Memphis Depay is a Dutch professional footballer who plays for the Dutch national team and Barcelona in La Liga. He was abandoned by his Ghanaian father at the age of four and was mostly raised by his Dutch mother and her parents. By the age of five, he was playing football on the street and dreamed of becoming a great footballer. He joined his first club at the age of seven. The road he traveled was anything but smooth, and his deep wound inside caused him to misbehave with teachers, coaches, and friends for a time.
PSV Eindhoven drafted him at the age of twelve and he left school at fifteen to focus on football. Later in his career, he played for Manchester United for two seasons before joining Olympique Lyonnais. He moved to Barcelona in 2021 after four seasons with Olympique Lyonnais. He is a product of the Royal Dutch Football Association institution, and he is known for his ability to cut inside and to dribble, shoot from distance, and play the ball off the ground.
Memphis Depay Bio/Wiki[table id=2736 /]
Memphis Depay was born on 13 February 1994, in Moordrecht, a small village in the Zuid-Holland region of the Netherlands. Dennis Depay, his father, is a first-generation Ghanaian migrant, while his mother Cora Schensema is Dutch. Dennis Depay is the only child of his parents. Memphis’ father abandoned the family when he was four years old, forcing Cora to move in with Kees and Jans Schensema. Memphis soon became enamored with a football under Kees’ tutelage.
He joined the local football club, vv Moordrecht, when he was seven years old. At that time, he had also begun rapping on the street; however, when his coach asked him to choose between rapping and football, he reluctantly gave up rapping. At age eight, he had improved enough to be picked up by Sparta Rotterdam.
Nine years ago, he and his mother moved in with a neighbor with whom his mother had fallen in love. Nevertheless, the man had many children, who beat him so badly that he dreaded going home from school, sitting under his desk and crying.
Memphis Depay was mentally scarred by the time he and his mother returned to his grandfather’s home. Rather than talking about his pain, he fought with teachers and coaches, trying to hurt others the way he had been hurt. He began drinking at the age of twelve.
Even with his problems, he excelled in the field, attracting the attention of renowned football clubs. He ultimately joined PSV Eindhoven in 2006 on the advice of his grandfather. It did, however, require him to leave home and live with his local host family, the Heijbloms.
Meanwhile, he continued to misbehave while still excelling on the field at PVS Eindhoven. Eventually, under the influence of his mentor Joost Lenders, manager Phillip Cocu, and his hosts, Mr. and Mrs. Heijblom, he began to change.
He was expelled from multiple schools for misbehavior and quit schooling in 2009, playing for the Netherlands U-16 national team the same year. After the death of his grandfather in 2009, his life was filled with another void. Fortunately, football supported him at the time.
Memphis has numerous tattoos, including one on his left arm that honors his grandfather, who died the day before Memphis turned 15. The moment he scored his first international goal for the Netherlands was commemorated with a tattoo of Christ the Redeemer and the date 18.06.14 on his left torso, commemorating his first international goal against Australia at the 2014 World Cup. Additionally, he has a tattoo on the inside of his lip that says succesvol (Dutch for ‘successful’) and a tattoo on his upper back that says ‘dream chaser’.
Social media announced in June 2017 that Memphis was engaged to Lori Harvey, the youngest daughter of American television personality Steve Harvey. Their relationship has since ended.
Memphis was criticized by several animal rights organizations in April 2020 after posting pictures of himself with a liger cub while on vacation in Dubai. Memphis responded by saying that “ligers are not even wild animals”.
Memphis Depay Net Worth
Меmрhіѕ Dерау, а ѕkіllful аnd tаlеntеd fооtbаllеr, hаѕ аn еѕtіmаtеd nеt wоrth оf $10 mіllіоn аѕ оf 2023.[table id=2737 /]
Не еаrnѕ а ѕаlаrу оf $4.6 mіllіоn аnnuаllу. Depay has a large collection of cars. His prized possessions include a Mercedes Maybach S650 – $350,000, a Rolls Royce Wraith – $600,000+, a Mercedes AMG G63 – $150,000, and an Audi RS6 – $100,000. The Mercedes G-Wagon he owned as of 2016 and the Ferrari he is believed to have owned are also believed to have belonged to him.
Memphis Depay was sponsored by Under Armour for a while before a rumored split in early 2021. Adidas boots are heavily worn by him and he even appears in an advertisement for them from 2014. Memphis Depay’s endorsements and sponsorships are approx $1 to $5 million.
- As of 2011, Memphis Depay plays for Jong PSV, a reserve team for PSV Eindhoven. He made his debut on 21 September in a KNVB Cup match against amateur side VVSB. He played his first Eredivisie match the following year on 26 February.
- In 2011-2012, he made a total of eight league appearances as a substitute, scoring three goals. He also made three cup appearances, scoring two more goals, bringing his total to five. Meanwhile, 18-year-old Depay signed his first professional contract with PSV on 29 June 2012.
- In 2012-2013, he played 20 times in the league and four times in cup competitions, scoring two and one goal, respectively. In the same year, he made his debut at the UEFA, making five appearances without scoring a goal.
- He scored his first goal in European football on 30 July 2013, drifting in from the left and then smashing the ball into the top corner past his opponent’s goalkeeper. The 2013-2014 season saw him make a total of 43 appearances, scoring 12 goals in the league and two in European competition.
- It was his 22 goals in 30 games that made him the Eredivisie’s top scorer in 2014-15. He also played at the 2014 FIFA World Cup, where he scored two goals in five appearances. The Netherlands came third, and his breakthrough performance caught the attention of many big clubs, including Manchester United.
- Memphis Depay joined Manchester United for a reported fee of £25 million in May 2015. He made his Manchester United debut in a friendly match against Club América in Seattle, USA, on 17 July. Four days later, he scored his first goal for the club against the San Jose Earthquakes.
- His Premier League debut came against Tottenham Hotspur on 8 August 2015. In 2015-2016, he played 29 matches for the League, scoring his first goal on 26 September. His season was not very successful, though.
- After four consecutive non-performance in October 2015, he was dropped from the team. He was also removed from the FIFA Ballon d’Or list. He returned to the Premier League in November, scoring his second goal against Watford.
- In 2015-2016, he played in 11 UEFA Europa League matches, scoring five goals and receiving praise from club management. Additionally, he made six appearances for his national team in 2016, scoring two goals for Netherland.
- Memphis Depay had an indifferent 2016-2017 campaign, appearing in four league matches as a substitute. He signed his four-and-a-half-year contract with Olympique Lyonnais on 20 January 2017 and made his competitive debut for the club on 22 January. In 2016-2017, he played 17 Ligue 1 matches and scored five goals.
- In 2017-2018, he scored 19 goals in 36 Ligue 1 matches and three goals in 10 Europa League matches. In June 2017, he began pursuing a hip-hop career and released a Los Angeles-inspired freestyle, LA Vibes.
- He scored 12 goals in 47 appearances in 2018-2019, 15 goals in 22 appearances in 2019-2020, and 22 goals in 40 appearances in 2020-2021. He also continued to pursue his musical career, releasing his debut album, Heavy Stepper, on 27 November 2020.
- Along with his club appearances, he also played for his national team, scoring five goals in 2018, six in 2019, and two in 2020. On 30 March 2021, during a match against Gibraltar in the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualification round, he scored his last two international goals.
- Memphis Depay joined La Liga club Barcelona on a free transfer on 19 June 2021. On 15 August 2021, he made his Barcelona debut against Real Sociedad, which Barcelona won by a score of 4–2.
- In a 1–1 draw against Athletic Bilbao on 21 August 2021, he scored his first goal for Barcelona.
Facts About Memphis Depay
- He began his soccer career at his hometown club, vv Moordrecht. As a player for the club, he attracted the attention of the scouts of Sparta Rotterdam of the Netherlands. The club was seriously considering signing him when he was 8 years old.
- In 2003, he moved to the Sparta Rotterdam youth setup. Scouts from leading Dutch clubs such as Ajax, Feyenoord, and PSV Eindhoven noticed his strong performances at Rotterdam.
- In 2006, he signed a contract with PSV Eindhoven. His grandfather’s advice convinced him to stay away from Ajax. It’s interesting to note that Depay’s grandfather had grown up an Ajax fan, but felt PSV was a better option for his development.
- He scored his first professional league goal against Heerenveen in March 2012. The match ended in a 5-1 victory for Eindhoven.
- In the 2014-15 season, he scored 22 goals in 30 league matches, making him one of the best young attacking players in the league. In addition to winning the Eredivisie title, he also played a key role in his team’s success.
- He was named Best Young Player by France Football magazine in 2015. Johan Cruyff Trophy, which is given to Dutch Footballer of the Year, was awarded to him.
- He was courted by leading English clubs such as Arsenal, Manchester United, and Liverpool in the summer of 2015. PSV director Marcel Brands revealed that Liverpool asked about Depay’s availability but Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers insisted he had not even seen the player.
- Earlier this year, Manchester United announced that they had signed Depay from PSV. Earlier this year, it was revealed that United had paid a reported fee of £25 million.
- When he transferred to Manchester United, Depay himself requested the number 7 jersey, which was previously worn by United legends such as David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo, Eric Cantona, and George Best.
- He scored his first professional goal for Manchester United in the Champions League play-off’s first leg against Club Brugge in August 2015. During the match, he scored two goals and assisted Marouane Fellaini’s goal in a 3-1 victory.
- During his time at Manchester United, he failed to establish himself. His flashy lifestyle has been attributed to some of his struggles by key United figures such as Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney. He was too preoccupied with his designer clothes and expensive cars to concentrate on his game.
- Jose Mourinho allowed Depay to leave the club in winter 2017, as he secured a transfer to Olympique Lyonnais. Olympique Lyonnais paid an estimated transfer fee of £16 million.
- Having inserted buy-back and sell-on clauses in his contract, the United management and executives believed that he might still be able to recover his lost touch at Lyon and become a truly great player.
- Against Toulouse FC in March 2017, he scored a sensational goal from the halfway line in his side’s 4-0 victory. He calls it his best goal.
- He scored his first goal for the Dutch national team in June 2014, in a World Cup group stage match against Australia. In addition, he became the youngest Dutch player to score a goal at a World Cup match.
- Along with Raphael Varane and Paul Pogba, he was nominated for the Best Young Player award for the 2014 World Cup. The award was eventually won by Pogba.
- He enjoys ink art and has a number of tattoos including ‘dream chaser’ on his upper torso. He has got ‘succesvol’ too which translates to successful, inked on the inside of his lip.
- Against Nice, he scored a hattrick in the final league match of the 2017-18 season. He helped his team qualify for the Champions League next season with the win.
There is no information on the 27-year-old’s current relationship status. Lori Harvey and he announced their engagement in 2017 but have since split up. Paye has no children.
The reason for this is that the player’s Ghanaian father Dennis abandoned Memphis when he was just four years old, so he doesn’t want to keep in touch with him. “I will never forgive him. Do not call me Depay, call me Memphis,” the new Barcelona signing once said to sources.
Depay was signed by Barcelona last week on a free transfer from Olympique Lyon. United had the option to buy back Depay as part of the £15million deal that saw him move to Ligue 1, but chose not to do so and Barca stepped in to complete the deal for nothing.
Memphis Depay’s style off the field is comparable to his style on the pitch because of his fantastic skill set, such as his ability to glide through players in tight spaces with such a low center of gravity and his footballing mind to make things out of absolutely nothing.