed to be an unlikely profession for the athletic basketball player who majored in business administration. He took up acting on the advice of a drama coach. Starting from small roles he eventually rose to become the award-winning, much sought after actor that he is today. A sportsman during his younger years, he is also an accomplished beach volleyball player.
Tom Selleck Bio/Wiki
[table id=347 /]
Family, Education & More
Tom Selleck is the son of Martha Jagger and Robert Dean Selleck. His father was an executive and real estate investor while his mother was a housewife. He has three siblings. He went to Grant High School from where he graduated in 1962. He was athletically built and played several sports. He earned a basketball scholarship to attend the University of Southern California. He majored in business administration. He also used to model and was advised by his drama coach to try his hand at acting. He then took up acting at the Beverly Hills Playhouse under Milton Katselas.
Tom Selleck Net Worth
According to Woodgram, Tom Selleck’s estimated Net Worth, Salary, Income, Cars, Lifestyles & many more details have been updated below. Let’s check, How Rich is Tom Selleck in 2023?
[table id=348 /]
Noted, Currently, We don’t have enough information about Cars, Monthly/Yearly Salary, etc. We will update you soon.
- Tom Selleck began his acting career playing a small role in television series. He appeared as a college senior on the show, The Dating Game in 1965, a role he reprised in 1967. He also started acting in commercials during his initial days he would grab on to any work he could get his hands on.
- All through the 1970s, he found employment playing minor roles in films and television productions like The Movie Murderer (1970), Owen Marshall: Counselor at Law (1973), Charlies Angels (1976), and The Sacketts (1979).
- In spite of his good looks, impressive physique, and acting skills, the talented actors’ career was not moving forward the way he would have wanted it to; even after working for years, he primarily remained unnoticed. This changed when he was offered a role in the television series, Magnum, P.I.
- Tom Selleck played Thomas Magnum, a private investigator, in the television series, Magnum, P.I. The series which was broadcast on the CBS network from 1980 to 1988 was a big hit, and one of the highest-rated shows on U.S. television.
- His movie career also took off following his success as a television actor. He appeared along with Steve Guttenberg and Ted Danson in the comedy film, Three Men and a Baby in 1987. The film was one of the biggest hits of the year.
- Tom Selleck played Dr. Richard Burke in 10 episodes of the television sitcom Friends from 1996 to 2000. His performance was much loved by the critics as well as the audience even though his role was just a guest’s appearance. He was nominated for Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series.
- In 1997 he acted in the romantic comedy In & Out which also starred Kevin Kline, Joan Cusack, and Matt Dillon. The movie was inspired by Tom Hankss speech at the 1994 Oscar Awards ceremony regarding the wonderful gay men he had met.
- Tom Selleck starred as a successful advertising agency executive in the television sitcom, The Closer. He appeared in 10 episodes of the show that aired on CBS in 1998.
- During 2007-08, he appeared as A.J. Cooper in the television series Las Vegas. The show focused on a group of casino employees who dealt with issues arising within the working environment.
- Alongside Kathy Baker, he appeared in the television mystery film Jesse Stone: Sea Change in 2007. The movie was based on a novel by Robert Parker and revolved around a police chief who investigates an unsolved murder. He reprised his role as Jesse Stone in other movies in the series too.
- Starting from 2010 he has been starring in the police drama series Blue Bloods as Frank Reagan. The series follows the life and works of a family of police officers with the New York City Police Department.
[table id=349 /]
Tom Selleck Awards and honors
On April 28, 2000, Tom Selleck received an honorary doctorate degree from Pepperdine University. He was chosen because of his outstanding character and ethic. Tom Selleck is a board member of the non-profit Joseph and Edna Josephson Institute of Ethics and co-founder of the Character Counts Coalition. He received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1986. The star is situated at 6925 Hollywood Blvd.
[table id=350 /]
Some Known Facts About Tom Selleck
- When he was a child, Tom’s family moved to Sherman Oaks, California.
- Tom Selleck is a member of many social organizations like the Sigma Chi, the Trojan Knights, and the Wednesday Morning Club of Hollywood.
- From 1967 to 1973, Tom served in the 160th Infantry Regiment of the California Army National Guard.
- Pepperdine University confirmed him with an honorary doctorate for his outstanding character and ethics on April 28, 2000.
- Tom Selleck used to partly co-own The Black Orchid restaurant in Honolulu, Hawaii along with Larry Manetti and one other investor.
- In 1998, People magazine listed him as one of the “50 Most Beautiful People in The World”.
- Tom had to reject the lead role for the film Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) because of his prior commitment to TV series Magnum, P.I. (1980). However, the series later did an episode based on the film and called it the Legend of the Lost Art (1988).
- As a member of the National Rifle Association (NRA), he has appeared in an advertisement supporting the NRA.
- Before he got his breakthrough role in Magnum, P.I. in 1980, he had 6 six failed TV pilots.
- Tom has shaved off his famous mustache for films like In & Out (1997) and Charlie’s Angels: Target: Angels (1976), and later in 2001, for the Broadway show A Thousand Clowns.
- He trained with the Detroit Tigers for his role in Baseball (1992) and even played in the actual game against the Cincinnati Reds.
- He received a bonus of $350,000 for the final season of Magnum, P.I. from Universal Studios which he spent on lavish gifts for the entire cast and crew of Magnum, P.I.
- Tom used to play competitive volleyball for the Outrigger Canoe Club.
- Tom is one of the first actors ever to accept the dishonor award called the Worst Supporting Actor Razzie Award for his part in the film Christopher Columbus: The Discovery (1992).
- He has played the character of a Private Investigator in TV series such as The Rockford Files and Magnum, P.I.
- In reality, he is only 5 years younger to Len Cariou, though he plays his son in Blue Bloods (2010).
- He used to own a German shepherd named Ooma.
- He is known to be the only actor to have appeared in every episode of the TV series Magnum, P.I.
- Tom has performed as Thomas Magnum in series such as Magnum, P.I. (1980-1988), Simon & Simon (1982), and Murder, She Wrote (1986).
- In 2015, he was inducted into the International Mustache Hall of Fame in the category “Film & Television”.
- Late James Garner was his acting mentor.
- Tom Selleck is crazy about ice hockey and watches Los Angeles Kings games at the Staples Center.
- Tom Selleck is associated with many organizations like the non-profit Michael Josephson Institute of Ethics and is a co-founder of Character Counts Coalition.
- In 1986, he was awarded the Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- Tom Selleck has worked as an executive producer in many TV series like The Closer (1998), B.L. Stryker (1989-1990), and Magnum, P.I. (1987–1988).
- In 2015, he had to pay $21,685.55 to the Calleguas Municipal Water District to settle a dispute for stealing water from a public fire hydrant and transferring approximately 1.4 million total gallons of water to his estate.
- Tom Selleck owns 65 acres of land in Thousand Oaks, California, and it consisted of a 1926 ranch house, a horse corral, and 20-acres of the avocado farm.
- Although he owns an avocado farm, he dislikes it.
- His face has been featured by the California National Guard and the California Military Academy on their recruitment posters.
- Tom Selleck is not active on social media.
What Age Is Tom Selleck?
78 Years (January 29, 1945)
Where Does Tom Selleck Currently Live?
He Lives On An Avocado Ranch, Selleck Lives On A 65-acre Ranch And Avocado Farm In California.
Is Kevin Selleck Related To Tom Selleck?
He Was Born In 1966 To The Former Model And Actress Jacqueline Ray. Kevin Selleck Was Adopted On The 7Th Of August 1987 By The Iconic Actor Tom Selleck When He Was 19 Years Old, Whilst Tom Was Still Married To His Mother.
Can Tom Selleck Walk?
Does Selleck Ever Plan To Walk Away From The Show? He Revealed The One Thing That Makes Him Stay. “Let Me Say That It’s Not Like You Can Get A New Detective And Bring Him To The Family Dinner Table,” Revealed Selleck.
Why Did Amy Carlson Leave Blue Bloods?
Carlson graduated Cum Laude. In 2010, Carlson Began Starring As Linda Reagan On Blue Bloods. Carlson Continued In The Role Of Linda Through The Seventh Season Of Blue Bloods, But After Seven Years On The Series, Carlson Elected To Leave Her Contract And Move On From The Show Permanently.