Mikel John Obi, a former professional football player from Nigeria who played defensive midfield, was born John Michael Nchekwube Obinna on April 22, 1987. Mikel started his career with the regional team Plateau United before switching to the Norwegian club Lyn in 2004 when he was 17 years old.
He controversially moved to the English team Chelsea in 2006 after Manchester United allegedly claimed to have already signed him. He spent 11 years with Chelsea before departing for China in 2017 with Tianjin TEDA. He spent two years in China before returning to England on a temporary deal with Middlesbrough. In July 2019, he joined Trabzonspor on a free transfer. Mikel rejoined Stoke City in August 2020 after returning to England.
John Obi Mikel Bio/Wiki
|Birth Name||John Michael Nchekwube Obinna|
|Nick Name||John Obi Mikel|
|Age (as of 2023)||36 years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Taurus|
|Birth Place||Jos, Nigeria|
|Date of Birth||22 April 1987|
|Hobbies||Music and Gym|
|Mother's Name||Irosu Obi|
|Father's Name||Michael Obi|
|Brother(s)||• Patrick Obi|
• Ebere Obi
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Debut Club||Plateau United|
|Jersey Number||• Nigeria -10|
|Current Team(s)||• Nigeria|
|League level||Not Available|
|Caps/Goals||89 / 6|
|Career Manager/ Player Agent||Not Available|
|Traits||• Dives Into Tackles|
|Style Of Play||• Likes to play short passes|
|Weakness||No Significant Weaknesses|
Height and , Weight
|Height||• in meters - 1.88 m|
• in feet inches - 6′ 2″
|Weight||• in kilograms - 86 kg|
• in pounds - 190 lbs
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Nigerian|
|Chest Size||40 inches|
|Biceps Size||14 inches|
|Waist Size||30 inches|
|Favorite Playing Position||Midfielder|
|Favorite Car||Not Available|
|Favorite Drinks||Red Wine|
|Favorite Cell Phone/Brand||Iphone|
Andrej Kramaric Biography, Age, Wife, Salary, Transfer, FIFA 22, Career, Net Worth & Wiki
The Nigerian Football Association (NFA) submitted “Michael” instead of “Mikel” for the 2003 FIFA U-17 World Championship, which was held in Finland. The new name had a “unique ring to it,” so he chose to keep it. When he first joined Chelsea, he was most frequently referred to as “John Obi Mikel,” but on July 31, 2006, he said that he prefers the name Mikel John Obi, and he made the change official in 2016.
Mike Obi was named the Nigerian Youth Ambassador on June 18, 2021, according to Sunday Dare, the minister of youth sports development.
John Obi Mikel Net Worth
The range of John Obi Mikel’s net worth or income is thought to be between $50 Million. However, his major occupation as a soccer player has brought him a significant amount of wealth.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||$50 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$45 Million|
|Contract Signed/Extension||Sep 27, 2022|
|Income Source||Professional Footballer|
Bryan Ruiz Biography, Age, Career, Personal Life, FIFA 22, Net Worth & Wiki
John Obi Mikel FIFA 22 Stats
In FIFA 22, John Obi Mikel has an overall rating of 70 and his potential is also 70.
FIFA 22 Stats
Overall Rating In FIFA 22
Potential In FIFA 22
|71||Heading Accuracy||59||FK Accuracy|
|77||Short Passing||74||Long Passing|
|78||Defensive Awareness||74||Sliding Tackle|
Marin Pongracic Biography, Age, Wife, Dortmund, FIFA 22, Career, Net Worth & Wiki
- Mikel began his football career at the age of 12 when he was selected from more than 3,000 young footballers as a talented player to play for the Pepsi Football Academy, a group that at the time was well known for travelling throughout Nigeria looking for young footballers with the potential to play professionally.
- Scouts saw Obi and he was chosen to play for Plateau United, a top-flight team that had previously produced talents Celestine Babayaro, Victor Obinna, and Chris Obodo who eventually had success in European competitions.
- He gained notoriety for his nation at the FIFA Under-17 World Championships held in Finland and was thereafter known as John Obi-Mikel.
- Mikel was taken on a free transfer by the Chinese club Tianjin TEDA on January 6, 2017.
- Against Guangzhou R&F on April 14, 2018, he scored his second league goal for Tianjin and his first of the year.
- At the conclusion of the Chinese Super League season in November 2018, he departed Tianjin TEDA.
- After spending two years in China, Mikel signed a short-term contract with English Championship club Middlesbrough during the 2019 winter transfer window.
- After departing the Chinese team Tianjin TEDA, the 31-year-old was a free agent.
- Mikel played for Boro in 19 games, scoring one against Rotherham United on May 5, 2019, as the squad finished seventh, just missing the playoffs.
- After the 2018–19 season, Middlesbrough released him.
- Mikel signed a two-year deal with an additional year option with Trabzonspor in the summer of 2019.
- On March 17, 2020, it was revealed that Mikel had departed Trabzonspor of his own will. Days before, he had voiced his concerns about the Turkish Super Lig continuing in the midst of the widespread coronavirus outbreak.
- On August 17, 2020, Mikel agreed to a one-year contract with Stoke City in the EFL Championship.
- On September 13, 2020, he made his Stoke debut in a scoreless draw away at Millwall.
- Mikel played a significant role for the squad in 2020–21 under Michael O’Neill, making 41 games as Stoke ended in a mid-table position of 14th.
- O’Neill said at the end of the season that he wants Mikel to remain at Stoke for another season.
- Mikel cancelled his contract with Stoke on July 1, 2021, and he relocated to Kuwait SC.
- After just four months of being a member of the squad, the contract with Kuwait SC was cancelled on November 4th, 2021.
- Mikel announced his retirement from professional football on September 27, 2022, at the age of 35.
- At the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship, Mikel played for the Nigeria under-20 squad and was awarded the Silver Ball as the tournament’s second-best player (after Lionel Messi) as the continent’s side came in second to Argentina.
- On August 17, 2005, he earned his senior team debut for Nigeria when he replaced another player in the second half of a 1-0 friendly victory against Libya.
- Prior to being selected for the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations team, he did not play for the national team once again.
- Mikel did not enter the game when Nigeria faced Ghana in the opening round of the group round.
- He entered the second game against Zimbabwe, nevertheless, early in the second half.
- He provided the corner from which Christian Obodo headed the game’s first goal within 10 minutes of entering the game, and he also scored Nigeria’s second goal.
- In Nigeria’s 2-1 victory against Senegal in the group’s final match, he received his first international start.
- Premier League: 2009–10, 2014–15
- FA Cup: 2006–07, 2008–09, 2011–12
- Football League Cup: 2006–07
- FA Community Shield: 2009
- UEFA Champions League: 2011–12
- UEFA Europa League: 2012–13
- Turkish Cup: 2019–20
- Africa Cup of Nations: 2013; third place: 2006, 2010, 2019
- Summer Olympics bronze medalist: 2016
- FIFA World Youth Championship Silver Ball: 2005
- CAF Most Promising Talent of the Year: 2005
- Chelsea Young Player of the Year: 2007, 2008
- CAF Team of the Year:2005, 2013
- Africa Cup of Nations Team of the Tournament: 2013
- African Footballer of the Year runner-up: 2013
Bryan Oviedo Biography, Age, Career, Height, FIFA 22, Net Worth & Wiki
He is currently 36 years old (as of 2023).
He is 188 cm tall.
He plays as a midfielder.
His net worth is $50 Million (as of 2023).