Meg Ryan is a producer and actress from the United States. She is popularly recognized for portraying romantic and jolly characters. Ryan began her acting career in brief roles in 1981 before appearing on the show As the World Turns on CBS in 1982. Following that, she began appearing in supporting roles in movies like the blockbuster hit Top Gun in the early 1980s, receiving attention in independent movies like Promised Land in 1987.
Meghan eventually gained popularity in the 1990s with her roles in the hit romantic comedies such as Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, You’ve Got Mail and, French Kiss. She was commonly called America’s Sweetheart because of her sparkling appearance and cheerful nature. She’s tried her hand at directing as well as acting. Her first directorial movie, Ithaca, was released in 2015 and was based on the 1943 novel The Human Comedy. Her son, Jack Quaid, was one of the stars of the picture. Meg Ryan has been nominated for a number of accolades and awards including the Golden Globe Awards and People’s Choice Awards.
Meg Ryan Bio/Wiki
|Margaret Mary Emily Anne Hyra
|62 years (as in 2023)
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign
|Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
|Date of Birth
|19 November 1961
|Susan Jordan Duggan
Marital Status, Husband and Children
|Dennis Quaid (1919-2001)
|14 February 1991
Daisy True Ryan
|St. Pius X Elementary School
Bethel High School
|University of Connecticut
New York University
|Bachelor in Journalism (dropped out in last semester)
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in Feet Inches- 5’7”
|in Kilograms- 57 kg
in Pounds- 126 lbs
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity
|Favourite Music Band
|All Time Low
|Meg’s love life diverted focus from her work.
Meg had an affair with Russel Crowe while being married to Dennis Quaid.
Margaret Mary Emily Hyra was born in Fairfield, Connecticut, on November 19, 1961, to Harry Hyra, a maths teacher, and Susan Jordan, a retired actress.
Meg was baptized and raised as Catholic and she studied at Fairfield’s St. Pius X Elementary School. She has a brother, Andrew Hyra, and two sisters, Annie and Dana. When she was 15, her parents got divorced.
In 1979, Ryan finished her schooling at Bethel High School. Ryan majored in journalism at the University of Connecticut and later at New York University. To supplement her income throughout college, she appeared in advertisements and the tv drama As the World Turns.
She dropped out of college a semester early because of her popularity as an actress. She went by the surname “Ryan” which was her granny’s maiden name when she entered the Screen Actors Guild.
She had a lot of appearances in rom-com films after her debut in Rich and Famous. Her career thereafter progressed to include various television and commercial appearances.
With the film, she made her first commercial break. Ryan received her first Golden Globe nominations when Harry met Salley. Her career progressed quickly, and she began to appear in a number of popular romantic comedies.
On February 14, 1991, Ryan married actor Dennis Quaid. Jack Quaid, their only child, was born on April 24, 1992. In June 2000, she and Quaid parted ways, and their divorce was finalized on July 16, 2001.
She tried to branch out from her typical rom-com roles in the 2000s, starring in films such as Proof of Life, Kate & Leopold, and In the Cut.
Between 2007 and 2009, Ryan worked on independent films such as The Deal, a satirical comedy, and The Women, a comedy-drama.
In the early 2010s, Ryan was tried a number of projects but all of them failed. Ryan’s directorial debut was Ithaca, a drama based on the novel The Human Comedy. The film what shot in Petersburg, Virginia, and was premiered globally in October 2015 at the Middleburg Film Festival.
Ryan was awarded the Leopard Club Award as a pioneer of romantic comedy at the 71st Locarno Festival in August 2018, with the statement that nobody could convey irony, kindness, humor, and fragility as Meg Ryan could.
Meg Ryan Net Worth
The American Sweetheart, Meg Ryan is currently worth $90 million.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)
|$15-30 million per film
Meg Ryan has established herself as one of America’s favorite film actresses over the course of her 40-year career. She was most known for her work in romantic comedies, which paid her $10-15 million per film, making her one of the highest-paid actresses worldwide at times.
Meg received $5 million in 1994 for her role in the historical drama I.Q. She was paid $8.5 million for her role in City of Angels in 1998. She was paid $10.5 million to act in You’ve Got Mail alongside Tom Hanks that year. Her collective earnings of $19 million in 1998 made Ryan one of Hollywood’s highest-paid actors. After adjusting for inflation, that’s the equivalent of earning $30 million in a year now.
Meg made more than $60 million in cinema salaries without adjusting inflation between 1994 and 2002, when she was at the height of her career.
- Meg Ryan made her film debut in George Cukor’s “Rich and Famous” (1981). Following that, from 1982 to 1984, she portrayed ‘Betsy Stewart’ in the daily drama ‘As the World Turns.’
- She made an appearance in a Burger King commercial around this period. As a result, she obtained minor roles in films and television shows such as Charles in Charge, and Armed and Dangerous, among others.
- In 1986, she portrayed ‘Carole Bradshaw,’ the wife of a navy flight officer, in the film ‘Top Gun.’ She appeared in the science-fiction comedy film “Innerspace” the following year.
- She later landed a role in the romantic drama “Promised Land,” for which she was nominated for her first “Independent Spirit Award.”
- She made her cinematic debut in 1988 in a replica of the classic noir film D.O.A., which was released in 1949. The following year, she starred in her first major picture, When Harry Met Sally, a romantic comedy. For her role as Sally Albright in the film, she was nominated for a Golden Globe Award.
- She went on to star in films such as The Doors in 1991 and Prelude to a Kiss in 1992. She shared the screen with Tom Hanks in the hugely acclaimed romantic dramaSleepless in Seattle for the second time in 1993.
- To eliminate becoming a stereotype for rom-com films, she then embarked on a variety of roles. She earned her first nomination for the Screen Actors Guild Awards for her role as an intoxicated high-school guidance counselor in the social drama When a Man Loves a Woman in 1994. She also starred in the romantic comedy I.Q. directed by Fred Schepisi in that same year.
- She acted in Lawrence Kasdan’s romantic comedy-drama French Kiss in 1995. She voiced the lead part in the successful animated picture “Anastasia” shortly afterward.
- He starred in the box office hit You’ve Got Mail in 1998 in which she was teamed with Tom Hanks for the third time. Ryan received her third ‘Golden Globe’ nomination for her performance n the film
- She appeared in Diane Keaton’s family comedy movie Hanging Up in 2000. In the same year, she co-starred with Russell Crowe in the adventure thriller film Proof of Life
- In 2001 she was cast in the film Kate & Leopold, a romantic comedy film directed by James Mangold, opposite Hugh Jackman. Thi film was her highest-grossing picture.
- She starred alongside Mark Ruffalo and Jennifer Jason Leigh in Jane Campion’s sensual thriller film In the Cut in 2003. Critics gave the picture a mixed response. In 2004, she also starred in the sports movie Against the Ropes.
- In 2007, Ryan was praised for her portrayal in Jon Kasdan’s independent movie “In the Land of Women as Sarah Hardwicke, a mother and wife suffering breast cancer.
- She appeared in Steven Schachter’s satire comedy film The Deal in 2008. The film received mixed reviews when it aired at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival.
- She also starred in the commercially successful picture The Women in 2008, which was a remake of the 1939 film of the same name. In the film, she played a rich woman whose husband cheated on her with a store girl.
- In 2012, she finally showed up in the PBS documentary Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide after being a part of a couple of documentaries that never came to fruition. Her audio version of William Saroyan’s The Human Comedy was also launched the same year.
- She shot five episodes of her improv comedy series “Web Therapy” in 2013. Following that, she starred in the ABC family movie Fan Girl, which screened at the 2015 Los Angeles Film Festival.
- She debuted as a director in 2015 with the movie Ithaca, based on William Saroyan’s book The Human Comedy. Ryan was joined by Sam Shepard, Hamish Linklater, Tom Hanks, Christine Nelson, as well as Ryan’s son Jack Quaid in the film.
- Meg Ryan is a stage name used by actresses.
- Meg’s first film role was in the horror-thriller film Amityville 3-D, despite her reputation for love comedies.
- Meg has been nominated for three Golden Globes!
- Her first acting role was in a Burger King ad!
- Dennis Quaid was Meg’s first husband.
- Meg’s older brother was a well-known musician!
Meg Ryan has two children, daughter – Daisy True Ryan and son – Jack Quaid.
Meg Ryan was a leading actress in her time, right now she works more behind the camera on various projects.
Meg Ryan was married to Dennis Quaid between 1991 to 2001.