Denzel Washington is an Academy award-winning actor, director, and producer best known for his roles in ‘Glory’, ‘Malcolm X’, and ‘The Hurricane’. As an actor, he is known for his affinity for taking on challenging roles and characterize them to perfection. Growing up in a predominantly African-American suburb, young Denzel had witnessed many of his friends take up the track of drugs, crime, and violence. He is positive that he too would have ended up like them had it not been for his mother, a poor single parent, who sent him to Oakland Military Academy to learn some discipline.
Determined to make something noble of his life, the boy completed high school and studied journalism before embarking on a professional acting career. He got his first big break when he was chosen to play the role of Dr. Philip Chandler in the NBC medical drama series, ‘St. Elsewhere’. He played several minor roles in films before ‘Cry Freedom’ happened in 1987. His portrayal of anti-apartheid social activist Steve Biko established him as a talented character actor. More challenging roles followed and the actor went on to earn several Academy award nominations, winning two of them. He frequently collaborated with producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Tony Scott.
- Bryce Dallas Howard Bio, Age, Husband, Net Worth, Movies & Wiki
- Jackie Chan Bio, Age, Height, Wife, Son, Net Worth, Movies & Wiki
|Birth Name||Denzel Hayes Washington Jr.|
|Age||(as in 2022) 68 years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Capricorn|
|Birth Place||Mount Vernon, New York, United States|
|Date of Birth||28 December 1954|
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Home Town||Mount Vernon, New York|
|Mother's Name||Lennis Lynne Washington (Beautician and operator)|
|Father's Name||Denzel Washington, Sr. (Denzel’s father served as a Pentecostal Minister, worked for the Water Department and at a local department store)|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Sanaa Lathan – There were RUMORs that linked Denzel with an American actress Sanaa Lathan. It was RUMORED that the two had an encounter at a bar in Los Angeles and they finished together in bed.|
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Marriage Date||25 June 1983|
|Children||Son- John David (born April 23, 1983)|
Malcolm (born April 10 1991)
Daughters- Katia (born November 27 1987)
Olivia (born April 10 1991)
|School||Pennington-Grimes Elementary School in Mount Vernon, New York|
akland Military Academy in Oakland, New Jersey
Mainland High School in Daytona Beach in Florida
|College/University||University of Texas|
University of Fordham
|Educational Qualification||Graduated in drama and journalism|
|Profession||Actor, movie producer|
|Brands Endorsed||Denzel appeared in a TV commercial for Boys/Girls Clubs of America in 1996.|
|Career Manager||William Morris Endeavor Entertainment|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 185cm|
in meters- 1.85 m
in feet inches- 6’1”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 80 kg|
in pounds- 176 lbs
|Chest Size||42 Inches|
|Hips Size||40 Inches|
|Waist Size||36 Inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Black|
|Specialities||Scar above his right eye, on his eyebrow.|
Very often plays military commanders.
|Shoe Size||11 (US) or 10 (UK) or 45 (EU)|
|Favourite Rappers||Eminem, Jay-Z, NAS|
|Favourite Actors||Chiwetel Ejiofor, Idris Elba|
|Favourite TV Show||Monk (2002-2009)|
|Controversies||There was a controversy about the movie “The Hurricane” in which he played the role of the “triple murder convicted” boxer “Rubin Hurricane”. A former reporter was angry about the ending as “Hurricane’s” sentence was overturned after 20 years which wrongly shows him innocent. There was a campaign against the whole thing.|
Denzel must be convincing in the role! He received a Golden Globe Award in 2000 and a Silver Bear Award at the Berlin International Film Festival for the role.
Denzel Washington was born to Denzel Hayes Washington Sr., a Pentecostal minister, and Lennis, a beautician. He has two siblings. He attended Pennington-Grimes Elementary School until 1968. His parents divorced when he was 14 and he began to get involved in street violence. In order to instill some discipline in him, his mother sent him to Oakland Military Academy.
He went to Fordham University upon graduating from high school and earned a B.A. in Drama and Journalism in 1977. He realized his love for acting after working as a creative arts director at a summer camp. He attended American Conservatory Theatre, San Francisco, for one year before returning to New York.
Washington married actress Pauletta Pearson in 1983; they have four children. Their oldest son, John David, was drafted in 2006 by the NFL’s St. Louis Rams and pursued a career in professional football, before following his dad’s footsteps into acting. Their other children are daughter Katia and twins Olivia and Malcolm.
- Zoe Saldana Bio, Age, Height, Husband, Net Worth, Movies & Wiki
- Cicely Tyson Bio, Age, Children, Net Worth, Movies, TV Shows & Wiki
Denzel Washington Net Worth
Denzel Washington has a net worth of $250 million.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022||$250 million|
|Previous Year's Net Worth (2021)||Under Review|
|Annual Salary||$60-$80 million|
|Income Source||Actor, movie producer|
Every year Denzel Washington earns $60-$80 million dollars. Washington’s star rose quickly as he showed off his incredible talent in movies like Malcolm X, The Pelican Brief, Philadelphia, and Courage Under Fire. He was soon earning major paychecks for his movie performances. In 1995, he took home $7.5 million for the science fiction film Virtuosity.
The 1998 films Fallen and The Siege, along with his Oscar-winning performance in 2001’s Training Day, earned him a cool $12 million each. Today Denzel Washington earns upwards of $60 million every year. Denzel scored an Oscar nomination that year for Flight, a 2012 movie that made bank at the box office. The film made $162 million worldwide on a budget of just $31 million, according to Forbes. The outlet placed him 9th on its list of the highest-paid actors that year.
Denzel Washington Movies And TV Shows
- Washington made his feature film debut in the comedy A Carbon Copy (1981). He also appeared in a number of off-Broadway productions and in television movies before being cast in a starring role in the hit television medical drama St. Elsewhere (1982–88).
- Washington grabbed his first of five Oscar nominations for Cry Freedom (1987), playing real-life South African apartheid martyr Steve Biko. He later won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Glory (1989).
- Washington showed in many notable films throughout the 1990s, including Spike Lee collaborations like the jazz outing Mo’ Better Blues (1990) and biopic Malcolm X (1992), for which he was nominated for an Oscar.
- Other projects from this era included The Pelican Brief (1993), Philadelphia (1993), Crimson Tide (1995), Courage Under Fire (1996) and The Hurricane (1999), for which he received a Golden Globe for best actor and another Oscar nomination.
- In 2001, Washington received his second Oscar (this time in a leading role) for the cop thriller Training Day. The following year, he directed his first film, the biographical drama Antwone Fisher, in which he also co-starred.
- Several hits followed, including Man on Fire (2004), The Manchurian Candidate (2004), and Lee’s Inside Man (2006), which co-starred Jodie Foster and Clive Owen.
- Washington once again stepped behind the camera for the historical The Great Debaters (2007), which profiled a winning African-American debate team.
- That same year, he portrayed Frank Lucas, a real-life heroin kingpin from Harlem, in American Gangster, opposite Russell Crowe.
- In 2009, Washington starred as MTA Dispatcher Walter Garber in the remake of the classic film The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, opposite John Travolta.
- Continuing to explore a range of roles, Washington starred in the 2010 futuristic tale The Book of Eli. That same year, he won a Tony Award for his work in Fences, a revival of the August Wilson classic drama.
- He landed a $20 million payday for the 2012 action-thriller Safe House, in which he played a CIA agent gone rogue, and the film grossed more than $200 million worldwide.
- Washington also headlined the comparatively low-budget drama Flight in 2012, earning accolades and his sixth Oscar nomination for his performance as a pilot with substance abuse problems. He then teamed up with Mark Wahlberg for the 2013 crime drama 2 Guns and scored another action hit in 2014 with The Equalizer.
- In early 2016, Washington received the Cecil B. DeMille Award from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association at its annual Golden Globe telecast. Later that year, he directed and starred in the film adaptation of Fences. For his on-screen role in the film, he was nominated for a Golden Globe and an Oscar for Best Actor.
- The following year, Washington was credited with helping to hold together the uneven Roman J. Israel, Esq., earning Golden Globe and Oscar nods for Best Actor. In July 2018, Washington reprised his Equalizer role for its sequel, The Equalizer 2.
|1981 ||Carbon Copy|
|1984||A Soldier's Story|
|1987 ||Cry Freedom|
|1988||For Queen and Country|
|1989||The Mighty Quinn|
Mo' Better Blues
|1992 ||Malcolm X|
|1993||Much Ado About Nothing|
The Pelican Brief
Devil in a Blue Dress
|1996||Courage Under Fire|
The Preacher's Wife
He Got Game
|1999||The Bone Collector|
|2000||Remember the Titans|
|2001 ||Training Day|
|2002 ||John Q.|
|2003||Out of Time|
|2004||Man on Fire|
The Manchurian Candidate
The Great Debaters
|2009 ||The Taking of Pelham 123|
|2010||The Book of Eli|
|2016||The Magnificent Seven|
|2017||Roman J. Israel, Esq.|
|2018||The Equalizer 2|
|2020 ||Ma Rainey's Black Bottom|
|2021 ||The Little Things|
|Yet Not To Be Released||The Tragedy of Macbeth|
TV Shows & Serials List
|1977||The Wilma Rudolph Story |
|1979 ||Flesh & Blood|
|1984 ||License to Kill|
|1986||The George McKenna Story |
Liberators: Fighting on Two Fronts in World War II
|1995||Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child|
|1997||Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child|
- Denzel’s parents divorced when he was 14.
- He played basketball as a guard, while he was in college and his coach was P.J. Carlesimo.
- His son Malcolm was named after Malcolm X.
- In 1990, he was named one of the 50 most Beautiful People in the World by People’s Magazine.
- In 1996, Denzel received the Harvard Foundation Award.
- He has often collaborated with Spike Lee.
- Denzel has worn a military uniform in six movies.
- In 1996, Denzel was chosen as the Sexiest Man Alive by People’s Magazine.
- Denzel is good friends with well-known actress Julia Roberts.
- His mother was a former Gospel singer.
- Every summer, he and his family go on a vacation to Italy.
- In 2006, he donated one million dollars to the Save Africa’s Children foundation.
- Denzel named Angelina Jolie, Dakota Fanning, and Gene Hackman, as the most talented actors he worked with.
- Rita Pearson is his sister-in-law.
- Washington and “The Script” tried to come together for a project combining music and Hollywood. The project couldn’t get much mainstream attention because of legal conflicts between the parties.
- He received a Tony Award for Best Actor in a Play for playing Troy Maxson, opposite Viola Davis in the play August Wilson’s Fences.
- He also received Tony Award for Best Revival of a Play in 2014 for reviving Lorraine Hansberry’s classic drama A Raisin in the Sun.
- Denzel donated US$2.5 million to help build the new West Angeles Church of God in Christ facility in Los Angeles in 1995. He is a devout Christian and reads Bible daily. He donated US$1 million each to Nelson Mandela’s Children’s Fund and Wiley College to resuscitate the college’s debate team.
- He met his wife on the sets of his first acting project Wilma.
- Denzel Washington was one of the three people, along with directors Oliver Stone and Michael Moore, with the home they were willing to negotiate for the release of three defense contractors.
- He received three honorary doctorate degrees from Fordham University, University of Pennsylvania, and Morehouse college. He donated US$ 250,000 to Fordham College.
Did Denzel Washington Play Phantom Of The Opera In 2005?
Denzel Washington Did Not Play The Phantom Of The Opera.
Is Denzel Washington The Highest Paid Actor?
Five Of The Stars Nominated In The Acting Categories Have Appeared On Forbes’ Rankings Of Highest-paid Entertainers. Together, They Have Earned A Combined $640 Million Pretax. Leading The Pack Is Denzel Washington, Who Is Nominated For Best Actor In The August Wilson Play-adaptation Fences.
Was Denzel Washington In The Military?
Denzel Washington: A Cinematic Soldier. Washington’s Illustrious Career Of Military Service In Film Began 12 Years Ago As A Private In “A Soldier’s Story.” Then He Played A Testy Solider In “Glory.” Next, An Executive Officer, Lieutenant Commander, Aboard A Submarine In “Crimson Tide.”
Does Denzel Washington Have A Degree?
Denzel Washington’s Education. Denzel Washington Graduated From High School In 1973, And Went To College At Fordham University In New York City, A Private University Founded In 1841. I’m Eternally Grateful To Fordham University For Giving Me That Opportunity.” He Earned A B.A. Theater Of Arts In The Summer Of 1977.