Annu Kapoor is a well-known Indian film actor and television presenter. He is best known for hosting the vocal reality show Antakshari from 1993 to 2006 and his roles in Mr. India, Vicky Donor, and Jolly LLB 2. He won the Filmfare award as well as National Film Award for Best Supporting Actor.
Annu Kapoor was born in a Punjabi family on 20 February 1956 in Itwara, Bhopal. His father, Madanlal Kapoor, was the owner of a traveling Parsi Theatre Company, and his mother, Kamal Shabnam Kapoor, was an Urdu teacher and a trained classical singer. His elder brother, Ranjit Kapoor, is a screenwriter and a film director, and his younger brother, Nikhil Kapoor, is a lyricist and a writer. Annu also has a sister, Seema Kapoor, an actress.
In 1992, Kapoor got married to Anupama, who was lived in America. The couple has 3 sons, Kavam, Maahir, and Evaan. The duo got divorced after a few years of their marriage. He, later, got married to Arunita Mukherjee. The couple has a daughter, Aradhita. Despite marrying, Arunita, he was in regular touch with his first wife, Anupama, which led to a divorce between Annu and Arunita. In 2008, Annu remarried his first wife, Anupama.
Annu Kapoor Wiki/Bio[table id=2437 /]
As a kid, Annu wanted to become a surgeon or an IAS officer. Though, he had to quit his studies after class 10 due to his family’s bad financial condition. Soon, He began doing odd jobs like selling tea at a tea stall, managing a small fire-cracker shop, selling dummy currencies, and selling lottery tickets. Later, his father insisted he joins his theatre company.
After working at his father’s theatre company for a while, Kapoor enrolled in the National School of Drama (NSD) in Delhi, where his elder brother, Ranjit Kapoor, was already a student. In 1981, Annu portrayed the role of a 70-year-old man in the stage play Ek Ruka Hua Faisla. The film director Shyam Benegal saw his performance in the play and gave him to play a role in his film Mandi in 1983.
Annu Kapoor Net Worth
According to Woodgram, Annu Kapoor’s estimated net worth is $15 million.[table id=2435 /]
Kapoor’s career has crossed over 30 years, including Bollywood cinema, game shows, television serials. He is best recognized for hosting the singing show Close-Up Antakshari, produced by Zee TV. His appearance as an obsessive-compulsive sperm-bank physician in 2012’s Vicky Donor met with significant and widespread acclaim. Kapoor acted in the horror TV serial Kile ka Rahasya in 1989 as a cop who fond of singing. He has also performed in Yamla Pagla Deewana 2.
In the year 2007, Antakshari, The National Challenge was relaunched on STAR One. The earlier year, its last episode was telecast, the program’s initial run was from 1993 to 2006. His scope of roles alters from portrayal as Saint Kabir in DD National TV show of the same name, as Mahatma Gandhi in Sardar and Veer Savarkar in Kaala Pani, to police officer in 7 Khoon Maaf, a trivial thief in Utsav to comedic villain in Hum.
The Golden Era – With Annu Kapoor on the Mastiii channel is a wistfulness TV serial about Indian theater, adorned with classical era’s Hindi film songs and commentary by Annu Kapoor on unheard tales of Bollywood Cinema’s Legends.
Currently, Annu Kapoor does a radio program on 92.7 Big FM named Suhaana Safar with Annu Kapoor on 92.7 Big FM. It’s a daily show that broadcasts nationally on the radio networks covering all Hindi speaking radio stations across the country. Kapoor recreates the magic of the Golden era with memorable melodies of that era and untold stories of the stars and movies of the Hindi Cinema. The show arises with the tagline Filmy Duniya Ki Kahi Ankahi Kahaniya.[table id=2436 /]
Facts About Annu Kapoor
- Does Annu Kapoor drink alcohol?: Yes
- Does Annu Kapoor smoke?: No
- Annu’s father initially came from Peshawar, Pakistan, and urged his wife (Annu’s mother) to learn Persian, Urdu, and Arabic, and after some time, she became an instructor of Urdu.
- During his NSD days, he took part in shows such as Antim Yatra, The Great God Brown, Three Sisters, and The Zoo Story.
- While talking about his struggling days, he revealed that his mother’s payroll as an Urdu teacher was only Rs. 40 a month.
- In the year 1982, Kapoor went to Mumbai with just Rs. 419.25.
- Annu portrayed the role of Dr. Baldev Chaddha, a fertility expert in the Bollywood movie Vicky Donor in 2012. He won around seven awards for this film.
- He is 13 years older than his first wife, Anupama
- Kapoor has even produced a musical contest for children Aao Jhoomein Gaayen which aired on SAB TV.
- He has a love for reading religious texts like the Vedas, the Quran, and the Upanishads. He has read them as many as 14 times.
- He was born as Anil Kapoor. Later, he converted it to Annu from Anil to avoid mixing it with the Bollywood actor, Anil Kapoor.
Actor Annu Kapoor has been roped in to play the character of Principal of the college where Anupama will be joining as a Professor.
Some of the best movies of Annu Kapoor are Vicky Donor, Mr. India, Tezaab, Ram Lakhan, and Darr.
67 years (20 February 1956).