Phil Collins is an English musician, singer, drummer, and actor, who essentially served solo and was also a member of the legendary rock band ‘Genesis.’ Beginning his career with acting in the mid-60s, he recognized his enthusiasm for music in the 70s. ‘Genesis’ trained out to be a game-changer for Phil. Phil rocked the music charts in the 80s with his solo outings, and he is one of the very few artists who have demonstrated they’re worth in both group and solo music efforts. He became a cultural rage in the 80s and has had more US top 40 singles than any other artist of his time.
Some of his most influential singles from that time are ‘In the Air Tonight,’ ‘One More Night,’ and ‘Another Day in Paradise.’ Having sold about 34 million copies of records, across eight albums, Collins is unquestionably one of the best-selling artists of this generation. During his illustrious career, he has been showered with multiple awards, which include six ‘Brit Awards,’ seven ‘Grammy Awards,’ two ‘Golden Globe Awards,’ and one ‘Academy Award,’ acknowledging his service to the field of music and acting.
Phil Collins Wiki/Bio
|Birth Name||Philip David Charles Collins|
|Age||(as in 2023) 72 Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Aquarius|
|Birth Place||Chiswick, Middlesex, England, United Kingdom|
|Date of Birth||30 January 1951|
|Residence||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Home Town||Chiswick, Middlesex, England, United Kingdom|
|Mother’s Name||Winifred June Collins (née Strange) (Theatrical Agent)|
|Father’s Name||Greville Philip Austin Collins (Insurance Agent)|
|Brother||Clive Collins (Older) (Cartoonist, Illustrator)|
|Sister||Carole (Professional Ice Skater)|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Lavinia Lang|
• Dana Tyler (2006-2016)
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Wife/Spouse||• Orianne Cevey (m. 1999–2008)|
• Jill Tavelman (m. 1984–1996)
• Andrea Bertorelli (m. 1975–1980)
|Marriage Date||Not Available|
|Children||Son- • Nicholas Collins|
• Simon Collins
• Matthew Collins
Daughter- • Lily Collins
• Joely Collins
|School||• Chiswick County School|
• Barbara Speake Stage School
|Educational Qualification||Not Available|
|Profession||Drummer, Singer, Songwriter, Multi-Instrumentalist, Record Producer, Actor, Voiceover Artist|
|Brands Endorsed||Not Available|
|Career Manager||Philip Collins Ltd., Production Company, London, England, United Kingdom|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm|
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet inches- 5’6”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 67 kg|
in pounds- 148 lbs
|Chest Size||40 Inches|
|Biceps Size||12 Inches|
|Waist Size||32 Inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||White|
|Hair Color||Salt and Pepper|
|Dress Size||Not Available|
|Shoe Size||10 US|
|Favorite Guitarist||Eric Clapton|
|Favorite Genesis Album||The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway|
One Of His
|Favorite Bands||The Who|
Phil Collins was born on 30 January 1951 in Chiswick, Middlesex, now part of the London Borough of Hounslow. His father, Greville Philip Austin Collins (1907–1972), was an insurance agent and his mother, Winifred June Collins, served as a theatrical agency. His sister Carole played as a professional ice skater and his older brother Clive is a notorious cartoonist.
Collins was delivered a toy drum kit for Christmas when he was five. His uncle later earned him a makeshift set that he used regularly. As Collins grew older, these were followed by more complete sets bought by his parents. He functioned by performing along to music on the television and radio.
Sally Field Bio, Age, Husband, Children, Net Worth, Movies, TV & Wiki
According to Barbara Speake, founder of the stage school Collins later served, “Phil was always exceptional; aged five he joined a Butlins talent contest singing Davy Crockett, but he finished the orchestra halfway through to tell them they were in the wrong key.”
Collins analyzed drum rudiments as a teenager, first hearing basic rudiments under Lloyd Ryan and later studying further under Frank King. Collins remembered: “Rudiments I noticed very, very valuable – much more helpful than anything else because they’re used all the time. In any kind of fear or jazz drumming, the rudiments are always there.”
He never received to read and write a conventional musical system, and instead used a system he devised himself. He later lamented this, replying: “I nevermore really came to grasps with the music. I should have stabbed with it. I’ve always believed that if I could buzz it, I could operate it. For me, that was good just, but that attitude is bad.”
The Beatles were a significant early impact on Collins, including their drummer Ringo Starr. He also accompanied the lesser-known London band the Action, whose drummer he would copy and whose work carried him to the soul music of Motown and Stax Records.
Collins was also inspired by the jazz and big band drummer Buddy Rich, whose view on the quality of the hi-hat advised him to stop using two bass drums and begin using the hi-hat. While serving Chiswick County School for Boys, Collins made a band called the Real Thing, and later entered the Freehold, with whom he recorded his first song, “Lying Crying Dying”.
Phil Collins Net Worth
Phil Collins has a net worth of $350 million dollars.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||$350 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$300 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||Under Review|
|Annual Salary||Under Review|
|Income Source||Drummer, Singer, Songwriter, Multi-Instrumentalist, Record Producer, Actor, Voiceover Artist|
He has marketed more than 100 million albums worldwide both as a solo artist, as well as a member of the band Genesis. Phil Collins, Michael Jackson, and Paul McCartney are the only three artists in antiquity to sell more than 100 million albums as a solo artist and a member of a group. He has won seven Grammy Awards, two Golden Globes and an Oscar for his performance.
In a traveling year, Collins can earn as much as $50 million. For example, after his” Not Dead Yet Tour” earned $90 million, he made $45 million.
Drew Barrymore Bio, Age, Spouse, Children, Net Worth, Movies & Wiki
Phil Collins Songs And Albums
- Phil started acting as a child, and his mother’s contacts with the talent agencies supported him in getting his initial characters in theatrical productions.
- He performed a few small roles in ‘Calamity the Cow’ and ‘A Hard Day’s Night,’ but somewhere deep down, acting did not please him. Hence, he drifted toward music during his high school days.
- In the mid-70s, the rock band ‘Genesis’ posted an announcement for the requirement of a drummer, and Collins became the band’s new drummer in August 1970, after an audition. For the next five years, Collins traveled with the band and performed drums and impacts in their albums. Their first album, ‘Nursery Cryme,’ released in 1971.
- In the mid-70s, the band’s lead singer left and before the band could rent a suitable singer, Collins filled in as the lead singer, for a while. ‘A Trick of the Tail’ was the first ‘Genesis’ album for which Collins sang. The album became a roaring victory in both the US and the UK. The chart-topping success of the album made ‘Genesis’ rethink the prospect of hiring a vocalist, as they already had Phil.
- In 1978, the band took a break. Meanwhile, Phil tried to keep his personal life in check, but he failed to do so, and his relationship with his wife soured significantly. Meanwhile, he played drums on two albums, namely, ‘Grace and Danger’ and ‘Product.’ Although he was getting hired by many bands for their album productions, Phil was not ready to go solo yet.
- By the 80s, Phil had eventually started working on his debut solo album, titled ‘Face Value.’ At the time, ‘Genesis’ had reunited and had completed their work on the album ‘Duke,’ which was released in 1980. The album experienced a large commercial and critical response.
- His first solo album, ‘Face Value,’ was published in 1981 and highlighted a distinctive style of music, which was more tending towards funk and faster beats. The album became an international success, topping the charts in seven countries.
- His second solo album, ‘Hello I Must Be Going!,’ was released in 1982, and Collins garnered international success again. In 1985, Collins performed his most successful album of all time, titled ‘No Jacket Required,’ which topped the charts in both the US and the UK.
- Many media houses took notice of Phil’s international success and claimed that Phil was more famous and successful as a solo artist. In the late 90s, he released another solo album ‘But Seriously’ which was won well in both the UK and the US.
- Following an increasing demand for more solo works, he left the band ‘Genesis’ in the mid-90s and began focusing on his solo endeavors.
- He set the foundation of the ‘Phil Collins Big Band’ and took over the drums. The scenario improved significantly, when his 1996 solo album, ‘Dance into the Light,’ turned out to be a loser.
- Critics said that his time was over and that his fans were growing tired of his music. His next album, ‘Testify,’ faced the same fate, and some experts and media houses termed it the worst album of his life.
- By the turn of the century, his career was reduced to shambles. However, his past musical milestones had kept his honesty alive, and he received several honors in the 2000s. In 2006, Collins reunited with two former ‘Genesis’ members and embarked on a tour called ‘Turn it on Again: The Tour,’ which was a success.
- In March 2010, Collins was honored with a place in the ‘Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,’ and in 2011, he announced his retirement for a short time. In October 2016, Phil announced his ‘Not Dead Yet Tour.’ The tour was completed successfully, and he experienced positive reviews.
- As an actor, Phil has performed in various films, such as ‘Hook,’ ‘Frauds,’ and ‘Balto,’ apart from featuring in a number of TV series, such as ‘The Two Ronnies’ and ‘Miami Vice.’
- He is honored as “one of the most prosperous pops and adult simultaneous singers of the ’80s and beyond”.
- Alongside Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson, he has been one of the 3 artists who have sold over 100 million records worldwide both as solo artists and individually as principal members of a band.
- In 1999, Phil Collins earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- He has also authored books like The Alamo and Beyond: A Collector’s Journey and Not Dead Yet: The Autobiography.
- Phil Collins has helped People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and also distributed autographed drum sticks supporting the organization’s campaign against Kentucky Fried Chicken.
A Devastating Neck Injury. Phil’s Agonising Health Issues Began In 2007, When He Dislocated Vertebrae In His Neck During A Genesis Reunion Tour. The Injury Caused Nerve Damage In His Hands, Leaving Him Unable To Play The Drums.
The Singer Gave Up Music In 2011 For Medical Reasons, Including His Hearing Health. Collins Found His Hearing Ability Has Diminished Over The Years Of His Career And So He Chose To Walk Away From Performing.
After The Tour For We Can’t Dance (1991), Collins Left Genesis In 1996 To Focus On His Solo Career. Banks And Rutherford Recruited Ray Wilson For Calling All Stations (1997), But A Lack Of Success In The Us Led To A Group Hiatus.
Genesis, Brand X, Band-Aid, Flaming Youth, The Phil Collins Big Band.