Akshata Nryan Murthy (born April 1980) is an Indian heiress, entrepreneur, fashion designer, and venture investor residing in the United Kingdom. She is married to Rishi Sunak, the current British Prime Minister and Conservative Party leader. Murty and Sunak are the 222nd wealthiest persons in the United Kingdom, with a combined fortune of £730 million as of 2022. In the context of her claim to non-domiciled status in the UK, her personal riches became the subject of British media debate.
Akshata Murty is the daughter of N. R. Narayana Murthy, the founder of the Indian multinational information technology company Infosys, and Sudha Murty. She owns 0.93% of Infosys, making her one of the wealthiest women in the UK, as well as shares in many other companies.
Akshata Murthy Bio/Wiki
[table id=5501 /]
Murty was reared by her maternal grandparents in Hubli, India, while her father, N. R. Narayana Murthy, and mother, Sudha Murty, laboured to create their technology business, Infosys. Her mother was the first female engineer to work for India’s leading automotive manufacturer at the time, and she is now a philanthropist.
Murty had a rather basic middle-class childhood in Jayanagar, a Bangalore suburb, according to an unnamed source, with no birthday celebrations or much pocket money.
Murty attended Baldwin Girls’ High School in Bangalore before going on to Claremont McKenna College in California to study economics and French. She holds a Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising diploma in clothing manufacture and a Master of Business Administration from Stanford University. Rohan Murty is her only sibling.
Murty is an Indian national. Murty married Rishi Sunak, whom she met at Stanford University, in August 2009. Anoushka and Krishna are their two daughters. They possess Kirby Sigston Manor in the North Yorkshire town of Kirby Sigston, as well as a mews house in Earl’s Court in central London, a flat on South Kensington’s Old Brompton Road, and a penthouse apartment on Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica, California. Sunak and Murty were believed to have moved out of 11 Downing Street to a freshly renovated West London property in April 2022.
It was reported in April 2022 that she is a non-domiciled resident of the United Kingdom, which entitled her to no tax on her income earned outside the United Kingdom, subject to an annual payment of £30,000. Murty declared that she will voluntarily give up her non-domiciled status and pay UK taxes on her international income. If Murty pays UK taxes on her international income but keeps her non-domiciliary status, she can take advantage of a clause in a 1956 treaty meant to enable Indian residents to avoid double taxation in both India and the UK.
Akshata Murthy Family
Her father, N. R. Narayana Murthy, founded Infosys, and her mother, Sudha Murthy, founded the ‘Infosys Foundation.’ Rohan Murty, the creator of the ‘Murty Classical Library of India,’ is her younger brother.
Akshata Murty is married to Rishi Sunak, the United Kingdom’s 57th Prime Minister. They married on August 30, 2009, in a small ceremony at the Leela Palace Hotel in Bangalore. Azim Premji, Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Anil Kumble, Nandan M Nilekani, Captain G.R. Gopinath, Prakash Padukone, Syed Kirmani, Girish Karnad, and others were among those who attended the wedding.
Anoushka Sunak and Krishna Sunak are the couple’s two daughters.
Murty joined Dutch cleantech business Tendris as marketing director in 2007, where she stayed for two years before leaving to launch her own fashion company. Her fashion label went out of business in 2012. In 2013, she was appointed director of the venture capital firm Catamaran Ventures.
She co-founded the London division of her father’s Indian business, N. R. Narayana Murthy, with her husband Rishi Sunak. Sunak gave her his shares just before becoming the Conservative MP for Richmond in 2015. Since 2015, she has had a 0.91% or 0.93% stake in her father’s technology firm Infosys, which is expected to be worth over £700 million in April 2022, as well as stakes in two of Jamie Oliver’s restaurant ventures, Wendy’s in India and Koro Kids.
She is a director of Digme Fitness and Soroco, a digital transformation firm co-founded by her brother Rohan Murty.
Akshata Murthy Net Worth
Her combined net worth with her spouse Rishi Sunak is expected to be $810 million as of 2023. According to the Sunday Times Rich List 2022, the pair is placed 222 on the list.
Akshata Murty was questioned about her income tax status in Britain in April 2022. According to certain media accounts, she claimed a non-domiciled tax status in the United Kingdom, which protected her from paying taxes on dividends received from foreign corporations.
Following that, her husband, Rishi Sunak, was accused of concealing his wife’s income from Russia, where Murthy’s company Infosys was operating even during the Russia-Ukraine War. Infosys later announced the withdrawal of its services from Russia in a statement.
Akshata Murthy Assets
- A 12-acre Georgian Manor home in the Yorkshire hamlet of Kirby Sigston is valued around £1.5 million. According to reports, Akshata Murty owns this property.
- A £7.5 million penthouse property on Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica, California. This property is registered in the name of Akshata.
- A £6.6 million mews home in Kensington, West London. Rishi Sunak owns this property.
- A $300,000 first-floor Kensington apartment on Old Brompton Road. This property is owned by Rishi Sunak.
- Her grandparents raised her in Hubli as her parents struggled in their career life.
- Akshata holds 0.93% of Infosys, worth around $700 million.
- She is one of the wealthiest women in the United Kingdom. Her net worth was reportedly more than that of the late Queen Elizabeth II, who had a net worth of roughly $460 million.
- Rishi and Akshata allegedly spent $450,000 to create a 40-foot swimming pool, a gym, and an outdoor tennis court in their Yorkshire manor property in Kirby Sigston before Rishi Sunak ran for Prime Minister in 2022.
- She spells her surname differently from her father and has dropped the ‘h’ from Murthy.
- According to reports, Akshata has undeclared ownership in several UK companies, including a joint venture with Amazon.
- In an interview, recalling a lecture on work-life balance at Stanford University, she described growing up in one of India’s wealthiest families, saying,
Her husband is Rishi Sunak.
She is currently 43 years old.
She owns around $810 million (as per 2023).