Ilkay Gundogan was born on 24 October 1990 and plays as a midfielder for the Premier League club Manchester City and the German national team. Gundogan was a member of the VfL Bochum youth academy. Before joining the club’s first team, he played for the club’s reserve side in 2008. The following year, FC Nurnberg won the championship. Following his acquisition by Borussia Dortmund in 2011, he won the Bundesliga and DFB-Pokal in his first season.
In 1997, he helped die Borussen reach the UEFA Champions League Final in 2013. Having played 157 matches and scored 15 goals for the club, Gundogan joined Manchester City in the summer of 2016. In 2018, 2019, 2021, and 2022, he won the Premier League, the EFL Cup, and the FA Cup. In 2011, Gundogan made his senior debut for Germany after previously playing for Germany’s under-18, under-19, under-20, and under-21 teams. UEFA Euro 2012, the 2018 FIFA World Cup, and UEFA Euro 2020 all included him in Germany’s squads.
Ilkay Gundogan Bio/Wiki
• Mr Whippy
|33 (as in 2023) Years
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign
|Date of Birth
|24 October 1990
|Watching Movies, Horse Riding, Swimming
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|At Lake Como, also known as Lario, is the third largest of the Italian lakes (after Lake Garda and Lake Maggiore).
|VfL Bochum's youth academy
|VfL Bochum academy
|Career Manager/ Player Agent
|• 2016: Manchester City
|• 2011: German national football team
|• 8 (Manchester City)
• 21 (German national football team)
|• Manchester City
• German national football team
|Josep "Pep" Guardiola Sala
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in feet inches- 5'11”
|in kilograms- 80 kg
in pounds- 176 lbs
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity
|Favorite Playing Position
|Fruits and Veg
|Favorite Pet Animal
|Favorite Cell Phone/Brand
Woodgram presents the full story of a football genius known as Gunny. You will find a full account of notable events from Gundogan’s childhood right up until his rise to fame in our Ilkay Gundogan Biography Facts.
The analysis of this Man City legend highlights his family life, relationship life, and many little-known OFF-Pitch facts. Everyone knows about Gundogan’s midfield abilities, but few have read his biography, which is quite interesting. Let’s begin without further ado.
Life During Childhood And Family Background
To begin with, Ilkay Gundogan was born in Gelsenkirchen, Germany on October 24, 1990. The legendary Man City player was born in Gelsenkirchen to Turkish parents, Mr. Irfan Gundogan and Mrs. Ayten Gundogan.
It was his grandfather who first moved from Balakesir, Turkey, to the Ruhr region of Germany where he worked as a miner that brought both parents to Germany. After his Nordstern mining job paid off, Ilkay Gundogan’s granddad brought his parents to Germany.
Ilkay grew up in Gelsenkirchen, a migrant neighborhood known for producing talents like Mesut Ozil and Leroy Sane, who both came from Turkish families. On the first day of school in Gelsenkirchen, Germany, Ilkay Gundogan began playing football.
According to him: My football was always with me, no matter where I was or where I went. I even took it to bed. Just as I practiced in the yard behind my parents’ house, I practiced in my lounge at home.
The garage doors in our yard became a regular meeting place for all the children in our neighborhood because they could be used as goal posts.
My brother and I used to play there all the time. Because he was older and bigger than me, I learned a lot from him. Later on, I always played with older people and was always the smallest. As a result, I learned how to assert myself.”
SV Gelsenkirchen-Hessler 06 was Ilkay Gundogan’s first youth club when he was three years old. His parents drove him to every game and training session. He also learned how to act independently and responsibly from Irfan and Ayten at an early age. To date, this explains why he behaves so maturely.
In the youth team of VfL Bochum, Ilkay learned his skills and developed as a player. A number of clubs from Germany and Europe offered him a contract because he was so talented. A number of clubs were interested in his play, including FC Nurnberg, Dortmund, and Manchester City, where he currently plays at the time of writing this biography. As they say, the rest is history.
Sila Sahin And Ilkay Gundogan’s Love Story Turned Into Marriage
The signing of Ilkay Gundogan by Manchester City excited many city fans for one reason. He was happy to bring along his stunning girlfriend and WAG Sila Sahin. There is no doubt that Sila Sahin, Ilkay Gundogan’s girlfriend, is a stunning woman. Both lovebirds have been together for a long time.
Gundogan, however, is 5 years younger than his girlfriend, who was born on the 3rd of December 1985 in Spandau, Berlin. After posing for a P-Boy magazine cover in 2011, the sizzling hot actress caused a storm. As a result, she became the first Turkish woman to appear on the cover of a P-Boy magazine.
Family Life Of Ilkay Gundogan
Before football investments paid off, Ilkay Gundogan came from a middle-class family. Without his granddad, who migrated from Turkey to Germany, he would not be where he is today.
As a result of his granddad’s move to Germany, his grandmother, uncle, and father also relocated from Turkey to the German Ruhr region to work as miners at the Nordstern mine in Gelsenkirchen. His uncle still works at the Prosper mine in Bottrop at the time of writing this bio. Sadly, he rarely finds time and opportunity to visit his hometown of Balikesir in Turkey. Instabul, which offers a variety of cultures, is more appealing to him.
Ilkay Gundogan values his family and home very much. I am extremely grateful to my parents for all the support they have given me throughout my career. He still considers his uncle to be one of the most important people in his life.
Brother Of Ilkay Gundogan
He has a brother named Ilker Gündogan who supports him in his career in every way. just like my brother.
He criticizes his brother’s praise and stands by him when things don’t go according to plan. In addition to Gundogan, he has a cousin named Naz Aydemir. At the time of writing, Naz plays volleyball for Vakrfbank and is a member of the Turkish women’s national team.
Team Mate Respect
Once, Manchester City’s players paid a unique tribute to injured midfielder Ilkay Gundogan. Incredibly, Ilkay Gundogan was met with great confusion when he observed players wearing his shirt.
They walked out onto the Etihad pitch wearing Ilkay Gundogan’s number eight shirt back-to-front. Fans were forced to jokingly reassure him that he had not died.
Road To Fame
We present to you a short summary of his work ethic – one that keeps him fit and sharp. Fitness is about being better than you used to be, according to Ilkay. Gundogan’s Deputy Mayor Yilmaz, Cemal Ergenç, surprised him when he visited his hometown in Turkey. Deputy Mayor Yilmaz expressed his hometown’s pride in its famous football player.
Yilmaz has announced that their new stadium will be called Ilkay Gündogan Stadium from now on. In this way, Ilkay’s hardworking potential can be emulated. In the presence of his father, Deputy Mayor Yilmaz, Cemal Ergenç, explained to Ilkay Gundogan that this gift would accelerate the process and enhance youth and sports.
Coach Klopp’s Favorite
Gundogan’s former coach at Borussia Dortmund, Jurgen Klopp, described him as an “intelligent and complete midfielder”.
In spite of Gundogan’s tough start at Dortmund, when he admitted “things hadn’t gone as well as I had thought”, Klopp praised his “willingness to learn” and “great attitude”. Combining creativity and outstanding passing with defensive attributes and tireless energy, he could fit into any team.
Ilkay Gundogan Net Worth
In 2023, what will his salary be?
The midfielder signed a contract in 2016 which extended from 2019 till 2023 for £29,120,000 with the Manchester City F.C., including an annual average salary of £7,280,000. According to our calculations, he earns £19,945 per day and £831 per hour!
Salary & Net Worth Updated 2023
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)
|Per Month Salary
|Per Week Salary
|Per Day Salary
|Per Hour Salary
|Per Minute Salary
|With Manchester City
|Jul 1, 2016
|Jun 30, 2023
|Contract Signing Amount or Transfer Fee
|Highest Market Value
|$55.00 Million (Jun 13, 2019)
Germans have been playing professional football for a very long time. It has been over 10 years since he made his debut at VFL Bochum. There is no doubt that he has made a lot of money. As Manchester City is well known for paying huge salaries and transfer fees, signing with them certainly didn’t hurt.
His net worth is estimated at $50 Million as of 2023. Since he joined Man City, his market value has declined. As the midfielder is nearing the end of his ‘prime’, we estimate his market value at $27.50 million.
Ilkay Gundogan FIFA 22 Potential And Rating
Ilkay Gundogan is a 33-year-old central midfielder for Manchester City in England. He has an overall rating of 85 in FIFA 22 with a potential rating of 85. A 4-star rating was given to Gundogan for his skill moves.
Ilkay Gundogan FIFA 22 Stats
Overall Rating In FIFA 22
Potential In FIFA 22
With his right foot, he prefers to shoot. His workrates are High / Medium. According to our database, Gundogan is 180 cm tall and weighs 80 kg. Ilkay Gundogan is currently playing with numbers 8 and 21.
Gundogan was born to Turkish parents in Gelsenkirchen, North Rhine-Westphalia. He grew up and attended school in Turkey with his grandparents, who worked as miners in the Ruhr region of Germany as guest workers. The Gundogan family reunified in 1979, and Gundogan’s father found a job in Germany shortly afterward.
As of January 1, Gundogan has moved from VfL Bochum to 1. In 2009, FC Nürnberg was founded. The first assist he made came in his fourth Bundesliga match, away to Bayern Munich on 19 September 2009. The first goal he scored for the team came in a home match against Bayern Munich on 20 February 2010.
- In May 2011, it was announced that Gundogan had signed a four-year contract with Borussia Dortmund.
- On 23 July, he made his DFL-Supercup debut against Schalke 04.
- Kevin Grosskreutz and Ivan Perisic missed Schalke’s chance to win the shootout after a goalless draw at Veltins-Arena.
- The first goal Gundogan scored for Dortmund came in a 4–1 win over SC Freiburg on 17 December.
- During a 2–1 win over 1 on 22 February 2012, he played once for the club’s reserves. At the Stadion Rote Erde, FC Kaiserslautern II.
- Dortmund reached the DFB-Pokal final on 20 March when Gundogan scored a 120th-minute goal against Greuther Furth.
- Dortmund won the domestic double for the first time on 12 May with a 5–2 victory over Bayern Munich.
- Borussia Dortmund reached the UEFA Champions League final with Gundogan as a central figure in the 2012–13 season.
- Two semi-final games against Real Madrid were praised for his performance.
- On 25 May 2013, he scored the equalizer from the penalty spot in the 69th minute to keep Dortmund’s hopes alive against Bayern Munich in the 2013 UEFA Champions League Final played at Wembley Stadium, London.
- This was his first penalty kick in a game for Dortmund. Bayern Munich went on to win the match 2–1.
- On 27 July 2013, Gundogan scored a goal when he won the 2013 DFL-Supercup with Dortmund 4–2 against rivals Bayern Munich.
- In August, a back injury while on international duty required surgery, which eventually ruled him out for a full year.
- In April 2014, he signed a new contract, to keep him at the club until 2016.
- On 28 April 2015, Gundogan and Sebastian Kehl scored in a penalty shootout victory over Bayern Munich which sent Dortmund into the DFB-Pokal Final.
- Two days later, it was announced he and Borussia Dortmund would not be extending their contract after it expired on 30 July 2016.
- However, on 1 July 2015, he signed a contract extension to keep him at the club until 2017.
- On 2 June 2016, Gundogan signed a four-year contract with Premier League side Manchester City, for an estimated fee of £20 million.
- He was the club’s first signing under former Bayern Munich manager Pep Guardiola.
- He made his debut on 14 September, playing for the first time in four months in a UEFA Champions League group stage game at home to Borussia Monchengladbach.
- City won 4–0, and he won a penalty which was converted by Sergio Aguero.
- Three days later, Gundogan started and scored with a low, right-foot shot against AFC Bournemouth in a 4–0 win at the City of Manchester Stadium.
- He scored a brace and set up an Aguero goal against West Bromwich Albion in a 4–0 win at The Hawthorns on 29 October 2016.
- He continued his run of form by scoring twice against Barcelona in a 3–1 win at home in the group stages of the Champions League.
- On 14 December, in a Premier League match against Watford, Gundogan was substituted in the 44th minute with knee ligament damage, with Guardiola stating he would be out injured for several months.
- It was later confirmed that Gundogan tore his cruciate ligaments in his right knee and would miss the remainder of the season.
- On 16 September 2017, Gundogan made his first appearance for Manchester City in nine months, appearing as a substitute in the team’s 6–0 Premier League win at Watford.
- Three months later, he scored his first goal of the season with a header, assisted by Leroy Sané, which gave City the lead in a 4–1 win against Tottenham Hotspur.
- On 13 February 2018, he scored a brace, one goal in each half, as City routed FC Basel 4–0 in the away leg of their round of sixteen tie in the Champions League.
- On 4 March, he set two Premier League passing records in a 1–0 home win over Chelsea: those for most passes attempted (174) and most passes completed (167) in a single match; the previous holder of both records had been his club teammate Yaya Toure, who completed 157 passes from 168 attempts against Stoke City in December 2011.
- In August 2019, he signed a new four-year contract with Manchester City.
- On 21 September 2020, Gundogan tested positive for COVID-19, meaning he would have to self-isolate for ten days.
- This was announced on the same day that Manchester City’s first game of the season against Wolverhampton Wanderers was to be played.
- He scored his first Premier League goal of the season on 15 December 2020 in a 1–1 home draw against West Bromwich Albion.
- On 7 February 2021, he scored a brace in a 4–1 away league win over Liverpool, sealing City’s first win at Anfield since 2003.
- In February 2021, he received Premier League Player of the Month for his outstanding performances throughout January.
- On 12 March 2021, he received the Premier League Player of the Month for a second consecutive month, with four goals and one assist in five games.
- In doing so, he became the first player for Manchester City to win back-to-back awards for the club.
- He ended the season as Manchester City’s highest goalscorer of the premier league season with 13 goals.
- On 22 May 2022, he scored two goals in a 3–2 victory against Aston Villa on the final day of the 2021–22 season, to make Manchester City the 2021-22 Premier League victors on the final day.
- After years of playing for different youth teams, Gundogan received his first call-up to the Germany senior team in August 2011 for a friendly match against Brazil but did not feature in the game.
- In a UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying match at the Esprit Arena, Dusseldorf, he made his debut for Germany after coming on as a substitute for captain Philipp Lahm for the final six minutes.
- UEFA Euro 2012 manager Joachim Low selected him for the German 23-man squad and gave him the number two shirt.
- Gundogan did not play in the semi-finals for Germany.
- At the Grundig Stadion, Nuremberg, Gundogan scored his first goal for Germany against Kazakhstan on 26 March 2013.
- Against Paraguay, Germany came from 0–2 down to draw 3–3 at the Fritz-Walter-Stadion, Kaiserslautern, where he scored his second goal.
- After this match, he suffered a back injury that ruled him out for an entire year, missing the 2014 World Cup that Germany won.
- On 25 March 2015, Gundogan returned to international football in a 2–2 friendly against Australia.
- On 14 June 2015, he scored 7–0 against Gibraltar, and on 7 September 2015, he scored 3–2 against Scotland at Hampden Park.
- Injury prevented Gundogan from participating in the Euro 2016 final stages on 6 May 2016.
- In May 2018, the preliminary squad for the 2018 World Cup in Russia was announced.
- Gundogan was selected for Joachim Low’s final 23-man World Cup squad on 4 June 2018.
- UEFA Euro 2020 squad selection was announced on 19 May 2019.
Style Of Play
Klopp, Gundogan’s former coach at Borussia Dortmund, called him an “intelligent and complete midfielder with numerous strengths.” While Gundogan admitted that things didn’t go as well as expected at Dortmund, his “willingness to learn” and “great attitude” allowed him to play a pivotal role in Dortmund’s early years in the role of deep-lying playmaker.
Using a combination of creativity and outstanding passing, as well as defensive qualities and tireless energy, he was able to fit into Dortmund’s explosive playing style. Initially, Gundogan was deployed as a wide midfielder for Dortmund but later took on a more central role. “I came to the conclusion that playing wide wasn’t my strength. I feel fine playing as a defensive midfielder or central midfielder, but I can also hold my own as a playmaker,” he said.
According to Philip Rober in a 2016 UEFA profile, Gundogan excels in possession-based teams. As a holding midfielder at Manchester City, Gundogan displayed his versatility, vision, work rate, and technical skills.
As a result of his ability to circulate possession and create space for other players, he drew praise in the media even though he was not as productive statistically as his midfield teammates. His career has been plagued by injuries, despite his ability.
Facts About Ilkay Gundogan
- The cousin of Gundogan, Naz Aydemir, is a volleyball player for Fenerbahce and the Turkish women’s national team.
- Gundogan met Recep Tayyip Erdogan in May 2018 with fellow English-based, German-born players of Turkish origin Mesut Ozil and Cenk Tosun.
- It was criticized that Gundogan called the statesman “my president” despite being a German citizen.
- Gundogan was jeered by German fans weeks after the incident when he played for the national team.
- Turkish international Cenk Tosun declared his support for Turkish soldiers involved in the Turkish offensive into northeastern Syria against Kurdish forces on Instagram following a 1–0 home win over Albania in a Euro 2020 qualifier.
- Initially, both Emre Can and Gundogan liked the post; however, they later removed their likes.
- “I took the like back when I saw that it was deemed political,” Gundogan said, adding: “After what happened last year, the last thing I wanted was to make a political statement.”
- In conclusion, he said: “What is true is that I am happy for my former Germany U21 teammate.”
Where is Ilkay Gundogan from?
What age is Ilkay Gundogan?
33 years (October 24, 1990)
What position is Ilkay Gundogan?
Why is Ilkay Gundogan called by Mr. Whippy?
Guardiola has pushed Gundogan forward in recent months and the calmness of his personality shines through around the box. Nothing is rushed. One Twitter account nicknamed him Mr. Whippy after his curling 20-yard strike into Crystal Palace’s top corner three months back.
Ilkay Gundogan’s biography teaches us that we need to mentally prepare for life’s challenges. Moreover, it is normal for aspiring footballers to encounter roadblocks on the way to becoming professionals. Ilkay Gundogan’s parents prepared him for life by being doggedly persistent.
In the story, the German was able to overcome many rejections by strengthening his character and lowering his expectations.
During the process of writing Ilkay Gundogan’s bio, we discovered something about him – one of his most prominent characteristics. It is nothing other than his forgiving spirit. Despite coming from a humble family, the footballer has shown us that he has a great attitude.
Here Is An Appreciation Note For Your Consideration
Thank you for reading this engaging article about the life journey of the German midfielder. Hopefully, Ilkay Gundogan’s childhood story has made you believe that patience and persistence can overcome anything.
At WoodGram, we strive for fairness and accuracy in our biographies. Feel free to contact us or leave a comment below if you found anything fishy in this article on Ilkay Gundogan.