Antoine Griezmann is a French footballer who plays for both the French national team and Atletico Madrid. Born and raised in Macon, France, he has always had a passion for football since he was young. Genetics however prevented him from growing much in height and frame and hence he was turned down by many youth programs at leading clubs. He gained attention from several professional clubs in 2005, including Real Sociedad, while playing for the local team Montpellier.
In the 2009-2010 season, he made his debut for ‘Sociedad,’ winning five out of four games that he played during their pre-season campaign. Antoine moved to Atletico Madrid in July 2014 after four successful seasons at Sociedad. As a result of his steadily improving performances, he was rewarded with another contract from Madrid in 2016, which would keep him with the club until 2021. He participated in the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the Euro 2016 with his national team. He received the Golden Boot award at the latter for his outstanding goal-scoring performance.
Antoine Griezmann Wiki/Bio
[table id=2553 /]
Born on March 21, 1991, in Macon, France, Antoine Griezmann is the son of Isabelle and Alain. Having a stronghold in the political landscape in France, his father was a powerful and wealthy man. His mother was a hospital cleaner.
Antoine’s ancestry can be traced back to Portugal, where his grandfather, Amaro Lopes, was a renowned footballer for the national team. In light of his family’s history with football, little Antoine decided to give it a go himself. Moreover, Zinedine Zidane inspired him to practice and train hard to achieve his goal of becoming a footballer.
The youth programs at Lyon, the nearby well-known soccer club, were well known for their excellence. There were several reasons why Antoine was rejected, including being short and weighing very little. Disheartened by this, Antoine turned to the second-best option, his local club UF Macon. A powerful political influence from his father also contributed greatly to his selection. At UF Macon, Antoine worked on his skills further so that the best youth programs could take notice of him.
His short frame was a major obstacle to his selection for the subsequent youth academies. But Antoine wasn’t one to give up and, in 2005, he was hired by Montpellier, where he demonstrated his footballing skills for the first time. Antoine’s performance in the Paris friendly against Paris Saint-Germain caught the attention of Real Sociedad executives.
Antoine was given a trial week by Society and after that week ended, Society offered his parents a contract to keep him at their youth academy. In the beginning, Antoine’s parents were a bit skeptical about sending him to Spain, but they eventually gave in.
Erika Choperena and Antoine Griezmann dated for a very long time before they got married in June 2017. In the presence of close friends and family members, the wedding ceremony was secret. The couple had a daughter named Mia before they got married.
In addition to his older brother, Antoine has an older brother who is also on his way to becoming a footballer.
Antoine Griezmann Net Worth
Antoine Griezmann has a net worth of $65 million.[table id=2556 /]
With his base salary of $27 million, Antoine has been among the world’s top 10 high-paid soccer players in some seasons.
The endorsements Griezmann earns each year allow him to earn $5-6 million aside from his salary. He is perhaps best known for his sponsorship relationship with Puma, and he has appeared in many of the company’s commercials. The Puma boots he released in 2017 were custom-made for him. He has also been featured on the cover of the FIFA video game series (alongside Lionel Messi) in 2014 for the French release.
As well as Beats Electronics headphones and Head & Shoulders shampoo, Antoine has appeared in commercials for Gillette razors, Huawei smartphones, and Gillette razors.
Antoine’s outstanding start at Real Sociedad earned him a five-year contract with a release clause of 30 million euros. The 30 million release clause was paid by Atletico Madrid to get Griezmann on their team in 2014. After that, he signed a contract with Atletico for six years. In 2016, the team was banned from making transfers, so Griezmann had to amend his contract to include a 100 million euro buyout clause.
Barcelona was heavily linked with the French player at this point. Griezmann’s commitment to Atletico is signaled by yet another contract extension recently signed, signaling that Barca was set back by an alleged illegal approach. The former Atletico Madrid player announced he will leave the team in 2019, after five years with the club. As a result, he became one of the most expensive footballers in history after signing for Barcelona for 210 million euros.
- He attended school during the day and practiced football at night and on weekends during his first year at Sociedad. After that, Antoine remained a part of the club’s youth program and made his competitive debut in the 2009-10 season, which was a very long time by the club’s standards.
- His five goals in four pre-season games earned him a spot in the league season after his performance in the pre-season games.
- In September 2009, he made his professional debut against Huesca and scored his first goal in his debut match, leading his team to a 2-0 win. He scored his second goal two weeks later against Salamanca and further scored many goals to make his team qualify for the La Liga.
- After being forced into signing a contract with Antoine in April 2010, Real Sociedad kept him on until 2015.
- Real Sociedad noticed him before he signed the contract, along with clubs such as Manchester United and Arsenal, but he decided to join Sociedad instead.
- As a defender for USMNT, he scored a goal to draw 2-2 with defending champions Barcelona in the 2011-12 season. As a result of his incredible performance in the final league game of the season 2012-13, his team qualified for the UEFA Championship League for the first time in almost a decade.
- Atletico Madrid first approached Real Sociedad about Antoine in July 2014, and later that month, Antoine signed a six-year deal with Madrid. Antoine scored his first goal for Madrid against Olympiacos in August 2014, during a Champions League group stage match.
- As a player in La Liga, he scored his first hat-trick against Athletic Bilbao on December 14, 2014. In spite of playing only three La Liga matches for Madrid out of the five games they played, Antoine won the monthly award for La Liga in January 2015.
- By the end of the 2014-15 season, Antoine’s goal tally reached 22 goals, and he was therefore named to the LFP Team of the Year. As the team’s third forward, he played alongside Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
- He led his team to the finals of the Champions League in May 2015, where they lost. A contract extension with Atletico Madrid was announced in July 2016 that will extend his stay until 2021. As Player of the Match in a Champions League group match against Rostov during the 2016-2017 season, Antoine scored two goals.
- After increasing interest from English Premier League teams, rumors were rife regarding his departure from Atletico Madrid in June 2017. In the end, he signed another contract with Atletico to remain with the club until 2022, thus putting an end to rumors.
- His early departure to Spain prevented him from being considered for the national youth teams. In 2010, he was named to the national team for the UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship, where he led his team to victory. In November 2012, he was suspended for disciplinary reasons. He considered joining the national team of Portugal following this event.
- France’s 2014 FIFA World Cup was his first international appearance and he did quite well. As a result, his team lost in the quarterfinals to Germany, which went on to win the World Cup. It was at the 2016 UEFA Euro that he reached the final of his team, where they lost to Portugal.
- Antoine’s performance didn’t go unnoticed, and he was named the Golden Boot winner and a member of the team of the tournament despite his team’s elimination from the tournament.
Facts About Antoine Griezmann
- Does Antoine Griezmann smoke?: Not Known
- Does Antoine Griezmann drink alcohol?: Yes
- Antoine’s maternal grandfather, Amaro Lopes was a Portuguese footballer too and he played for F.C. Paços de Ferreira. He moved to France in 1957 and died when Antoine was still an infant.
- Over five seasons, he played 201 matches and scored 52 goals.
- In his time playing for his hometown club UF Mâcon, he played for a lot of clubs. Because of his thin frame and lightweight, he was constantly rejected.
- The match against the youth academy of Paris Saint-Germain in 2005 brought him into the spotlight; a few clubs noticed him and offered him a place at San Sebastián for a week, which was extended into another week, which led to a youth contract.
- Ioan Lupescu, Chief Technical Officer, praised him. Ioan said, “He is a strong team player and has stable control over the field and the ball.”. Despite his versatility, he can do well at the offensive, defensive and middle positions.”
- FIFA 16’s cover features him along with Lionel Messi due to a public vote. In addition, Antoine appeared in an advertisement with Harry Kane, Mario Götze, and Cesc Fabregas for Beats by Dr. Dre.
- He lost his sister Maude in the Paris attack that occurred at the Bataclan Theater in November 2015, while Antoine was playing against Germany at the Stade de France.
- He has a tattoo that reads, “Make your dreams a reality, make your life a dream”.
- According to his brother Theo, “In the blank pages at the end of his books, I found drawings of him pretending to be interviewed by TV channel ‘Canal +,’ with questions, answers, and everything.”
- Eric Olhats was the scout who spotted his play and helped bring him to attention.
- Many times, he’s been seen wearing colorful underwear and Spongebob underwear. These undergarments are rumored to be lucky charms for him.
- A top-three player in Europe, Antoine’s contract with Atletico has been extended until 2021 despite him missing two penalties.
As a result of his mother’s Portuguese heritage, Antoine’s father is French, though his mother is French, so he is eligible for Portugal’s call-up. As a young football fan, Griezmann grew up idolizing many stars, including Pavel Nedv*d, whose poster he displayed.
Griezmann is Roman Catholic.