Ricky Martin is a Puerto Rican singer who controlled the world of Latin and American pop throughout the 1990s. After his first task with the all-boy Latin pop band ‘Menudo,’ he went on to pursue a career as a solo artist. He released a couple of albums in Spanish before he was chosen to make ‘La Copa de la Vida’ (The Cup of Life) as the official theme of the 1998 ‘FIFA World Cup.’ He later played the same at the 41st ‘Grammy Awards.’ It was his blockbuster single ‘Livin’ la Vida Loca’ that earned him worldwide attention and made him an international superstar.
As one of the most famous Latin pop singers, he famously put the genre on the world stage, covering the way for other popular Latin singers, such as Shakira, Enrique Iglesias, and Jennifer Lopez. In addition to Spanish, he also wrote English-language albums that increased his fame. His best-selling albums include ‘A Medio Vivir,’ ‘Sound Loaded,’ ‘Vuelve,’ ‘Me Amaras,’ ‘La Historia,’ and ‘Musica + Alma + S*xo.’ He is recognized for selling over 85 million albums across the world. He has also played in concerts all over the world.
Ricky Martin Wiki/Bio[table id=1824 /]
Enrique Martin Morales was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico. His father was a doctor, and he was raised in a Roman Catholic family beside four brothers and one sister. Enrique’s parents separated when he was just two years old.
His love for singing started at an early age, and by the age of six, he was singing along to his favorite pop songs – both Latin and English. Enrique’s grandmother was a writer, and he was encouraged by her to begin writing his own songs.
In 2008, Ricky Martin fathered twin boys via a surrogate mother. Although Ricky Martin was in a relationship with Mexican TV host Rebecca de Alba for over a decade, he publically came out as gay in 2010.
He later explained that he is interested in both men and women, but only requires to have romantic relationships with men. After dating Jwan Yosef in 2016, the couple married and later had two children together.
Ricky Martin Net Worth
Ricky Martin has a net worth of $130 million dollars.[table id=1825 /]
In November 2016, Ricky plunked down $13.5 million for a home in Beverly Hills, California. At the same time, he posted a New York City apartment that he bought in 2012 for $6 million, for $8.4 million. He beforehand owned a home in Beverly Hills which he traded in 2006 for $15 million and a separate NYC condo which he traded in 2015 for $7.55 million.
He also owns a villa in Madrid, a private island off the coast of Rio de Janeiro, and a huge property in his home country of Puerto Rico.
Ricky Martin Movies, TV Shows, Songs – Career
- He was elected to be a part of the Latin boy-band ‘Menudo’ in 1984. He gave his first appearance a month later at the ‘Luis A. Ferre Performing Arts Center,’ San Juan.
- He toured around the world as the band’s lead singer for the next five years, playing in various languages.
- In 1989 at the age of 17, he dropped the group after recording 11 albums and turned to Puerto Rico to complete his high school. He then entered at ‘Tisch School of the Arts’ in ‘New York University,’ New York City, to study acting and singing.
- He dropped out of college and went to Mexico to play onstage in ‘Mama Ama el Rock.’
- He also acted in a Mexican telenovela titled ‘Alcanzar una Estrella.’
- He issued his debut solo Spanish-language album ‘Ricky Martin’ in 1991 under ‘Sony Discos.’ The album became a success and featured on Latin charts. This was accompanied by his second solo album ‘Me Amaras’ in 1993.
- He debuted on American TV with the NBC sitcom ‘Getting By’ in 1994.
- Later, he acted in ABC’s soap opera ‘General Hospital’ in 1995.
- In 1996, he made an emergence in the Broadway production of ‘Les Miserables.’
- His third album ‘A Medio Vivir’ came out in 1995 and became a turning point in his career as it marketed over three million copies worldwide.
- Two years later, he lent his voice to the Spanish version of Disney’s animated movie ‘Hercules.’
- In 1998, he recorded his fourth album ‘Vuelve’ which topped at No. 1 on ‘Billboard Top Latin Albums.’ It also became his first album to arrive in the top 40 of ‘US Billboard 200.’
- He started his first English-language album ‘Ricky Martin’ in 1999, which debuted at No. 1 on the ‘Billboard 200’ chart. The album was declared ‘the most successful by a Hispanic artist.’
- In 2000, he set the child advocacy organization ‘Ricky Martin Foundation’ to promote children’s well-being and fight versus child exploitation and trafficking.
- In 2001, he delivered his album ‘La Historia,’ a compilation of his biggest Spanish-language hits.
- Two years later, he recorded a new Spanish album titled ‘Almas del Silencio’ which introduced chart-topping singles, such as ‘Tal Vez,’ ‘Jaleo,’ and ‘Y Todo Queda en Nada.’
- His 2005 album ‘Life’ sealed his return to English-language pop. The album confirmed to be more successful in French-speaking nations, particularly France.
- He toured around the globe for his ‘One Night Only with Ricky Martin’ tour in 2006, working in Latin America, United States, Europe, and Africa.
- Meanwhile, he also played at the closing ceremony of the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy.
- He recorded his blockbuster ‘MTV Unplugged’ concert in 2006, which released on both CD and DVD formats.
- He began on a worldwide ‘Black and White Tour’ in 2007.
- In 2008, he delivered another compilation album titled ‘17.’
- In 2011, he delivered ‘17: Greatest Hits’ in the UK.
- In 2013, he delivered ‘Greatest Hits: Souvenir Edition’ in Australia.
- Meanwhile, in 2010, he issued his autobiography ‘Me’ which was included in the Bestseller list of ‘The New York Times.’
- He published his chart-topping album ‘Musica + Alma + S*xo’ in 2011, which peaked at No. 1 on ‘Billboard Top Latin Albums.’
- He made a special character in an episode of Fox’s TV show ‘Glee’ in 2012. His 2013 English album ‘Come with Me’ was followed by ‘Ricky Martin Live’ concert tour.
- He released his first children’s book ‘Santiago the Dreamer in Land Among the Stars’ in 2013.
- In 2014, he embarked on the ‘Mexican One World Tour.’ He ended the tour after playing at the opening ceremony of the 22nd ‘Central American Caribbean Games.’
- He released his Spanish language album ‘A Quien Quiera Escuchar’ in 2015. The album topped the ‘Billboard Best Latin Pop Albums.’ The album was celebrated and earned him various awards and nominations.
- In 2016, the song ‘Vente Pa’ Ca,’ in collaboration with Colombian singer Maluma, gained international attention and performed well in music charts all over the world.
- He then held a residency show in Las Vegas in 2017.
- His depiction of ‘Antonio D’Amico,’ partner of fashion designer Gianni Versace, in an episode of the American TV series ‘American Crime Story’ in 2018 made him his first ‘Primetime Emmy Award’ nomination for ‘Outstanding Supporting Actor.’
- In February 2018, Martin delivered his single ‘Fiebre’ from his new musical production.
- On February 7, 2020, the singer started on his world tour, ‘Movimiento Tour.’
- In his first and second audition for the club of the Puerto Rican boy band, Menudo, he was turned down by the officials because he was judged too short. However, they were fascinated with his singing and dancing skills.
- In 1984, at the age of 13, he finally became a member of the boy band Menudo after he grabbed the executives with his tenacity and never say die attitude.
- While serving with Menudo, he found their busy schedule consuming and would later reveal that it cost him his childhood. During a tour of Brazil, he even admitted leaving the group but he was afraid of backlash and breaching contract, so decided to stay.
- He was chosen for his role in Mexican telenovela Alcanzar una Estrella after the show producer noticed his acting skills while he was performing onstage in a play, Mama Ama el Rock.
- Martin was so eager to start his solo singing career that he signed a deal with Sony Discos without reading the contract, which had a clause that dictated he would get only a cent for every album, he sold.
- In 1999, he opened his restaurant, Casa Salsa on Miami Beach. However, it was closed later due to unspecified reasons.
- He has set the Ricky Martin Foundation, which has been lauded for their work in supporting children, who have suffered due to child pornography and prostitution.
- The Ricky Martin Foundation has treated summer camps for underprivileged children. They have also donated musical equipment worth more than a million dollars to public schools in Puerto Rico.
- He has operated in collaboration with Tsunami Relief Fund and Habitat for Humanity to build homes in Thailand after the destruction due to the 2004 tsunami.
- In recognition of his humanitarian activism, he has been honored with the Leadership in the Arts Award, International Humanitarian Award, and Billboard’s Spirit of Hope Award.
- Martin has been placed on #42 on the list of “100 S*xiest Artists” by the VH1 channel.
- In 1999, the People magazine included him on the list of “50 Most Beautiful People in the World”.
- In November 2011, he was granted Spanish nationality to honor his achievements as an artist. The nationality was also given in honor of his Spanish roots. His grandmother was Spanish.
Ricky Martin began appearing in commercials at age six. He was a member of the teen singing group Menudo until he turned 18. After finishing high school, he appeared on stage and television while also pursuing his solo music career. He continues to make music in both Spanish and English today.
Martin shared a photo on the famous social network in which he seems to cover his head with a hood, accompanied by the message Flu. In this post, he explained that he suffers from the dangerous evil of influenza, a disease that affects the respiratory tract and endangers the life of Adamari López.
The singer and his husband Jwan Yosef let the world know they had adopted a baby girl on New Year’s Eve with another cute Instagram moment. “We are beyond happy to announce that we have become parents to a beautiful and healthy baby girl, Lucia Martin-Yosef,” Ricky shared with his followers.
4 with husband Jwan Yosef: ‘Our baby boy is here’ Ricky Martin is livin’ la Vida Loca as a new father of four! The Latin music singer announced the arrival of his son with husband Jwan Yosef on Instagram Tuesday with a sweet picture of the beaming parents holding their baby boy.
Fortunately for him and his husband of three years, artist Jwan Yosef, this dream is about to become true. The couple has just revealed that they are expecting their fourth kid, joining their 11-year old twins, Matteo and Valentino, and the 9-month-old daughter, Lucia.