Nikhil Kamath was born in Shimoga, Karnataka on Friday, September 5, 1987 (age 36 as of 2023). His astrological sign is Virgo. He attended Oxford Senior Secondary School in JP Nagar, Bangalore, but went out after finishing class 10.
Nikhil is a businessman, trader, and investor from India. He is well-known for co-founding ‘Zerodha,’ a financial services firm.
Nikhil Kamath Bio/Wiki
[table id=5575 /]
He was born into a Hindu family of Gaud Saraswat Brahmins. Raghuram Kamath, his father, is a former Canara Bank executive. Revathi Kamath, his mother, is an environmentalist and a Veena player. Nithin Kamath, his elder brother, is a co-founder of Zerodha Company.
Nikhil Kamath Wife
In Florence, Italy, he married Amanda Puravankara, a director of Provident Housing Ltd in Bangalore, on April 18, 2019. The couple split after nearly a year of marriage. He has been dating Manushi Chhillar, the 2017 Miss India, since 2021.
He was least interested in studying while in school since he did not comprehend the applicability of the topics, and the only subject he loved was Math. Nikhil began selling used phones when he was 14 years old, but his mother ordered him to stop. He began working in a contact center at the age of 17 at a salary of Rs. 8000. According to other stories, he even forged a birth certificate because the minimum age requirement for employment was 18 years. He used to work from 4 p.m. to 1 a.m. at the phone center and as a stock trader in the morning. It was the period when he moved out of his parent’s house.
Soon after, he learned how to trade stocks and began managing his father’s funds. He then persuaded his call center manager to let him manage his money, and in exchange, his boss marked him present with more incentives. In 2004, he left the call center and co-founded the stock trading business Kamath Associates with his brother. By nearly four years, the brothers launched ‘Zerodha,’ a trading platform named after the terms ‘Zero’ and ‘Rodha’ (Rodha is a Sanskrit word for barrier).
During the COVID-19 shutdown, Zerodha grew to become India’s largest trading platform, with its user base increasing by 100% month after month. The USP of Zerodha is that a modest price of Rs. 20 is payable for every intraday trade (regardless of size). According to 2021 statistics, Zerodha processes over 5 million orders (worth more than $1 billion) each day, accounting for over 15% of India’s daily stock activity.
On June 13, 2021, he was accused of employing malpractices while competing in Viswanathan Anand’s simultaneous online chess games versus celebrities. Chess.com arranged the event. In the end, Kamath was the only celebrity among the nine to defeat Anand, as the others, including actor Aamir Khan, cricketer Yuzvendra Chahal, and singer Arijit Singh, all lost.
Later, it was discovered that he defeated Anand with the assistance of a computer, and Chess.com suspended his account for “violating the fair play principle.” Kamath later acknowledged utilizing the computer aid and apologized on Twitter.
Nikhil Kamath Net Worth
His net worth is Rs.17,500 crores (as of 2023).
[table id=5576 /]
- His father had transferrable work, thus he traveled a lot as a youngster. Nikhil moved to Bangalore with his family when he was nine years old.
- His professors were dissatisfied with his academic performance and intended to punish him by denying him the opportunity to sit for the 10th board examinations. He then chose to leave school.
- He was a chess champion in school and competed in many state and national chess competitions.
- His relatives and friends refer to him as Nik.
- Nikhil eats non-vegetarian food.
- In his spare time, he enjoys painting and playing the guitar.
- He has two tattoos: one on his left wrist that reads ‘Shalom’ in both English and Hebrew, and the other on his right arm that reads ‘BE HERE NOW.’
- He is frequently seen smoking and consuming booze.
- In 2020, at the age of 34, he became one of India’s youngest billionaires.
- Many business publications and media have covered Nikhil and his brother Nithin’s interview.
- He is a book collector with a collection of over 500 volumes.
- Hope is Nikhil Kamath’s beloved dog.
- According to his interview, his idol is Russian great Garry Kasparov.
Nikhil, who is from Shimoga, Karnataka, attended Oxford Senior Secondary School in Bangalore before dropping out of high school.
Nikhil Kamath is one of India’s most recent billionaires. He founded the brokerage business and trading platform Zerodha. In April 2019, Kamath married Amanda Puravankara.
He lives in Kingfisher Towers, Bangalore.