Diya Mirza is a well-known Indian model, actress, and producer. She was the winner of the Miss Asia Pacific 2000 title. Mirza has predominantly recognized for her remarkable work in Hindi movies as well as in Bengali movies. She made her film debut with Rehnaa Hai Terre Dil Mein in 2001.
Dia Mirza was born as Dia Handrich in a Catholic family on 9 December 1981 in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. Her father’s name is Frank Handrich, a graphics and industrial fair designer, architect, artist, and interior designer based in Munich, and her father’s name is Deepa, a Bengali interior designer, and landscaper. When she was 4 years old, her parents got divorced. Her mother, Deepa got married to Ahmed Mirza, who died in 2003. She took her step-father’s surname.
She was once rumored to be in a relationship with Vashu Bhagnani (film producer), Salman Khan, musician Bunty Sachdeva, and Kunal Kapoor (actor). Dia got married to Sahil Sangha (a businessman & film producer) on 18 October 2014.
Dia Mirza Wiki/Bio[table id=2375 /]
Dia Mirza completed her schooling at Vidyaranya High School in Hyderabad and Nasr School in Hyderabad. She has also attended Stanley Girls High School, Hyderabad. She got a Bachelor of Arts degree from Ambedkar Open University, Hyderabad.
While studying in school, she used to work as a marketing executive for a multimedia firm called Neeraj’s Multi-media Studio. Together, Dia worked as a model for brands including Lipton, Walk ice cream, and Emami. Dia participated in Femina Miss India in 2000, where she was the winner of Miss Avon, Miss Beautiful Smile, and Miss Close-Up Smile, and also became the 2nd runner up at the pageant. Afterward, Dia was sent to Miss Asia Pacific, where she won the pageant, completing the hat-trick of win of India in the international beauty pageants in the year 2000.
Dia Mirza Net Worth
Dia Mirza has an estimated net worth of $5 Million.[table id=2373 /]
- In 2015, a fight of words emitted between BJP MP Dia MirzaMeenakshi Lekhi and over the issue of RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat’s remark that transformation to Christianity was the main reason behind Mother Teresa’s service to the poor people.
- During the ongoing CAA protest in India in 2019, She expressed her opinions on the subject and said, “My mother is a Hindu, my biological father was a Christian, my adopted father – a Muslim. In all official documents, my religious status stays blank. Does religion determine I am an Indian? It never did and I hope it never does. #OneIndia #India”. However, this did not go well with the netizens, and they lashed out at her; claiming that she didn’t have any knowledge of the act and was trying to act smart.
- After Dia’s name arrived in some reports, which claimed that drug peddlers took her name during the inquiry by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), which was probing Bollywood drug row in connection with Sushant Singh Rajput’s death case in 2020.
Dia Mirza made her debut in Rehnaa Hai Terre Dil Mein, which failed to do well at the box office, though it formed a cult following among Indian youth. She then performed in films including Deewanapan, Dum, Tumko Na Bhool Paayenge, Parineeta, Tumsa Nahin Dekha – A Love Story, Dus, Lage Raho Munnabhai, and Salam Mumbai. Dia appeared as Sanjay Dutt’s wife Manyata Dutt in the biopic Sanju, which ranks among the highest-grossing Indian films in 2018.
Dia Mirza appeared in the ZEE5 web series Kaafir. Set in Kashmir, she was cast opposite Mohit Raina in the series. She was awarded the Dada Saheb Phalke International Film Festival Awards 2020 for her performance in Kaafir.
Dia started Born Free Entertainment, a production house along with her ex-husband Sahil Sangha in 2011. She has also produced Love Breakups Zindagi, Bobby Jasoos, and a sitcom web series titled Mind the Malhotras, streaming on Amazon Prime Video. The series stars Cyrus Sahukar and Mini Mathur in the lead. In December 2019 2011 announced she was forming a new production house “One India Stories” to build original content.[table id=2374 /]
Facts About Dia Mirza
- Mirza’s mother was against Dia participating in the Miss India contest because she desired Dia to study in a law school in Bangalore. But, her step-father convinced her mother to let her compete in the contest.
- Dia first appeared in Babul Supriyo and Alka Yagnik‘s song Khoya Khoya Chand, opposite Akashdeep Saigal in 2000.
- Mirza also appeared in the Tamil movie En Swasa Kaatre in 2000.
- Over the years, She has evolved as a social activist, working for different social causes. She has been associated Cancer Patients Aid Association, the Spastics Society of India, CRY, PETA, and NDTV Greenathon and has served with the government of Andhra Pradesh to expand awareness about HIV and the prevention of female foeticide.
- Dia adopted 2 cheetah cubs at the Prince of Wales zoological park in Lucknow in 2010.
- She, along with Aamir Khan came out simply in support of Narmada Bachao Andolan.
- On 5 June 2017, on the event of World Environment Day, Dia was selected as the Brand Ambassador of the Wildlife Trust of India (WTI). Dia has lent her support to WTI in their campaigns and is also one of the founding members of the Club Nature initiative of WTI.
- She has endorsed the brand The Body Shop for its leadership on the ban on animal testing and propagation of recycled packaging and natural products.
- Dia has also been selected as the eco ambassador for Panasonic, ambassador for Swachh Bharat Mission’s youth-based Swachh Saathi event, first artist ambassador for Save The Children India, and UN Environment’s Goodwill Ambassador for India.
Dia Mirza any day. A beautiful face coupled with those large expressive eyes, only adds to the allure.
Dia Mirza, who is busy producing films these days, says that she was not happy with the scripts that were being offered to her and that is the reason why she has not signed any Bollywood film.
Dia Mirza said “Once my mother fell unconscious. I called Salman since he stays close to my house. It was with his help that I was able to rush my mother to the hospital. The doctor later told us that had we not to got my mother admitted within those 15 minutes, she would have had very little chance of survival. I’m eternally grateful to Salman and will stand by him no matter what”.
The idea of the flying helicopter was offered by Dia Mirza (In an interview by Vidhu Vinod Chopra). This is why she is mentioned in the “Special Thanks To” section in Credits.