John Christopher Depp II (born June 9, 1963) more famously known as Johnny Depp is an American actor and musician. Additionally, he has been nominated for three Academy Awards and two BAFTA Awards, in addition to receiving a Golden Globe Award and a Screen Actors Guild Award. Before rising to prominence as a teen idol on the television series 21 Jump Street (1987-1990), Depp made his feature film debut in A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984). A majority of Depp’s work in the 1990s was in independent films directed by auteurs, playing eccentric characters. In addition to his work with Burton, Depp starred in Edward Scissorhands (1990), Ed Wood (1994), and Sleepy Hollow (1999) as the lead in the films.
With his role as Captain Jack Sparrow in the Walt Disney swashbuckler Pirates of the Caribbean (2003–2017), Depp became one of the biggest film stars in the 2000s. Depp was named the world’s highest-paid actor by Guinness World Records in 2012, with earnings of $75 million in a year. Depp started producing films through his company Infinitum Nihil in the 2010s. In addition to Black Mass (2015), he joined Alice Cooper and Joe Perry to form the rock supergroup Hollywood Vampires, then starred in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016) and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018) as Gellert Grindelwald.
Depp had two kids with French singer Vanessa Paradis between 1998 and 2012, including actress Lily-Rose Depp. Depp was married to Amber Heard from 2015 to 2017. Their divorce drew a lot of media attention because they both claimed abuse. In 2018, Depp tried to sue the British tabloid The Sun for defamation; a judge ruled it was “substantially true” that the publication called him a “wife beater”. An American jury found that Heard’s accusations of “sexual violence” and “domestic abuse” were false and defamed Depp in a 2022 trial in Virginia.
Johnny Depp Bio/Wiki
The table below reveals concise information about Johnny Depp. It allows you to read through the famous American actor and musician’s profile as quickly as possible.
|Birth Name/ Real Name||John Christopher Depp II|
|Nickname/ Popular Name||• Johnny|
• Mr. Stench
|Age||60 Years (as of 2023)|
|Religion||Non-religious (He did not identify with any particular religion.)|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Gemini|
|Birth Place||Owensboro, Kentucky, U.S.|
|Date of Birth||9 June 1963|
|Residence||The Hollywood Hills (mainly)|
|Home Town||Owensboro, Kentucky, U.S.|
|Hobbies||Reading, Listening and Writing Music, Art|
|Mother's Name||Betty Sue Palmer|
|Father's Name||John Christopher Depp|
|Sister(s)||• Christi Dembrowski (Film Producer)|
• Debbie Depp
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Lori Anne Allison, Make-up Artist (1983-1985)|
• Sherilyn Fenn, Actress (1986-1988)
• Jennifer Grey, Actress (1989)
• Winona Ryder, Actress (1989-1993)
• Juliette Lewis, Actress (1993)
• Peggy Trentini, Actress (1993)
• Tatjana Patitz, Model and Actress (1993)
• Kate Moss, Model (1994-1998)
• Vanessa Paradis, French Singer (1998-2011)
• Kiley Evans (2011)
• Amber Heard, Actress (2012-2016)
• Joelle Rich (American attorney) (rumoured)
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Wife/Spouse||• Lori Anne Allison (Married 1983-1986)|
• Amber Heard (M. 2015; div. 2016)
|Children||Daughter(s)- Lily-Rose Melody Depp (Actress)|
Son(s)- Jack Depp
|School||• Miramar High School|
• Henry D. Perry Middle School
|Educational Qualification||High School drop out|
|Profession||Actor, musician, film producer, and writer|
|Genre||Alternative rock and hard rock|
|Debut||A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)|
|Member of||Hollywood Vampires|
|Formerly member of||• Rock City Angels|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm|
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet inches- 5'10"
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 78 kg|
in pounds- 172 lbs
|Chest Size||40 inches|
|Biceps Size||12 inches|
|Waist Size||32 inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Depp is of primarily English descent, with some French, German, and Irish ancestry.|
|Distinctive Features||Multi-talented personality|
|Dress Size||8 U.S.|
|Shoe Size||9 U.S.|
|Favorite Pet Animal||Dogs|
|Favorite Drink||Bourbon Sour|
|Favorite Perfume||Sauvage by Christian Dior|
|Favorite Food||Mexican Food, Blueberry and Ginger Bourbon Sour, Chateau Petrus, Chateau Calon-Segur|
|Favorite Books||Ulysses by James Joyce, The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson|
|Favorite Film||Down by Law (Jim Jarmusch, 1986) and Ed Wood (Tim Burton, 1994)|
|Favorite Album||Rain Dogs – Tom Waits|
|Favorite Cigar||Hand-rolled tobacco|
Johnny Depp Family- Parents, Siblings, And Education
The actor John Christopher Depp II was born on June 9, 1963, in Owensboro, Kentucky, the youngest of four children born to waitress Betty Sue Depp (née Wells; later Palmer) and civil engineer John Christopher Depp.
The Depp family moved frequently during Depp’s childhood and eventually settled in Miramar, Florida, in 1970. Depp’s parents divorced when he was 15, and his mother later married Robert Palmer, whom he has referred to as an “inspiration”.
As a child, Depp received a guitar from his mother, and he began playing in bands when he was twelve years old. At the age of 16, he dropped out of Miramar High School to pursue a career as a rock musician. Two weeks later, he attempted to return to school, but the principal advised him to pursue his dream of becoming a musician instead.
In 1980, Depp became a member of the band The Kids. Following modest success in Florida, the band relocated to Los Angeles in search of a record deal, renaming itself Six Gun Method. Besides his involvement with the band, Depp held a variety of odd jobs, such as telemarketing.
Depp married makeup artist Lori Anne Allison, the sister of his band’s bassist and singer, in December 1983. Depp began collaborating with Rock City Angels in 1984 after splitting up with The Kids. It was he who co-wrote the song “Mary”, which was featured on Young Man’s Blues, their debut album on Geffen Records. Allison and Depp divorced in 1985.
Depp is primarily of English descent, with some French, German, and Irish ancestry. Around 1700, a French Huguenot immigrant named Pierre Dieppe settled in Virginia and gave him the surname Dieppe.
According to interviews Depp gave in 2002 and 2011, “I suppose I have Native American ancestry somewhere down the line.” My great-grandmother grew up Cherokee or maybe Creek Indian. That makes sense because she grew up in Kentucky, which is rife with Cherokee and Creek Indians.
The claims of Depp were questioned when Indian Country Today reported that he had never inquired about his heritage or been recognized as a Cherokee. Depp has no documented Native American ancestry, and Native American community leaders consider him to be “a non-Indian” and a pretender.
As well as his choice to name his rock band “Tonto’s Giant Nuts”, Depp’s choice to portray Tonto in The Lone Ranger was criticized. LaDonna Harris, a member of the Comanche Nation, adopted Depp as an honorary son during the promotion for The Lone Ranger, making him an honorary member of her family but not a member of any tribe.
At the time of his adoption, Depp was given the name Mah Woo May, which means shapeshifter in Comanche. Native Americans responded critically to Depp’s claims, including satirical portrayals of him by Native comedians. As a result of allegations of racism and cultural appropriation, Dior pulled an advertisement featuring Depp with Native American imagery for its fragrance “Sauvage” in 2019.
Johnny Depp Net Worth
Johnny Depp has a net worth of $210 million as of 2023. At the box office, Johnny Depp’s many successful films have grossed over $3.4 billion in America and $8.7 billion globally.
Salary & Net Worth Updated 2023
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||$210 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$150 Million|
|Annual or Per Year Salary||$25 Million+|
• Mont Blanc
• Man Ray
• Disneyland Ride
• Tom Ford
• A.S. 98
• Dior Sauvage
|Income Source||Actor and musician|
|Business Ventures||• Infinitum Nihil, where he's the founder and CEO|
|House(s)||• Hollywood Hills|
• LA Penthouses
• Côte d'Azur
• Meudon, Paris
• Private Island In Bahamas
• Somerset Mansion: Johnny Depp’s House in England
|Cars Collection||• Chevrolet Nova|
• Chevrolet Corvette
• Ferrari 488 Spider
• Lamborghini Aventador
• Porsche 911 Carrera S
• Rolls Royce Wraith
• Range Rover
• Lincoln Navigator
• BMW 7-Series
• Mercedes-Maybach S650 Cabriolet
Note: He has 45+ cars.
In some years, his salary has exceeded $100 million, making him one of the highest-paid actors in the world. As a result of a lawsuit filed against Johnny’s former business managers, it was revealed that Johnny earned $650 million in salaries, backend profits, and endorsement contracts between 2003 and 2016.
As a consequence of an unimaginably lavish lifestyle, Johnny was at various times on the brink of insolvency as a result of that same lawsuit. In his peak years, his monthly lifestyle costs exceeded $2 million. In this article, you can read more about Johnny’s infamous financial situation.
Johnny Depp Owns “Infinitum Nihil” And “Hollywood Vampires”
Infinitum Nihil is a production company founded and operated by Depp alongside his sister, Christi Dembrowski, who serves as president. Additionally, Depp is a talented musician.
Together with Alice Cooper and Joe Perry, he formed the band Hollywood Vampires in 2015, releasing their self-titled debut studio album in September of that year. Depp co-wrote three of the album’s original songs. In June 2019, Rise released its second studio album.
As part of his partnership with Dior, Johnny launched the brand’s latest fragrance, Sauvage, in 2015. The fragrance has been featured in a number of print and television advertisements.
The actor reportedly signed an extension to Dior’s multi-year “seven-figure” endorsement contract in August 2022.
Defamation Lawsuits On Johnny Depp By Amber Heard And Financial Losses
When the divorce was finalized, Amber Heard received a settlement of $7 million from Depp. Upon receiving the settlement, Amber pledged to donate the funds to charity, specifically to the Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles and the ACLU.
Johnny claimed in January 2021 that Amber had lied about donating the funds to charity. To determine how much Heard actually donated, Depp’s lawyers apparently contacted the Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles and the ACLU.
As reported in the media, the ACLU refused to provide the numbers, but the Children’s Hospital reported only receiving $100,000, which is approximately $3.4 million short of the amount she allegedly promised. Apparently, the hospital contacted Heard to inquire as to whether the pledge would not be fulfilled.
According to an April 2018 article in The Sun, Johnny Depp was referred to as a “wife beater” by News Group Newspapers. In 2020, the lawsuit was brought to trial. During the course of several days, both Heard and Depp testified.
As of November 2020, a judge ruled that 12 out of 14 alleged incidents of violence that Heard incurred were “substantially true.” Depp lost his appeal in March 2021.
Johnny filed a defamation lawsuit against Amber Heard in Virginia in 2019. As a direct response to an op-ed Amber Heard wrote for The Washington Post in December 2018 detailing her alleged abuse, he requested a settlement of $50 million.
Despite the fact that Heard did not mention Depp by name, he felt she implied that he was responsible for various acts of violence despite earlier joint statements from the couple stating that neither person ever intended to hurt the other.
According to Depp, Heard’s behavior included punching, kicking, throwing objects, and even defecating, resulting in him experiencing domestic abuse. The legal team representing Depp published evidence to support his allegations, and Heard’s request to dismiss the case was denied.
A counter-suit was filed in August 2020. Defamation proceedings began in Fairfax County, Virginia, on April 11, 2022.
As a result of Johnny’s defamation, a jury in Virginia awarded him $15 million in damages on June 1, 2022. As a result of Virginia’s cap on punitive damages, the total amount was reduced to $10.35 million. Amber was also awarded $2 million in damages by the jury. It is possible to appeal these damages.
Financial Situation Of Johnny Depp In 2023
Throughout his career, Depp’s finances were managed by a company called The Management Group. His lawsuit in 2017 accused them of “gross mismanagement and, at times, outright fraud.”
According to Depp, the company caused him to lose tens of millions of dollars, incur debt of more than $40 million without his knowledge, fail to file his property taxes on time, make unauthorized loans, and overpay for security and other services.
Management Group countersued, claiming that even though Depp had received $650 million in the previous 13 years, his unbelievably lavish spending habits did not allow him to cover his basic monthly expenses, which exceeded $2 million per month, despite his unbelievably lavish spending habits. According to them, Depp put himself in this position by overspending recklessly.
During the height of his career, Depp reportedly spent $3.6 million per year to maintain a 40-member full-time staff, $30,000 per month on wine, $150,000 per month on bodyguards, and $200,000 per month on travel on private jets. Additionally, he purchased more than 14 homes worldwide at a cost of $75 million, including a 45-acre chateau in France, a horse farm in Kentucky, and several islands in the Bahamas.
Approximately $100 million would be the market value of his entire real estate portfolio if he were to sell it all. His collection includes several yachts, more than 45 cars, memorabilia stored in 12 storage facilities, and works by artists such as Andy Warhol. Also, Depp reportedly spent $5 million for the ashes of Hunter S. Thompson to be shot from a 153-foot tower by a cannon.
There is no doubt that Depp is one of Hollywood’s highest-paid actors. In addition to $20 million upfront, he receives 20% of the backend of each movie. The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise alone has earned more than $300 million as a result of this deal. In addition, he earned $55 million in backend earnings from “Alice in Wonderland.”
Among Johnny Depp’s Highest Salaries And Earnings Are The Following
Johnny earned a salary of $45,000 per episode while starring in “21 Jump Street”. In the mid-1990s, he began receiving major film salaries. In 1995, he earned $5 million for the film “Nick of Time” after, in 1997, he earned an additional $5 million for the film “Donnie Brasco”.
Johnny earned $10 million for his first role as “Jack Sparrow” in the 2003 film “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl”. In the second installment of the “Pirates” series, he received a base salary of $20 million. Additionally, he earned $40 million in backend points, for a total of $60 million. From the third “Pirates” film, he earned a total of $55 million.
A low base salary and high backend points were paid to Johnny in 2010 for “Alice In Wonderland”. The movie earned $1 billion worldwide, resulting in a payout of $55 million. It currently ranks among the 20 largest acting paychecks for a single film.
“Rum Diary” brought him $15 million, “Rango” brought him $7.5 million, “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” brought him $18 million, and “The Tourist” brought him $20 million.
Johnny was paid $16 million for his role in the third installment of the “Fantastic Beasts” movie franchise in 2020. According to his contract, Warner Brothers was required to pay him regardless of the circumstances. After the Amber Heard lawsuit, Johnny was terminated but still earned $16 million without lifting a finger.
Johnny Depp: Real Estate And Houses
Johnny Depp’s primary residence in Los Angeles consists of five contiguous lots that cover a total area of 2.75 acres. A little over 7,000 square feet is devoted to the main mansion, which includes eight bedrooms and ten bathrooms.
In total, there are believed to be 35-40 bedrooms in all the houses on the estate.
Previously, Johnny owned five penthouse apartments in the “Eastern Columbia” building in downtown Los Angeles. He acquired these penthouses between 2007 and 2008 for a total of $7.2 million. He sold them all together in 2017 for $10.9 million after listing them for a combined $12.8 million the previous year.
There is a special mural painted by Tim Burton on the property. In spite of the fact that the collection consists of five separate units, Depp is alleged to have treated each as a separate room in a house, connecting three of the five separate apartments by doorways to be used as entertaining areas.
Two other units on Depp’s property were used as a guest suite and an art studio, respectively. The apartments are designed in Art Deco style, with vibrantly textured walls, as well as a unique mesh of furnishings that show the owner’s individuality. A significant feature of the property, according to listing agent Kevin Dees of Partners Trust, is the spectacular views of the city that each of the five units offers.
Johnny owns a 41-acre horse ranch in Lexington, Kentucky.
Johnny acquired the property in 1995 for $950,000 and sold it in 2001 for $1 million. He then repurchased the property in 2005 for $2 million as a gift for his mother. She lived there until she passed away in 2016. In 2020, Johnny sold the property for $1.35 million.
Johnny Depp and his then-partner Vanessa Paradis acquired the 37-acre estate in 2001 for an undisclosed amount in a town called Plan De La Tour, approximately 17 miles from Saint-Tropez. Approximately $10 million was spent renovating the grounds and structures, some of which were well over 200 years old.
There are dozens of buildings on the estate, including an entire small village dating back to the 19th century. Approximately 4,300 square feet of living space are devoted to the main house, which features five bedrooms and three bathrooms.
This property has 12 bedrooms and 12 bathrooms, over 10,763 square feet of living space, consisting of the main house, several guest cottages, and a staff house. The property features a vaulted grotto with a daybed covered with sumptuous fabrics, bedrooms with canopy beds, and numerous fireplaces. It is imperative that we do not allow those European nights to chill us to the core!
There is no doubt that the estate was designed to take advantage of the beauty and recreation of the outdoors. Additionally, the property includes a full-length swimming pool with a dining pavilion and cabana constructed with stone flooring and heavy beam canopies, a vineyard, numerous gardens, orchards, and walking paths filled with seasonal perennials.
The property was listed for sale by Depp in 2015 for a little over $25 million. The property was quietly re-listed for $55 million in February 2021.
There is a property owned by Johnny in a suburb of Paris called Meudon. As a result of their separation, Vanessa is believed to have received this property.
Private Island In Bahamas
In the Bahamas, Johnny owns a 45-acre, mostly undeveloped private island. A 3,500 square foot home sits on the island surrounded by six pristine white sand beaches and palm trees lining a lagoon.
In a private harbor on the island, Depp’s 156-foot steam-powered yacht, Vajoliroja, is docked. Eco-friendly, the island home runs on solar-hydrogen power and was constructed using sustainable architecture and green building practices.
Johnny Depp Relationships – Girlfriends, Wife, And Kids
There is a saying that goes, “relationships fade, but “wino perks! In the years prior to his rocky marriage with Amber Heard and separation from her, Johnny Depp was in a number of high-profile relationships with celebrities, including Winona Ryder and Jennifer Grey. Over the course of his decades in the spotlight, he has romanced many of Hollywood’s most prominent figures.
In his first marriage, Depp was married to makeup artist Lori Anne Allison. It was their marriage in 1983 that led to the Pirates of the Caribbean actor’s big break in Hollywood, although their marriage only lasted two years. He landed his first major acting role in the 1984 horror classic A Nightmare on Elm Street due to his friendship with Nicolas Cage.
Following his divorce from Sherilyn Fenn in 1985, the Sweeney Todd actor met Twin Peaks alumna Sherilyn Fenn. Despite being engaged for a time, the couple split after three and a half years of marriage.
Shortly after Depp proposed, the actor and ’80s film icon Jennifer Grey called off their engagement.
Winona Ryder was also present, of course! Depp proposed to Moore after co-starring in 1990’s Edward Scissorhands. Even though the couple split up before they were married, one part of their iconic relationship remains in infamy: a tattoo on Depp’s arm that once read “Winona forever” but now reads “wino forever.”
A few more failed relationships followed before Depp found his romantic footing with Vanessa Paradis, whom he remained with for 14 years. The couple welcomed two children during their relationship: Lily-Rose in 1999 and Jack in 2002.
After their breakup in 2012, he opened up to Rolling Stone about the situation.
It was not an easy task for Paradis. It was not an easy experience for me. As he stated in the June 2013 interview, it was not easy on the children. You care for that person, and they are the mother of your children, and you will always know one another, and you will always be a part of each other’s lives as a result of these children. You might as well make the most of the situation.”
Here is a look back at some of the most famous and infamous relationships of the A-lister actor.
Lori Anne Allison
In 1983, Depp married the makeup artist for the first time.
The future superstar was just 20 years old at the time, and Allison was a bandmate’s sister. Two years later, in 1985, the couple divorced.
During the production of Dummies, Depp met Fenn.
While they dated for three-and-a-half years, she appeared on an episode of Depp’s television show 21 Jump Street in 1987.
In the late ’80s, the Golden Globe nominee proposed to the Dirty Dancing actress, but the couple called off their wedding shortly afterward.
At the premiere of 1989’s Great Balls of Fire, the actor-producer met Winona Ryder for the first time. The actress was only 17 years old at the time. Depp proposed to her after they costarred in Edward Scissorhands in 1990.
In a 2009 interview with Elle UK, Ryder reflected on the end of their relationship more than a decade after they called it quits in 1993, describing it as her “first true heartbreak.”
A stylish couple! The first time Depp hooked up with Moss was in 1994. Black Mass star was arrested for allegedly trashing a hotel room at the Mark Hotel in New York City during their romance. According to reports, police found a couple sitting among the debris when they entered the scene.
There has never been anyone who has been able to take care of me. Moss told Vanity Fair in 2012 that Johnny did for a short period of time during their relationship and their subsequent breakup in 1998. “Like if I asked, ‘What do I do?’ he would tell me. That is what I missed when I left. It was really difficult for me to gauge who I could trust. It’s a nightmare. It has been years and years of crying. My eyes were filled with tears! ”
A short period of time in 1994 was spent dating Barkin by Depp. During their brief relationship, the couple made several red carpet appearances.
In a November 2019 deposition played during the actor’s defamation trial against Heard three years later, Heard accused Depp of being “demanding and controlling” during their relationship.
It has been his longest love! Depp was married to French model, actress, and singer Vanessa Paradis for fourteen years. Depp explained to Extra in 2010 why they did not walk down the aisle.
As he explained at the time, he never found himself in need of that document. “Marriage is truly a union of souls and hearts. You do not require someone to say, “Okay, you’re married now.”. It is perfectly acceptable for Vanessa to get married if she wishes to do so. However, I would be very concerned about ruining her last name. It is such a good last name that she has.”
Having met on the set of The Rum Diary in 2009, the couple began dating in 2011. A few days before their planned February 2015 nuptials in the Bahamas, they decided to tie the knot.
Following 15 months of marriage, the Pirates of the Caribbean actor filed for divorce from the Danish Girl actress in 2016. After both sides accused each other of domestic abuse, the former couple was caught in the middle of a messy court battle.
A jury ruled in June 2022 that Heard had defamed Depp by publishing an op-ed in 2018 about domestic violence survivors. It was ordered that she pay him $10 million in compensatory damages and $5 million in punitive damages. Depp’s attorney was also found to have defamed Heard in a statement; she was awarded $2 million in compensatory damages as a result.
Us broke the news in September 2022 that Depp had begun seeing the lawyer who represented him in his U.K. libel suit against The Sun.
“Their chemistry is second to none. There is a serious relationship between them. The couple is the real deal,” a source told Us, noting that she is going through a divorce.
Despite not being a member of the legal team representing Heard in his defamation trial in 2022, Rich was in the courtroom to support him: “There was no professional obligation for her to be there. The matter was personal to me.”
Johnny Depp Movies Career In Year-To-Year Order
At the age of 20, Depp moved to Los Angeles with his band. As a result of the band’s breakup, Depp’s then-wife Lori Ann Allison introduced him to Nicolas Cage, an actor. After becoming drinking buddies, Cage advised him to pursue a career in acting. Having read a biography of James Dean and watched Rebel Without a Cause, Depp became interested in acting.
With no acting experience, Depp said he “ended up acting by accident” after Cage helped him to get an audition with Wes Craven for A Nightmare on Elm Street. Having caught the attention of Craven’s daughter, Depp landed the role of Freddy Krueger’s victim, the main character’s boyfriend.
While Depp claimed that he had no desire to be an actor, he continued to be cast in films, earning enough to cover some of the bills that his musical career left unpaid.
1985–1989: “Private Resort” And “21 Jump Street”
- Following his role in the 1985 comedy Private Resort, Depp was tapped by the film’s director to play the lead role in the 1986 skating drama Thrashin’, but the film’s producer overruled the casting.
- In Oliver Stone’s 1986 Vietnam War drama Platoon, Depp played a Vietnamese-speaking private.
- The Fox television series 21 Jump Street, which premiered in 1987, made him a teen idol when he starred as an undercover police officer in a high school operation.
- In accepting this role, he was inspired by actor Frederic Forrest.
- Depp, despite his success in the series, felt that the series forced him into the role of a product.
Independent Movies First Collaborations With Tim Burton
- John Waters’ Cry-Baby, a musical comedy set in the 1950s, was his first film released in 1990. Over the years, it has gained cult classic status despite not being a box-office success at the time of its release.
- In 1990, Depp starred alongside Dianne Wiest and Winona Ryder in Tim Burton’s romantic fantasy film Edward Scissorhands. With a domestic gross of $53 million, the film was a commercial and critical success.
- The film earned Depp his first Golden Globe nomination. This role led to the name Kootenichela deppi (chela is Latin for claws or scissors) being given to an extinct arthropod with prominent claws after Depp.
- In the following two years, Depp did not appear in any films except for a brief cameo in Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991), the sixth installment of the A Nightmare on Elm Street film series.
Johnny Depp In 1993 – “Arizona Dream”, “Benny & Joon”, And “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape”
- A total of three films were produced by him in 1993. An eccentric and illiterate silent film fan, he played a befriender of a mentally ill woman and her brother in the romantic comedy Benny and Joon. In recognition of his performance, Depp received a second Golden Globe nomination.
- In 1993, he co-starred with Leonardo DiCaprio and Juliette Lewis in Lasse Hallström’s What’s Eating Gilbert Grape. Although it did not perform well commercially, it received positive reviews from critics.
- In 1993, Depp was featured in Emir Kusturica’s surrealist comedy-drama Arizona Dream, which won the Silver Bear at the Berlin International Film Festival.
Johnny Depp In 1994- “Ed Wood”
- Depp reunited with Burton in 1994 to play the title role in Ed Wood, a biographical film about an inept director.
- Having the opportunity to act with Martin Landau, who played Bela Lugosi, gave him a chance to stretch out and have some fun.
- Despite not recouping its production costs, Ed Wood was well received by critics, according to Maslin, who wrote that Depp had “proved himself as a certified great actor” and “captured all the optimism that kept Ed Wood going, thanks to his extremely funny ability to see the silver lining of any cloud”. For his performance, Depp was nominated for a third Golden Globe for Best Musical or Comedy Actor.
1995- “Don Juan DeMarco”, “Dead Man”, And “Nick of Time”
- In the following year, Depp starred in three films. As Don Juan, the world’s greatest lover, he played opposite Marlon Brando in the box-office hit Don Juan DeMarco.
- In Jim Jarmusch’s Dead Man, a black-and-white Western, he played the title role; the film wasn’t a commercial success and received mixed reviews.
- He played an accountant who is ordered to kill a politician to save his kidnapped daughter in the financial and critical failure Nick of Time.
Johnny Depp In 1997- “The Brave”‘ And “Donnie Brasco”
- The crime drama Donnie Brasco, directed by Mike Newell, starred Depp and Al Pacino in 1997. In the film, Depp played Joseph D. Pistone, an undercover FBI agent who assumes the name Donnie Brasco to infiltrate the New York Mafia.
- In 1997, Depp made his directorial and screenwriting debut with The Brave. There were generally negative reviews for its Cannes premiere in 1997. Depp did not release The Brave in the United States due to the negative reviews.
In 1999- “The Ninth Gate”, “The Astronaut’s Wife”, And “Sleepy Hollow”
- In 1999, Depp appeared in three films. A sci-fi thriller co-starring Charlize Theron, The Astronaut’s Wife, was not a commercial or critical success.
- A second film starred Depp as a seller of old books who becomes entangled in a mystery in Roman Polanski’s The Ninth Gate. Audiences responded moderately better to it, but reviews were mixed.
- Lastly, Depp starred alongside Christina Ricci and Christopher Walken in Burton’s adaptation of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Commercially and critically, Sleepy Hollow was a success.
2000- “Chocolat”, “Before Night Falls”, And “The Man Who Cried”
- A British-French drama directed by Sally Potter, The Man Who Cried (2000) starred Depp as a Roma horseman opposite Christina Ricci, Cate Blanchett, and John Turturro. Critics did not like it.
- He played a Roma man in Hallström’s critically and commercially successful 2000 film Chocolat, in which Juliette Binoche’s love interest was played by him.
2001- “Blow”, And “From Hell”
- In his next two roles, Depp portrayed historical figures. In Blow (2001), he played cocaine smuggler George Jung, a member of the Medellín Cartel in the 1980s.
- Depp played Inspector Frederick Abberline, who investigated the Jack the Ripper murders in 1880s London, in the comic book adaptation From Hell (2001). Despite mixed reviews, the film was moderately successful commercially.
With “Pirates Of The Caribbean” And “Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl”, Johnny Depp’s Career Took Off In 2003
- In 2003, Depp starred in the Walt Disney Pictures adventure film Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, which was a major box office success.
- Among his many accolades were Academy Award, Golden Globe, and BAFTA nominations, and an MTV Movie Award and Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Actor.
- The other film he released in 2003 was Robert Rodriguez’s action film Once Upon a Time in Mexico, in which Depp played a corrupt CIA agent. The film was moderately successful at the box office and received average to good reviews. Depp’s performance, in particular, received praise.
2004-2005: From “Secret Window” To “Corpse Bride”
- In the thriller Secret Window (2004), based on a Stephen King short story, Depp played an author with writer’s block. The film was moderately successful commercially but received mixed reviews.
- The Libertine (2004), a British-Australian independent film released around the same time, starred Depp as the seventeenth-century poet and rake, the Earl of Rochester. There was only a limited release of the film, and it received mostly negative reviews.
- In 2004, he earned a second Academy Award nomination for Finding Neverland, as well as Golden Globes, BAFTAs, and SAG nominations for his portrayal of Scottish author J. M. Barrie.
- Also in 2004, Depp appeared in Happily Ever After as a cameo and established a film production company called Infinitum Nihil under Warner Bros. Pictures.
- As Willy Wonka in Tim Burton’s adaptation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), Depp continued his box-office success. In addition, Depp was nominated for another Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical for the film.
- In 2005, Depp voiced Victor Van Dort in another Burton stop-motion animation, Corpse Bride (2005).
2006-2007: “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest”, “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End”, And “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”
- As Jack Sparrow, Depp starred in a string of successful sequels, including Dead Man’s Chest (2006) and At World’s End (2007).
- As well as the video game Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow, he voiced the character.
- The musical Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) marked Depp’s sixth collaboration with Burton.
- The role of Depp was influenced by Peter Lorre’s portrayal of a “creepy but sympathetic” surgeon in Mad Love (1935). The first film in which Depp had to sing was Sweeney Todd.
- He prepared for the role by recording demos with his old bandmate Bruce Witkin instead of hiring a vocal coach. In addition to winning the Golden Globe for Best Musical or Comedy Actor, Depp was nominated for an Academy Award for the third time.
2009-2010: From “The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus” To “The Tourist”
- Michael Mann’s 1930s crime film Public Enemies starred Depp as real-life gangster John Dillinger. Commercially, it was successful and received moderately positive reviews.
- Terry Gilliam directed Depp’s second film of 2009, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Colin Farrell, Jude Law, and Johnny Depp all played the same character originally played by Heath Ledger, who died before the film was completed. Matilda Ledger, Ledger’s daughter, received all three actors’ salaries.
- The 2010s began with Depp playing the Mad Hatter opposite Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway, and Alan Rickman in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland (2010). Amidst mixed reviews, it became the second-highest-grossing film of 2010 and one of the highest-grossing films of all time with US$1.025 billion.
- In 2010, Depp starred opposite Angelina Jolie in the romantic thriller The Tourist. Although panned by critics, it was a commercial success. Both films earned him Golden Globe nominations for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy.
2011-2012: From “Rango” To “Dark Shadows”
- Depp’s first 2011 feature film was Rango, in which he voiced the title character, a lizard. Critically and commercially, it was a major success.
- Another box office hit of the year was his second film, On Stranger Tides, the fourth installment of the Pirates series.
- The first two projects co-produced by Depp’s company, Infinitum Nihil, were released later in 2011. Depp starred in the film adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson’s novel The Rum Diary. Despite mixed reviews, it failed to bring back its production costs.
- The company’s second project, Martin Scorsese’s Hugo (2011), also received critical acclaim but did poorly at the box office.
- Also in 2011, Depp appeared in the Adam Sandler film, Jack and Jill.
2012–2015: Career Setbacks Of Johnny Depp
- With earnings of US$75 million, Depp was listed by Guinness World Records as the world’s highest-paid actor in 2012.
- The following year, he appeared in cameo roles in the feature film adaptation of 21 Jump Street with co-stars Peter DeLuise and Holly Robinson.
- As well as starring in and co-producing Dark Shadows (2012) with Helena Bonham Carter, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Eva Green, Depp also directed the film.
- Among the first films made as part of this collaboration was The Lone Ranger (2013), in which Depp played Tonto. As a result of Depp’s casting as a Native American, the film was criticized and was not well received by audiences or critics, resulting in Disney taking a loss of US$190 million.
- Depp made a brief appearance in Lucky Them (2013) before starring in Transcendence (2014), another commercial failure and mostly negative review.
- He also played a minor supporting role in Into the Woods’ musical adaptation as The Wolf, as well as a more substantial role in Kevin Smith’s horror-comedy Tusk as the eccentric French-Canadian ex-detective Guy LaPointe, the character’s name.
- Depp starred in two Infinitum Nihil films in 2015. In Mortdecai, he starred opposite Gwyneth Paltrow in a comedy-thriller. Both stars received Golden Raspberry nominations for the film, which was a critical and commercial failure.
- A better reception was given to his second film, Black Mass (2015), in which he played Boston crime boss Whitey Bulger. As a result of this role, Depp was nominated for his third SAG award for Best Actor. The film, however, failed to recoup its production costs.
- As part of the litigation, Depp made a cameo appearance in the critically panned 2015 film London Fields, which starred his then-wife Amber Heard. Besides his work in films, Depp was inducted into the Disney Legends Hall of Fame and signed on as the face of Dior’s men’s fragrance, Sauvage.
2016-2018: Johnny Depp From “Alice Through the Looking Glass” To “City of Lies”
- As his first 2016 release, Depp starred with his daughter, Lily-Rose Depp, in Yoga Hosers, a sequel to Tusk (2014). During the run-up to the US presidential election, he appeared in a Funny or Die satire entitled Donald Trump’s The Art of the Deal: The Movie.
- In Tim Burton’s Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016), a sequel to Alice in Wonderland, Depp reprised the role of the Mad Hatter. Disney lost approximately US$70 million on the sequel in contrast to the success of the first film. Depp was also nominated for two Golden Raspberry awards for the film.
- In Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016), the first installment in the Fantastic Beasts franchise, Depp plays dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald in a cameo appearance. At the end of the film, his cameo was revealed, but his name was not mentioned in the promotional materials.
- The Black Ghiandola, which was made by a terminally ill teenager through the non-profit Make a Film Foundation, starred Depp alongside other actors and filmmakers in 2017.
- The fifth installment of the Pirates series, Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017), saw him reprise his role as Captain Jack Sparrow. As in previous installments, the movie did not perform well in the US, and Depp was nominated for two Golden Raspberry Awards, including worst actor and worst screen combo.
- For the animated movie Gnomeo & Juliet: Sherlock Gnomes, Depp voiced the title character Sherlock Gnomes. It was moderately successful commercially, but received two Golden Raspberry nominations, one for Depp’s acting and another for his “fast-fading film career”.
- After starring in two independent films, Depp produced them both with his company, Infinitum Nihil. In City of Lies, he played Russell Poole, an LAPD detective trying to solve the murders of Tupac Shakur and The Notorious B.I.G.
- In Depp’s second film, Richard Says Goodbye, he played a professor with terminal cancer. During the October 2018 Zurich Film Festival, it premiered.
- In 2018, Depp reprised his role as Grindelwald in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.
- In addition, Depp suffered a number of career setbacks around this time, including Disney not casting him in new Pirates installments and Universal no longer involving him in the Dark Universe.
2019-2020: From “Waiting for the Barbarians” To “Minamata”
- Among Depp’s upcoming films is Waiting for the Barbarians (2019), based on a novel by J.M. Among Depp’s upcoming films are Minamata (2020), a film in which he portrays the photographer Eugene Smith and which premiered in Berlin in 2020.
- Upon losing his UK libel case against The Sun, which had accused him of being a domestic abuser, Depp resigned from his role as Grindelwald in the Fantastic Beasts franchise in November 2020 at Warner Bros.’ request. Mads Mikkelsen replaced him.
2021-2022: Multiple European Film Awards And Upcoming Projects Of Johnny Depp
- Movies and streaming services released City of Lies in March 2021, which was originally scheduled for 2018.
- As of the end of June, an online petition to get Depp back into the Pirates franchise, begun four months earlier, had reached its goal of 500,000 signatures.
- Depp has claimed he is being boycotted by Hollywood and describes his changing reputation as an “absurdity of media mathematics” in a July 2021 interview with Andrew Levitas, the director of Minamata (2020).
- In August 2021, Minamata was released in the UK and Ireland, and in December 2021 in North America. Multiple publications praised Depp’s performance in the film as his best in years. In addition, Depp continues to be the face of Dior’s Sauvage fragrance for men.
- As a result of his achievements in public and cultural activities, especially in the fields of film art and the promotion of Serbia in the world, Depp received the Serbian Gold Medal of Merit on February 15, 2022 from President Aleksandar Vucic. Filming for Minamata and Puffins took place in the country.
- According to reports, Depp has been cast in French actor-director Mawenn’s period film Jeanne Du Barry, which is set to begin filming in the summer of 2022.
- Jeanne du Barry has been renamed La Favorite, to tell the story of Madame du Barry, an impoverished seamstress who rises to become Louis XV’s mistress after working her way up through the ranks.
- The French period drama will be co-financed and streamed by Netflix. Johnny Depp will act in French for the first time in this film.
- In August 2022, Depp will direct Modigliani, a film about Amedeo Modigliani, which he will co-produce with Al Pacino and Barry Navidi. In 2004, Jerzy and Mary Kromolowski adapted a play by Dennis McIntyre for the film of the same name based on a screenplay by Dennis McIntyre.
- Principal photography is scheduled to begin in 2023. During the 2022 MTV Video Music Awards, he made a surprise appearance.
Facts About Johnny Depp
- Is Johnny Depp a smoker? The answer is yes
- Is Johnny Depp an alcoholic? The answer is yes
- The author stated in an interview that he used to do strange things as a child, such as repeatedly turning off light switches and making strange noises.
- As a child, he and his siblings lived in more than 20 different locations.
- His mother worked as a waitress.
- His mother gave him a guitar when he was 12 years old, which he continues to play to this day.
- It was he who collaborated with a rock band named Rock City Angels and co-wrote their songs.
- As a telemarketer for pens, he did many odd jobs during his struggle days.
- His film career reached a turning point in 1990 when he starred in two classic films, “Cry Baby” and “Edward Scissorhands”, which established him as a leading actor.
- For his role in the film “Ed Wood”, he was nominated for a Golden Globe Award in 1994.
- He is best known for playing the role of Captain Jack Sparrow in the “Pirates of the Caribbean” series. His role as the first film in the series, “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl”, was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor.
- For his performance in the film “Finding Neverland” in 2004, he was once again nominated for an Academy Award.
- “Infinitum Nihil” is the name of his production company, which means “Nothing is Forever”.
- According to the Guinness Book of World Records, he was the world’s highest-paid actor in 2011 ($75 million).
- Despite being nominated several times, he has never been awarded an Academy Award.
- In 2003 and 2009, People magazine named him the “Sexist Man Alive.”
- In his real life, he has never danced because of a fear of dancing.
It has been reported by sources that actor Johnny Depp will reprise his role as Captain Jack Sparrow and that filming will begin in early February 2023 at a secret location in the United Kingdom.
Depp is of primarily English descent, with some French, German, and Irish ancestry. His surname comes from a French Huguenot immigrant, Pierre Dieppe, who settled in Virginia around 1700.
In most of his interviews, the dominant accent sounds British, but he’s been known to slip in and out of other accents like Australian and Irish. The odd mishmash of accents has left many people believing Depp to be British.
During the peak of his Hollywood career, Depp earned more than $100 million per year as one of the highest-paid actors in the industry. In 2022, Depp won a defamation case against Amber Heard, his ex-girlfriend.
An Appreciation Note For Your Consideration
Thank you for reading this engaging article about the life journey of Johnny Depp. Hopefully, Johnny Depp’s biography has made you believe patience and persistence can overcome anything.
At WoodGram, we strive for fairness and accuracy in our biographies. Feel free to contact us or leave a comment below if you found anything fishy in the article on Johnny Depp.