Sonam Kapoor is a well-known Indian actress and model of Bollywood. She is mainly known as the daughter of great actor Anil Kapoor. Forbes Magazine has also featured her in its list of top 100 Celebrities based on income and popularity. She is Popularly Known As The Fashionista Icon Of the Indian Film Industry and also received Filmfare And A National Film Award for her acting skills.
Sonam Kapoor was born in a Punjabi Hindu family on 9 June 1985 to legendary actor Anil Kapoor and Sunita Kapoor. Famous director-producer Boney Kapoor and actor Sanjay Kapoor are her uncles, and the great actress late Sridevi is her aunt. Some famous actors like Arjun Kapoor, Ranveer Singh are her cousins. She also has a younger sister Rhea Kapoor, a film producer, and brother Harshvardhan Kapoor, an actor.
Sonam Kapoor had her first relationship with Sahir Berry, an Entrepreneur, and Model. Then she also dated the director Punit Malhotra. After dating some time, Sonam married Entrepreneur Anand Ahuja, on 8 May 2018 in Mumbai. Anand proposed to her in July 2014, which she accepted later.
Sonam Kapoor Wiki/Bio
[table id=2100 /]
Sonam Kapoor completed her schooling from Arya Vidya Mandir, Juhu, Mumbai. Then she received a Bachelor’s degree in Economics and Political Science. Later, Sonam went to the University of East London, London, and completed his theater & arts degree from there.
Sonam started her career as an assistant director of the movie ‘Black’ (2005) which was directed by eminent director and producer Sanjay Leela Bhansali. This film won several Filmfare, IIFA, and National Film. Two years later, Sonam made her film debut as an actress with the movie ‘Saawariya’ in 2007, which didn’t get much success.
Sonam Kapoor Net Worth
The total net worth of Sonam Kapoor is $15 million USD, which in Indian Currency is INR 84 Crores. Mostly she earned from Brand endorsements for which she charges INR. 1-1.5 Crore per endorsement. Sonam Kapoor bought a luxury home in 2014. The Estimated Value of this Real Estate Property is around INR 24.6 Crores.
[table id=2098 /]
- After the release of her family production film Aisha (2010), her co-actor Abhay Deol publicly expressed his disappointment over the amount of attention given to Sonam rather than other things.
- In 2010, she had a Twitter fight with Columnist Shobhaa De after Shobhaa’s review about Sonam’s film I Hate Luv Storys (2010) by calling it “I Hate Dumb Stories” and further went on to call her ‘a lassie who lacks oomph’, after which Sonam replied her back with the chain of tweets.
- After she was chosen as the brand ambassador for one of the products of L’Oreal, she was excited to walk on the red carpet at Cannes with Aishwarya Bachchan, but Aishwarya refused to walk with her. After this incident, she said, “Ash has worked with my dad so I have to call her aunty”.
- In an interview with film critic Anupama Chopra at the Cannes, when she was asked about Katrina Kaif, she considered Katrina’s success to “a certain kind of shamelessness” in doing “over the top films.”
In the year 2009, Her second movie came where she apeared with the famous actor Abhishek Bachchan in Delhi 6. Sonam Kapoor was being regarded as a superstar after her 2 megahits, Ayesha and I Hate Love Story in 2010. In the following year, she was listed in Forbes list of 100 most famous Indian superstars.
Later, Sonam Kapoor appeared in some average movies including 2011 Thank You Sanjana Malhotra Mausam(2011), Players(2012), Bombay Talkies (2013). She got a huge recognization with the film Raanjhanaa in 2013, which also has famous south actor Dhanush and Abhay Deol.
In 2014, Sonam did the movie Khoobsurat, which was a mild success at the Indian box office. Afterward, Sonam Kapoor played the leading role of a princess in the movie ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ which was considered amongst one of the top-grossing movies in Bollywood.
Sonam Kapoor starter Neerja become a huge household for him. This movie is a biopic of Neerja Bhanot, Sonam played the role of Neerja Bhanot, who died while saving passengers on Pan Am Flight 73. Sonam won National Filmfare Award for it. After that, she also did a lead role in Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga along with her father Anil Kapoor.
[table id=2099 /]
Facts About Sonam Kapoor
- Does Sonam Kapoor drink alcohol? Yes
- Does Sonam Kapoor smoke? No
- In Mumbai, she was born to a Sindhi mother and a Punjabi father.
- Even though she comes from a well-educated family, she has led a normal life and has worked as a waitress to earn pocket money.
- As well as dancing, she has taken lessons in classical Indian dance and is a trained Kathak, classical, and Latin dancer.
- At 16, Sonam wrote a poem called Ambition, which she gave to her soulmate.
- She wasn’t interested in acting due to her overweight.
- In her debut film Saawariya (2007), opposite Ranbir Kapoor, she lost about 30 kg of weight. Earlier, she weighed around 90 kg.
- Having never taken any designer items from her parents, she bought herself a bag from Selfridges, London, after her debut.
- She vowed not to marry an actor.
- She and her co-star Abhay Deol had a fight during the shooting of Aisha, after which they decided not to work together again.
- Due to her updated sense of style, Sonam is considered a fashionista or style icon in Bollywood.
- She has also appeared in Coldplay’s music video, making her the only Bollywood actress to do so.
- She supports many charitable organizations as a philanthropist. As part of the IIFA Fashion Show, she helped widows and orphans of Indian Film Industry workers.
- She is the brand ambassador of the Elle Breast Cancer Campaign.
- In preparation for her debut role, Sonam Kapoor had her tongue pierced.
- In New Zealand, she conquered her Acrophobia (fear of heights) by skydiving.
Is Sonam Kapoor is diabetic?
She was detected with type 1 diabetes at the age of 17. Along with taking proper medications, the actress also does exercise regularly. She follows a healthy diet and is also a strict vegetarian.
Who is more beautiful, Kareena or Sonam Kapoor?
Kareena. There’s a natural spark in her, and she knows how to slay even without makeup and in simple clothes. Sonam, on the other hand, tries to work to create a headline. It’s all rehearsed and tried. Bebo goes with the flow.
Who invites Sonam Kapoor to Cannes every year?
L’Oréal is one of the biggest personal care brands in the world and has some of the top models & actresses, representing it as brand ambassadors. Every year L’Oréal gets all its brand ambassadors to Cannes. This is primarily why Sonam Kapoor and Aishwarya Rai keep going to Cannes without any movies being screened.
Who is the best actress between Sonam Kapoor, and Alia Bhatt?
Alia Bhatt is a better actress than Sonam Kapoor. Alia Bhatt is the most talented, spontaneous, brilliant, and versatile actress of the present generation. She has acted exceedingly well not only in commercial movies such as ‘Student of the Year’, ‘2 States’, ‘Kapoor & Sons’ but also in critically acclaimed movies such as ‘Highway’, ‘Udta Punjab’, ‘Dear Zindagi’, ‘Raazi’, ‘Gully Boy’ etc. to name a few. She is simply brilliant in emotional scenes. Her portrayal as a simple small-town girl character is awesome in ‘Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania’ and ‘Badrinath Ki Dulhania’. She portrays every character convincingly and impresses the audience with her performance. Sonam Kapoor, on the other hand, is not as brilliant as Alia Bhatt. In my opinion, Sonam Kapoor has been good at ‘Neerja’ and ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’. She might become a better actress in the near future.