Tilda Swinton is a remarkable British actress, model, and artist who has appeared in many renowned films and has won big awards for her superior performances. Swinton was born in London in a renowned family. Her father was a major general who formerly headed the Household Division in the British Army. Involve in acting from a young age, she began functioning on stage when she was still in college. She later joined the Royal Shakespeare Company and made her professional acting introduction in the play ‘Measure for Measure’. She later propelled to the cinema, making her movie introduction in the British film ‘Caravaggio’.
The other remarkable works in her career include ‘Vanilla Sky’, ‘Constantine’, and ‘Michael Clayton’ for which she gained the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress as well as the BAFTA Award for Best Actress for her character of Karen Crowder. The film was a financial success and also earned critical recognition. Her recent works include a supporting appearance in the superhero film ‘Doctor Strange’, where she performed The Ancient One. A much-accomplished actress, she is the beneficiary of numerous prestigious awards. She was given special gratitude from the Museum of Modern Art in 2013.
|Birth Name||Katherine Matilda Swinton|
|Nick Name||Swilda, Tilda|
|Age||(as in 2020) 60 years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Scorpio|
|Birth Place||London, England, UK|
|Date of Birth||05 November 1960|
|Mother's Name||Judith Balfour Killen|
|Father's Name||Maj John Swinton (Retired Major General in the British Army and was also Lord Lieutenant of Berwickshire from 1989-2000)|
|Brother(s)||James Christopher Swinton (Brother) (Video Producer)|
Alexander Harold Swinton (Brother) (Stockbroker)
Maj William Henry Cospatrick Swinton (Brother) (Commissioned Scots Guards)
John Byrne (1995-2003)
Sandro Kopp (2004-Present)
Marital Status, Husband and Children
|Children||Son- Xavier Swinton Byrne|
Daughter- Honor Swinton Byrne
(twins - b. October 6, 1997)
|School||Queen’s Gate School in London|
The West Heath Girls’ School
New Hall which is now known as Murray Edwards College, a part of the University of Cambridge
|Educational Qualification||Graduated in Social and Political Sciences|
|Brands Endorsed||Tilda Swinton has served as the brand ambassador for NARS and was the face of their Spring / Summer 2015 collection.|
|Career Manager||Hamilton Hodell|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm|
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet inches- 5’10”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 57 kg|
in pounds- 126 lbs
|Breast Size||34 Inches|
|Hips Size||35 Inches|
|Waist Size||26 Inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||White|
|Dress Size||4 (US) or 36 (EU)|
|Shoe Size||8 (US)|
|Favorite Movies||I Know Where I’m Going (1945), School of Rock (2003), Brüno (2009)|
|Favorite Books||Auntie Mame (By Patrick Dennis), The Essential (By P.G. Wodehouse)|
|Favorite Comedian||Amy Schumer|
|Favorite Musicians||David Bowie, Bjork|
Tilda Swinton was born on 5th November 1960 in London. Her father John Swinton was a major general in the British Army and her mother was Judith Balfour. She has three brothers. She learned at three different schools, one of them being an expensive boarding school named West Heath Girls’ School.
She later termed her experience at the school as sour and has said that boarding schools are very cruel and children don’t advance from that kind of environment. She later attended New Hall (now called Murray Edwards College) at the University of Cambridge, where she earned a degree in social and political sciences in 1983.
During this time, she entered the Communist Party and later, the Scottish Socialist Party. It was also during this span that she began acting on stage. Tilda Swinton dated scenarist John Byrne from 1989 to 2003. They have two children, twins Honor and Xavier Swinton Byrne, who were born in 1997.
Her present partner is Sandro Kopp, a German painter. Other than acting, Tilda Swinton is also known for various other works. She initiated the new Screen Academy Scotland production center in Edinburgh and began the film festival ‘Ballerina Ballroom Cinema of Dreams’.
Tilda Swinton Net Worth
Tilda Swinton has a net worth of $10 million.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2019 (Approx)||$10 million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2018(Approx)||Under Review|
|Annual Salary||Under Review|
|Income Source||Actress |
Tilda Swinton Movies And TV Shows
- Tilda Swinton joined the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1984, and appeared in the play ‘Measure for Measure’. Her first work in cinema was in the 1986 drama film ‘Caravaggio’ directed by Derek Jarman.
- Her TV career also began in 1986, with a role in the mini-series ‘Zastrozzi: A Romance’ which was based on the Gothic novel by Percy Bysshe Shelley.
- From 1986 to 1990, she was seen in the TV series ‘The Open Universe’.
She continued to work with Jarman in some of his other works, such as ‘The Last of England’ (1987), ‘War Requiem’ (1989) and ‘Edward II’ (1991), for which she received the Volpi Cup at the 1991 Venice Film Festival in the ‘Best Actress Category’.
- During the late 1990s, she appeared in the movies ‘Female Perversions’ (1996), ‘Conceiving Ada’ (1997), and ‘The War Zone’ (1999).
- In 2000, she was seen in the Canadian film ‘Possible Worlds’, which was adapted from a play of the same name. She was next seen alongside Leonardo DiCaprio in the drama thriller film ‘The Beach’. The film was a commercial success, though reviews were mostly negative.
- She starred with Tom Cruise in the 2001 sci-fi psychological thriller ‘Vanilla Sky’. It was a commercial success and reviews were mostly mixed.
- In the ensuing years, she appeared in films like ‘Adaptation’ (2002), ‘Young Adam’ (2003), ‘Constantine’ (2005), ‘Stephanie Daley’ (2006), and ‘The Man from London’ (2007).
- She was seen in the legal thriller ‘Michael Clayton’ (2007), which was a commercial and critical success. Directed by Tony Gilroy, the film was nominated for seven Oscars, including the one for Best Picture. The sole win went to Swinton in the ‘Best Supporting Actress’ category. She also won the BAFTA Award for ‘Best Supporting Actress’.
- In 2008, she was seen in the lead role in the crime drama film ‘Julia’. She next played a supporting role in ‘The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian’, which was a commercial success and was met with mostly positive reviews.
- She appeared in the black comedy film ‘Burn After Reading’ in 2008. Her next work was a minor role in David Fincher’s fantasy romantic drama film ‘The Curious Case of Benjamin Button’ which was nominated for thirteen Oscars, including Best Picture.
- Her other important works include ‘I am Love’ (2009) where she also served as the executive producer. The film was a critical and commercial success.
- In 2011, she played the lead role in the psychological thriller film ‘We Need to Talk About Kevin’. Her performance earned her nominations for the BAFTA Award and the Golden Globe Award in the ‘Best Actress Category’.
- In the 2010s, she continued appearing in successful films, such as ‘The Moonrise Kingdom’ (2012), ‘Only Lovers Left Alive’ (2013), ‘Snowpiercer’ (2013), ‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’ (2014) and ‘Hail, Caesar’ (2016).
- In 2016, she appeared in the superhero film ‘Doctor Strange’, playing ‘The Ancient One’, the mentor of the titular character. The film was a success, financially and critically.
- Her most recent works are ‘Okja’ (2017), ‘War Machine’ (2017), and ‘The Isle of Dogs’ (2018).
Egomania – Insel ohne Hoffnung
The Last of England
|1988||Das Andere Ende der Welt|
Cycling the Frame
Degrees of Blindness
|1989||Play Me Something|
The Party – Nature Morte
|1994||Remembrance of Things Fast: True Stories Visual Lies|
The War Zone
|2001||The Deep End|
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
The Man from London
|2008||Burn After Reading|
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
|2009||I Am Love|
The Limits of Control
|2010||The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader|
|2011||Genevieve Goes Boating|
We Need to Talk About Kevin
|2013||Only Lovers Left Alive|
The Stars (Are Out Tonight)
The Zero Theorem
|2014||The Grand Budapest Hotel|
|2015||A Bigger Splash|
The Seasons in Quincy: Four Portraits of John Berger
|2017||Letters from Baghdad|
|2018||Isle of Dogs|
The Dead Don't Die
The Personal History of David Copperfield
|2020||The French Dispatch|
TV Shows & Serials List
|1986||Zastrozzi: A Romance|
|1990||Your Cheatin' Heart|
|1992||Shakespeare: The Animated Tales|
|1994||Visions of Heaven and Hell|
|1998||Love Is the Devil: Study for a Portrait of Francis Bacon|
|2013||When Björk Met Attenborough|
|2019||What We Do in the Shadows|
- Swinton is the descendant of the Saxon origin from the kingdom of Northumberland. Her parental ancestry which is Anglo-Scot can be traced back to thousands of years, to the middle ages.
- Tilda Swinton joined the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1984 and appeared in the play Measure for Measure.
- Her first work in cinema was in the 1986 drama film Caravaggio directed by Derek Jarman.
- She is widely known for her androgynous presence as people widely confuse her to a male because of her tall frame and lack of lipstick.
- Her TV career also began in 1986, with a character in the mini-series Zastrozzi: A Romance which was based on the Gothic novel by Percy Bysshe Shelley.
- In 1988, she was a member of the jury at the 38th Berlin International Film Festival.
- In 1993, she was a participant of the jury at the 18th Moscow International Film Festival.
- In 1996, she emerged in the music video for Orbital’s The Box.
- Tilda had joined the Communist Party and later the Scottish Socialist Party when she was studying at the University of Cambridge.
- In July 2008, she created the film festival Ballerina Ballroom Cinema of Dreams. The event took place in a ballroom in Nairn on Scotland’s Moray Firth in August.
- In 2012, Swinton emerged in Doug Aitken’s SONG 1, an outdoor video installation created for the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in Washington D.C.
- In 2013, she was named as one of the fifty best-dressed over 50 by The Guardian and often appears on International Best Dressed Lists.
- In February 2013, she characterized the part of David Bowie’s wife in the promotional video for his song, The Stars (Are Out Tonight), directed by Floria Sigismondi.
- In July 2013, Swinton appeared photographed in front of Moscow’s St. Basil’s Cathedral holding a rainbow flag in support of the country’s LGBT community, reportedly releasing a statement: In solidarity. From Russia with love.
- She was ranked one of the best dressed women in 2018 by fashion website Net-a-Porter.
Was Tilda Swinton Born A Male?
She Was Born Katherine Mathilda Swinton On November 5, 1960, In London, England. Her Mother, Judith Balfour, Lady Swinton (Née Killen), Was Australian, And Her Father, Major-general Sir John Swinton, An Army Officer, Was English-born.
Was Tilda Swinton A Model?
Katherine Matilda “Tilda” Swinton (Born 5 November 1960) Is A British Actress, Performance Artist, Model, And Fashion Muse, Known For Her Roles In Independent And Hollywood Films. Swinton Was Nominated For A Golden Globe Award For Her Performance In The Deep End (2001).
What Nationality Is Tilda Swinton?
How Many Languages Does Tilda Swinton Speak?
Is Tilda Swinton In Lord Of The Rings?
Fan Casting Tilda Swinton As Galadriel In Lord Of The Rings (2019).
Which Movie Did Tilda Swinton Portray A Witch?
White Witch In The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe (2005 Film) And The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader (2010 Film).
Where Does Tilda Swinton Live?
Tilda Swinton Must Be An Expert At Entertaining. There Seems To Be A Steady Flow Of Guests Who Make The Pilgrimage To Her Home In The Fishing Port Of Nairn, In The Northeast Fringe Of The Scottish Highlands, Where She Lives With Her Artist Boyfriend, Sandro Kopp, And Her Teenage Twins, Xavier And Honor.
Is Tilda Swinton A Vegetarian?
Swinton Said I Don’t Really Eat Meat. So If I Eat Meat I Know It’s Wild, But I’m Privileged To Live Where I Do And It’s Very Very Difficult To Do If You Live In Cities.