Mesut Ozil is a renowned German footballer who shot to fame when he was chosen as a nominee for the Golden Ball Award at the FIFA World Cup 2010. Moreover, Mesut was lauded and praised for playing an important role in Germany’s win over Argentina that confirmed their title of world champions. Currently, Ozil plays football for Arsenal in England, an English football club. He has been with the German national team since 2009. As a member of the team representing the team of ‘Schalke’, his native club, in the national league, his professional career began to take shape. Following his spectacular performance at the FIFA World Cup 2010 held in South Africa, he was drafted by Real Madrid to represent the club in club championships. A staggering £42.5 million transfer fee, however, later brought him to Arsenal. Mesut plays as a midfielder and is noted for his aggressive style of play. Numerous footballers and coaches have compared him to the legendary French footballer Zinedine Zidane.
Mesut Ozil Wiki/Bio
|Birth Name||Mesut Özil|
|Nick Name||• El Búho|
• The Multi-Kulti Kicker
|Age||33 (as in 2021) Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Libra|
|Birth Place||Gelsenkirchen, West Germany|
|Date of Birth||15th October 1988|
|Residence||West London, England|
|Home Town||London, England|
|Hobbies||Playing Chess, Playing Video Games|
|Mother's Name||Gulizar Özil|
|Father's Name||Mustafa Özil|
|Brothers||Mutlu Özil (Manager of Mesut Özil)|
|Sisters||• Dugyu Özil|
• Nese Özil
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Anna Maria Lagerblom (2009-2010) - Mesut began dating the beautiful German model Anna Maria Lagerblom in May 2009. The couple went on vacation together after the season ended. The whole world sat up and took notice of Ozil's potential during this year's World Cup, where Anna was in constant attendance. The young star moved to Spanish giants Real Madrid after the world cup, and it was there that the relationship deteriorated. Rumor has it that Anna found it difficult to settle down in Madrid, so they ended their relationship in September 2010 and she returned to Germany.|
• Aida Yespica (2012-2013) - Aida Yespica played a crucial role in the mudslinging showdown between Real Madrid and the son's father when he moved to Arsenal. In its associated newspapers, the club alleged Mesut had a mad lust for Aida and flew every week to meet her wherever she was in Europe. Mesut's performance on the field was alleged to have been affected by this. Representatives of Mesut deny that Aida's relationship influenced his performance.
• Mandy Capristo (2013-2014 and 2015-2017) - Mesut and Mandy Capristo are being hailed as Germany's answer to England's Posh and Beck. After Mesut transferred to Arsenal, German singer and model Capristo became romantically involved with him and moved to London with him. In October 2014, their relationship ended amid rumors that the German player had cheated on his girlfriend. Their fans were delighted when they reunited almost one year after they separated. In November 2015, they walked the Bambi Awards red carpet together and made their relationship public; however, they parted ways by year's end.
• Melanie Rickinger (2014) - It was rumored that the Arsenal star's affair with Melanie Rickinger ended his relationship with Capristo. Former Bayern Munich player Christian Lell accused Mesut of being in a relationship with his girlfriend. The German newspaper Bild even published screenshots of steamy Whatsapp messages between Mesut and Rickinger.
• Amine Gülşe (2017-Present) - Mesut started dating Miss Turkey 2014, Amine Gülşe in 2017 and got married in June of 2019.
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Marriage Date||7 June 2019|
|Children||Daughters- Eda Özil|
|School||Berger-Feld, Gelsenkirchen, Germany|
|Educational Qualification||Not Available|
|Brands Endorsed||Mesut Ozil has a huge fan following amongst his fans, which has helped him pocket lucrative and prestigious endorsement deals. In 2013, he signed a seven-year sponsorship deal worth $35 million with Adidas. In June 2016, he inked a multi-million deal with German car company, Mercedes.|
|Career Manager||He was earlier represented by his father Mustafa. However, he had a dispute with him, when he divorced his mother. He eventually, hired his brother Mutlu Özil as his agent.|
|International Debut||On 11 February 2009 for Germany against Norway|
|Club Debut||On 12 August 2006 for FC Schalke 04 against Eintracht Frankfurt|
|Current Team(s)||Fenerbahçe national team|
|Jersey Number||• 10 (Germany)|
• 11 (Arsenal)
|Coach/Mentor||Mutlu Ozil (Manager, His brother)|
|Records (main ones)||• Mesut Özil dazzled the world in FIFA World Cup 2010 when he was nominated for "The Golden Ball" Award, which is given to the best player of the tournament.|
• In 2010-11 Özil ranked first in assists in major European and domestic competitions with 25.
• In 2011-12, he ranked first in assists in La Liga with 17.
• In the 2010 FIFA World Cup and in the 2012 UEFA Euro 2012, he was the joint highest assist provider with three in each tournament.
|Awards/ Achievements||• Mesut was part of the 11-member Werder Bremen squad that won the 2008-09 DFB-Pokal silverware. He played for Real Madrid in the finals of 2011-12 La Liga, 2010-11 Copa del Rey, and 2012 Supercopa de Espana which Spanish club won.|
• Ozil was also instrumental in helping Arsenal lift the FA Cup twice in a row; in 2013-14 and 2014-15 and again in 2016-17.
• Mesut has won numerous awards and also has been nominated for several honors. He bagged the ‘German Player of the Year Award’ three times in a row, in 2011, 2012, 2013, and successively in 2015 and 2016. He was nominated for the 2010 FIFA World Cup Golden Ball Award.
• Through balls
• Speed of thought
• Ball control
• Ability to read game
|Weaknesses||• Defensive Contribution|
• Long Distance Shots
|Career Turning Point||In the FIFA World Cup 2010, he was the highest assists provider and he was nominated for The Golden Ball.|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 183cm|
in meters- 1.83 m
in Feet Inches- 6’ 0”
|Weight (Approx.)||in Kilograms- 76 kg|
in Pounds- 170 lbs
|Chest Size||42 inches|
|Biceps Size||13 inches|
|Waist Size||33 inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Turkish|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
|Eye Color||Light Brown|
|Dress Size||Not Available|
|Shoe Size||Not Available|
|Favourite Playing Position||Attacking Mid-fielder|
|Favourite Football Player||Cristiano Ronaldo|
|Favourite Food(s)||Melemen (Turkish dish), it is made of scrambled eggs, tomatoes and Turkish garlic sausage.|
|Favourite Car||Mercedes G-Class|
|Favourite Music||Turkish Pop|
|Favourite Singer||Kanye West|
|Controversies||Özil did claim Arsenal mismanaged their title bid with the Gunners 11 points off the top. This caused trouble for Arsene Wenger, manager of Arsenal.|
Mesut Ozil was born in Gelsenkirchen, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, on 15 October 1988. He played for some local clubs in Gelsenkirchen as a youngster, and he later moved to Rot-Weiss-Essen, a DFB football club based in Essen who he represented for five years.
Mesut Ozil is a German Turk and a Muslim. Mesut started dating a famous German singer named Mandy Capristo in 2013. The couple dated for just one year before they split, with rumors spreading that Ozil had been unfaithful.
In 2017, they finally broke up after getting back together several times. After this, Ozil began dating Amine Gulse, a model who had previously been named Miss Turkey. Marriage for the couple took place in 2019, and in 2020 they welcomed a child into this world. In honor of the occasion, the couple funded 1,000 surgeries for underprivileged children.
Mesut Ozil Net Worth
Mesut Ozil has a net worth of $120 million.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2020 (Approx)||$120 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2019(Approx)||$102 Million|
|Annual Salary||$24 Million|
|Income Source||Professional Footballer|
|Cars Collection||• Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG|
• Mercedes S65 AMG
• Ferrari 458 Italia
• Ferrari SLS AMG
• Porsche Panamera Turbo
• Several Audis
Mesut joined Arsenal for 42.5 million pounds in 2013. Then, in 2017, he signed a three-year contract extension with the team, which doubled his annual salary from $12 million to $24 million. He’s among the top 10 highest-paid soccer players in the world with that pay. Later, he famously refused to take a pay cut as an Arsenal player – a move that infuriated fans.
Mesut completed the purchase of a property in North London worth 10 million pounds in 2016. It was at a time when Ozil’s future at Arsenal was in doubt, and the media interpreted the purchase of this residence as proof of his commitment to the club. A number of renovations were made to the three-story, six-bedroom house after Mesut acquired it. He imported marble His living room was decorated with artwork from Turkey, and he created a home theater in which to play hours of FIFA video games.
A soccer team and a Fortnite team belong to Mesut, one playing in the EA Sports league and the other in the Fortnite league.
In addition to cars, Ozil owns a fleet of about 800,000 pounds worth. He is said to prefer German automobile manufacturers, and his most prized vehicle is a 140,000-pound Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG. Other Mercedes cars in his collection include an S65 AMG worth over 180,000 pounds. His collection is rounded out by vehicles such as the Ferrari 458 Italia (worth 200,000 pounds), the SLS AMG (worth 165,000 pounds), the Porsche Panamera Turbo (worth 120,000 pounds), and some Audis.
- The Schalke 04 youth academy accepted Ozil in the year 2005. He played as an attacking midfielder for FC Schalke 04 and wore the number 17 jersey. Schalke 04 made a lucrative offer to him in 2008, but he declined it, claiming it was less than peanuts, and eventually ended up at Werder Bremen.
- A German Football Association club based in Bremen, Northwest Germany, agreed to pay Mesut the steep fees he demanded. During his contract, he pledged to play for the club for three years. As a member of Werder Bremen, he wore jersey no. 11.
- Ozil scored his first goal against Karlsruher SC in a Bundesliga match on 26 April 2008, helping Werder Bremen to a 2-1 victory. The following year, he scored the only goal against Bayer Leverkusen, helping his team qualify for the DFB-Pokal.
- During the 2009-2010 season, he had a significant impact on Werder Bremen as an influential playmaker who set up numerous goals. While playing for Schalke 04, the club where he began his professional career, he scored his 100th Bundesliga goal.
- With Ozil’s contribution to Werder Bremen’s success in the DFB-Pokal finals in 2010, the team reached the finals. It was, however, Bayern Munich who proved too strong for Werder Bremen as the latter lost by a score of 4 goals to nil.
- During the 2010 FIFA World Cup, Ozil made a strong impression as part of the German national squad. His scintillating display caught the attention of the managers and coaches of some of Europe’s most sought-after football clubs, including Manchester United, Real Madrid, Arsenal, and Barcelona.
- The deal to sign Mesut Ozil from Werder Bremen worth an estimated €15 million was completed on August 22, 2010. Real Madrid won convincingly against Hercules in his debut for the club. In his debut for Real Madrid, Ozil drew with Mallorca in La Liga.
- He also assisted Gonzalo Higuain, who scored the goal which gave the illustrious Spanish club their first Champions League win, against Ajax on 15 September 2010. Throughout the season, he had 25 assists to his credit, more than any other player in the major European club competitions.
- Mesut started taking the field by sporting jersey number 10 for Real Madrid for the entire 2011-12 season, clearly indicating club manager Jose Mourinho’s intentions to tap his playmaking skills. His debut goal in this season was scored against Barcelona in the 1st round of the two-legged 2011 Supercopa de Espana.
- It was Ozil’s 17 assists in the 2011-12 season that saw him placed at the top of the assists chart of La Liga. Real Madrid won the La Liga title for the 32nd time, and Mesut played a crucial role in it.
- Due to his excellent performance as a playmaker for both Real Madrid and Germany, Mesil was shortlisted for the ‘FIFA Ballon d’Or Award’ as well as nominated for the ‘UEFA Best Player in Europe Award’.
- During the 2012-13 season, Mesut once again displayed his playmaking abilities on several occasions, especially by assisting teammate Christian Ronaldo to score goals. The Spanish club managed to only win the trophy in the ongoing season, Ozil’s 26 assists notwithstanding.
- Mezut Ozil was the most expensive German footballer of all time following his highly successful 3-year spell at Real Madrid. Upon loaning him to Arsenal for a fee of £42.5 million, he became the most expensive player in the history of German football. The number 11 jersey belonged to him while playing for Arsenal as a center-forward.
- Arsenal’s first match as a team after Ozil joined was a 3-1 win over Sunderland where Ozil assisted Olivier Giroud on a goal. During the Champions League match which Arsenal won, he scored his first goal for ‘The Gunners’ against Napoli.
- In his first season at Arsenal, Mesut played 40 matches and contributed seven goals and 13 assists. Among the players who voted for UEFA Team of the Year, Ozil once again emerged as a strong candidate for the FIFA Ballon d’Or Award.
- Mesut Ozil played a crucial role in Germany’s victory at the 2014 FIFA World Cup. In the round of 16, he scored the winning goal against Algeria and provided an assist for Sami Khedira during Germany’s 7–1 semi-final victory over Brazil.
- Against Argentina in the 2014 FIFA World Cup final, he played 120 minutes before being replaced by Per Mertesacker. A 1-0 victory was ultimately achieved by Germany.
- As a player for Arsenal during the 2014-15 season, Ozil scored five goals and assisted seven. Despite Arsenal’s crushing defeat in the 2015 FA Cup final against Aston Villa, he put up a good performance.
- During the 2015-16 Season, Mesut scored his first goal against Manchester United to lead Arsenal to a 3-0 win. The Premiership’s ‘Arsenal Player of the Season’ award was awarded to him for his performance in his third season with Arsenal.
Facts About Mesut Ozil
- Does Mesut Ozil smoke?: No.
- Does Mesut Ozil drink alcohol?: Yes.
- Despite being born and raised in Germany, his parents are originally from Turkey, who later migrated to Germany.
- Mesut is a devout Muslim who recites lines from the holy Quran before every match. Ramadan is also a holy month for him during which he observes fasting.
- As is customary for practicing Muslims, he performed the Umrah pilgrimage to Mecca in May 2016.
- During his time at the school, he was shy.
- Mesut’s partial boarding education institute is well known for having famous soccer players among its students, including Julian Draxler, Manuel Neuer, Alexander Baumjohann, Benedikt HOwedes, and Joël Matip.
- The Golden Ball Award, given to the tournament’s best player, was nominated for him due to his excellent performances at the 2010 World Cup.
- Then Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho compared his style of play to that of French legend Zinedine Zidane.
- While participating in the 2010 World Cup and 2012 UEFA Euro, he had the joint highest number of assists. In each tournament, he scored three goals.
- Because of his opportunistic and clever style of play, der Rabe (which translates to The Raven in English) has this sarcastic name.
- When playing for Real Madrid in the 2010-2011 season, he had the highest number of assists in Europe and domestic competitions.
- Since Mesut’s debut for the German national team in February 2009, no other player has assisted more times. To date in 2016, he has assisted 35 times.
- Symbolizing Turkish integration into German society, he received the Bambi award in 2010. Among the most famous Germans of foreign descent, he is Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
- Besides Turkish, German, Spanish, and English, Mesut speaks four other languages, including Turkish, German, and Spanish. It’s common for him to post in all four official languages on his social media accounts.
- To avoid trouble, he always puts his right foot on the ground first before stepping onto the pitch because of his pre-match superstition.
- In his shoes, he ties knots in the laces. The ball could have slipped off his instep otherwise, which is why he believes this helps him with his incredible ball control.
- Childhood games, which he played in a cage-like playground with older boys, taught him how to play in crowded areas.
- As of February 2016, he has missed all his penalties for Arsenal, including one against Bayern Munich in the Champions League and another against French club Marseille in the same competition.
- In 2014, he donated his 2014 World Cup earnings, which were about £240,000, to provide free medical treatment for 23 Brazilian children. To show his appreciation for the Brazilian people’s hospitality, he gave the gift.
- Including three successive titles from 2011 to 2013 and one in 2015, he has been named German player of the year four times.
- He has won DFB Pokal, La Liga, Copa del Rey, and the English FA cup (multiple times) at club level.
What is the age of Mesut Ozil?
How many assists Ozil has in his career?
- Appearances: 184
- Goals: 33
- Assists: 54
Where is Mesut Ozil originally from?
Is Mesut Özil drink alcohol?
Is Mesut Özil Turkish?
Mesut Ozil, the German-Turkish footballer, quickly made headlines in the German press again. A 33-year-old midfielder walked away from Germany’s national soccer team in 2018, citing racism both within the team and throughout German society.
Why is Mesut Özil not playing?
The global COVID pandemic followed shortly thereafter. The £350,000-a-week Ozil was one of the only players to refuse the club’s 12.5% pay-cut while the hierarchy pointed out the financial implications of the crisis. After that, he didn’t play anymore.