Octavia Spencer is an American actress, producer, and author. Grow up in Alabama, Spencer had wishes of performing, but her mother recommended her to pursue a more practical path. That managed to her working in the casting administration of films being shot narrowly. It was for 1996’s “A Time to Kill” that she ultimately performed up the nerve to ask for an audition, she wished to be an angry spectator who starts the riot, but director Joel Schumacher said she was too “sweet-looking” and had her demo for the appearance of Sandra Bullock’s nurse. Spencer settled the part. Following small works in films and TV series like City of Angels and The Chronicle, her career gained new heights in 2011 with the hit drama The Help, which received her an Academy Award.
Spencer later earned Golden Globe and Oscar nominations for her representation of NASA mathematician Dorothy Vaughan in the 2016 biopic Hidden Figures and for her supporting character in the 2017 sci-fi drama The Shape of Water. She is the beneficiary of several distinctions, including an Academy Award, a Golden Globe Award, and three Screen Actors Guild Awards. She is one of two women of color to have earned three Oscar nominations and the first black actress to earn two consecutive nominations.
Octavia Spencer Wiki/Bio
|Birth Name||Octavia Lenora Spencer|
|Nick Name||Octavia L. Spencer|
|Age||(as in 2023) 53 Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Gemini|
|Birth Place||Montgomery, Alabama, United States|
|Date of Birth||25 May 1970|
|Home Town||Not Available|
|Mother’s Name||Dellsena Spencer (Maid)|
|Father’s Name||Not Available|
|Sister||Rosa Spencer |
Marital Status, Husband and Children
|School||Jefferson Davis High School, Montgomery, Alabama|
|College/University||Auburn University, Montgomery|
|Educational Qualification||Liberal Arts bachelor’s degree|
|Brands Endorsed||Sensa Products Inc.|
|Career Manager||William Morris Endeavor Entertainment|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 157 cm|
in meters- 1.57 m
in feet inches- 5’2”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 66 kg|
in pounds- 145 lbs
|Breast Size||39 Inches|
|Hips Size||40 Inches|
|Waist Size||30 Inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Black|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Dress Size||14 (US) or 44 (EU)|
|Shoe Size||8 (US) or 38 (EU)|
|Favorite Actress||Oprah Winfrey|
|Favorite Actor||Denzel Washington|
|Favorite Director||Steven Spielberg|
|Favorite Food||Collard greens or butter beans, black-eyed peas, cornbread|
|Favorite TV Shows||Scandal, Modern Family, American Horror Story|
Spencer is a primitive of Montgomery, Alabama, which she requests is the proverbial buckle of the Bible belt. She’s the sixth of seven siblings and holds a BS in Liberal Arts from Auburn University. An “avid” lover of acting, this factual Alabamian knew that she’d someday work in the film industry, but never thought it would be in front of the camera.
Joel Schumacher reformed all that by giving her small appearances opposite Sandra Bullock in the hit movie A Time to Kill, and Spencer was on her path. In 1996, she showed up with Bullock again in Bullock’s directing debut of Making Sandwiches, a tiny film that premiered at the 1997 Sundance Film Festival.
Spencer shows her stage introduction in Los Angeles and originated the character of “LaSonia” (pronounced lasagna) in popular writer/director Del Shore’s, The Trials and Tribulations of a Trailer Trash Housewife, acting with veteran actors Dale Dickey, Beth Grant and David Steen (2003).
Sissy Spacek Bio, Age, Children, Net Worth, Movies & Wiki
The play flourished Spencer and her fellow castmate’s critical applause and a bevy of awards. Since then, Spencer has continued to see prosperity as an actor in both film and television, working alongside Hollywood’s elite.
In February 2009, she was eulogized by Los Angeles Times publication: The Envelope, for her pithy but memorable performance in the Will Smith drama Seven Pounds.
Octavia Spencer Net Worth
Octavia Spencer has a net worth of $14 million.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||$14 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$12 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||Under Review|
|Annual Salary||Under Review|
| Salary Per Episode||$75 Thousand Per Episode|
|Income Source||Actress, Author|
Octavia Spencer Movies And TV Shows
- In 1995, Spencer settled her first on-screen appearance in A Time to Kill, a film adaptation of the famous John Grisham novel. She had confirmed on to help with casting the movie, but the director Joel Schumacher urged her to audition.
- Delivered the following year, A Time to Kill acted Sandra Bullock, Matthew McConaughey, and Samuel L. Jackson. Spencer made fairly an impression on Bullock, who later hired Spencer to perform in her 1998 short film, Making Sandwiches.
- While making A Time to Kill, Spencer also finds Tate Taylor, who performed on the film’s crew. The two became friends. Around this time, Spencer decided to shift to Los Angeles to seek an acting career.
- She picked up a part in the 1997 comedy The Sixth Man but was disappointed when much of her work ended up on the cutting room floor. Undeterred, Spencer took acting classes to upgrade herself. Her hard work paid off with small film characters and television guest spots on such shows as ER and The X-Files.
- In 2000, Spencer emerged in her first television series, City of Angels, with Blair Underwood, Vivica A. Fox, and Viola Davis. The medical drama only lasted for a season. Spencer next attempted science fiction with another short-lived series, The Chronicle.
- In 2003, Spencer emerged in Taylor’s well-received short comedic film Chicken Party with Allison Janney and Melissa McCarthy. She also got raves for her stage introduction in the Los Angeles production of Del Shore’s The Trials and Tribulations of a Trailer Trash Housewife that year.
- More tiny screen appearances followed, including her memorable turn in Bad Santa with Billy Bob Thornton. Spencer gave another scene-stealing work in the comedy series Ugly Betty, playing an INS agent.
- Spencer became known as a strong supporting actress, adept at both drama and comedy. Entertainment Weekly named her one of its 25 funniest actresses in Hollywood in 2009, calling her “sassy, smart and wise beyond her years.” But it took a personal connection to take her career to the next level.
- After her Oscar win, Spencer enjoyed a prominent role in 2013’s Fruitvale Station with Michael B. Jordan. The following year, she appeared in getting on Up, the James Brown biopic, and co-starred with Kevin Costner in Black or White.
- Spencer then joined Shailene Woodley in The Divergent Series, playing the character of Johanna Reyes in Insurgent (2015) and Allegiant (2016).
- The year 2016 brought more success for Spencer, who delivered her first voice role as Mrs. Otterton in the Disney animated hit Zootopia.
- She also earned Golden Globe and Oscar nominations for her character in the biopic Hidden Figures, in which she performs Dorothy Vaughan, an African-American mathematician who, along with other African-American women functioning at NASA, bolstered launch American astronauts into space. Her co-stars included Taraji P. Henson as Katherine Johnson and Janelle Monáe as Mary Jackson.
- Spencer solidified her standing as one of Hollywood’s premier talents with her performance in the 2017 fantasy drama The Shape of Water, again earning Golden Globe and Oscar nominations for Best Supporting Actress.
- She followed in 2018 with characters in A Kid Like Jake and Instant Family, and also executive produced the Oscar-winning film Green Book.
- In January 2018, it was announced Spencer would headline an adaptation of Are You Sleeping for the upcoming Apple TV+streaming service, which introduced as Truth Be Told in December 2019.
- Early the following year, she was noticed as the titular hair care millionaire of the Netflix miniseries Self Made: Inspired by the Life of Madam C.J. Walker and heard with her voice characters in Dolittle and Onward.
|1996||A Time to Kill|
|1997||The 6th Man|
|1999||Never Been Kissed|
Being John Malkovich
|2000||The Sky Is Falling|
Everything Put Together
What Planet Are You From?
Big Momma’s House
Four Dogs Playing Poker
|2003||Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde|
|2004||Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!|
Breakin’ All the Rules
Marilyn Hotchkiss’ Ballroom Dancing and Charm School
Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous
|2008||Next of Kin|
Pretty Ugly People
|2009||The First Time (Love At First Hiccup)|
Drag Me to Hell
Jesus People: The Movie
Small Town Saturday Night
|2010||Dinner for Schmucks|
|2012 ||Blues for Willadean|
Lost on Purpose
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters
|2014||Get On Up|
|2015||The Great Gilly Hopkins|
Black or White
The Divergent Series: Insurgent
Fathers and Daughters
The Divergent Series: Allegiant
The Free World
Bad Santa 2
Small Town Crime
The Shape of Water
|2018||A Kid Like Jake|
|Yet To Be Released||Thunder Force|
TV Shows & Serials List
|1997 ||413 Hope St.|
To Have & to Hold
Just Shoot Me!
Malcolm in the Middle
City of Angels
|2001||Grounded for Life|
Follow the Stars Home
Dharma & Greg
|2006–2007||The Minor Accomplishments of Jackie Woodman|
|2008||Wizards of Waverly Place|
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
The Big Bang Theory
Raising the Bar
Call Me Crazy: A Five Film
|2014–2015 ||Red Band Society|
|2015 ||Drunk History|
|2017||Saturday Night Live|
|2019–present||Truth Be Told|
Octavia Spencer Oscar Win for ‘The Help’
Through her friend Tate Taylor, Spencer contacted author, Kathryn Stockett. Stockett and Taylor had been friends since childhood, and he acquired the film rights to her novel The Help before the book was even published. The Help unearths the lives of two very desperate sets of women in a Southern town in the 1960s, white housewives and their African-American maids.
Stockett had made inspiration from Spencer for one of the maids, Minny, and Spencer even followed Stockett on a book tour. A white writer, Stockett felt distressing reading the black maids’ dialogue and brought Spencer along to read those parts.
When it came time to cast the film, however, Spencer had to audition for the portion. The novel had become a best-seller and there was some tension to cast a famous actress as Minny. But Spencer soon earns over any doubters that she was the one for the part.
In the film, Emma Stone initiates a young white woman who writes a controversial book based on interviews with “the help.” Spencer performs Minny, who works for the town’s social pariah (Jessica Chastain) after being ignited by her previous employer.
Released in summer 2011, The Help proved to be a commercial and critical hit. Spencer herself received largely warm reviews and netted several accolades, including a Golden Globe Award in 2012. In her acceptance speech, Spencer quoted the late Martin Luther King Jr.: “All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance.”
She also won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress that February for her performance on The Help. Nearly overcome by emotion, Spencer praised “my family in Alabama, the state of Alabama. My L.A. family. My Help family,” in her acknowledgment speech.
She later revealed that she “can be some sort of beacon of hope, particularly because I’m not the typical Hollywood beauty.”
Spencer wished that her newfound prosperity would lead to higher opportunities in front and behind the camera. “I want to do more ensemble movies like I’m doing now, I want to work with the best of the best,” Spencer told Backstage. “I’m trying to write now and get things I want to produce now that I’m meeting all of these great producers and people with deep pockets.”
Kate Winslet Bio, Age, Spouse, Children, Titanic, Net Worth, Movies & Wiki
- Her middle name is Lenora.
- She made her film debut in A Time to Kill.
- She was born in Montgomery, Alabama, and has six siblings, including sisters Rosa and Areka.
- Her mother, Dellsena Spencer (1945-1988), worked as a maid.
- Octavia Spencer made her film debut as a nurse in Joel Schumacher’s A Time to Kill, based on the book by John Grisham.
- She is best known for her starring roles as Serenity Johnson on Comedy Central’s Halfway Home, and Constance Grady, the amorous INS caseworker on Ugly Betty.
- In April 2009, Entertainment Weekly listed Spencer as among its “25 Funniest Actresses in Hollywood.”
- In June 2012, Spencer was invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
- She co-authored children’s mystery book The Rock Holler Gang: Jr. Detectives in 2002.
- In 2003, made stage debut in the Los Angeles production of The Trials and Tribulations of a Trailer Trash Housewife.
- She included on Entertainment Weekly’s 2009 list of 25 Funniest Actresses in Hollywood.
- She went on a 2009 book tour with the author of The Help and gave voice to the black characters in the tome. A few months later, she was cast as Minny Jackson in the film adaptation of the novel.
Ma Was Released In The United States On May 31, 2019, By Universal Pictures. It Has Grossed $61.6 Million Worldwide And Received Mixed Reviews From Critics, Who Praised Spencer’s Performance But Criticized The Teenage Characters And Said The Film Did Not Take Full Advantage Of Its Premise.
Christian Bale Presents Octavia Spencer With The Oscar For Supporting Actress For The Help At The 84Th Academy Awards.
Everyone Knows The One Black Character In A Horror Movie Is The First One To Die, Which Is Why Spencer Naturally Figured That Was The Character That Would Be Pitched To Her When Director Tate Taylor First-Called Her To Gauge Her Interest In Starring In A Genre Movie Like “Ma.”
Born And Raised In Alabama, Octavia Spencer Landed Her First Acting Gig While Working Behind The Scenes Of 1996’s A Time To Kill. Following Small Parts In Films And Tv Series Like City Of Angels And The Chronicle, Her Career Reached New Heights In 2011 With The Hit Drama The Help, Which Earned Her An Academy Award.