The Australian goalkeeper Mathew David Ryan (nicknamed- Mat or Maty; born 8 April 1992) plays for the Danish club F.C. Copenhagen and for the Australian national team. Ryan was born in Sydney and played youth football for Marconi Stallions, Blacktown City, and Central Coast Mariners. In 2010, he made his senior debut for Blacktown before moving to the Mariners’ senior squad. Ryan moved to Club Brugge in 2013 and played there for two years before joining Valencia the following year.
Since making his senior international debut in 2012, he has established himself as Australia’s first-choice goalkeeper, replacing his childhood idol Mark Schwarzer. A winner of the Best Goalkeeper award at the 2015 Asian Cup, at which his country won on home soil, he has played at the 2014 and 2018 World Cups as well as the 2015 and 2019 Asian Cups.
Mat Ryan Bio/Wiki
The table below reveals concise information about Mat Ryan. It gives you the ability to read through the Australian footballer profile as fast as possible.
|Birth Name||Mathew David Ryan|
|Nick Name/Popular Name/Shirt Name||Mat or Maty|
|Age||31 (as in 2023) Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Aries|
|Born Place||Plumpton, Australia|
|Date of Birth||8 April 1992|
|Home Town||Plumpton, Australia|
|Hobbies||Watching Movies, Horse Riding, Swimming|
|Mother’s Name||Carol Ryan|
|Father’s Name||David Ryan|
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|School||Westfields Sports High School|
|College/University||Westfields Sports High School|
|Career Manager/ Player Agent||Beckster Int.|
|Debut Club||• 2022: FC Copenhagen|
|Debut International||• 2012: Australia national football team|
|Jersey Number||• 51 (FC Copenhagen)|
• 1 (Australia national football team)
|Current Team(s)||• FC Copenhagen|
• Australia national football team
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 184 cm|
in meters- 1.84 m
in feet inches- 6’0″
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 82 kg|
in pounds- 181 lbs
|Chest Size||42 inches|
|Biceps Size||12 inches|
|Waist Size||32 inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Australian|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Distinctive Features||Not Available|
|Dress Size||8 U.S.|
|Shoe Size||10 U.S.|
|Favorite Playing Position||Goalkeeper|
|Favorite Car||Not Available|
|Favorite Food||Fruits and Veg|
|Favorite Player||Not Available|
|Favorite Pet Animal||Dog|
|Favorite Cell Phone/Brand||Iphone|
Mathew Ryan Biography tells the details about his Childhood, Childhood Story, Parents – Carol and David Ryan (Mother and Father), Family Background, Wife (Ann), Child, Personal Life, Lifestyle, Net Worth, etc.
Our Full Story tells you everything you need to know about the Australian professional footballer best known as Maty.
In this biography, Woodgram begins with Ryan’s childhood and progresses to his fame in soccer.
To whet your appetite for Mat Ryan’s autobiography, we’ve put together a gallery of his Early Life to Success. It tells his story without a doubt.
His athleticism and elegance are well known. He is known for his outstanding reflexes, agility, and shot-stopping abilities between the posts.
Few football fans are aware of his life story despite these accolades. For the love of the game, we have taken the time to prepare Mathew Ryan’s Bio. Let’s get started without further ado.
Childhood Story Of Mat Ryan
In his biography, he is known as Mat or Maty. In Plympton, Australia, Mathew David Ryan was born on the 8th day of April 1992 to Carol Ryan and David Ryan.
Mathew (himself) and Megan, the children of his parents, were the first children born to an Australian goalkeeper.
Ryan Gosling Biography, Age, Height, Family, Kids, Movies, Wiki, Net Worth
Growing Up And The Early Years
During his earliest days, the former Brighton goalkeeper told his Instagram fans he was super joyful. This is true, as we discovered.
When Maty was a little baby, he had no worries about anything. It is impossible for him to go back to those good old days.
As a baby, Mathew Ryan looks happy. Both Megan and I had wonderful childhood memories together.
It’s good to know that the Australian goalkeeper wasn’t an only child.
Childhood moments would have been meaningless without Megan Ryan – his pretty younger sister. Since their infancy, both siblings have enjoyed some solid relationships.
Background Of Mat Ryan’s Family
It is like experiencing heaven as a child growing up in a middle-class home. Mathew Ryan is known for doing this. A humble family background shapes the ex-Brighton goalkeeper.
Every member of his family – Mum, Grandparents, Sister – is well-behaved, respectful, and very educated, according to research.
Origins Of The Mat Ryan family
Interestingly, Plumpton, where he comes from, is so far from Europe and the UK. There are 46 kilometers between Plumpton and Sydney’s central business district in Australia.
This small town’s most successful footballer is Mat, according to sources.
Education Of Mat Ryan
According to the Australian media, he attended Westfields Sports School in Sydney. Mathew Ryan’s parents enrolled him in the institution because of his passion for football.
Our further research reveals that Westfields Sports High School is a government-funded sports institution.
Sports education institute is located in Fairfield West, a western suburb of Sydney, New South Wales.
Story Of Goalkeeping
A Shot-Stopper’s quest began at the age of four. As an amateur player, Ryan played for a number of teams during that period.
When he was ten, he began applying to nearby academies for trials. After a successful trial, Marconi Stallions, a small academy 40 minutes away from his family home, first accepted him.
Mat wanted to move to a bigger academy as he approached the age of sixteen. Getting European football opportunities was his number one priority after graduation from the academy.
Maty left his childhood club Marconi Stallions in 2008 for Blacktown City, where he stayed for one year.
With a different club – Central Coast Mariners – he achieved his long-awaited youth football graduation.
Due to the lack of first-team opportunities, he returned to his old club – Blacktown City, where he became their first-team goalkeeper. Mat had the best start to his professional career with the club.
The Road To Fame
In order to compete for a place in the European footballing league, the young goalkeeper decided to make a change.
In his old club (Central Coast Mariners), where he once met tremendous competition, he left Blacktown City, where he was their first-choice stopper.
Mathew Ryan demonstrated patience after returning to his old club (Central Coast Mariners) as a substitute goalkeeper. While waiting to outrank the goalkeeper above him, he displayed lots of patience.
Mat Ryan Journey To Becoming The Central Coast Mariners’ First Choice
Mathew Ryan finally got the chance to write his name on the team’s first sheet during the 2010–11 Australian A-League season.
An anterior cruciate ligament injury to the Mariners’ first-choice goalkeeper, Jess Vanstrattan, occurred during this time.
After the injury, Ryan was given the chance to prove himself as the number one goalkeeper. In his gameplay, he showed a lot of confidence.
The performance of our boy surpassed that of the club’s first-choice goalkeeper, Jess Vanstrattan, after a series of impressive performances. Ryan was elevated to the team’s starting eleven as a result.
Mat Ryan European Opportunities And Trophies
Even when newly signed goalkeepers tried to displace him, Ryan continued to perform impressively.
He helped his team win the A-League Premiership (Australia’s highest football league).
Mat was overcome by love from his fans during his winning celebration.
Two-time player of the year honors was among his many awards as a rising star. As a result of his records with Australia’s Mariners, he received national recognition.
He was also called up for the national team, much to the delight of his family. As a result of his role in the club’s second A-League trophy, the rising goalkeeper finally caught the attention of Europe.
On May 30, 2013, Club Brugge (a Belgian professional football club based in Bruges, Belgium) signed Ryan. Leaving home, his parents and his brother to live on another continent was a first for him.
Story Of Success
As a result of a series of clean sheets and wonderful displays, he became a crowd favourite in Belgium.
In two consecutive seasons, he won the Belgium Pro League Goalkeeper of the Year award. Here is one of his best memories from the 2014/2015 Belgian Cup celebrations with the Jupiler pro-league.
Since Ryan was so good, Club Brugge offered him a lucrative new contract, a pay increase, and a contract extension. This was done to prevent him from moving to a bigger club like Liverpool, which was interested in him.
Valencia signed Ryan to a six-year deal on 21 July 2015. The new goalkeeper faced competition at the club. The Brazilian goalkeeper (Diego Alves) gave him a tough time. As a result, Ryan sought a loan transfer to Racing Genk, where he immediately gained first-team selection.
Ryan Garcia Net Worth, Record, Wife, Family, Next Fight, Age, Height, Life, Career, & Wiki
Mat Ryan’s Love Life – Single, Girlfriend, Wife?
In addition to the successful goalie, there is a glamorous woman who is his spouse. Mathew Ryan’s wife’s name is Anna, according to sources.
His wife’s decision to remain out of public view is respected by the Socceroos goalkeeper. As a result, we know very little about Ann Ryan.
Family Life Of Mat Ryan
According to him, the deep love he has for his family is the greatest blessing of his life. Football money cannot replace the time he spends with his adorable nuclear family.
In this section, Woodgram discusses his parents, sister, and grandparents in greater detail.
Mat Ryan’s Mother
Carol, his mother, brought so much happiness to his childhood. The Goalie never ceases to celebrate her for this reason.
In addition to enjoying adventures with his mother, Mathew Ryan loves spending time with her. He shared a video with fans showing how he celebrates Mother’s Day.
Mat Ryan’s Father
David Ryan is his name, and unfortunately, he does not appear in his son’s life. A lack of documentation exists regarding Mathew Ryan’s father.
There is no picture of his father on his social media account, which has many family members represented. Thus, he may have been late or no longer be married to Carol Ryan.
Mat Ryan’s Sister
Megan is one of only two people (the other is Carol, his mother) to have been by his side from day one. Three family members who consider themselves best friends never miss a beat.
There is one thing Megan, Maty, and Carol all have in common. Watching tennis matches LIVE is their passion.
At Wimbledon’s center court, they enjoy watching the game together. This photo shows the Trio watching a match between Federer and Djokovic.
Grandparents Of Mat Ryan
The Goalkeeper can’t thank them enough for their support throughout his career. As well as his immediate family, his Grannies have done a lot for him.
Despite the huge time difference between Australia and the UK, both grandparents stay up to watch most of their grandson’s matches.
Mat Ryan Net Worth
In 2023, what will Mat Ryan’s salary be?
In Aug 2022 Mat Ryan signed a contract with FC Copenhagen that ends in 2024 that netted him a whopping salary of £232,475 per year. We have crunched the numbers, this means he earns £639 per day and £27 per hour!
Salary & Net Worth Updated 2023
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||16 Million Euro (14 Million Pound)|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||15 Million Euro (13.3 Million Pound)|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||Not Available|
|Annual or Per Year Salary||£232,475|
|Per Month Salary||£19,373|
|Per Week Salary||£4,470|
|Per Day Salary||£639|
|Per Hour Salary||£27|
|Per Minute Salary||£0.45|
|Current Contract||With FC Copenhagen|
|Loan Contract Signed/Extension||Aug 9, 2022|
|Contract Expires||Jun 30, 2024|
|Contract Signing Amount or Transfer Fee||$550 Thousand|
|Market Value||$5.50 Million|
|Highest Market Value||$11.00 Million (Jun 13, 2019)|
|Income Source||Professional Footballer|
|Cars Collection||Not Available|
His stock is on the rise thanks to his performances on the pitch. Mat Ryan has an estimated net worth of around 16 Million euros (14 Million Pound), and his market value is about $550 thousand.
Ryan Reynolds Biography, Age, Wife, Kids, Movies, Net Worth & Wiki
Mat Ryan FIFA 22 Stats – Potential And Rating
Currently, Mathew Ryan is 31 years old and plays goalkeeping for FC Copenhagen. In FIFA 22, he has an overall rating of 77 with a potential score of 78. There is a 1-star rating for Ryan’s skillmoves.
Mat Ryan FIFA 22 Stats
Overall Rating In FIFA 22
Potential In FIFA 22
|14||Heading Accuracy||12||FK Accuracy|
|40||Short Passing||45||Long Passing|
|10||Defensive Awareness||17||Sliding Tackle|
Whenever he shoots, he prefers to use his right foot. His workrate is Medium / Medium. Based on our database, Ryan’s height is 184 cm and his weight is 82 kg. Mathew Ryan plays with numbers 51 and 1 at the moment.
Mat Ryan With Central Coast Mariners
- He started the 2009-10 season with the Central Coast Mariners youth team and was called up several times to the senior team.
- In 2010–11, Ryan started as the Mariners’ substitute keeper due to an anterior cruciate ligament injury to first-choice Jess Vanstrattan.
- Rhyan Grant scored Sydney FC’s goal when Ryan fumbled a cross in a 1-1 draw against the Mariners on 28 August 2010.
- The FFA Australian Football Awards named Ryan Male U20 Player of the Year in October 2011.
- After making a number of saves, he was named man of the match in a 1–0 win over Melbourne Heart on 17 January 2012.
- Despite Ryan’s penalty in the shootout, they were eliminated on penalties in the Preliminary Final against Perth Glory.
- A-League Young Footballer of the Year and A-League Goalkeeper of the Year were awarded to Ryan in April 2012.
- Among other awards, he received the Mariners Medal and was named to the PFA’s A-League Team of the Season.
- In June 2012, he won the Harry Kewell Medal for the outstanding Australian under-23 player.
- In the 2012–13 A-League season, Ryan was pivotal. He was again named FFA Male U20 Player of the Year in November 2012.
- As a result of Ryan’s penalty, Western Sydney Wanderers beat the Mariners 1–0 on 2 March 2012 to move above the Mariners in the A-League table.
- In the 2013 A-League Grand Final, the Mariners defeated the Wanderers, their first win in four Grand Finals, with Ryan dedicating the victory to the previous three Mariners teams that lost.
Mat Ryan At Club Brugge
- Ryan completed his transfer to Belgian Pro League team Club Brugge on 30 May 2013, despite his Central Coast Mariners contract expiring the next day.
- At home to Sporting Charleroi on 27 July 2013, Ryan made his debut for Brugge and kept a clean sheet in a 2–0 victory.
- Ryan saved a penalty in the 67th minute in a match against K.A.A. Gent on 23 December 2013.
- The match ended in a 3–1 victory for Brugge, and Ryan was later reported to have been offered a lucrative new deal with the club.
- Club Brugge announced on 26 November 2014 that Ryan had extended his contract until 2018.
- Liverpool sent scouts to the 2015 AFC Asian Cup to watch the goalkeeper after a string of fantastic performances.
Mat Ryan At Valencia
- Valencia CF signed Ryan to a six-year contract on 21 July 2015.
- With Diego Alves out with an anterior cruciate ligament injury, he was expected to assume the starting goalkeeper role.
- On 25 July 2015, he made his unofficial debut against PSV Eindhoven.
- Ryan kept a clean sheet in Valencia’s La Liga opener against Rayo Vallecano on 22 August 2015.
- In September, he was forced to miss over a month of football after sustaining a meniscus tear in a draw with Deportivo La Coruna.
- The performance of Ryan’s replacement, Jaume Domènech, led to speculation that he would not return to the starting lineup.
- Ryan wasn’t re-promoted to the starting line-up until late November.
- Ryan made 21 appearances for Valencia in all competitions during the remainder of the season, rotating with Jaume and the returning Alves.
- He returned to Valencia’s starting lineup for the opening matches of the 2016–17 La Liga season, with Alves reportedly seeking a move overseas.
- Ryan lost his starting position when Alves stayed at Valencia. Ryan was being considered by a number of clubs by January 2017.
Racing Genk (loan)
- Ryan returned to Belgium on 30 January 2017 after being loaned to Racing Genk.
- In the Belgian Cup on 31 January 2017, he played his first match, losing 1–0 to Oostende.
- He stated in April 2017 that he would return to Valencia after the season instead of staying in Belgium.
- Genk reached the quarterfinals of the 2016–17 UEFA Europa League, and the Belgian Europa League playoff final with Ryan playing a number of games.
Brighton & Hove Albion
- Ryan signed a five-year contract with newly-promoted Premier League club Brighton & Hove Albion on 16 June 2017 for an undisclosed fee.
- Among the reasons for the transfer was the prospect of playing in the Premier League.
- Ryan made his Brighton & Hove Albion debut on 12 August 2017 against Manchester City.
- On 9 September 2017, Ryan was in goal for Brighton’s first-ever Premier League win against West Brom.
- In the 2017-18 season, Ryan played every minute in the league, keeping 10 clean sheets, one of which came in a 1–0 home win over Manchester United on 4 May 2018.
- On the 8th league game of the season, Ryan kept his first clean sheet of the 2018–19 season.
- Against Newcastle United and Wolves, he made two more clean sheets, one away and one at home.
- As part of his international duty at the Asian Cup, Ryan left Brighton in late December and early January.
- In his first game back, Fulham defeated him 4–2. Against Millwall, he made his FA Cup debut on 17 March. In penalties, Brighton won 5–4 after a 2–2 draw.
Loan To Arsenal For The 2020-21 Season
- Brighton manager Graham Potter informed Ryan in December 2020 that teammate Robert Sánchez would have the opportunity to play in the Premier League for the remainder of the 2020-21 season and Ryan would be free to depart in January if the right offer came along.
- As of 22 January 2021, he is on loan at Arsenal until the end of the season. Previously, Matt Macey and Petr Cech wore the number 33 jersey at the club.
- Ryan made his Arsenal debut on 6 February, covering for a suspended Bernd Leno in a 1–0 loss at Aston Villa.
- Ryan didn’t make an appearance for more than two months after Leno was benched.
- In an eventual 1–1 home draw against struggling Fulham on 18 April, Ryan was beaten when Gabriel conceded a penalty. Josh Maja converted from the spot.
- As a result of going up for a corner, Ryan contributed to Arsenal’s equalizer. On 2 May, Ryan won his first match in an Arsenal shirt in a 2–0 away victory at Newcastle, again being selected over Leno for the second time in four matches.
Ryan joined Real Sociedad on 12 July 2021 for an undisclosed fee. In a 3–2 away win over Granada on 23 September, he made his debut for Sociedad.
Mat Ryan Transfer To Copenhagen
In August 2022, Ryan signed a two-year contract with FC Copenhagen in the Superliga.
Meg Ryan Bio, Age, Husband, Daughter, Movies, Net Worth & Wiki
A strong performance in the 2010–11 A-League led to Ryan’s suggestion that he would be called up for the Australian under-20 team at the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup. Due to a serious knee injury, he missed the tournament.
Ryan was first called up to the Australian under-23 side in November 2011. In a scoreless draw with Iraq on 22 November 2011, he made his debut for the team. Despite their best efforts, the Olyroos failed to qualify for the 2012 Summer Olympics.
- In February 2012, Ryan received his first Socceroos call-up for a 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification match against Saudi Arabia.
- He was selected for the second preliminary round of the 2013 EAFF East Asian Cup later that year.
- In a 1–1 draw with North Korea on 5 December 2012, he made his senior international debut.
- As a result of Ange Postecoglou’s appointment as the new coach in November 2013, long-time Australian goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer announced his international retirement, leaving Ryan as a contender to be the new first-choice keeper.
- Ryan and Mitch Langerak were identified by Postecoglou as the top candidates.
- The Australian squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup was selected in May 2014.
- As Australia lost to the Netherlands, Chile, and Spain in the group stage, he played in all three games.
- His own performance in the tournament was mixed, and he described it as a “massive learning curve”.
- Ryan was selected for the Australian squad for the 2015 AFC Asian Cup in early 2015.
- With just two goals conceded against South Korea, Australia reached the Final thanks to his strong performances.
- With a 2–1 win in extra time, Australia won their first AFC Asian Cup title. The tournament’s Best Goalkeeper award went to Ryan.
- During the 2018 World Cup in Russia, he was named to Australia’s 23-man squad.
- In a 7-1 win over Chinese Taipei on 15 October 2019, Mathew Ryan became the 62nd player to captain Australia.
- Ryan passed Zeljko Kalac as Australia’s second most capped goalkeeper during this game.
Facts About Mat Ryan
A few more facts about Socceroos Shot-Stopper will be revealed in the final section of our biography. The meaning of his amazing body art should be explained first.
Mat Ryan Tattoo
One of his favorite big cats is etched into the ink on his chest. Mathew Ryan has a tattoo of the head of a tiger on his left chest. His body art symbolizes his strength, power, courage, and career ambition.
Maty’s right shoulder blade and arm also contain Rhino tattoos. His body art symbolizes his strength, stamina, sturdiness, endurance, resilience, and goalkeeping ability.
Ryan filmed the entire process of drawing his Arm tattoo.
Ryan Murphy Net Worth, Age, Height, Education, Career & Wiki
Goalkeeping On Water
Ryan enjoys practicing water aerobics as one of his hobbies. Goalkeeping on the water is one of his best cardio exercises.
Rescue Of Wildlife
The generosity with which he rescues and rehabilitates wild animals is unmatched.
During the 2019/2020 Australian bushfire season, Mathew Ryan donated $500AUD (around € 310) to an association for every animal he saved.
The Religion Of Mat Ryan
The goalkeeper is one of the 52% of Australians who practice Christianity. In addition, Mathew Ryan’s first and middle names are Mathew and David, indicating that his parents raised him as a Christian.
The Love Of Big Cats
Lions and tigers are awe-inspiring and beautiful to the Arsenal Stopper. Mat never misses a chance to visit The Big Cat Sanctuary in Ashford, a town in Kent, England.
Sources show Maty’s incredible experience with wild animals, including Lions, Tigers, and Black Cats. In his spare time, the Arsenal goalkeeper looks deeply into nature, which he holds dear to his heart.
A Dog Lover
Household pets are loved by many of us, and Mathew Ryan is no exception. There is a dog at the goalie’s house that is always so playful and fun to watch.
Plumpton natives make healthy lifestyle choices that are indisputably important. Aside from stopping footballers from scoring goals, Mathew is also good at tennis and golf.
He prefers fishing holiday destinations during the off-season. Apparently, catching big fish is also a trademark moment. Mathew Ryan with an 88kg monster bluefin tuna, probably the biggest he’s ever caught.
Mat Ryan Car
In case you didn’t know, Mathew Ryan once drove a cruise ship. It’s possible that he’ll take this job after his football career is over.
Additionally, Los Angeles is one of his favorite holiday destinations across the west. It’s easy to picture him here on one of the many exotic holidays he enjoyed while living in Los Angeles.
Mathew Ryan is 31 years old.
Mathew Ryan is 184 cm tall. Or 6 ft 0 in.
Mathew Ryan’s preferred foot is right.
Mathew Ryan is from Australia.
After reading his biography, you will agree with me that Mat Ryan worked so hard to achieve success. Even poor kids from the slum can dream big and achieve their dreams thanks to him.
It is important to note that his father and mother were key catalysts in his success story. His career life would not be the same without their contributions. They deserve all the accolades for what they have done.
In addition, his sibling’s and friends’ efforts should not be overlooked. As a result of them, he never experienced loneliness or depression during his childhood. Mat Ryan has grown into a cheerful youth as a result of them.
Here Is An Appreciation Note For Your Consideration
Thank you for reading this engaging article about the life journey of the Australian footballer. Hopefully, Mat Ryan’s childhood story has made you believe that patience and persistence can overcome anything.
At WoodGram, we strive for fairness and accuracy in our biographies. Feel free to contact us or leave a comment below if you found anything fishy in the article on Mat Ryan.