Danny DeVito, is an American actor, director, producer, and comedian. Tortured for his small status at school and by neighboring kids, DeVito took a lot of bumps while growing up, but proved his mettle with his talent and passion for acting. He initiated out by doing off-Broadway musicals and later settled his first dominant portrayal in ‘NBC’ series ‘Taxi.’ The role of a repressive yet Charmy taxi dispatcher for the imaginary ‘Sunshine Cab Company’ made him a beloved character on American television and secured him for roles in Hollywood movies.
He has always been extolled for his comic timing and pleasant humor. However, he did not inhibit himself from only humor and examined with other roles as well. DeVito not only adorned Hollywood with his acting and comedy but also supervised movies starring great actors like Michael Douglas, Jack Nicholson, Robin Williams, etc. The genre near to his heart is a black comedy and almost all of his directorial undertakings belong to this genre. DeVito is also a producer and has produced remarkable projects like ‘Pulp Fiction,’ ‘Erin Brockovich,’ ‘Reno 911!’ etc.
|Birth Name||Daniel Michael DeVito, Jr.|
|Nick Name||Danny DeVito|
|Age||(as in 2020) 76 years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Scorpio|
|Birth Place||Neptune Township, New Jersey, United States|
|Date of Birth||17 November 1944|
|Residence||Beverly Hills, California|
|Home Town||Neptune Township, New Jersey|
|Hobbies||Acting and reading books|
|Mother's Name||Julia DeVito|
|Father's Name||Daniel DeVito, Sr. (Small Business Owner)|
|Sister||Angela Lucia (Older Sister)|
Theresa Scialla (Older Sister)
|Others||• Michael DeVito (Paternal Grandfather)|
• Mary DeVito (Paternal Grandmother)
• Ludovico Moccello (Maternal Grandfather)
• Angelina Moccello (Maternal Grandmother)
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Rhea Perlman (1971-Present)|
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Marriage Date||28 January 1982|
|Children||Daughters- Lucy DeVito|
Grace Fan DeVito
Son- Jake DeVito
|School||Oratory Preparatory School, New Jersey|
|College/University||American Academy of Dramatic Arts|
|Profession||Actor, comedian, director, producer|
|Brands Endorsed||• Nespresso coffee machines (Alongside George Clooney)|
• Lipton’s Brisk iced tea
• He has lent his voice in the ad for Nest Thermostat devices
|Career Manager||Stan Rosenfield & Associates, Inc|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 147cm|
in meters- 1.47 m
in feet inches- 4’10”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg|
in pounds- 154 lbs
|Chest Size||40 Inches|
|Hips Size||31 Inches|
|Waist Size||30 Inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||White|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Dress Size||Not Known|
|Shoe Size||American size- 9|
European size- 42
British size- 8.5
|Favourite Treasured Possession||His wife|
|Favourite Super Power||Get people do things the way he wanted|
|Favourite Fancy Dress Costume||An apple|
|Favourite Guiltiest Pleasure||Popcorn|
|His Greatest Achievement||Staying alive|
Danny DeVito was born Daniel Michael DeVito Jr. on November 17, 1944, in Neptune, New Jersey. DeVito was raised by his mother, Julia, and his father was a small business owner whose various experiments included a dry cleaner, luncheonette, dairy outlet, and pool hall.
DeVito joined Our Lady of Mount Carmel Grammar School and Oratory Prep High School in Summit, New Jersey, where he initially tried his hand at acting, acting in school productions of St. Francis of Assisi and the Billion Dollar Saint.
DeVito is 4 feet, 10 inches tall. His small status is due to his having Fairbank’s disease, also called multiple epiphyseal dysplasias (MED), which is a genetic bone rise disorder.
A miniature 4 feet, 10 inches tall, DeVito revealed he yearned to be taller as a youth. He said, “I was bedeviled; I could not slow-dance with the girls I wished to because my face would be in a scene where I might be thought of as moving too fast.” His height also made him a target for neighborhood bullies. “I took a lot of lumps,” DeVito remembers. “But I had a lot of friends who helped me and looked out for me.”
Although he acted in high school, when DeVito graduated in 1962 he did not consider acting a possible career path. DeVito revealed, “I wasn’t sure what I wished to do when I got out of high school. College did not seem a likely or beneficial option, and I didn’t want to go too far away.” DeVito was sprawling around the house one day when his older sister asked him to work as a hairdresser at the salon she owned. He remembers seeing, “Well, I’m not doing anything else, and I could meet a lot of girls there.”
After 18 months and no romances at his sister’s salon, DeVito decided to switch to the more lucrative cosmetics profession. He applied to take makeup classes at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York. Applicants must perform a monologue to get into any of the school’s programs, and after his monologue received positive feedback, DeVito decided to take acting classes as well. He quickly realized that acting was his true calling.
DeVito graduated from the American Academy in 1966 and worked briefly at the Eugene O’Neill Theater Center in Waterford, Connecticut, where he met and befriended with fellow actor Michael Douglas. While in Connecticut, DeVito read Truman Capote’s In Cold Blood; after seeing an advertisement for Hollywood auditions for a movie version of the book, DeVito moved to Los Angeles.
DeVito did not land a part in the film In Cold Blood, or in anything else at the start of his career. Instead, he was worked as a car parker and hung around the Sunset Strip with all the flower children. He had long hair and he wore a raincoat and sneakers, and he fit right in. But he wished to act.” DeVito soon moved back to New York, where he initiated parts in several off-Broadway plays.
Danny DeVito Net Worth
Danny DeVito has a net worth of $80 million.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2019 (Approx)||$80 Million|
|Previous Year's Net Worth 2018 (Approx)||Under Review|
|Annual Salary||Under Review|
|Income Source||Actor, comedian, director, producer|
For many years Danny and Rhea resided in a 14,579 square foot house in Beverly Hills, California. They shopped the property in 1994 and sold it in April 2015 for $24 million after registering it a few years earlier off-market for more than $30 million.
They continue to co-own a home in Malibu’s Point Dume neighborhood.
Danny DeVito Movies And TV Shows
- After his graduation, DeVito initiated working at the ‘Eugene O’Neill Theater Center’ in Waterford, Connecticut.
- After noticing an advertisement, he auditioned for a character in the film version of ‘In Cold Blood.’ DeVito did not get the part in the movie and issued working as a car parker to earn his living.
- He soon migrated back to New York, where he got parts to play in several off-Broadway plays.
- In 1971, DeVito settled the character of Martini in the stage production of ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.’ Four years later, Michael Douglas formed its film version and demanded him to reprise his stage role.
- DeVito auditioned for a new ‘NBC’ series titled ‘Taxi’ in 1978 and settled the part of the endearingly oppressive cab dispatcher, Louie De Palma. The show flew for five years and he won an ‘Emmy Award’ for ‘Best Supporting Actor.’
- After ‘Taxi’ was taken off the air, DeVito’s Hollywood career initiated with ‘Terms of Endearment’ in 1983. The movie, which starred actors like Shirley MacLaine, Debra Winger, and Jack Nicholson, won five ‘Academy’ awards.
- Now that his Hollywood career had started, DeVito rapidly earned popularity among filmmakers. He became part of another successful project titled ‘Romancing the Stone’ in 1984. The film was an action-adventure romantic comedy, starring his friend Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner.
- The following year, a sequel to ‘Romancing the Stone’ titled ‘The Jewel of the Nile’ released where all the actors reprised their respective roles. The movie turned out to be a commercial hit but failed to impress the critics.
- In 1987, DeVito came up with his first directorial venture ‘Throw Momma from the Train,’ a dark comedy in which he also played a role. Inspired by Hitchcock’s ‘Strangers on a Train,’ the movie also starred actors like Billy Crystal and Rob Reiner.
- DeVito once again joined hands with Michael Douglas for his next directorial venture ‘The War of the Roses’ in 1989, which was another black comedy. The movie was based on Warren Adler’s novel of the same name.
- In an attempt to avoid being stereotyped as a comedy actor, he starred in movies like ‘The Rainmaker’ (1997), ‘Hoffa’ (1992) – a biographical film which he also directed, ‘Heist’ (2001), etc.
- During 2002-2003, DeVito directed two movies, ‘Death to Smoochy’ (2002), starring Robin Williams and Edward Norton, and ‘Duplex’ (2003), starring Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore. Both the movies were black comedies, a genre close to DeVito’s heart.
- As DeVito was always interested in documentaries, he got into a partnership with Morgan Freeman’s company ‘ClickStar’ in 2006, which gave him an opportunity to host a documentary channel called ‘Jersey Docs.’
- In 2012, he debuted at the ‘West End’ in a play titled ‘The Sunshine Boys’ by Neil Simon. He acted in the play along with Richard Griffiths. The play previewed at the ‘Savoy Theatre’ for a 12-week season. From 2012 to 2019, DeVito played many characters with different shades in several movies like ‘Hotel Noir’ (2012), ‘All the Wilderness’ (2014), ‘Weiner-Dog’ (2016), and ‘Dumbo’ (2019).
- He returned to direction with the 2016 short comedy film ‘Curmudgeons’ in which he starred alongside David Margulies.
- As a voice actor, DeVito has voiced several characters in movies, such as ‘Look Who’s Talking Now’ (1993), ‘Space Jam’ (1996), ‘Hercules’ (1997), ‘The Lorax’ (2012), ‘Animal Crackers’ (2017), and ‘Smallfoot’ (2018).
- In 2019, he was cast to important roles in movies like ‘Jumanji: The Next Level’ and ‘Harry Haft.’ He was also elected to voice a character named Bob in a fantasy film titled ‘The One and Only Ivan.’
|1970 ||Dreams of Glass|
|1972 ||Hot Dogs for Gauguin|
|1973 ||Hurry Up, or I'll Be 30|
|1975 ||One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest|
|1976 ||Car Wash|
The World's Greatest Lover
|1978 ||Goin' South|
|1979 ||Swap Meet|
|1981 ||Going Ape!|
|1983 ||Terms of Endearment|
|1984||Romancing the Stone|
|1985||The Jewel of the Nile|
My Little Pony: The Movie
|1987 ||Tin Men|
Throw Momma from the Train
|1989 ||The War of the Roses|
|1991 ||Other People's Money|
|1992 ||Batman Returns|
|1993||Jack the Bear|
Last Action Hero
Look Who's Talking Now
|1994 ||Renaissance Man|
|1995 ||Get Shorty|
Men in Black
|1998 ||Living Out Loud|
|1999||The Big Kahuna|
Man on the Moon
The Virgin Suicides
What's the Worst That Could Happen?
|2002 ||Death to Smoochy|
Austin Powers in Goldmember
|2004 ||Christmas in Love|
Marilyn Hotchkiss' Ballroom Dancing and Charm School
10 Items or Less
The Oh in Ohio
Deck the Halls
|2007||The Good Night|
Reno 911!: Miami
|2008||Just Add Water|
|2010||When in Rome|
I'm Still Here
|2011||Girl Walks into a Bar|
Revenge of the Electric Car
|2012 ||The Lorax|
|2014 ||All the Wilderness|
|2017 ||Animal Crackers|
Jumanji: The Next Level
|2020 ||The One and Only Ivan|
|Yet To Be Released||Harry Haft|
TV Shows & Serials List
Starsky and Hutch
|1982–1999 ||Saturday Night Live|
|1984||The Ratings Game|
CBS Schoolbreak Special
|1985 ||Amazing Stories|
|1988 ||Sesame Street|
|1990||The Earth Day Special|
|1991–1992; 2013 ||The Simpsons|
|1994 ||The Larry Sanders Show|
|2003 ||Karen Sisco|
Father of the Pride
|2006–present ||It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia|
|2018||The Kominsky Method|
- Before becoming a successful actor, he has held a number of confused jobs such as a cosmetician at his sister’s beauty salon and cleaning of ashtrays at a hotel.
- He was under consideration to play the role of Super Mario in the adventure comedy film, Super Mario Bros, which was influenced by the popular video game. The role finally went to Bob Hoskins.
- In 2010, he was listed into the New Jersey Hall of Fame for his enormous contributions and works to the show business and entertainment industry.
- In his early competing days, he shared a flat in Manhattan, New York City with actor Michael Douglas. His share in the rent of the flat was $75 per month.
- The producers of Kindergarten Cop considered Danny for the lead role of Detective John Kimble. However, they decided against casting him due to his short stature and instead went for his close friend, Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- He collaborated with Michael Shamberg to establish a production house, Jersey Films, which has produced cult hits such as Pulp Fiction (1994) and Garden State (2004).
- His father got him enrolled at a boarding school at the age of 14 after he had convinced his father that was the only way to keep him out of trouble.
- The cause of his famous short stature is multiple epiphyseal dysplasias, which is also known as Fairbank’s disease. This rare genetic problem has an adverse effect on the development of bones.
- He was the co-owner of a Miami-based restaurant named DeVito South Beach. However, it shut down in 2011.
- He has been elected in the steering committee of the Friends of the Apollo, which works to support a theater of the same name in Oberlin, Apollo.
- He was honored with his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6906 Hollywood Blvd in Hollywood in August 2011.
- He is an environment lover and uses a Nissan Leaf 100% electric car. He is also a supporter of the Solar Neighbors Program, which is a foundation that encourages the usage of solar power.
- He is an active proponent of the International Myeloma Foundation, which is the largest and oldest charity that supports this unique form of cancer.
- At the 73rd Annual Academy Awards, he took a bag of carrots along to munch during the award ceremony.
Does Danny Devito Have Dwarfism?
He Directed, Produced And Appeared In Graphic, Short, Horror Films For His Internet Venture The Blood Factory. Devito’s Short Stature Is The Result Of Multiple Epiphyseal Dysplasia (Fairbank’s Disease), A Rare Genetic Disorder That Affects Bone Growth In Those Afflicted.
Why Is Danny Devito So Short?
Devito Is 4 Feet, 10 Inches Tall. His Small Stature Is Due To His Having Fairbank’s Disease, Also Called Multiple Epiphyseal Dysplasia (Med), Which Is A Genetic Bone Growth Disorder.
Is Danny Devito Still Married?
Perlman And Devito Have Acted Alongside Each Other Several Times, Including In The Television Show Taxi And The Feature Film Matilda (Where They Played Matilda’s Parents). They Separated In October 2012, After 30 Years Of Marriage And Over 40 Years Together, Then Reconciled In March 2013.
Is Danny Devito Italian?
Daniel Michael “Danny” Devito, Jr. Is An American Comedian, Actor, Director, And Producer. Devito Is Of Italian Descent. He Was Born In Neptune Township, New Jersey, And Grew Up In Asbury Park, New Jersey.