Elisabeth Moss is an American television, film, and stage actress. She is famously known for her appearances in television sequence ‘The West Wing’ and ‘Mad Men.’ Born in Los Angeles, California, to artist parents, she grew up aspiring to be a performer and professional dancer. She relocated to New York City to raise as a ballet dancer and attended classes for the same. Soon, she started to land offers for acting and received to balance both education and career from a very young age. Being homeschooled, she graduated before most of her fellows.
Meanwhile, she also performed in various television and film roles. She performed in seven seasons of the television political drama ‘The West Wing’ where she performed the role of the president’s daughter. Her other major character was as ‘Peggy Olson’ in the ‘AMC’ series ‘Mad Men.’ In 2014, she won a ‘Golden Globe Award’ for her appearance in the miniseries ‘Top of the Lake.’ She earned the ‘Primetime Emmy Award’ for ‘Outstanding Lead Actress’ for her character as a handmaid in ‘The Handmaid’s Tale.’
Elisabeth Moss Wiki/Bio
|Birth Name||Elisabeth Singleton Moss|
|Age||(as in 2023) 41 Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Leo|
|Birth Place||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Date of Birth||24 July 1982|
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Home Town||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Mother’s Name||Linda Moss (Musician)|
|Father’s Name||Ronald Charles Moss (Musician)|
|Brother||Derek Moss (Younger)|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||Adam Arkapaw (2012-2015)|
Marital Status, Husband and Children
|Husband/Spouse||Fred Armisen (2008-2011)|
|Marriage Date||25 October 2009|
from high school two years early in 1999, at the age of 16
|Profession||Actress, Film Producer|
|Brands Endorsed||• Excedrin (2005)|
• Secret Platinum (2005)
• Telecharge.com (2015) (as a part of ‘The Heidi Chronicles’)
|Career Manager||• Sharon Jackson, Esther Chang William, Talent Agent, William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Beverly Hills, California, U.S.|
• Sarah Camlett, Talent Agent, Independent Talent Group, London, UK
• Gay Ribisi, Manager, Ribisi Entertainment Group, Los Angeles, U.S.
• Jamie O’Hara, Talent Agent Commercial, William Morris Endeavor (WME) Entertainment, Beverly Hills, California, U.S.
• Erica Gray and Sara Planco, Publicists, Viewpoint, Beverly Hills, California, U.S.
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 160 cm|
in meters- 1.60 m
in feet inches- 5’3”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 53 kg|
in pounds- 117 lbs
|Breast Size||35 inches|
|Hips Size||36 inches|
|Waist Size||28 inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||White|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown (Natural)|
|Dress Size||6 (US)|
|Shoe Size||7 (US)|
|Favorite Food||Chocolate, sweets, candy, ice-cream|
|Favorite Books||Anything by Salinger|
Elisabeth Moss was born and grown in Los Angeles, California, the daughter of Ron and Linda Moss, both of whom were artists; her mother plays jazz and blues harmonica professionally. Moss has one younger brother. She was raised a Scientologist. Her father is English. Her mother is of part Swedish origin.
Initially, Moss had ambitions of becoming a professional dancer. In her youth, she moved to New York City to study ballet at the School of American Ballet, after which she studied with Suzanne Farrell at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. Moss proceeded to study dance during her teenage years but started obtaining acting characters as well. In order to manage her education and career, she started homeschooling and graduated in 1999 at age sixteen.
Elisabeth Moss Net Worth and Salary
Elisabeth Moss has a net worth of $30 million.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||$30 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$20 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||Under Review|
|Annual Salary||Under Review|
|Income Source||Actress, Film Producer|
What was Elisabeth Moss’s salary per episode on Mad Men? At her top of the series, she was earning $75,000 per episode. For the first year of The Handmaid’s Tale, she received $175,000 per episode. She now earns $1 million per episode.
Thanks largely to her character in Handmaid and her executive producer work behind the scenes, Elisabeth earned $24 million between September 2018 and September 2019. That was enough to make her one of the 10 highest-paid actresses in the world.
Elisabeth Moss Movies And TV Shows
- She started her acting career at the age of eight. Her first screen character was in the ‘NBC’ miniseries ‘Lucky/Chances’ (1990).
- From 1992 to 1995, she emerged as ‘Cynthia Parks’ in seven episodes of the TV series ‘Picket Fences.’ She also sounded ‘Holly DeCarlo’ in the TV special ‘Frosty Returns’ (1992). In 1993, she sounded ‘Michelle’ in the animated film ‘Once upon a Forest.’
- In 1993, she performed in the televised version of the film ‘Gypsy.’ She then performed the character of Harvey Keitel’s on-screen daughter in the film ‘Imaginary Crimes’ (1994).
- In 1995, she emerged in ‘Escape to Witch Mountain,’ a remake of the ‘Walt Disney’ film. She also performed a character in the television biopic ‘Love Can Build a Bridge.’ She then performed a supporting character in the drama ‘Separate Lives,’ and a small character in the black comedy film ‘The Last Supper.’
- In 1995, she sounded ‘Kathy’ in the animated TV series ‘Freakazoid!’ The following year, she sounded a role in the animated TV special ‘It’s Spring Training, Charlie Brown.’
- Having settled herself as a child actor, she aspired to become a professional dancer as well. Hence, she moved to New York City during her teens and attended the ‘School of American Ballet.’ Later, she also read with Suzanne Farrell at the ‘Kennedy Center’ in Washington, D.C.
- She was a focused student and excelled in studies. She continued her acting responsibilities and dance lessons throughout her youth. In order to balance her education and career, she chose to be homeschooled and graduated in 1999.
- In 1999, Elisabeth Moss started performing ‘Zoey Bartlet,’ one of her most distinguished characters, in the television series ‘The West Wing.’ Her character holds the center position in the plot during the fourth season of the show. The series finale was aired in 2006.
- In 1999, she performed the supporting character of a mental institution patient in James Mangold’s ‘Girl, Interrupted.’ The same year, she also performed a small character in the drama film ‘Anywhere but Here,’ and then performed a minor character in the movie ‘Mumford.’
- In 2003, she performed a supporting character in Ron Howard’s revisionist western thriller ‘The Missing.’ She also appeared in the movie ‘V*rgin’ for which she received an ‘Independent Spirit Award’ nomination. She also emerged in ‘Heart of America’ and a few other films in the early-2000s.
- She then went on to perform in several television series. From 2005 to 2006, she performed a supporting character in the horror series ‘Invasion.’ In 2007, she appeared in an episode titled ‘My Favorite Mistake’ in ‘Grey’s Anatomy.’ She then performed in the series ‘Medium.’
- In 2007, she also performed in Mary Lambert’s horror film ‘The Attic,’ and the independent drama ‘Day Zero.’
- The same year, she began appearing in a prominent role in AMC’s period drama television series ‘Mad Men’ (2007-2015). In the series, she performed the role of ‘Peggy Olson,’ a secretary-turned-copywriter in an advertising agency in Madison Avenue, New York City. Her appearance as ‘Peggy’ earned her several awards and nominations.
- Meanwhile, in October 2008, she did her Broadway introduction in the 20th-anniversary revival of ‘Speed-the-Plow’ by David Mamet.
- In 2009, she emerged in the comedy ‘Did You Hear About the Morgans?’ performing the character of Sarah Jessica Parker‘s on-screen associate. The following year, she emerged in the comedy film ‘Get Him to the Greek.’
- In 2011, she made her ‘West End’ debut as ‘Martha Dobie’ in Lillian Hellman’s play ‘The Children’s Hour.’ The following year, she acted as ‘Galatea Dunkel’ in the independent drama film ‘On the Road,’ which was based on Jack Kerouac’s novel of the same name.
- In 2013, she performed the character of detective ‘Robin Griffin’ in the ‘Sundance Channel’ miniseries ‘Top of the Lake.’ For her appearance, she earned the ‘Golden Globe Award’ for ‘Best Actress.’ The following year, she starred in ‘Listen up Philip.’
- In March 2015, she emerged as ‘Heidi Holland’ in a Broadway titled ‘The Heidi Chronicles.’ Although she received a ‘Tony Award’ nomination for her appearance, the play closed earlier than anticipated due to low ticket sales.
- In 2015, she performed a madwoman in the psychological thriller ‘Queen of Earth’ which was co-produced and directed by Alex Ross Perry. The same year, she also emerged in a supporting character in the British dystopian thriller drama ‘High-Rise.’
- In 2016, she emerged in the biographical sports drama film ‘Chuck.’ The following year, she performed ‘Angie Wood’ in a biopic of Scottish psychiatrist R. D. Laing titled ‘Mad to be Normal.’
- In 2017, Moss began playing ‘June Osborne’ in the dystopian drama series ‘The Handmaid’s Tale.’ For her character in the series, she received public acclaim and many prestigious awards and nominations.
- In 2018, she emerged in critically acclaimed movies, such as ‘Her Smell’ and ‘The Old Man & the Gun.’ The same year, she also presented ‘Masha’ in ‘The Seagull,’ an adaptation of Anton Chekhov’s play.
- In 2019, she played outstanding roles in films like ‘Light of My Life,’ ‘Us,’ and ‘The Kitchen.’ The same year, she was cast to play important characters in films, such as ‘The French Dispatch’ and ‘The Invisible Man.’
|1993||Once Upon a Forest|
The Last Supper
|1997||A Thousand Acres|
Anywhere but Here
|2002||West of Here|
Heart of America
They Never Found Her
New Orleans, Mon Amour
|2009||Did You Hear About the Morgans?|
|2010||A Buddy Story|
Get Him to the Greek
|2011||Green Lantern: Emerald Knights|
On the Road
|2014||Listen Up Philip|
The One I Love
|2015||Queen of Earth|
|2016||The Free World|
|2017||Mad to Be Normal|
The Old Man & the Gun
|2019||Light of My Life|
The Invisible Man
The French Dispatch
|2021||Next Goal Wins|
TV Shows & Serials List
|1991||Prison Stories: Women on the Inside|
Anything but Love
|1993||Batman: The Animated Series|
|1995||Escape to Witch Mountain|
Naomi & Wynonna: Love Can Build a Bridge
|1996||It’s Spring Training, Charlie Brown|
|1999–2006||The West Wing|
|2003 ||The Practice|
|2005||Law & Order: Trial by Jury|
|2006||Law & Order: Criminal Intent|
Saturday Night Live
|2013, 2017||Top of the Lake|
|2017–present||The Handmaid’s Tale|
Personal Life and Scientology
In 2009 Moss married musician and Saturday Night Live comedian Fred Armisen. The two had met the year before when Mad Men costar Jon Hamm hosted Saturday Night Live and Moss sought him for several skits. But after just eight months of marriage, Moss and Armisen split ways.
Moss believes her lifelong belief in Scientology in helping navigate the ups and downs of Hollywood. “I feel it has given me reason and confidence that I am not sure that I would have undoubtedly had,” she says. “In my line of work I am usually in very stressful conditions, in which you would often get totally nervous or clam up — you know, going on stage in front of 2,000 people. It’s utilized philosophy. And L. Ron Hubbard clearly believed, and as Scientologists, we believe, that the arts include the spirit of life into our culture.”
- She aspired to be a ballerina and studied at the School of American Ballet in New York and at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC.
- She got her first Emmy award in 2017 (for her work in The Handmaid’s Tale) notwithstanding being nominated for 7 times before that (6 times for Mad Men and once for miniseries Top of the Lake).
- Moss graduated from high school 2 years early.
- She goes to Disneyland every year.
- Elisabeth received ballet training along with Suzanne Farrell when she was at Kennedy Center.
Though She Was The Main Actress In Mad Men, She Wasn’t Type Cast As Much As Jon Hamm With Don Draper. Her Character Is Quite Moldable To Fit Comfortably Into Many Roles. Julia Louis-Dreyfus Proved Very Well With Her Career Too. From SNL To Seinfeld To The New Adventures Of Old Christine To Her Highly Prosperous HBO Comedy Series, Veep. When You’re Talented, (Pretty) And Diverse, You Can Keep A Long Career.
People Are Surprisingly Adept At Recognizing Cognitive Dissonance And Display Of The “Other”, Members Of Other Political Parties, Other Religious Organizations, Other Tribes, But Seldom Turn That Intellectual Power Inward. If You’re Watching The Handmaid’s Tale, You Are Expected To Ask Yourself What Inhumanity You’ve Ignored, How Few Steps Lie In Between Our World And That Of Gilead. Moss’s Religious Affiliation Is Irrelevant, And Frankly, No Less Legitimate Than Your Own.
Scientology Is A Nut Job Group And Should Be Avoided At All Times.
Throughout Season One, Her Character Unknowingly Becomes Pregnant. Moss Did Not Gain Any Weight For The Role, However, But Wore Increasingly Bigger Padding, Along With A Fat Suit, And Makeup Artists Used Prosthetics To Make Her Face And Neck Appear Fat And Swollen.