Priyamani is an Indian multilingual film actress and former model, who works in Telugu, Kannada, Tamil, Malayalam, and Hindi language films. She has established a career in regional Indian films and is the recipient of a National Film Award for Best Actress and three Filmfare Awards in different-language films. Priyamani, born and raised in Bangalore, worked as a model before pursuing a career in films. In 2002, she made her acting debut with a leading role in the Telugu film Evare Atagaadu (2003), a box-office flop.
She gained widespread recognition for her role as village girl Muththazhagu in the Tamil romantic drama Paruthiveeran in 2007, receiving a National Film Award for Best Actress and a Filmfare Award for Best Actress Tamil for her performance. During the same year, she achieved commercial success in Telugu cinema with S. S. Rajamouli-directed fantasy-action comedy Yamadonga.
Priyamani Bio/ Wiki
|Priya Vasudev Mani Iyer
|'Muththazhagu' in the Tamil film "Paruthiveeran" (2007)
Telugu: Evare Atagaadu (2003) as 'Priyamani'
Tamil: Kangalal Kaidhu Sei (2004) as 'Vidya Sadagoppan'
Malayalam: Satyam (2004) as 'Sona'
Kannada: Raam (2009) as 'Pooja'
Bollywood: Raavan (2010) as 'Jamuni'
Malayalam: D 4 Dance (2014) as a Judge
Kannada: Dancing Star 2 (2015) as a Judge
Tamil: Kings of Dance (2016) as a Judge
|(as in 2023) 39 Years
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign
|Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
|Date of Birth
|4 June 1984 (Monday)
|Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
|Listening to Music, Dancing
|Latha Mani Iyer (Former National Badminton Player and Former Bank Manager at the Union Bank of India)
|Vasudeva Mani Iyer (Entrepreneur)
|Prithiviraj (Rumoured, actor)
Jagapthi Babu (Rumoured, actor)
Marital Status, Husband and Children
|Mustafa Raj (owner of an event management company)
|23 August 2017
|Sri Aurobindo Memorial School, Bengaluru and Bishop Cotton Women's Christian Law College, Bengaluru
|Graduation done by correspondence
|Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
RS brothers textiles
Bhima and brother
Uncle John Icecreams
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|in centimeters: 168 cm
in meters: 1.68 m
in feet inches: 5’ 6”
|in kilograms: 60 kg
in pounds: 132 lbs
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity
|In 2012, the Hyderabad media reported that the Aazaan actor, Sachiin Joshi, had teased Priyamani in “allegedly inebriated” state at a party after a match. The reports stated that he had tried to "hold her hand" and "hug" her. However, Priyamani called the reports false and said, "We were just unwinding after the matches. I don’t understand why a story like this has been circulated. All it does is harm Sachiin and my reputations.”
In 2016, Priya shared her engagement news with her fans and well-wishers through Twitter. The actress, who was expecting blessings and good wishes from everyone, was apparently showered with a lot of criticism and nasty comments about her fiance and family. Upset with so much of negativity coming her way, the actress gave a befitting reply to her haters. She wrote, "Fed up of so much of hatred and negativity with regards to the engagement news that I shared this morning hoping that everyone would be a part of my new journey and bless me with ur kind messages..but I’m appalled by so much of negative reactions! Grow up, you people!!! ITS MY LIFE and I’m NOT answerable to anyone apart from my parents and my fiancé!”
In May 2016, Priyamani attracted controversy for her remarks over a rape case. The gruesome rape and murder of Jisha, a Government Law college student in Ernakulam, shocked the entire nation and many celebrities voiced their dissent over the recurrence of such incidents in the country. Priya too took to Twitter to share her agony and wrote that India was not a safe place for girls. She even asked the women to leave the country and move to safe places abroad. She was highly criticized for her statement.
Priyamani acted in a movie titled “Engiruntho Vandaal,” but the film for some unknown reasons never progressed beyond a point. So, the makers of the film did not pay her in full. However, later the film was completed with some other artists and a few of Priya’s hot stills, which had been shot earlier, were also being included in the film. Unhappy with the maker’s act, Priyamani filed a complaint with Movie Artists Association MAA, demanding its intervention, and stop using her content or pay her in full.
Family, Education, and More
Priyamani was born into a Tamil speaking family in Palakkad, Kerala. She modeled for Kancheepuram silks, Erode silks, and Lakshmi silks during her school years. When she was in the 12th Standard, Tamil Director, Bharathiraja, introduced her to the film industry. Her father, Vasudev Mani, who hails from Palakkad from a Tamil family, owns a plantation business and her mother, former national level badminton player, Lathamani, who hails from Thiruvananthapuram, was a bank manager at Union Bank of India.
She has an elder brother, Vishakh, who is in the plantation business with her father. While at school, she actively participated in extracurricular activities and sports. She is the granddaughter of Carnatic vocalist, Kamala Kailas. She is the cousin of film actress, Vidya Balan and the niece of the playback singer, Malgudi Shubha.
Priyamani did her schooling at Sri Aurobindo Memorial School and attended Bishop Cotton Women’s Christian College in J C Road. After completing her schooling, Priyamani modeled for print advertisements. Priyamani pursued a degree in Bachelor of Arts in psychology through correspondence.
Priyamani Net Worth
Being one of the leading actresses in the South Indian film industry, Priyamani is living a luxurious lifestyle. She has an estimated net worth of INR 57 crores as of 2023.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)
|INR 57 crores
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)
|INR 50 crore
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)
Movies – Career
Priyamani made her debut with Telugu film, Evare Atagaadu. She then made her debut in the Malayalam Film Industry with Sathyam, but this film performed poorly at the box office. She was signed by Tamil film director and cinematographer Balu Mahendra to act in the 2005 drama Adhu Oru Kana Kaalam.
Before release, Babith said “Priyamani has come up with an excellent performance in the movie. Her performance would be widely acclaimed.” Adhu Oru Kana Kaalam was critically acclaimed but failed at the box office. However, she won acclaim for her performance in the film. In 2006, Priyamani starred in the Telugu film Pellaina Kothalo. The film was a super hit and got her three Telugu films.
Priyamani managed to prove her acting credentials and commercial appeal with 2007’s Paruthiveeran, directed by Ameer Sultan, in which she has co-starred with debutant Karthi Sivakumar. A rural subject which told the story of a notorious young villager in Madurai, the film won critical acclaim and became a surprise box-office blockbuster. Priyamani’s performance was unanimously praised by the critics.
She had another commercially successful film in Telugu, in the 2007 film Yamadonga and in the Tamil film Malaikottai. She again received critical acclaim in 2008 for her role in the Malayalam film Thirakkatha, in which she played a role based on the turbulent real-life story of late film actress Srividya.
In 2009 she had two Tamil releases, the masala film Arumugam and the remake of the Malayalam blockbuster Classmates, titled Ninaithale Inikkum. The former was a commercial failure: Her Kannada debut film Raam was also a commercial success.
All three of her Telugu releases that year, however, (Drona, Mitrudu, Pravarakhyudu) did not do well at the box office. In 2010 she acted in the satirical film Pranchiyettan & the Saint which became the longest-running Malayalam film since 2005. She won a Filmfare nomination for her role as a Mumbai-based interior decorator in the film.
She was subsequently signed by director Mani Ratnam for his bilingual film, titled Raavanan and Raavan in Tamil and Hindi respectively. Soon after, she was roped in by Bollywood director-producer Ram Gopal Varma for his trilingual film Rakht Charitra.
Varma decided to cast her after seeing her National Award-winning performance in Paruthiveeran. Her Kannada film Vishnuvardhana became a blockbuster hit and later she starred in Anna Bond.
She appeared in an item number in the Bollywood film Chennai Express. She has completed shooting for a Malayalam film, The True Story, and the Telugu film, Chandee, in which she plays Ganga the granddaughter of a freedom fighter, who seeks revenge for the problems her family had to face. She was cast opposite Darshan in the Kannada film Ambareesha in (2014).
In 2014, she posed for a PETA ad campaign, asking the public to boycott zoos that feature caged tigers.
- Priyamani was born into a modest family in Bengaluru.
- She is the granddaughter of the famous Carnatic Vocalist, Kamala Kailas.
- Priya grew up playing Cricket and Hide & Seek with boys as there were no girls of her age in her society.
- Along with sports, she was also good at the dance in her school days and actively took part in extracurricular activities.
- Mani started modeling for brands like Kancheepuram silks, Erode silks, and Lakshmi silks when she was in school.
- Initially, she took up modeling only to earn a little pocket money for herself and never thought of becoming an actress.
- After she passed her 12th standard, the Tamil Film Director, Bharathiraja, introduced her to the Tamil film industry. She played a small role in the Tamil Film “Ullam.”
- She started her acting career in 2003 with the Telugu film “Evare Atagaadu.”
- In 2006, Priya featured in the Telugu Film “Pellaina Kothalo,” which was a super hit and bagged her 3 films.
- Her breakthrough in the Tamil Film Industry was with the film “Paruthiveeran” in which she played the role of ‘Muthazhagu.’
- Some of her popular films include “Yamadonga,” “Malaikottai,” “Thirakkatha,” and “Arumugam.”
- In 2013, Priya made a special appearance in the song ‘1 2 3 4 Get on the Dance Floor’ from the Bollywood film “Chennai Express.”
- Apart from acting, Priya has appeared as a judge on many dance reality shows like “D 4 Dance” (2014), “D2 – D 4 Dance” (2015), “Dancing Star 2” (2015), “Kings of Dance” (2016), “D3 – D 4 Dance” (2016), and “Dancing Star 3” (2016).
- In 2019, she starred in Amazon Prime’s web series “The Family Man.”
- Priya has featured on the covers of many magazines like “Wedding Life Magazine,” “Just For Women Magazine, “FWD Magazine,” and “Grihalakshmi Magazine.”
- She has even walked the ramps for various fashion designers.
- She has worked in different languages like Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, and Kannada.
- She is passionate about animals and often shares her pictures with them on her social media accounts.
- She is fluent in Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi, English, Telugu, and Kannada.
- Priya is the second cousin of the Bollywood actress, Vidya Balan.
- Initially, her parents reluctant about letting her daughter become an actress, but it was her grandmother who supported her and pushed her to pursue acting as her career.
- She met her husband, Mustafa Raj, for the first time during the cricket tournament, CCL (Celebrity Cricket League). At that time, she was the brand ambassador of CCL and Mustafa was taking care of the logistics.
Who Is Priyamani Husband?
Mustafa Raj, He Is An Indian Businessman From Mumbai. He Was One Of The Organizers Of Ccl (Celebrity Cricket League). On 23 August 2017, He Married Indian Actress Priyamani, Who Has Played Several Roles In Tamil Especially In The Film Paruthiveeran.
How Is Priyamani Related To Vidya Balan?
According To Vidya, They Speak A Mix Of Malayalam And Tamil At Home. Her Elder Sister, Priya Balan, Works In Advertising. The Actress Priyamani Is Her Second Cousin. She Is An Indian Film Actress And Former Model, Who Works In Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, And Hindi Language Films.
Is Priyamani A Brahmin?
Actress Priyamani Was Born Into A Tamil Brahmin Family On 4Th June 1984 In Bengaluru, Karnataka State. She Attended Sri Aurobindo Memorial School, Bangalore, And Bishop Cotton Women’s College, Bangalore. She Holds A Bachelor’s Degree In Psychology.
What Is The Age Of Priyamani?
39 Years (4 June 1984)