Viggo Mortensen is a Danish-American actor, producer, author, and musician. Following his first movie debut in Peter Weir’s 1985 thriller ‘Witness,’ he has performed in many other well-known movies, including ‘The Indian Runner,’ ‘Carlito’s Way,’ ‘Crimson Tide,’ ‘Daylight,’ and ‘28 Days.’ He received international recognition with his role as Aragorn in the epic film trilogy ‘The Lord of the Rings.’ His appearance in ‘Eastern Promises’ earned him a nomination for the ‘Academy Award’ for ‘Best Actor.’ His performance in ‘A Dangerous Method’ made him a nomination for the ‘Golden Globe Award’ for ‘Best Supporting Actor.’ He also earned a ‘Best Actor’ nomination at the 89th ‘Academy Awards’ for his appearance in ‘Captain Fantastic.’
Also an author and poet, Viggo has several books of poetry, photography, and painting to his name. He organized the ‘Perceval Press’ publishing house to help publish the efforts of little-known artists and authors. He is a famous painter and photographer as well. His paintings, which are largely abstract with pieces of his poetry, have been featured in galleries worldwide. As a musician, he has tested with mixing his poetry and music. He has been awarded an honorary doctorate by his alma mater, ‘St. Lawrence University.’
Viggo Mortensen Wiki/Bio
|Birth Name||Viggo Peter Mortensen Jr.|
|Age||(as in 2023) 65 Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Libra|
|Birth Place||New York City, New York, United States|
|Date of Birth||20 October 1958|
|Residence||Since 2009, he has been in a relationship with Spanish actress Ariadna Gil and currently lives in Spain with her.|
|Home Town||New York|
|Mother’s Name||Grace Gamble Atkinson|
|Father’s Name||Viggo Peter Mortensen Sr. (Managed poultry farms and ranches)|
|Brother||• Charles Mortensen (Younger) (Geologist)|
• Walter Mortensen (Younger) (Geologist)
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Josie Bissett (1997)|
• Gwyneth Paltrow (1997)
• Donita Sparks (1998)
• Lola Schnabel (2004)
• Christina Rosenvinge (2008)
• Ariadna Gil (2008-Present)
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Marriage Date||8 July 1987 and separated in 1997|
|Children||Son- Henry Mortensen|
|School||Watertown High School in New York|
|College/University||St. Lawrence University, Canton|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor’s degree in Spanish Studies and Politics|
|Profession||Actor, author, musician, photographer|
|Brands Endorsed||• Nissan car commercial|
• Perceval Press (his own publishing company)
|Career Manager||Omni Artists|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm|
in meters- 1.80 m
in feet inches- 5’11”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 81 kg|
in pounds- 179 lbs
|Chest Size||39 Inches|
|Biceps Size||15 Inches|
|Waist Size||31 Inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||White|
|Dress Size||Not Available|
|Shoe Size||10 US|
|Favorite MLB Team||New York Mets|
|Favorite Ice Hockey Team||Montreal Canadiens|
|Favorite Guiltiest Pleasure||Sleeping|
|Favorite Soccer Club Team||San Lorenzo (Argentine Soccer Club), Fulham FC (English Soccer Club), Besiktas (Turkish Soccer Club)|
|Favorite Soccer Players||Diego Maradona, Héctor “Bambino” Veira|
Mortensen was born in Watertown, New York, on October 20, 1958, the son of Grace Gamble and Viggo Peter Mortensen Sr. His mother was American, while his father was Danish, they faced in Norway. His maternal grandfather was a Canadian from Nova Scotia. One of his grandmothers was from Trondheim, Norway.
The family relocated to Venezuela, then Denmark, and finally resided in Argentina in the provinces of Córdoba, Chaco, and Buenos Aires, where Mortensen joined the primary school and acquired a graceful proficiency in Spanish while his father operated poultry farms and ranches. He was baptized Lutheran.
When Mortensen was 11 and his brothers 8 and 6, their parents separated and they and their mother turned to the US, where Viggo spent the rest of his childhood in New York, graduating from Watertown High School in Watertown in 1976.
He then attended St. Lawrence University in Canton, receiving a bachelor’s degree in Spanish Studies and Politics in 1980. Upon graduating, he was in England and Spain, then went back to Denmark, where he took many jobs such as driving trucks in Esbjerg and selling flowers in Copenhagen. He finally returned to the United States to seek an acting career.
He married actress and singer Exene Cervenka on July 8, 1987. On January 28, 1988, their son Henry Blake was born. The couple got separated in 1992 and were divorced in 1997. Since 2009, Viggo has been in a relationship with Spanish actress Ariadna Gil.
Viggo Mortensen Net Worth
Viggo Mortensen has a net worth of $45 million dollars.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||$45 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$40 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||Under Review|
|Annual Salary||Under Review|
|Income Source||Actor, author, musician, photographer|
Viggo Mortensen owns a home in Los Angeles, where he lives part-time. The home is located in Venice, California. He also owns property in northern Sandpoint, Idaho.
Viggo Mortensen Movies And TV Shows
- Viggo Mortensen made his first film appearance in ‘The Purple Rose of Cairo,’ but sadly, his scenes were deleted.
- In 1985, he made an appearance as an Amish farmer in Peter Weir’s ‘Witness.’ In the same year, he was starred in ‘Search for Tomorrow,’ an American television soap opera, where he performed the role of Bragg.
- In 1987, he worked in the Martin Sherman play ‘Bent’ which was about homos*xual concentration camp prisoners. In the same year, he guest-starred as a police detective in the series ‘Miami Vice.’
- In the 1990s, he emerged in supporting characters in a number of films like ‘The Portrait of a Lady,’ ‘Young Guns II,’ ‘Prison,’ ‘Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III,’ ‘The Indian Runner,’ ‘The Young Americans,’ and ‘The Crew’ among others. His supporting performance as Master Chief John Urgayle in ‘G.I. Jane’ was significant.
- The significant breakthrough in his career came in 1999 when Peter Jackson cast him as Aragorn in ‘The Lord of the Rings’ film trilogy. He often worked his own stunts and was even injured several times.
- Viggo Mortensen wrote the music for ‘The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King’ soundtrack, in which he also sang ‘Aragorn’s Coronation.’ In the extended DVD edition of the ‘Lord of the Rings’ movie ‘The Fellowship of the Ring,’ he sang ‘The Lay of Beren and Lúthien.’
- In 2002, utilizing some of his profits from ‘The Lord of the Rings’ films, he, along with his partner Pilar Perez, established the ‘Perceval Press’ to help publish the works of little-known artists.
- In 2004, Viggo Mortensen was chosen as Frank Hopkins in ‘Hidalgo,’ which told the story of an ex-army courier who plays with his horse Hidalgo in a desert race for a contest prize.
- He was starred in David Cronenberg’s movie ‘A History of Violence,’ an American crime thriller film, written by Josh Olson in 2005. It was an evolution of the 1997 novel of the same name.
- In 2006, he arrived in the Spanish film ‘Alatriste’ as Captain Diego Alatriste. The film was based on the series of novels, ‘The Adventures of Captain Alatriste.’ In 2007, he starred as a Russian gangster in the film ‘Eastern Promises,’ directed by David Cronenberg.
- In 2009, he performed as himself in ‘Reclaiming the Blade,’ a documentary written and directed by Daniel McNicoll. In the documentary, Viggo Mortensen talked about his passion for swords and his sword-work in films like ‘The Lord of the Rings’ and ‘Alatriste.’ In the same year, he acted in ‘The People Speak,’ a documentary film.
- He then acted in ‘The Road,’ the film adaptation of Cormac McCarthy’s novel of the same name. In 2011, he was starred in ‘A Dangerous Method,’ a German-Canadian-American-British historical film directed by David Cronenberg.
- A highly imaginative individual, Mortensen tested by mixing his poetry and music to produce a new art form. He collaborated with guitarist Buckethead for a number of albums which were released under his own label ‘Perceval Press’ or ‘TDRS Music.’
- He is also an author and has published many books of poetry, photography, and painting. These include ‘Ten Last Night’ (1993), his first collection of poetry, ‘Linger’ (2005), ‘I Forget You For Ever’ (2006), ‘Skovbo’ (2008), a collection of photographs and poems, and ‘Canciones de Invierno–Winter Songs’ (2010), a collection of photographs and poems.
- Mortensen is a painter and photographer as well. His paintings are often symbolic and contain fragments of his poetry. His paintings have been featured in many galleries worldwide.
Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
Young Guns II
The Reflecting Skin
|1991||The Indian Runner|
The Young Americans
Gospel According to Harry
The Passion of Darkly Noon
Black Velvet Pantsuit
The Portrait of a Lady
My Brother’s Gun
|1998||A Perfect Murder|
|1999||A Walk on the Moon|
|2001||The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring|
|2002||The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers|
|2003||The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King|
|2005||A History of Violence|
|2011||A Dangerous Method|
|2012||On the Road|
Everybody Has a Plan
|2014||The Two Faces of January|
Far from Men
The success of ‘The Lord of the Rings’, ‘Captain Fantastic’ and ‘Green Book’
Mortensen firmly planted himself in leading man area with the character of Aragorn, a warrior with royal lineage, in The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001-03). Although he deserved no individual honors, he shared several ensemble awards as the fantasy films went on to gross nearly $3 billion globally.
After a few years away from the screen, Mortensen returned with a bang in the much-praised comedy-drama Captain Fantastic (2016), for which he was nominated for a Golden Globe and an Oscar for Best Actor.
Mortensen found his way onto the awards circuit once again after starring in Green Book (2018). Based on a true story, the film starred Mortensen as blue-collar Italian Tony Lip, alongside Mahershala Ali’s erudite African-American pianist Don Shirley, as they folded their way through isolated pastures of the South in the early 1960s.
|2003 ||National Board of Review |
Online Film Critics Society
|2004||Screen Actors Guild Awards |
Critics’ Choice Movie Awards
|2007||Sant Jordi Awards Satellite Awards|
British Independent Film Awards
Toronto Film Critics Association
|2008||Vancouver Film Critics Circle|
|2011||Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television|
Canadian Screen Awards
|2012||Vancouver Film Critics Circle|
|2018||National Board of Review|
- Viggo has dual citizenship in America and Denmark.
- After finishing his studies from St. Lawrence University in 1980, he traveled to Denmark to live with the woman he loved. Those days, he helped himself by working at a factory and later as a truck driver.
- Mortensen is multilingual and can fluently speak in at least 6 languages, viz., Spanish, Danish, English, French, Swedish and Norwegian.
- He likes horse riding and after the achievement of the shooting for Lord of the Rings trilogy, he purchased all the horses he rode in the movie.
- During the 1980 Winter Olympics operated in Lake Placid, he worked in the position of translator for the Swedish ice hockey team.
- When he was first offered a character in Lord of the Rings, he turned it down. He took the role only after being convinced by his son, who was a fan of the fantasy trilogy book series.
- He made a pair of suggestions for his performance in Lord of the Rings, including asking for more elvish dialogues for his role as well as more saddle time in the movie.
- In 2007, the Empire magazine put him on the 69th spot in the “100 S*xiest Movie Stars in the World” list.
- He only got the role of Sigmund Freud in 2011 release, A Dangerous Mind after the initial pick Christoph Waltz decided to leave the project.
- The painted murals shown in his movie A Perfect Murder (1998) were painted by Mortensen himself.
- In April 2010, he was acknowledged with the knighthood by Queen Margarethe II of Denmark in recognition of his participation in the cinema.
- With the money gained from his work in The Lord of Rings, he established a publication house, Perceval Press to publish works of the struggling writers.
- Viggo Mortensen is not on social media.
His Father’s Name Is Also Viggo. His Mother’s Name Is Grace. After His Parents Divorced When He Was Eleven, He Moved To New York With His Mother And Two Younger Brothers. He Received The Scar On His Upper Lip After Scratching His Face On A Barbed Wire Fence At A Halloween Party.
Mortensen Went On To Do All His Own Stunts In The Film, And Thanks To Graduating ‘sword Academy’ With Flying Colours He Was Allowed To Use A Real Steel Sword, Rather Than One Made From Aluminum And Rubber Like The Rest Of The Cast Used. Like Mortensen, He Also Did His Own Stunts, Which Resulted In Him Breaking A Rib.
Mortensen And Cervenka Lived In Idaho For Three Years. They Separated In 1992 And Divorced In 1997. Since 2009, He Has Been In A Relationship With Spanish Actress Ariadna Gil And Currently Lives In Spain With Her.
Viggo Mortensen Is A Really Nice Guy (Really!) As He Leans Back In The Straight-back Chair At The Dining Room Table Of His Downtown Seattle Hotel Suite, Viggo Mortensen Could Not Possibly Look Less Like Aragorn, The Most Charismatic Character Of The Absurdly Successful “The Lord Of The Rings” Movie Trilogy.
Actor Viggo Mortensen Has Got A Habit Of Adopting His Equine Co-stars. Not Only Did He Purchase 14.2Hh Paint Pony T.J. From His Film Hidalgo, But After Starring In Lord Of The Rings, He Bought Three Horses From The Film.