David de Gea is a Spanish professional footballer, who plays for Manchester United and the Spanish national team. He is often regarded as the best goalkeeper in the world. Since joining ‘Manchester United’ in 2011, he has appeared in nearly three hundred games. David has played a crucial role in his team becoming one of the most competitive teams in “the Premier League.” A Madrid native, David began playing football as a youngster and joined ‘Atletico Madrid’ at the age of 13.
It wasn’t until 2009 that he was selected for the senior team, and he hasn’t looked back. In 2010, he played a major role in his team’s triumphs at both the UEFA Super Cup and the Europa League. Since the 2013–2014 season, he has been voted the ‘Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year’ three times. In doing so, he became the first football player to achieve that honor in the history of the sport. He has won two European Championships with the national junior team in 2011 and 2013, as well as playing for the senior team since 2014.
David de Gea Wiki/ Bio[table id=2615 /]
David de Gea was born in Madrid, Spain, on November 7, 1990. José, Jose’s father, was also a goalkeeper, and Marivi, his mother, was a housekeeper. His parents were married for many years before having David, their only child. The couple had David when they were in their forties.
David was interested in sports, but his mother insisted that he also pay attention to schoolwork. As a result, David excelled in both of the departments, and football gradually became his first love. David was fortunate to take advantage of the best training facilities thanks to his father, who was a former footballer.
Although David has grown into a promising goalkeeper, he was originally an outfield player. His childhood coach commented that he was fast and had a keen eye for talent when he was playing outfield. His school team was composed of midfielders. Furthermore, he excelled in every position, as an attacking or defensive player, until he was 14 when he realized his love of goalkeeping.
As a goalkeeper, he did his absolute best. He decided to improve his goalkeeping skills by drawing inspiration from his father. As a kid, he was tall, and he enjoyed playing basketball. As a youngster, he joined ‘Atletico Madrid,’ which marked the beginning of his professional soccer career. He played well over the years and finally ended up with a professional contract at the age of 17.
David de Gea is in a relationship with the famous singer Edurne Garcia Almagro, who is five years older than him. David is clinically far-sighted, which means he is hyperopic. His condition prevents him from performing well in his job by wearing contact lenses.
Apart from being one of the best goalkeepers in the world, David is an avid fan of metal music and regularly attends concerts and music shows in Manchester.
David de Gea Net Worth
David De Gea, who is 33 years old, has amassed an unimaginable fortune and is known as one of the best goalkeepers in the world. Gea, who has a net worth of $80 million from his sports career, proved that hard work and perseverance pay off.[table id=2616 /]
The salary David became the highest in the world, reaching $24 million by 2020, making him the top goalkeeper in the world. He started playing football at the age of 13 and began his youth career with Atletico Madrid in 2003.
In addition, Manchester United offered the dynamic goalkeeper a contract offer of approximately £18.9 million, which is equivalent to $26,411,805 today. By signing the five-year deal, he becomes the second most expensive goalkeeper after Gianluigi Buffon (worth £32.6m to Juventus in 2001).
David also earns $3-5 million per year from endorsements.
- David de Gea’s goalkeeping skills were evident in his first few seasons with ‘Atletico Madrid.’ In the 2009–2010 season, he won two ‘Man of the Match’ awards. The beginning of his career was not smooth, however. In his first match for the ‘Championship League,’ he conceded two goals in the closing minutes of defeat against ‘Porto’ in September 2009. That loss cost him his team the match.
- His performance in the Spanish league improved. The ‘Premier League’ team Manchester United had just lost their legendary goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar and were looking for a suitable replacement. Manchester United had been keeping close tabs on David. David was expected to join Manchester United, but he surprised everyone in 2010 by extending his contract with Atletico Madrid.
- David and Atletico had a great start to the 2010–2011 season. In success at the ‘UEFA Super Cup,’ he scored brilliant goals to ensure his team’s victory. As his performances improved, he began to receive praise from all sides. David put all speculations to rest by stating that he was under contract with Atletico until 2013 and that he would not leave. Manchester United’s manager visited the stadium to observe David, and speculation was rife about him joining that club.
- A year after helping Spain’s ‘Under-21’ team win the UEFA European U21 Championship, David’s acquisition by ‘Manchester United’ for a record sum of 18.9 million pounds was officially confirmed in June 2011. The first time David played for Manchester United was in July 2011.
- During his debut match on July 23, 2011, he played against the Chicago Fire, which was a friendly match. As far as David’s initial performance goes, Manchester won 2–1 but the competitive tournaments were a mixed bag.
- In October 2011, David gave away six goals in a ‘UEFA Champions League’ match against ‘Manchester City,’ resulting in his team’s 1–6 loss. It was the worst defeat that ‘Manchester United’ had faced since 1955. After his performance was severely criticized, the team management decided to replace him in the next few matches. David acknowledged that his first season with ‘Manchester United’ was disappointing.
- David was only able to attend a few matches of Manchester United in the 2012-13 season due to the 2012 Olympics. However, once the initial hiccups were over, his performance took off.
- As recently as February 2013, he came up with some outstanding saves. After the season ended, he was named to the ‘PFA Premier League Team of the Year. The 28 matches he played ended with 11 clean sheets for him.
- He eventually went on to become one of the most respected goalkeepers in the world during the next two seasons. In both seasons, he won the Players’ Player of the Year award.
- During the 2014–2015 season, he won the ‘Save of the Season’ award. For the 2015–2016 season, he won the Players’ Player of the Year award again, making him the first player to win the honor three times.
- He was selected as a goalkeeper for the PFA Team of the Year for the fourth time in April 2017.
- He was the goalkeeper for Spain’s ‘Under-17’ team that won the ‘European Championships’ in 2007 and ended up as the first runner-up in the ‘Under-17 World Cup’ the same year. His senior team selected him as their goalkeeper for the 2014 ‘World Cup.’ Though his team was eliminated at the group stage, he helped Spain secure many international victories.
- He also led his national ‘Under-21’ team to win the ‘European Championships’ in 2011 and 2013. One of the best goalkeepers in the world, he is currently considered.
Facts About David de Gea
- Does David smoke?: Yes
- Does David drink Alcohol?: Yes
- As a child, David was the top goal scorer in his school’s team and played upfront until the age of 14. He was born in Madrid and raised in Illescas.
- When he was 13 years old, David made his debut for Atlético Madrid.
- When David was 13 years old, his coach lied to Atlético Madrid, saying Royo Vallecano was planning on signing him. However, Atlético Madrid signed him very soon at that time.
- Since moving to Manchester United in 2011, he has made more than 200 appearances and won the Premier League winner’s medal in 2013.
- Farsightedness is hyperopia, which is the medical term for David de Gea. Since he was a child, this Spaniard has worn glasses and now wears contact lenses during matches.
- De Gea’s girlfriend is the Spanish singer Edurne Garcia.
- The fee Manchester United paid for De Gea remains the highest ever paid to a goalkeeper in the British transfer market. There are no other Premier League goalkeepers who can match the fee paid for this Spaniard.
In the fall of 2005, when he was 9 years old, he began attending ELIS Villamartin. Although he initially studied English immersion, he started switching between the major class and the immersion class after a few months.
Jose De Gea
The Manchester United goalkeeper suffers from hyperopia, which is a condition of farsightedness. This means he can distinguish colors better far away than close up, so he has to wear glasses off the field, and contacts when playing.
David de Gea has taken to social media to announce the birth of his first child, Yanay. On Friday morning, De Gea and his girlfriend Edurne Garcia both posted a picture on their Instagram accounts of the baby’s hand with a caption reading: “Yanay 4 3 21” and an emoji of a heart.