Jack Kilmer is an American actor who rocketed to fame with his depiction of ‘Teddy’ in the 2013 film ‘Palo Alto,’ which considered the beginning of his career as an actor. Although he was born to actor parents, Jack never expected to become an actor. He originally had an interest in music and might have established a career in the music industry if filmmaker Gia Coppola would not have surrounded him for ‘Palo Alto.’
The two were in the same school, and years later, Gia considered Jack as the absolute choice for the performance of ‘Teddy.’ He even served with his father, Val Kilmer. ‘Palo Alto’ gave Jack a direction in life, and finally, he worked in several more films. One of his most famous performances was that of the late black metal musician Pelle “Dead” Ohlin in ‘Lords of Chaos.’
|Birth Name||Val Edward Kilmer|
|Age||(as in 2020) 61 Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Capricorn|
|Birth Place||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Date of Birth||31 December 1959|
|Residence||Malibu, California, United States|
|Home Town||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Mother's Name||Gladys née Ekstadt Swanette|
|Father's Name||Eugene Dorris Kilmer (Aerospace Equipment Distributor, Real Estate Developer) (d. 1993)|
|Brother||• Wesley Kilmer (Younger) (d. 1977)|
• Mark Kilmer (Older)
|Others||• Joyce Kilmer (Second Cousin) (Journalist, Poet)|
• Thomas/Tom Walker Kilmer (Paternal Grandfather) (Gold Miner)
• Nora/Norah Elizabeth Jones (Paternal Grandmother)
• John Edward Ekstadt (Maternal Grandfather)
• Hilma Charlotte Swanson (Maternal Grandmother)
• Jeremiah Early Kilmer (Paternal Grand-Grandfather)
• Nancy Williams (Paternal Grand-Grandmother)
• Stephen T. Jones (Paternal Grand-Grandfather)
• Sarah Elizabeth Webb (Paternal Grand-Grandmother)
• John August Ekstadt (Maternal Grand-Grandfather)
• Anna Elizabeth Wester (Maternal Grand-Grandmother)
• Bror Swanson (Maternal Grand-Grandfather)
• Karna Elizabeth Nilsdotter (Maternal Grand-Grandmother)
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Ellen Barkin|
• Cher (1982-1984)
• Michelle Pfeiffer (1985)
• Lesley Ann Warren (1986)
• Joanne Whalley (1987-1996)
• Emily Lloyd (1994)
• Elisabeth Shue (1996)
• Cindy Crawford (1996)
• Mira Sorvino (1997)
• Daryl Hannah (2001-2002)
• Neve Campbell (2002-2003)
• Bridgetta Tomarchio (2003)
• Zeta Graff (2005)
• Paris Hilton (2005)
• Winona Ryder (2005)
• Izabella Miko (2009-2012)
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Marriage Date||February 28, 1988|
|Children||Son- Jack Kilmer|
Daughter- Mercedes Kilmer
|School||• Berkeley Hall School in Los Angeles, California, United States|
• Chatsworth High School in Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, United States
• Hollywood Professional School in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, United States
• Juilliard School in Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States
|Profession||Actor, Singer, Musician, Director, Producer, Artist|
|Brands Endorsed||• Nikon (2002)|
• Northrop Grumman Corporation (2002)
• Orange’s Gold Spot cinema ads (2007)
• Ford’s Mustang (2008)
• Farin Chocolate (2008)
• Ford Motors (2011)
• Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief (2005)
• Orchard Beach Classic Car, Truck, and Motorcycle Show (2007)
• White Face Defenders of the Black Hills (2007)
• First Star Celebration for Children’s Rights (2008)
• Equitable Access to Care and Health Act at the U.S. Congress (2013)
|Career Manager||• Creative Artists Agency (CAA) (Talent Agent) in Los Angeles, California, United States|
• Vox (Talent Agent Commercial, Voice) in Los Angeles, California, United States
• LINK Entertainment (Manager) in Los Angeles, California, United States
• Hirsch Wallerstein Hayum Matlof
• Fishman (Legal Representative) in Los Angeles, California, United States
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 183 cm|
in meters- 1.83 m
in feet inches- 6’0”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 80 kg|
in pounds- 177 lbs
|Chest Size||Not Available|
|Biceps Size||Not Available|
|Waist Size||Not Available|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||White|
|Hair Color||Light Brown (Natural)|
|Dress Size||Not Available|
|Shoe Size||Not Available|
|Favorite Animals||Dog, Buffalo|
|Favorite Activities||Riding A Motorcycle, Traveling, Scuba Diving|
|Favorite Actors||Warwick Davis, Robert Downey Jr., Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Jim Carrey|
|Favorite Singer||Kurt Cobain|
Kilmer was born, in Los Angeles, the son of Gladys Swanette and Eugene Dorris Kilmer, an aerospace material distributor and real estate developer. His mother was of Swedish origin. His father’s pedigree included English, Scottish-Irish, French, and German. His parents separated in 1968 when he was 8 years old.
Kilmer’s grandfather was a gold miner in New Mexico, near the border with Arizona. In 1977 Kilmer’s younger brother Wesley, who had suffered a diagnosis of epilepsy, drowned in a jacuzzi at age 15; their father died in 1993.
Kilmer joined Berkeley Hall School, a Christian Science school in Los Angeles, until ninth grade. He attended Chatsworth High School with Kevin Spacey and Mare Winningham, and also joined the Hollywood Professional School. He became the youngest person at the time to be accepted into the Juilliard School’s Drama Division, where he was a member of Group 10.
Jack Kilmer Net Worth
Val Kilmer has a net worth of $25 million.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2019 (Approx)||$25 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2018(Approx)||Under Review|
|Annual Salary||Under Review|
|Income Source||Actor, Singer, Musician, Director, Producer, Artist|
Val earned $7 million for 1995’s Batman Forever. That’s the equivalent of around $12 million today. In 1997 he earned $7 million for The Saint and $6 million for The Island of Dr. Moreau which co-starred his acting idol, Marlon Brando. That $13 million connected profits made him one of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood that year.
Earning $13 million in 1997 is the same as earning around $20 million today. In 1999 Val earned a career-high $9 million for, At First Sight, approximately $14 million in today’s dollars.
Val beforehand owned a 6,000-acre ranch in New Mexico which he at one point wanted to turn into to a resort/ranch/bed and breakfast. In 2009 he placed the entire property for sale for $33 million.
In October 2011 he struck a deal to sell roughly 5,300 of the acres to an oil billionaire couple for $18.5 million. Kilmer auctioned a second portion at some point in the following years. He still owns around 160-acres of the property.
Jack Kilmer Throat Cancer
In January 2015, it was announced that Kilmer had been hospitalized after having emergency surgery made on his throat. In April 2017, he eventually confirmed the longstanding rumors that he was battling throat cancer.
Late in the year, the actor started up about how things had turned since his cancer diagnosis. “I was too serious,” he said The Hollywood Writer, recounting his days as an A-lister. “I’d get upset when things like Oscars and recognition failed to come my way.”
Kilmer gave more details about his experiences as a cancer patient in his 2020 memoir, I’m Your Huckleberry, showing that ex-girlfriend Cher had helped him get through some of his most difficult times.
Jack Kilmer Movies And TV Shows
- Jack was surrounded by filmmaker Gia Coppola, whom he had met back in school. They were in touch in subsequent years.
- Twelve years later, Gia gave Jack the script of a film she was running on and asked him to review it.
- Jack and Gia reviewed the script, and she sought his advice about whether the dialogues justified the plot in the contemporary context. The film was later released as ‘Palo Alto,’ an arrangement of James Franco’s book of the same name. Gia invited Jack to audition for the role of ‘Teddy,’ one of the lead characters in the film.
- Gia even directed Jack during his audition. She asked him to deliver a few dialogues while she filmed him. The footage later became Jack’s audition tape. He was able to impress Gia and earn the role.
- The film released on May 9, 2014, in the US and was selected at many film festivals. The film saw Jack sharing screen space with his father, who was cast as the stepfather of the character ‘April,’ played by Emma Roberts. The film earned mostly positive reviews, and Jack’s appearance was highly praised by critics, who termed it “formidable.” Some also called it “naturalistic and sincere.”
- The next year, Jack made displays in a few more projects. He was seen as a prisoner called ‘Jim Randall’ in the docudrama thriller film ‘The Stanford Prison Experiment,’ which premiered at the 2015 ‘Edinburgh Film Festival.’
- Following this, he performed ‘Max’ in the independent comedy-drama ‘Len and Company.’
- Jack was cast as ‘Chet,’ a young film projectionist, in the 2016 neo-noir crime dark comedy ‘The Nice Guys.’
- The same year, he starred as ‘James,’ with Eleanore Pienta, in the short ‘Asphyxia.’ Jack played the character ‘Johnny’ in the 2017 psychological thriller–drama ‘Woodshock.’
- Jack performed a role inspired by a real-life personality for the first time when he was cast as Per Yngve Ohlin, the lead vocalist and lyricist of the Norwegian black metal band ‘Mayhem’ ( better known by his stage name, ”Dead”) in the 2018 horror–thriller film ‘Lords of Chaos.’ The film was an adaptation of the 1998 book of the same name and presented a semi-fictionalized version of the Norwegian black metal scene of the early 1990s.
- He appeared as ‘Marcus’ in the 2018 film ‘Josie,’ which premiered at the ‘Mammoth Film Festival.’ Following this, he played ‘Luke’ in the comedy ‘Summer ’03’ and ‘Terry’ in the drama ‘The Pretenders.’ The latter premiered at the ‘Torino Film Festival.’
- Lately, he was seen as ‘Jesse’ in the 2019 film ‘Hala,’ which was screened at the ‘Sundance Film Festival.’
|1985 ||Real Genius|
|1989||Kill Me Again|
|1991||The Doors |
|1993||The Real McCoy|
Wings of Courage
|1996||The Island of Dr Moreau|
The Ghost and the Darkness
|1998||The Prince of Egypt|
|1999||At First Sight|
Joe the King
|2002||The Salton Sea|
Masked and Anonymous
George and the Dragon
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
10th & Wolf
The Ten Commandments: The Musical
|2007||Have Dreams, Will Travel|
|2008||22Columbus DayThe Love Guru|
|2009||The Chaos Experiment|
Streets of Blood
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
|2011||Kill the Irishman|
5 Days of War
Wyatt Earp's Revenge
The Fourth Dimension
|2014 ||Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn|
|2017||Song to Song|
|2019||Jay and Silent Bob Reboot|
|2020||A Soldier's Revenge|
|2021||Top Gun: Maverick|
TV Shows & Serials List
|1986||The Murders in the Rue Morgue|
|1987||The Man Who Broke 1,000 Chains|
|1989||Billy the Kid|
|2008–2009||Knight Rider |
|2013||Life's Too Short|
|2014||The Spoils of Babylon|
- His parents separated in 1968 when he was 9 years old.
- He raised up in the San Fernando Valley, California, United States.
- Val’s younger brother, Wesley, immersed in a family swimming pool in 1977, when he was only 15 years old. This tragic event encouraged Val’s role in The Salton Sea (2002).
- Kevin Spacey is a childhood friend of his. Kevin enrolled in the same high school in his teenage years and then attended The Juilliard School with Val as well.
- He admitted he was only 4 ft 11 in when he joined in high school.
- Val fell in love with the actress Mare Winningham during the time they went to high school together, because she had a driving license and he didn’t.
- He is great friends with Marlon Brando, a well-known actor. After working together on The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996), the film director was so angry with both of them that he swore they’d never work together again.
- Val nearly broke his foot during the filming of Willow (1988), and noticeably lagged in some scenes.
- Val has a trademark movement, he covers the 1st 2 fingers of his right hands together when thinking or talking, and twirls small objects such as pencils, coins, with his fingers as well.
- After he was done filming his debut movie, Top Secret! (1984), he went and backpacked around Europe.
- He initially didn’t want to appear as Iceman in Top Gun (1986) alongside Tom Cruise but was forced due to contractual obligations.
- In 1986, he also auditioned for the character of Sergeant Elias Grodin in the movie Platoon. He described the character as an Indian shaman, which was bizarre but memorable to the casting directors.
- Val had a chance to play the lead role in Dirty Dancing (1987) but declined because he didn’t want to be remembered as a hunk.
- Val was thought to play the role of Vincent Mancini in The Godfather Part III (1990).
- He was the 2nd actor to play Batman in the franchise of movies, right after Michael Keaton. Despite George Clooney and later Ben Affleck taking over the role, Val remained the only actor with blonde or light brown hair color that played Batman.
- Val was in the Kalahari desert when he got the call to play Batman in Batman Forever (1995).
- He took over the role of Chris Shiherlis in Heat (1995) after Keanu Reeves backed out.
- When he sang in the movie The Doors (1991) as Jim Morrison, real band members said they had difficulty distinguishing their voices.
- Val was originally supposed to play Alexander the Great in Alexander (2004) but ended up playing King Philip, while Colin Farrell took the lead role.
- For 3 decades, he performed in 1 film per decade made by one of his favorite directors, Tony Scott. Those were Top Gun (1986), True Romance (1993), and Deja Vu (2006).
- After being referenced and read about multiple times during the 1st season of TV series Psych (2006-2014) as Detective Dobson, Val made a surprise appearance in the series finale.
- In an interview in 2006, Val said he had a massive crush on the Australian actress Cate Blanchett that he forgot his dialogue in the scene, forgot that he was acting, and just stood there staring at her.
- When asked whether he’d pick Oprah Winfrey or Nicole Richie, he chose Oprah.
- Val became good friends with 50 Cent during the filming of Street of Blood (2009). They connected over their love for vintage cars, and Val later bought a 1965 Chevy Impala from 50 Cent for $100,000.
- In 2015, he was hospitalized and tested for the presence of a tumor. Val reported doctors didn’t find anything of that nature.
- In April 2017, Val announced he was recovering from a 2-year battle with throat cancer, and as a result of the procedure, his voice was reduced to a rasp and he became very short of breath.
- He and Michael Fassbender became good friends after they served together in Song to Song (2017) and The Showman (2017).
- On June 7, 2018, it was confirmed that Val would reprise his role of Iceman in the sequel of Top Gun (1986), with a working title of Top Gun: Maverick.
- In early 2019, an artist named Bale Creek Allen sued Val for allegedly copying one of his signature bronze tumbleweed sculptures. The art in question was made of 22-carat gold and was sold for $150,000.
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Does Val Kilmer Have Cancer?”]He Was Diagnosed With Throat Cancer Which Healed Very Quickly. This Is A Tracheotomy To Help Him Breathe Because The Glands In His Throat Swelled Up As Well. Kilmer Went Public With His Cancer Diagnosis In 2017 After Initially Denying Reports He Was Ill.[/wps_faq]
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Is Val Kilmer In New Top Gun?”]He’ll Be Reprising That Iconic Role And Reuniting With Cruise In Top Gun: Maverick, Scheduled For Release July 2, 2021. Kilmer Played Coy, However, When Asked To Spill Details On What Fans Can Expect From The Summer Sequel. “I Have To Tell You, Tom Cruise Is Very Cool,” He Shares. “That Is All I Can Tell You.[/wps_faq]
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Will Val Kilmer Talk Again?”]Speaking About His Former Cancer Battle On Good Morning America, Val Admitted That He Was Actually Doing Great After His Tracheotomy. The Star, Who Is Preparing A Return To The Big Screen, Noted That The Procedure Made Communication Difficult But He Was Able To Learn How To Speak On-Screen Once Again.[/wps_faq]
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Why Did Val Kilmer Stop Acting?”]Kilmer Slipped From The Spotlight Not Because He Didn’t Have The Necessary Talent, But Rather Because He Picked More Challenging Roles. Now 60 Years Old, Val Kilmer Is Far From Retired, As He’s Set To Produce Mark Twain And Mary Baker Eddy, And Has Reportedly Already Completed Filming For Five Movies In 2020 Alone.[/wps_faq]
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Is Val Kilmer In Remission?”]In Addition To A Tracheostomy, Kilmer Also Underwent Chemotherapy And Radiation. He Turned To His Faith And Prayed For Healing. He’s Been Cancer-free For Over Four Years Now.[/wps_faq]