Kapil Sharma is a well-known Indian stand-up Comedian, Actor, Host, and Producer. He got popularity for his TV comedy show ‘The Kapil Sharma Show’ and previously ‘Comedy Nights with Kapil’. Kapil has also been a theater artist. He is a multi-talented personality who has comedy, singing, and acting skills. Currently, he is the top stand-up comedian in India.
Kapil Sharma was born in a middle-class Brahmin family on 2 April 1981 in Amritsar, Punjab. His father Jeetendra Kumar Punj was a head constable in the Punjab Police while his mother Janak Rani is a housewife. His father was diagnosed with cancer in 1997 and died in 2004 at AIIMS in Delhi. Kapil has two other siblings, a brother called Ashok Kumar Sharma and a sister called Pooja Sharma.
Earlier, he had an affair with the creative director Preeti Simoes. He has a relationship with actress, Ginni Chatrath and the duo got engaged in 2013. They together were first seen on the set of a comedy reality show, ‘Hans Baliye.’ Kapil Sharma tied the knot with Ginni Charath on 12 December 2018 in Jalandhar, Punjab. The couple is blessed with a baby girl, who was born in December 2019.
Kapil Sharma Wiki/Bio[table id=2035 /]
Kapil Sharma completed his schooling at Shri Ram Ashram Senior Secondary School, Amritsar, Punjab. Then he did his Bachelor of Arts from the Hindu College, Amritsar. During his college days, he used to participate in singing, dancing, and drama competitions. He received several awards at that time. Kapil struggled a lot in his life to help his family financially. While he was in the 10th standard, he used to work in a PCO. For a few months, he also worked in a cloth mill. Later, Kapil started doing theatres and also did some small shows. He later started participating in comedy shows and earned huge success.
In 2006, Kapil Sharma took part in the Punjabi comedy reality show ‘Hasde Hasande Ravo’ that aired on MH One. After that, he took part in another Punjabi comedy show, ‘The Great Punjabi Comedy Show’. In the year 2007, Kapil Sharma emerged as the victor of this show and he was bestowed with a trophy as well as received 10 Lakh.
When Kapil Sharma received the prize money of Rs 10 lakh for winning the Great Punjabi Comedy Show, he spent all the money on the wedding of his sister. Kapil has done campaigning to save animals and adopt homeless animals like cats and dogs. He has also campaigned for the ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ to keep the society clean.
Kapil Sharma Net Worth
The stand-up comedian, who dabbles multiple roles in the entertainment industry, reportedly has a net worth of about $35 million and an annual income of more than INR 30 crores.[table id=2036 /]
Apart from making big bucks through hosting, the comedian makes some money through brand endorsements. According to reports, Kapil charges about a crore for brand endorsements.
- During an event related to International Marathi Film Festival Awards 2015, he was accused of misbehaving with his female co-stars (Monali Thakur, Tanishaa Mukherjee, etc.). Initially, he refused to comment, however, he later tweeted that, “I fall, I rise, I make mistakes, I live, I learn, I’ve been hurt but I am alive. I am human, I am not perfect but I am thankful”
- After the telecast of few initial episodes of The Kapil Sharma Show, nurses from various medical colleges and hospitals in Amritsar registered a complaint at a police station alleging that the show has demeaned their profession by objectifying them, such as Rochelle Rao portraying the character of a glamorous nurse, which led to people raising objections.
- On 9 September 2016, his tweet alleging corruption in the Shiv Sena- and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-ruled Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) created controversy, after which Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis replied on that, “Kapil Bhai pls provide all info. Have directed MC, BMC to take the strictest action. We will not spare the culprit.”
- In December 2015, an FIR lodged was against him for destroying mangroves near his Versova residence in Mumbai.
- In March 2017, Kapil Sharma, who was reportedly drunk, was accused of being abusive to Sunil Grover on a flight from Melbourne, Australia. A few days later, Kapil admitted on Facebook that he had an ‘argument’ with Sunil and questioned the intentions of eyewitnesses who claimed that he had assaulted Sunil.
- In April 2018, he had filed an F.I.R. against his former managers Preeti and Neeti Simoes and the editor of entertainment news portal ‘Spotboye,’ Vicky Lalwani, for maligning his image in media. Later, the F.I.R. got leaked online and was shown by Zee News. Kapil also mentioned that Preeti had threatened him to pay ₹25 lakh or otherwise she will create more tension for him. Vickey Lalwani also filed a non-consignable complaint against Kapil Sharma for using abusive language and threatening him over the phone.
Kapil Sharma participated in Sony’s Comedy Circus and went on to win six seasons of the show. He hosted Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Season 6 and another comedy show Chhote Miyan. In 2008, Kapil appeared as a contestant in the show Ustaadon Ka Ustaad.
In the year 2013, Kapil Sharma decided to present his very own comedy show titled ‘Comedy Nights with Kapil’ under the K9 productions banner. The show was aired on Colors TV and proved to be a megahit. The show ‘Comedy Nights with Kapil’ emerged as India’s most popular comedy show.
By way of this show, Kapil Sharma had become very adored and it became India’s most exclusive comedian. In the year 2014, in Lok Sabha elections Kapil was elected as Delhi brand ambassador. In the year 2017, in the initial episode of KBC Season 8, he was starred as a star guest in this show.
Kapil Sharma hosted the 60th Filmfare award together with Karan Johar, in the same year,. He initiated his acting career with Abbas Mustan’s movie titled ‘Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon’ wherein Kapil Sharma starred in a Leading Role. The 2012 Forbes list which was made for Indian stars involved Kapil Sharma in the top 100.
His second movie Firangi was released on 1 December 2017. Firangi is a historical period drama film set in the year 1920 which is directed by Rajiev Dhingra. Kapil Sharma had been in the glare of publicity for his adverse behavior with co-star Sunil Grover and each and every individual critiqued Sharma’s misbehavior. Again in the year 2018, he returned back with his comedy show ‘The Kapil Sharma Show’.[table id=2037 /]
Awards List[table id=2038 /]
Facts About Kapil Sharma
- Does Kapil Sharma drink alcohol?: Yes
- Does he smoke?: No
- During his graduation at Apeejay College of Fine Arts, Jalandhar, he used to direct plays for his pocket money. He was also a scholarship holder and a national-level winner in theatre.
- Kapil was paid minimum wages in the initial stages of his career and he even acted as a comedian without being paid at all. He has also worked in a PCO, a cloth mill, and even picked crates of soft-drinks to earn money.
- His father died in 2004 due to Cancer. He didn’t have the money to join any acting course but due to his sheer talent, many institutions sponsored his acting course fee.
- According to Kapil, his sense of humor comes from his mother who has been his biggest source of inspiration.
- His initial passion was singing and singing is the thing which made him come to the tinsel town.
- He was initially rejected in the audition round of ‘The Great Indian Laughter Challenge 3’, but received a call to return, and eventually, he won the competition.
- Kapil is one of the very few comedians in India who were ranked among the list of Forbes magazine in terms of power and money.
- He was being launched to the film industry by the legendary Yash Raj Films, but the project somehow stopped abruptly.
- Kapil met his rumored girlfriend, Preeti Simoes, on the sets of ‘Comedy Circus’ and she is currently working as the creative director of ‘The Kapil Sharma Show’.
- He is a left-hander.
- In April 2018, he filed an F.I.R. against Spotboye editor Vicky Lalvani and Neeti and Preeti Simoes for maligning his image. In reply, Lalwani shared an audiotape recording of his alleged phone conversation with Kapil Sharma.
News sources suggest that Kapil charges a whooping Rupees 40 lakhs per day to host the popular show Comedy Nights With Kapil on Colors. Also, the fact is that he doesn’t only host but also looks into the creatives and his popularity also adds to the brand value and thus the hefty price.
Producers are Salman Khan and Deepak Dhar. Production companies are K9 Films TEAM (Triumbh entertainment & media) Salman Khan Television Banijay Asia. The distributor is Sony Pictures Networks.
There was nothing that we did basically. All we did was to put our request in the online portal of CDN Times which is officially regulated by Kapil Sharma’s production team and they will give you the passes for the show. These passes are absolutely free of cost and their producer’s team will call you up to check and verify your identity and go through the process. Generally, this happens a week prior to the show’s official shooting date. Even if you are not in Mumbai, don’t worry! You will still have a week’s time to get in there and watch your favorite comedian – Kapil Sharma live in front of you! Please don’t hesitate to put forward your request on the website and let them know and they will give you a free access ticket for you and your family. Generally one single ticket – Accommodates two adult people. So just remember, never pay anyone any money to get into the show! It’s always free and will be for all the public. This is as per Kapil Sharma’s request and anyone can come down to watch the show.
No, Because both are from different genres of Comedy. Chandler is a king of sarcasm and sarcastic comedy. Whereas, Kapil is the king of insult kind of comedy or humor created by someone’s insult. The second thing is Chandler was an on-screen character played by Matthew Langford Perry, it was a scripted play/ sitcom show. So chandler is the output of a very good script & a perfect dialogue delivery and perfect acting by Perry. Whereas, Kapil is a stand-up comedian although it is scripted performing comedy in front of the live audience needs some different level of skills.
The production house of Kapil Sharma has nine writers who write and edit the scripts that air on the television show. Therefore, K stands for Kapil, and 9 stands for the number of writers that help the show running.