Riyad Karim Mahrez plays as a winger for Manchester City in the Premier League, and he is the Algerian national team captain. Mahrez began his career as a youth player for the French club AAS Sarcelles. He turned professional in 2009 with Quimper, where he played for one season before moving to Le Havre, where he played for the reserve team and then for the first team for three years. At the end of his first season with Leicester City, Mahrez helped the team win the Championship and promotion to the Premier League.
During the 2015–16 season, he was the Algerian Footballer of the Year, PFA Players’ Player of the Year, and a member of the Premier League PFA Team of the Year as Leicester City won the league. In his first season with Manchester City, he won the Premier League, FA Cup, and EFL Cup. Mahrez, who was born in France, made his Algerian debut in 2014 and represented the country at the FIFA World Cup in 2014, 2015, 2017, and the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, winning the Africa Cup of Nations in 2019. He was named African Footballer of the Year by CAF in 2016.
Riyad Mahrez Bio/Wiki
Mahrez was born in Sarcelles, France, to an Algerian father and a Moroccan mother. Ahmed, his father, was from Beni Snous, Tlemcen District. He spent many of his holidays in Algeria when he was a child. He was friends with fellow footballers such as Wissam Ben Yedder during his childhood.
Mahrez’s father played football for Algeria. Mahrez’s father passed away from a heart attack when Mahrez was fifteen. In his words, “I don’t know if I started to be more serious after my father’s death, but things started to go my way. Maybe in my head, I wanted it more”.
In 2015, Mahrez married his English girlfriend Rita Johal. They had a daughter the following year. In June 2019, the couple, who by that time had two daughters, was ordered to pay a former nanny more than £3,600 in back wages. Mahrez is now dating model Taylor Ward after splitting from Johal, it was announced in October 2020. The couple announced their engagement on 21 June 2021.
He is a practicing Muslim. He performed the Umrah pilgrimage to Mecca in June 2017. The robbery of Mahrez’s penthouse apartment in Manchester in May 2020 resulted in the loss of hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of valuables. He tested positive for COVID-19 on 7 September 2020.
- Andriy Shevchenko Biography, Age, Wife, Teams, Career, Net Worth & Wiki
- Fernando Torres Biography, Age, Height, Family, Wife, Net Worth & Wiki
Riyad Mahrez Net Worth
Riyad Mahrez has a net worth of $20 million. His market value is currently 44 million pounds. He is the 73rd-ranked player worldwide. Manchester City signed Riyad Mahrez to a contract with a salary of 10.4 million pounds per year.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$20 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||$12 Million|
|Annual Salary||$11 Million|
|Income Source||Professional Footballer|
|Cars Collection||• Bentley|
- Despite being overlooked by teams due to his slender build, Mahrez developed ball skills that made him stand out. Mahrez joined AAS Sarcelles in 2004. A two-month trial at Scottish club St Mirren ended when the weather turned cold.
- Mahrez joined Quimper from AAS Sarcelles in 2009, making 22 appearances and scoring two goals in his debut season. During his time playing for Quimper, he lived with Mathias Pogba.
- After being enticed by the youth system of Le Havre, he turned down offers from leading French clubs Paris Saint-Germain and Marseille in 2010. Initially playing for their reserve team, Le Havre II, he then played 60 times and scored 6 goals for their first team in the French Ligue 2 from 2011 until he left in January 2014.
- Leicester City’s scout Steve Walsh tracked Le Havre teammate Ryan Mendes while Mahrez was playing for Le Havre, but ended up being impressed with Mahrez instead. Mahrez had never heard of Leicester, whom he initially believed to be a rugby club.
- Leicester City signed him on 11 January 2014 for around £450,000 on a three-and-a-half-year contract. Initially, his friends and family were opposed to him moving to England because of the physical nature of the game, believing that his style of play would be better suited to Spain.
- Mahrez made his debut on 25 January 2014, replacing fellow winger Lloyd Dyer in the 79th minute of the 2–0 win against Middlesbrough. Nigel Pearson announced in February 2014 that Mahrez was ready to start games for Leicester after he made four substitute appearances and scored his first goal for the club, an equalizer against local rivals Nottingham Forest in the 82nd minute.
- Mahrez made his Premier League debut on 16 August 2014 and scored his first goal in the division on 4 October 2014 during a 2–2 draw with Burnley. Mahrez played for the Leicester team that won seven of its final nine matches of the season to avoid relegation. In a 2–0 defeat of Southampton on 9 May, he scored both goals and ended the season with four goals and three assists from 30 appearances.
- In August 2015, he signed a new four-year contract with Leicester. Mahrez scored two goals against Sunderland in a 4–2 victory at home on 8 August 2015.
- Mahrez was nominated for the Premier League Player of the Month award after scoring four goals in his first four games of the season. As of 3 November 2015, he had scored seven goals in 10 Premier League games.
- Raheem Mahrez scored a hat-trick in Leicester’s 3–0 win over Swansea City on 5 December to go top of the Premier League, making him the first Algerian to score a hat-trick in the Premier League.
- Mahrez’s transfer value rose from £4.5 million to £30.1 million in January 2016, making him among the top 50 most valuable players in Europe.
- Mahrez was named one of four Leicester players in the PFA Team of the Year in April 2016 and won the PFA Players’ Player of the Year award later that month. This was Mahrez’s first award of this type. Mahrez became the first Algerian to win a Premier League medal when Leicester finished the season as champions.
- In August 2016, he signed a new four-year contract with Leicester. In October 2016, he was nominated for the Ballon d’Or and finished seventh. In December 2016, he won the BBC African Footballer of the Year award.
- The Algerian did not have a particularly successful season, especially with the decline in the level of Leicester, but he helped the club reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League for the first time, scoring four goals and assisting two. Mahrez scored a goal in his 100th Premier League game for Leicester, against Watford, on 6 May.
- Mahrez announced at the end of the 2016–17 season that he would leave the club. In July 2017, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger expressed interest in signing Mahrez, while Roma had a bid rejected for Mahrez.
- Even though his future at the club is uncertain, he spoke of his “focus” in August 2017. On 31 August, the final day of the transfer window, the Algerian Football Federation reported that they had allowed him to leave the national team and travel quickly to Europe in order to complete a transfer to an interested club. However, the transfer did not materialize.
- In January 2018, he again requested a transfer away from the club. Mahrez stopped attending training at Leicester after a move to Manchester City fell through. Former Leicester player and commentator Chris Sutton criticized his behavior. Mahrez criticized the “untrue assumptions” regarding his absence from the team and thanked his teammates for their support.
- Mahrez signed a five-year contract with Manchester City on 10 July 2018. Leicester City received a record transfer fee for signing Mahrez for £60m, making him the most expensive African player. Mahrez also became Manchester City’s most expensive signing.
- Mahrez scored the only goal for Manchester City in a 1–0 away win against Tottenham Hotspur on 29 October 2018. In dedication to Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, who had recently died in a helicopter crash and was the former owner of his previous club Leicester City, he scored a goal.
- Mahrez won his second title with Manchester City on 24 February when he won the EFL Cup against Chelsea, also winning the best player of the EFL Cup despite not participating in the final.
- In Mahrez’s first season with Manchester City, even though he played little (including just 14 league starts), the Algerian won the Premier League title for the second time and first time with Manchester City, becoming the second African player after Kolo Touré to win the title with two different clubs.
- Mahrez missed the 2019 FA Community Shield because of concerns about medications he had been given by the Algerian national team in August. It was described by the Algerian FA as a “non-event”. Mahrez later started in Manchester City’s 5–0 opening day away win against West Ham United, being involved in all 5 of his side’s goals, providing two assists for hat-trick scorer Raheem Sterling and winning a penalty for Sergio Agüero to eventually score after a retake.
- Mahrez scored his first hat-trick for City in a 5–0 home league win over Burnley on 28 November 2020. Mahrez helped City reach their first European Cup final in club history by scoring a direct free kick in a 2–1 away win a week earlier and scoring both goals in a 2–0 home win over Paris Saint-Germain in the second leg of the Champions League semi-finals.
- The French-born Mahrez expressed his desire to represent Algeria internationally in November 2013. In preparation for the 2014 FIFA World Cup, he was called up to the provisional Algeria squad.
- Mahrez made his international debut for the Desert Foxes on 31 May 2014 when he started a pre-World Cup friendly match against Armenia and was later called up to the full squad for the tournament.
- Mahrez scored his first international goal in Algeria’s 3–0 win over Malawi in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on 15 October 2014.
- He was selected to represent Algeria in the final tournament in Equatorial Guinea for the first time in December 2014.
- Mahrez was named to coach Georges Leekens’ Algeria squad for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon. In their opening game, he scored both goals in a 2–2 draw with Zimbabwe and was named Man of the Match.
- With Algeria’s chances of reaching the 2018 FIFA World Cup already over, Mahrez and Leicester teammate Islam Slimani was dropped from the national team. Coach Lucas Alcaraz selected several new players.
- Algeria qualified for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations with a 4-1 away victory over Togo on 18 November 2018, Mahrez’s first goal for the national team since the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations.
- He was named to Algeria’s 23-man squad for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in May. Mahrez was chosen to captain Algeria at the Africa Cup of Nations by coach Djamel Belmadi. Mahrez scored a 90+5 minute goal in a 2–1 win over Nigeria in the semi-finals. Algeria went on to win the tournament, which was their first since 1990.
Facts About Riyad Mahrez
- His father Ahmed was an Algerian.
- He spent most of his childhood holidays in Algeria.
- Mahrez struggled to find a club when he was young because most of them rejected him due to his physical appearance, as well as his lack of athletic ability. As a result of his football technique, Riyad was able to catch their attention after some time of training.
- Riyad signed up to play for AAS Sarcelles in 2004.
- He moved to a club called Quimper in 2009. During his time with the team, he lived with Mathias Pogba, the older brother of Paul Pogba, a Guinean international footballer.
- In 2010, Mahrez moved to the French club Le Havre. Initially, he played for Le Havre’s second team before joining the first team, which competed in the second French league.
- Mahrez thought Leicester City was a rugby club at first.
- After signing a three-and-a-half-year deal with Leicester on January 11, 2014, Riyad joined the club.
- Mahrez extended his contract with Leicester for four more years in August 2015.
- The Italian manager Claudio described him and his teammate, Jamie Vardy, as priceless.
- Mahrez was named one of the top 50 most valuable players in Europe in January 2016. He went from 4.5 million to 30.1 million British pounds in market value.
- When he was a child, he visited a barbershop located in Sarcelles, a commune located 16.3 kilometers from Paris. In today’s world, Mahrez’s fans come from all over the world to ask for his haircut.
- Mahrez was named to the PFA Team of the Year in April 2016. He was also awarded PFA Players’ Player of the Year during the same month.
- With Leicester City, he won the 2015-2016 Premier League trophy.
What happened to mahrez and Rita?
Riyad Mahrez’s former girlfriend Rita Johal has blamed their breakup on the way the player changed after moving to Manchester City. The pair met in 2014 and soon married, but then split up after his transfer from Leicester City to Manchester City in 2018.
Does Riyad mahrez have a child?
Which country is mahrez from?
How old is mahrez?