Mesut Ozil is a renowned German footballer who shot to fame when he was chosen as a nominee for the Golden Ball Award at the FIFA World Cup 2010. Moreover, Mesut was lauded and praised for playing an important role in Germany’s win over Argentina that confirmed their title of world champions. Currently, Ozil plays football for Arsenal in England, an English football club. He has been with the German national team since 2009.
As a member of the team representing the team of ‘Schalke’, his native club, in the national league, his professional career began to take shape. Following his spectacular performance at the FIFA World Cup 2010 held in South Africa, he was drafted by Real Madrid to represent the club in club championships. A staggering £42.5 million transfer fee, however, later brought him to Arsenal. Mesut plays as a midfielder and is noted for his aggressive style of play. Numerous footballers and coaches have compared him to the legendary French footballer Zinedine Zidane.
Mesut Ozil Wiki/Bio[table id=2585 /]
Mesut Ozil was born in Gelsenkirchen, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, on 15 October 1988. He played for some local clubs in Gelsenkirchen as a youngster, and he later moved to Rot-Weiss-Essen, a DFB football club based in Essen who he represented for five years.
Mesut Ozil is a German Turk and a Muslim. Mesut started dating a famous German singer named Mandy Capristo in 2013. The couple dated for just one year before they split, with rumors spreading that Ozil had been unfaithful.
In 2017, they finally broke up after getting back together several times. After this, Ozil began dating Amine Gulse, a model who had previously been named Miss Turkey. Marriage for the couple took place in 2019, and in 2020 they welcomed a child into this world. In honor of the occasion, the couple funded 1,000 surgeries for underprivileged children.
Mesut Ozil Net Worth
Mesut Ozil has a net worth of $130 million.[table id=2586 /]
Mesut joined Arsenal for 42.5 million pounds in 2013. Then, in 2017, he signed a three-year contract extension with the team, which doubled his annual salary from $12 million to $24 million. He’s among the top 10 highest-paid soccer players in the world with that pay. Later, he famously refused to take a pay cut as an Arsenal player – a move that infuriated fans.
Mesut completed the purchase of a property in North London worth 10 million pounds in 2016. It was at a time when Ozil’s future at Arsenal was in doubt, and the media interpreted the purchase of this residence as proof of his commitment to the club. A number of renovations were made to the three-story, six-bedroom house after Mesut acquired it. He imported marble His living room was decorated with artwork from Turkey, and he created a home theater in which to play hours of FIFA video games.
A soccer team and a Fortnite team belong to Mesut, one playing in the EA Sports league and the other in the Fortnite league.
In addition to cars, Ozil owns a fleet of about 800,000 pounds worth. He is said to prefer German automobile manufacturers, and his most prized vehicle is a 140,000-pound Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG. Other Mercedes cars in his collection include an S65 AMG worth over 180,000 pounds. His collection is rounded out by vehicles such as the Ferrari 458 Italia (worth 200,000 pounds), the SLS AMG (worth 165,000 pounds), the Porsche Panamera Turbo (worth 120,000 pounds), and some Audis.
- The Schalke 04 youth academy accepted Ozil in the year 2005. He played as an attacking midfielder for FC Schalke 04 and wore the number 17 jersey. Schalke 04 made a lucrative offer to him in 2008, but he declined it, claiming it was less than peanuts, and eventually ended up at Werder Bremen.
- A German Football Association club based in Bremen, Northwest Germany, agreed to pay Mesut the steep fees he demanded. During his contract, he pledged to play for the club for three years. As a member of Werder Bremen, he wore jersey no. 11.
- Ozil scored his first goal against Karlsruher SC in a Bundesliga match on 26 April 2008, helping Werder Bremen to a 2-1 victory. The following year, he scored the only goal against Bayer Leverkusen, helping his team qualify for the DFB-Pokal.
- During the 2009-2010 season, he had a significant impact on Werder Bremen as an influential playmaker who set up numerous goals. While playing for Schalke 04, the club where he began his professional career, he scored his 100th Bundesliga goal.
- With Ozil’s contribution to Werder Bremen’s success in the DFB-Pokal finals in 2010, the team reached the finals. It was, however, Bayern Munich who proved too strong for Werder Bremen as the latter lost by a score of 4 goals to nil.
- During the 2010 FIFA World Cup, Ozil made a strong impression as part of the German national squad. His scintillating display caught the attention of the managers and coaches of some of Europe’s most sought-after football clubs, including Manchester United, Real Madrid, Arsenal, and Barcelona.
- The deal to sign Mesut Ozil from Werder Bremen worth an estimated €15 million was completed on August 22, 2010. Real Madrid won convincingly against Hercules in his debut for the club. In his debut for Real Madrid, Ozil drew with Mallorca in La Liga.
- He also assisted Gonzalo Higuain, who scored the goal which gave the illustrious Spanish club their first Champions League win, against Ajax on 15 September 2010. Throughout the season, he had 25 assists to his credit, more than any other player in the major European club competitions.
- Mesut started taking the field by sporting jersey number 10 for Real Madrid for the entire 2011-12 season, clearly indicating club manager Jose Mourinho’s intentions to tap his playmaking skills. His debut goal in this season was scored against Barcelona in the 1st round of the two-legged 2011 Supercopa de Espana.
- It was Ozil’s 17 assists in the 2011-12 season that saw him placed at the top of the assists chart of La Liga. Real Madrid won the La Liga title for the 32nd time, and Mesut played a crucial role in it.
- Due to his excellent performance as a playmaker for both Real Madrid and Germany, Mesil was shortlisted for the ‘FIFA Ballon d’Or Award’ as well as nominated for the ‘UEFA Best Player in Europe Award’.
- During the 2012-13 season, Mesut once again displayed his playmaking abilities on several occasions, especially by assisting teammate Christian Ronaldo to score goals. The Spanish club managed to only win the trophy in the ongoing season, Ozil’s 26 assists notwithstanding.
- Mezut Ozil was the most expensive German footballer of all time following his highly successful 3-year spell at Real Madrid. Upon loaning him to Arsenal for a fee of £42.5 million, he became the most expensive player in the history of German football. The number 11 jersey belonged to him while playing for Arsenal as a center-forward.
- Arsenal’s first match as a team after Ozil joined was a 3-1 win over Sunderland where Ozil assisted Olivier Giroud on a goal. During the Champions League match which Arsenal won, he scored his first goal for ‘The Gunners’ against Napoli.
- In his first season at Arsenal, Mesut played 40 matches and contributed seven goals and 13 assists. Among the players who voted for UEFA Team of the Year, Ozil once again emerged as a strong candidate for the FIFA Ballon d’Or Award.
- Mesut Ozil played a crucial role in Germany’s victory at the 2014 FIFA World Cup. In the round of 16, he scored the winning goal against Algeria and provided an assist for Sami Khedira during Germany’s 7–1 semi-final victory over Brazil.
- Against Argentina in the 2014 FIFA World Cup final, he played 120 minutes before being replaced by Per Mertesacker. A 1-0 victory was ultimately achieved by Germany.
- As a player for Arsenal during the 2014-15 season, Ozil scored five goals and assisted seven. Despite Arsenal’s crushing defeat in the 2015 FA Cup final against Aston Villa, he put up a good performance.
- During the 2015-16 Season, Mesut scored his first goal against Manchester United to lead Arsenal to a 3-0 win. The Premiership’s ‘Arsenal Player of the Season’ award was awarded to him for his performance in his third season with Arsenal.
Facts About Mesut Ozil
- Does Mesut Ozil smoke?: No.
- Does Mesut Ozil drink alcohol?: Yes.
- Despite being born and raised in Germany, his parents are originally from Turkey, who later migrated to Germany.
- Mesut is a devout Muslim who recites lines from the holy Quran before every match. Ramadan is also a holy month for him during which he observes fasting.
- As is customary for practicing Muslims, he performed the Umrah pilgrimage to Mecca in May 2016.
- During his time at the school, he was shy.
- Mesut’s partial boarding education institute is well known for having famous soccer players among its students, including Julian Draxler, Manuel Neuer, Alexander Baumjohann, Benedikt HOwedes, and Joël Matip.
- The Golden Ball Award, given to the tournament’s best player, was nominated for him due to his excellent performances at the 2010 World Cup.
- Then Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho compared his style of play to that of French legend Zinedine Zidane.
- While participating in the 2010 World Cup and 2012 UEFA Euro, he had the joint highest number of assists. In each tournament, he scored three goals.
- Because of his opportunistic and clever style of play, der Rabe (which translates to The Raven in English) has this sarcastic name.
- When playing for Real Madrid in the 2010-2011 season, he had the highest number of assists in Europe and domestic competitions.
- Since Mesut’s debut for the German national team in February 2009, no other player has assisted more times. To date in 2016, he has assisted 35 times.
- Symbolizing Turkish integration into German society, he received the Bambi award in 2010. Among the most famous Germans of foreign descent, he is Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
- Besides Turkish, German, Spanish, and English, Mesut speaks four other languages, including Turkish, German, and Spanish. It’s common for him to post in all four official languages on his social media accounts.
- To avoid trouble, he always puts his right foot on the ground first before stepping onto the pitch because of his pre-match superstition.
- In his shoes, he ties knots in the laces. The ball could have slipped off his instep otherwise, which is why he believes this helps him with his incredible ball control.
- Childhood games, which he played in a cage-like playground with older boys, taught him how to play in crowded areas.
- As of February 2016, he has missed all his penalties for Arsenal, including one against Bayern Munich in the Champions League and another against French club Marseille in the same competition.
- In 2014, he donated his 2014 World Cup earnings, which were about £240,000, to provide free medical treatment for 23 Brazilian children. To show his appreciation for the Brazilian people’s hospitality, he gave the gift.
- Including three successive titles from 2011 to 2013 and one in 2015, he has been named German player of the year four times.
- He has won DFB Pokal, La Liga, Copa del Rey, and the English FA cup (multiple times) at club level.
Mesut Ozil, the German-Turkish footballer, quickly made headlines in the German press again. A 35-year-old midfielder walked away from Germany’s national soccer team in 2018, citing racism both within the team and throughout German society.
The global COVID pandemic followed shortly thereafter. The £350,000-a-week Ozil was one of the only players to refuse the club’s 12.5% pay-cut while the hierarchy pointed out the financial implications of the crisis. After that, he didn’t play anymore.