Raghubir Yadav is a Hindi cinema actor, music composer, vocalist, and set designer from India. He made his cinematic debut as the titular character in Massey Sahib (1985).
For his performance in Massey Sahib, he received two international awards: the FIPRESCI Critic’s Award at the Venice Film Festival in 1986 and the IFFI Best Actor Award (Male): Silver Peacock Award at the 11th International Film Festival of India in 1987. Until 1977, the film also featured a writer and social activist at the National School of Drama in New Delhi.
[table id=5586 /]
Yadav has appeared as an actor and vocalist in over 70 plays and over 2500 shows with the Parsi Theatre Company, traveling in caravans, living in tents, and singing on improvised stages in villages, towns, and cities across India (1967–1973).
He performed with glove puppets in the Rangoli Puppet Theatre in Lucknow (1973-1974). Raghubir performed in almost 2000 acts at the National School of Drama Repertory (1977-1986). He also helped with the music, staging, costumes, and masks.
In the decades that followed, he appeared in a number of landmark films. Three of his films (Salaam Bombay!, Water, and Lagaan) have garnered Academy Award nominations for Best Foreign Language Film. Raghubir Yadav is one of just a handful of Indian actors who have earned the Silver Peacock Best Actor Award at the India International Film Festival.
His most well-known performance was as the drug-addicted “Chillum” in Salaam Bombay! (1988). He appeared in Firaaq. In 2011, he starred in the film Dear Friend Hitler, which was inspired by two letters Mahatma Gandhi addressed to Adolf Hitler in 1939, just before World War II, and on Christmas Eve 1940, after the conflict had begun, to both prevent and end the war.
Yadav began his television career as the lead character “Mungerilal” in the 1988 television series Mungerilal Ke Haseen Sapne. (1994-1995) Amaravathi ki Kathayein
Later, he portrayed Haji Nasruddin in the television series Mullah Nasruddin (also written Mulla Nasiruddin) as the lead in Chacha Chaudhary. He has performed the lead part in Arjun Pandit on BI T.V.
Maya Memsaab, Massey Sahib, Rudaali, Aasmaan Se Gira, O Darling Yeh Hai India, Samar, Sunday, Darna Mana hai, Ramaji London Waale, Billu, and Dilli 6 are among the films in which he wrote and sung. He performed Chacha Chaudhary’s title tune. He performed “Mehngai Dayain” with bhadwai village mandli in Amir Khan’s Peepli Live, for which he was afterwards lauded by many in the Indian cinema profession and the general public.
Raghubir sang and voiced commercials for Pepsi, Parle, Vim, Kotak Mahindra, Icy Cool Mint, Coke, Midday, Bagh Bakari Chai, Crack cream, Maggie Mania, Britannia, and other brands. He also sang and created the popular MP tourist advertisement ‘MP Ajab hai, sabse gajab hai.’
Raghubir wrote music for Ghasiram Kotwal, Chotte Sayeed Bade Sayeed, Chaupra Kamaal Naukar Jamal, and Chacha Chaudhary, as well as ballets for the song and theatre divisions. Ramlila created and sang “Maggie Mania,” which he imagined, wrote, and composed for Dilli 6.
He recently sang ‘Lamh Tera’ alongside Hitesh Sonik in the second episode of Coke Studio @ MTV Season 2. The show aired on MTV India on July 14, and this song was the fifth and last song to be shown. The song is a Madhya Pradesh folk tune. It used to take days to get from one location to another in ancient times. People would generally sing to assure everyone’s safety while travelling.
His net worth is around INR 1-2 Crores as of 2023. His significant income source is from being a professional actor.
[table id=5587 /]
[table id=5588 /]
- Silver Peacock for the Best Actor Award (Male): Massey Sahib at the 11th International Film Festival of India (1987).
- FIPRESCI Critic’s Award, Venice for Best Actor: Massey Sahib (1986).
- Best Supporting Actor (Male) (Comedy Series) at 2020 Filmfare OTT Awards for Panchayat.
- Raghubir Yadav is a multi-talented celebrity who is not only an actor but also a music composer, singer, and stage performer.
- The actor has been in several films, but one of his most well-known is his debut picture, “Massey Sahib,” which was released in 1985.
- Aside from acting and his other career, the most gifted celebrity has another talent: he enjoys playing the flute.
- Raghubir Yadav looks up to Bollywood legends Dilip Kumar and Balraj Sahni. Among films, “The Threshold” is one of the most popular.
- Anna Hazare is his favorite leader, while Arvind Kejriwal is his favorite politician.
- Raghubir Yadav has always had a passion for performing and aspired to be a well-known actor.
- Aside from films and serials, the actor worked at Rangoli Puppet Theatre in Lucknow, India, from 1973 to 1974.
- Raghubir Yadav has appeared in over 70 plays and 2500 performances. Moreover, he has received various accolades and distinctions during his career.
Poornima Yadav is his wife.
He is 66 years old as of 2023.