Benedict Cumberbatch is an extremely acclaimed English actor who has served in almost every range of the entertainment industry. Benedict has been a member of notable theatre productions from his initial days and became popular for performing the character of Titania at a very young age. He has worked in films, television, theatre, and radio. Benedict Cumberbatch is an extremely skilled person and has even voiced some iconic roles from popular acts of fiction like ‘The Simpsons’ and the movie trilogy of ‘The Hobbit.’
He has been a section of important movie productions and has had a notable influence on the television industry as well. His movie ‘Dr. Strange,’ which was created by ‘Marvel Studios,’ became a tremendous hit worldwide. His portrayal of the iconic role Sherlock Holmes in the hit TV series ‘Sherlock’ was praised by critics around the world. Benedict Cumberbatch is married to the British Theatre and Opera director Sophie Hunter. The couple has two sons, specifically Christopher Carlton Cumberbatch and Hal Auden Cumberbatch.
Benedict Cumberbatch Wiki/Bio
|Birth Name||Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch|
|Nick Name||• The Batch|
|Age||(as in 2023) 47 Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Cancer|
|Birth Place||London, England, United Kingdom|
|Date of Birth||19 July 1976|
|Residence||Hampstead, North London, England|
|Home Town||London, England, United Kingdom|
|Mother’s Name||Wanda Ventham (Actress)|
|Father’s Name||Timothy Carlton (Actor)|
|Sister||Tracy Peacock (Step-Sister)|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Olivia Poulet (1999-2011) |
• Anna Jones (2011-2012)
• Lydia Hearst (2012)
• Liv Tyler (2012)
• ara Pulver (2012
• atia Elizarova (2012)
• Charlotte Asprey (2013)
• Sophie Hunter (2014–Present)
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Marriage Date||February 14, 2015|
|Children||Son- • Hal Auden Cumberbatch|
• Christopher Carlton Cumberbatch
|School||• Brambletye School, West Sussex|
• Harrow School
|College/University||University of Manchester|
|Profession||Actor, Film Producer, Voice artist|
|Brands Endorsed||• MG GS “Chinese Car Advertisement” (2015)|
• Dunlop (2014), Google + Tom “Campaign” (2012)
• Jaguar Alive (2012)
• Sony Handycam NEX-5N (2012)
• Jaguar XFR Growler (2011)
• Hiscox “There is a light” (2012)
|Career Manager||Conway Van Gelder Grant Ltd, UK|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 183 cm|
in meters- 1.83 m
in feet inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 78 kg|
in pounds- 172 lbs
|Chest Size||43 Inches|
|Biceps Size||14 Inches|
|Waist Size||33 Inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||White|
|Hair Color||Dyed Brown|
|Dress Size||Not Available|
|Shoe Size||12 (US)|
|Favorite Restaurant||Osteria Emilia at Fleet Road, Hampstead|
|Favorite Place||Galaxidi of Greece, Villedieu in the South of France and New York|
|Favorite TV Shows||The Wire (2002-2008), The Office (2005-2013), The West Wing (1999-2006), Mad Men (2007-2015), The Sopranos (1999-2007), Breaking Bad (2008-2013), The Killing (2011-2014)|
|Favorite Authors||Vladimir Vladimirovich Nabokov, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Charles Dickens, Paul Auster|
|Favorite Actors||Jack Nicholson, Steve McQueen, Harrison Ford, Marlon Brando, Martin Sheen, Stephen Dillane|
|Favorite Sport||Skydiving, hot-air ballooning, scuba diving, snowboarding, horse-riding, and motor-bikes|
|Favorite Filmmakers||Stanley Kubrick, Michael Winterbottom, Steven Soderbergh, John Hughes, Alfred Hitchcock|
|Favorite Movies||Ghostbusters (1984), Annie Hall (1977), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), Singin’ in the Rain (1952), Wings of Desire (1987) and many more.|
|Favorite Holiday Dish||Brussels Sprouts|
Benedict Cumberbatch was born on 19 July 1976 at Queen Charlotte’s and Chelsea Hospital in the London region of Hammersmith, to actors Timothy Carlton and Wanda Ventham. He turned up in the area of Kensington and Chelsea.
He has a half-sister, Tracy Peacock, from his mother’s first marriage. His grandfather, Henry Carlton Cumberbatch, was a ship officer of both World Wars, and a leading character of London high society. His great-grandfather, Henry Arnold Cumberbatch, was a politician who worked as consul in Turkey and Lebanon, and his great-great-grandfather, Robert William Cumberbatch, also was a British consul in Turkey and the Russian Empire.
Ethan Hawke Bio, Age, Height, Wife, Daughter, Net Worth, Movies & Wiki
Cumberbatch is a third cousin 16 times removed from King Richard III, whom he portrayed in The Hollow Crown. He attended Richard III’s 2015 reburial and read a poem. Cumberbatch attended boarding schools from the age of eight; he was educated at Brambletye School in West Sussex and was an arts scholar at Harrow School.
He was a member of The Rattigan Society, Harrow’s premier club for the climactic arts, which was called after Old Harrovian and playwright Terence Rattigan. He was concerned in many Shakespearean tasks at school and made his acting debut as Titania, Queen of the Fairies, in A Midsummer Night’s Dream when he was 12. Cumberbatch’s drama teacher, Martin Tyrell, named him “the best schoolboy actor” he had ever worked with.
After leaving Harrow, Cumberbatch took a break year to enlist as an English teacher at a Tibetan monastery in Darjeeling, India. He then served the Victoria University of Manchester (now the University of Manchester), where he analyzed Drama. He continued his education as an actor at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA), graduating with an MA in Classical Acting.
On 16 January 2018, it was stated that Cumberbatch would reach Timothy West as President of LAMDA. On being appointed Cumberbatch stated it would be “an honor to watch the next contemporaries of actors, directors and technicians blossom”.
Robert Redford Bio, Age, Height, Wife, Daughter, Movies, Wiki & Net Worth
Benedict Cumberbatch Net Worth
Benedict Cumberbatch has a net worth of $45 million dollars.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||$45 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$40 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||Under Review|
|Annual Salary||Under Review|
|Income Source||Actor, Film Producer, Voice artist|
- Benedict Cumberbatch began his theatre career in 2001 and performed important tasks in several classic plays.
- In 2005, his appearance as George Tesman in the play ‘Hedda Gabler’ was highly praised and he was nominated for ‘Olivier Award’ for ‘Best Performance in a Supporting Role.’
- He became part of the restoration of Terence Rattigan’s famous play ‘After the Dance.’ The play was directed by Thea Sharrock at the ‘Royal National Theater.’ The conversion won four ‘Olivier Awards’ and was awarded ‘Best Revival’ as well.
- Some of the other important plays that Cumberbatch was part of include, Danny Boyle’s ‘The Children’s Monologues’ (2010) and Danny Boyle’s stage production of Mary Shelley’s ‘Frankenstein’ (2011). For his performance in ‘Frankenstein,’ he won ‘Critics’ Circle Theatre Award,’ ‘Evening Standard Award,’ and the ‘Oliver Award,’ performing the ‘Triple Crown of London Theatre.’
- In 2015, he appeared in Shakespeare’s ‘Hamlet’ at London’s ‘Barbican Theatre’ and earned his third ‘Laurence Olivier Award’ nomination for his role.
Benedict Cumberbatch Movies And TV Shows
- Benedict Cumberbatch performed on the TV show ‘Tipping the Velvet’ in 2002.
- He then performed the character of Edward Han on the TV show ‘Cambridge Spies’ in 2003. In the same year, he also starred as Rory in the comedy-drama series, ‘Fortysomething.’
- He landed his first major role on television in the year 2004. He was selected to play the role of Stephen Hawking in the hit TV series ‘Hawking.’ Benedict was nominated for the ‘BAFTA TV Award’ for ‘Best Actor’ for his appearance as Stephen Hawking. He also won the ‘Golden Nymph’ under the ‘Best Performance by an Actor’ category. Benedict Cumberbatch also sounded Stephen Hawking in the first episode of ‘Curiosity,’ a television drama series.
- In 2005, he was granted the role of Edmund Talbot in the TV miniseries ‘To the Ends of the Earth,’ which he readily accepted. In the same year, he also made guest characters in shows like ‘Broken news’ and ‘Nathan Barley.’
- In 2007, Benedict Cumberbatch acted alongside Tom Hardy in the TV arrangement of ‘Stuart: A Life Backwards.’ The show aired on ‘BBC’ in September 2007.
- Benedict Cumberbatch performed in ‘Atonement’ and ‘The Other Boleyn Girl’ in supporting characters in the years 2007 and 2008 respectively.
- In 2008, he performed the lead character in the hit ‘BBC’ miniseries ‘The Last Enemy.’ His performance as the lead character made him a ‘Satellite Award’ nomination for ‘Best Actor in a Miniseries or TV Film.’
- In 2009, Benedict Cumberbatch acted as Luke Fitzwilliam in the TV show ‘Maple: Murder is Easy.’
- He also performed the role of Bernard in the TV adaptation of Andrea Levy’s novel ‘Small Island.’ His performance as Bernard earned him another ‘BAFTA Television Award’ nomination for ‘Best Supporting Actor.’
- In 2009, he was cast as Joseph Hooker in Charles Darwin’s biopic ‘Creation.’ Joseph Hooker was Charles Darwin’s close friend.
- 2010 was a notable year for Benedict Cumberbatch. He was cast to play the role of Vincent Van Gogh in the hit movie ‘Van Gogh: Painted with Words.’ His performance as Van Gogh was recognized all around the world and is still revered as one of the best depictions of the artist.
- Also in 2010, he was viewed in two different films, ‘The Whistleblower’ and ‘Four Lions.’ ‘The Whistleblower’ is a Canadian-German-American biographical crime drama directed by Larysa Kondracki, while ‘Four Lions’ is a dark comedy directed by Chris Morris.
- In the same year, he was cast as Sherlock Holmes in the critically acclaimed TV series ‘Sherlock.’ The first season of the series was broadcast in 2010.
- Benedict Cumberbatch was cast in the 2011 film ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’ which is an adaptation of John le Carré’s novel. In the same year, he was cast in Steven Spielberg’s movie ‘War Horse.’
- In 2012, Benedict Cumberbatch was cast in the ‘BBC’ and ‘HBO’ co-produced miniseries ‘Parade’s End.’ The miniseries was filmed for just five episodes and was directed by Susana White. His performance in the miniseries earned him his second ‘Emmy Award’ nomination for ‘Best Actor in a Miniseries or TV movie.’
- In 2012, Benedict Cumberbatch was cast as Smaug and the Necromancer in the first installment of the ‘Hobbit’ movie series: ‘An Unexpected Journey.’
- He later reprised his performance in the next two parts of the trilogy, namely ‘Desolation of Smaug’ (2013) and ‘The Battle of Five Armies’ (2014).
- He performed the antagonist in the movie ‘Star Trek into Darkness’ in the year 2013.
- He performed British cryptographer Alan Turing in the historical drama ‘Imitation Game.’ The movie released in November 2014 and earned Cumberbatch nominations at the ‘Golden Globe,’ ‘BAFTA,’ ‘SAG,’ and ‘Oscar.’ The same year, he also voiced a character in the animated movie ‘Penguins of Madagascar.’
- In May 2014, he was cast in the film ‘Black Mass’ alongside Johnny Depp.
- In the month of August, he voiced a character named Shere Khan in the 2015 film adaptation of Rudyard Kipling’s classic, ‘The Jungle Book.’
- He performed the title character in the movie ‘Dr. Strange’ in November of 2016. The movie went on to become a big hit.
- In February 2017, Cumberbatch was cast to star in ‘Patrick Melrose,’ a miniseries adaptation of Edward St Aubyn’s novels.
- He was cast as Thomas Edison in a movie titled ‘The Current War.’ Directed by Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, the movie stars Michael Shannon, Nicholas Hoult, Tom Holland, and Katherine Waterston in important roles. He was also cast as The Grinch for the 2018 remake of the classic story, ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas.’
- He also performed as British political strategist Dominic Cummings in ‘HBO’ and Channel 4’s television film ‘Brexit: The Uncivil War’ in 2019.
He starred as Doctor Strange in the eponymous film, which released in November 2016, and in the ‘Avengers’ franchise, such as ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ (2018) and ‘Avengers: Endgame’ (2019).
|2002||Hills Like White Elephants|
|2003||To Kill a King|
|2006 ||Starter for 10|
|2008||The Other Boleyn Girl|
|2011||Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy|
|2012||Girlfriend in a Coma|
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
|2013||Star Trek Into Darkness|
12 Years a Slave
The Fifth Estate
August: Osage County
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
|2014||The Imitation Game|
Penguins of Madagascar
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
|2017||The Current War|
|2018||Avengers: Infinity War|
The Dog Days of Winter
Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle
Between Two Ferns: The Movie
TV Shows & Serials List
|2002||Tipping the Velvet|
To the Ends of the Earth
|2007||Stuart: A Life Backwards|
|2008||The Last Enemy|
Marple: Murder Is Easy
|2010||Van Gogh: Painted with Words|
The Rattigan Enigma
|2014||The Colbert Report|
|2016||The Hollow Crown|
Saturday Night Live
|2017||The Child in Time|
|2019||Brexit: The Uncivil War|
- He undergoes a disease named “heterochromia.” Therefore, his eyes have different colors. It commonly changes from blue to green.
- He took his audition on an iPhone in his friend’s kitchen for his performance as Khan in Star Trek into Darkness.
- He believes that he resembles Sid the Sloth from Ice Age.
- He essentially declined to star as Sherlock Holmes because he thought that the remake would be Cheap and Cheesy.
- Before becoming an actor, he was considering becoming a lawyer.
- Steven Spielberg portrayed him as The Best Sherlock on Screen.
- Benedict couldn’t think when Harrison Ford stated that he is a big fan of him.
- His real parents emerged in one of the episodes in the Sherlock TV series.
- There are more than 100 million words of Fan Fiction dedicated to him.
- For his portrayal of Alan Turing in The Imitation Game, he received unanimous critical acclaim and subsequently earned his first Oscar nomination for Best Actor.
- Until 2015, he has always turned empty-handed from these prestigious award shows wherein he has six BAFTA nominations, five Screen Actors Guild Award nominations, and two Golden Globe Award nominations.
- In June 2015, for his participation in the performing arts and charity, he was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) by Queen Elizabeth II during the Birthday Honours.
- He has been portrayed as an expert in photobombing and has been given the title of King of photobombs by various media outlets.
- His female fans were greeted Cumberbitches which Benedict didn’t like and felt it insulted them, he then subsequently softened it to a more suitable term Cumberpeople.
- He has been voted as the ‘S*xiest Man Alive’ in Empire and People magazine’s annual list on many moments.
- His life’s principle is Nothing is Impossible. The word Impossible itself says, ‘I’m possible.’
- He likes to paint large oil canvases and is known to be a prolific painter. He has lately donated his artworks to various charities and organizations.
- In 2005, when he was in South Africa with his two friends, he got kidnapped and was held at gunpoint.
- Furthermore, he was taken to an unidentified location and was liberated without any explanation from the kidnappers.
- He was featured on the list of 100 Makers of the 21st Century by The Sunday Times in 2014 and the publication has heralded him as this generation’s Sir Laurence Olivier.
- He was featured in Time magazine’s annual list of 100 Most Influential People in the World for the year 2014.
- He is close friends with Keira Knightley, James McAvoy, Tom Hardy, Matthew Goode, Zachary Quinto, and Eddie Redmayne.
- Since October 2014, Madame Tussauds London is showcasing the Benedict Cumberbatch wax figure.
- He is a Social Worker who represents The Prince’s Trust as its ambassador and supports various philanthropic activities that involve in helping deprived young people.
- After performing the character of Stephen Hawking in 2004 in the TV film Hawking, he has become the representative of Motor Neurone Disease Association and in 2014, he joined the organization’s Ice Bucket Challenge.
- When he was 12, he performed the character of Titania, Queen of the Fairies, in the play A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
Benedict Cumberbatch Is Reportedly Offered A Whopping $9.5 Million For Doctor Strange Part 2.
Benedict Cumberbatch Has Significant Royal And Magna Carta Ancestry With Descents From King Edward I And A Number Of Magna Carta Sureties. Surprisingly, The British Actor Also Has An American Connection With A Mayflower Descent From Mayflower Passengers John Alden, Priscilla Mullins, And Her Parents.
Cumberbatch Stated, “Cancer Isn’t A Disease That Needs Much Awareness, But It Does Need Continued Funding For Research.” In September 2014, He Participated In A Video Campaign For Stand Up To Cancer.
Benedict And Martin Will Never Be Best Mates, They’re Not Even Close. They’ve Remained Professional In Public As The Series Got More And More Popular But There Was Always A Concern Their Relationship Could Break Down.