The richest businessman in India with a net worth of 8,780 Crores US dollars as of Jan 2023, Mukesh Dhirubhai Ambani represents India on a global platform as a billionaire business magnate making him someone who is also admired by many Indians as a role model.
Mukesh Ambani was born on 19 April 1957 and his age is 66 years. He is the Chairman and Managing Director of Reliance Industries. A Fortune Global 500 company and India’s most valuable company by market value.
Mukesh Ambani Bio/Wiki
|Birth Name||Mukesh Dhirubhai Ambani|
|Age||66 Years (as in 2023)|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Aries|
|Birth Place||Aden, Colony of Aden (now Yemen)|
|Date of Birth||19 April 1957|
|Home Town||Mumbai, India|
|Mother’s Name||Kokilaben Ambani|
|Father’s Name||Dhirubhai Ambani (Indian Business Tycoon)|
|Brother||Anil Ambani (Indian Businessman)|
|Sister||Nina Kothari (Industrialist), Deepti Salgaonkar|
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Marriage Date||8 March 1985|
|Children||Sons- Akash Ambani, Anant Ambani|
Daughter- Isha Ambani
|Grand Children||His son Akash Ambani and daughter-in-law Shloka Mehta welcomed their first child Prithvi Akash Ambani.|
|School||Hill Grange High School, Peddar Road, Mumbai, India|
|College/University||Institute of Chemical Technology, Matunga, Mumbai, India|
Stanford University, California, USA
|Educational Qualification||BE degree in Chemical Engineering|
MBA from Stanford University (discontinued)
|Brands Endorsed||Not Known|
|Career Manager||Not Known|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 169 cm|
in meters- 1.69 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 6½”
|Weight (Approx.)||Not Known|
|Chest Size||Not Known|
|Biceps Size||Not Known|
|Waist Size||Not Known|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Not Known|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|S*xual Orientation||Not Known|
|Dress Size||Not Known|
|Shoe Size||Not Known|
|Favourite Food||Idli Saambhar (South Indian Cuisine), Paanki (a Gujarati recipe), Dosa, Gujarati Cuisines, Roasted Groundnuts|
|Favourite Restaurant||Mysore Cafe, Matunga, Mumbai|
|Hobbies||Reading, Hanging out with friends, Watching movies, Jungle adventure, Listening to old Hindi songs, swimming, doing long-walks|
|Controversies||• He is often criticized for manipulating bureaucrats.|
• In 2004, he was criticized for his feud with his younger brother, Anil Ambani, for control over Reliance Industries.
Education & Early Life
Mukesh Dhirubhai Ambani was born toDhirubhai Ambani & Kokilaben Ambani, on 19 April 1957, in Yemen. Dhirubhai Ambani, who began his career as a gas station attendant, had four children. He grew up with his two sisters vNina B. Kothari & Dipti D. Salgaocar, and brother Anil Ambani.
Because of the growing volatile political situation in Aden, the family moved to the Bhuleshwar neighborhood of Bombay in 1958, wherein they resided in a chawl or communal two-room apartments with low rent. Dhirubhai and a relative launched Reliance Commercial Corp. in the same year, which expanded from a commodities-trading operation run out of a one-room renting facility into RIL.
Mukesh Ambani and his brother Anil Ambani both graduated from Hill-Grange High School on Peddar Road in Mumbai. To complete his Senior Secondary Education, he was accepted into St. Xavier’s College in Mumbai.
Ambani graduated from the University of Mumbai with a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering and then went on to Stanford University for a master’s degree in business administration. He did, however, leave the program in 1981 to be with his family.
Mukesh Ambani’s Net Worth
Mukesh Ambani’s net worth is around 8,780 Crores USD.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||8,780 crores USD|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||9,690 Crores USD|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||$100.6 billion|
|Annual Salary||Rs. 15 crore/Annum |
In its annual report, Reliance said Mr. Ambani’s remuneration for financial year 2020-21 was “nil.”
|Cars Collection||Bentley Flying Spur, Rolls Royce Phantom, Mercedes Benz S Class, Maybach 62, BMW 760li|
|Jet Collection||Boeing Business Jet 2, Falcon 900EX, Airbus 319 Corporate Jet|
|House/Estate||• A 27-story house, Antilia, worth $1 billion (approx.)|
• Stoke Park, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
He has amassed his fortune through his position as chairperson, managing director, as well as the largest shareholder of Reliance Industries, an Indian Fortune 500 firm. He is India’s richest man and one of the world’s top 10 richest persons.
- Mukesh Ambani returned to India in 1981 and joined his family’s business, where he sought to diversify the company’s operations, including communications, construction, petrochemicals, petroleum refineries, synthetic fibres, and oil and gas extraction.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, a business services corporation, named him one of the world’s most regarded business executives in 2004.
- After Dhirubhai’s demise in 2002, Mukesh & his brother, Anil, took over as joint CEOs of the Reliance Group. However, feuds between both the brothers for control caused their mom, Kokilaben Ambani, to separate Reliance’s assets through a non-competition contract (2006–2010).
- In the separation, Mukesh acquired management of the gas, oil, & petrochemicals businesses as RIL under the Reliance Group banner.
- Ambani is recognized for establishing the world’s biggest start-up petroleum refineries as well as directing the construction of various cutting-edge manufacturing facilities that significantly expanded RIL’s production capacities.
- In 2006, he was selected to co-chair the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) India Economic Summit—an annual gathering of some of the world’s foremost business leaders, politicians, policymakers, and delegates of non-governmental organizations that consult international markets, economic growth, and important social concerns.
- He became India’s first trillionaire in 2007.
- Ambani was ranked the world’s richest man in 2007 by both the Economic Times journal as well as the Press Trust – India media organization. He founded the Indian Premier League (IPL) cricket team – Mumbai Indians, the following year.
- The business created the world’s biggest grassroots petroleum refinery in Jamnagar, India, under Mukesh Ambani’s leadership, which can produce 660,000 barrels per day in 2010.
- Mukesh Ambani established a joint venture alongside Bharti Airtel in December 2013 to build an internet infrastructure for India’s 4G network.
- On June 18, 2014, he launched three expenditures of Rs 1.8 trillion throughout industries, and on December 27, 2015, he inaugurated 4G broadband services domestically under the brand name Jio.
- Jio debuted its own 4G smartphone, the LYF, in 2016. That year, the mobile was India’s third-best-selling device. Jio 4G was commercially introduced in September of that year.
Mukesh Ambani: Board Memberships
|Member of Board of Governors||Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai|
|Chairman, Managing Director, Chairman of Finance Committee and Member of Employees Stock Compensation Committee||Reliance Industries Limited|
|Former Chairman||Indian Petrochemicals Corporation Limited|
|Former Vice-Chairman||Reliance Petroleum|
|Chairman of the board||Reliance Petroleum|
|Chairman of the Audit Committee||Reliance Retail Limited|
|Chairman||Reliance Exploration and Production DMCC|
|Former Director, Member of Credit Committee and Member of Compensation & Benefits Committee||Bank of America Corporation|
|President||Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University, Gandhinagar, Gujarat|
Mukesh Ambani: Awards
|2000||Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year by Ernst & Young India|
|2010||‘Global Vision Award at The Awards Dinner’ by the Asia Society|
|2010||‘Business Leader of the Year’ by NDTV India|
|2010||‘Businessman of the Year’ by Financial Chronicle|
|2010||‘The School of Engineering and Applied Science Dean’s Medal’ by the University of Pennsylvania|
|2010||‘5th-best performing global CEO’ by Harvard Business Review|
|2010||‘Global Leadership Award’ from the Business Council for International Understanding|
|2010||‘An Honorary Doctorate (Doctor of Science)’ by M. S. University of Baroda|
|2013||Millennium Business Leader of the Decade’ at India Leadership Conclave & Indian Affairs Business Leadership Awards|
|2016||‘Foreign associate, U.S. National Academy of Engineering’ by the National Academy of Engineering|
|2016||‘Othmer Gold Medal’ from Chemical Heritage Foundation|
Mukesh Ambani: ReCognitions
Mukesh Ambani has been listed consistently as India’s richest man for over a decade by Forbes Magazine. In addition to this, he is the only businessman from India on Forbe’s list of the world’s most powerful people. In January 2018, he was ranked 18 by the Forbe’s in its list of the wealthiest person in the world.
In 2018, he surpassed Jack Ma, becoming Asia’s richest person with a net worth of $44.3 billion. Outside North America and Europe, Mukesh Ambani is the wealthiest person in the world. In the year 2015, China’s Hurun Research Institute ranked Mukesh Ambani as fifth among India’s philanthropists.
He also became the first non-American to be the Director of Bank of America. In 2012, Forbes listed him among the richest sports owners in the world. On November 11, 2020, Mukesh Ambani ranked third in the seventh edition of EdelGive Hurun India Philanthropy List 2020 with a donation of ₹458 crores.
- At a traffic stop, Mukesh Ambani engaged to Nita Ambani.
- Mukesh Ambani & his family are protected at the Z level, which is India’s second-highest degree of security.
- In India, he was the first person to buy a Maybach 62.
- Before his father dragged him into the family company, he intended to be a teacher.
- The residence of Mukesh Ambani is the most costly in the world.
- Reliance Industries, owned by Ambani, is the largest participant in the sector, accounting for around 5% of India’s overall tax income.
- Reliance Industries, owned by Ambani, invested more than 900 crores in societal reforms.
- By eating habits, he is a strict vegetarian.
- Mukesh attended Stanford University for his MBA program.
- He enjoys traveling in a vanity van that has been converted to look like a car bus.
When his father died, Ambani’s feud with his brothers split the company between them. He grew the petrochemical, gas, and oil business into a global enterprise to become a rupee trillionaire.
Dhirubhai Ambani applied for the license to set up a PFY plant and faced stiff competition from Tatas, Birlas, and more. Despite the competition, Dhirubhai received the ‘License Raj’. In 1980, he called back Mukesh Ambani to help him build his business.
Although Mukesh Ambani eats eggs, he avoids meat of any sort. Mukesh has never consumed alcohol in his life. He is also a pure vegetarian in food habits.
Ambani earned a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering from the University of Bombay (now the University of Mumbai) and subsequently pursued a master’s degree in business administration from Stanford University.