Lupita Nyong’o is a Mexican-Kenyan actress who was born in Mexico. Lupita was born in the Mexico City, while her dad was a teacher there. Later she moved to Kenya when she was one and raised there. She is the child of a Kenyan lawmaker Peter Nyong’o. She has won several awards such as an Academy Award, NAACP Image Awards, a Daytime Emmy Award, and Screen Actors Guild Awards. She’s also been nominated for Tony Award and Primetime Emmy Award.
Lupita Nyong’o Bio/Wiki[table id=2949 /]
Lupita Nyong’o was born in the Mexico City on 1 March 1983, to Kenyan mom and dad Dorothy Ogada Buyu & college lecturer Peter Anyang’ Nyong’o. Due to various political persecution and upheaval, the family fled Kenya for a while in 1980.
Nyong’o considers as Kenyan-Mexican and possesses both Kenyan & Mexican nationality. She is the second child out of six children. She is from Luo origin on the both branches of her families. She was born and raised in Nairobi, Kenya, in an artist family, and defines her background as middle-class and suburban.
She was a student at the Rusinga International School in Kenya, where she performed in school plays. Lupita started her professional career acting debut as Juliet for Romeo and Juliet when she was 14 years old. Nyong’o attributes her interest to continue a professional career as an actor to Whoopi Goldberg & Oprah Winfrey’s appearances in The Color Purple.
Lupita Nyong’o family let her go to Mexico to study Spanish while she was 16 years old. Nyong’o stayed in Taxco, Guerrero, for over seven months and attended studies at the Learning Centre for Foreigners at the National Autonomous University of Mexico’s. Nyong’o went on to St. Mary’s School in the capital city of Nairobi, whereupon she graduated with an IB Diploma around 2001.
She proceeded to college in the United States and earned a degree in cinema and theatrical studies at Hampshire College. Lupita took up various productions and filmmaking projects from 2005-2009, before attending the Yale School of Drama. After graduating from Yale, she got a breakthrough that earned her an Oscar.
Lupita Nyong’o Net Worth
Lupita Nyong’o has an estimated net worth of around $12 million dollars.[table id=2955 /]
Lupita Nyong’o Awards List[table id=2957 /]
- Lupita Nyong’o began her professional career in the film and entertainment industries as a part of the production team for films such as The Constant Gardener, The Namesake, and Where God Left His Shoes, between 2005-2007. Participating on these movies encouraged Nyong’o to move ahead on her own ventures.
- She featured in the short film East River in 2008. She relocated to Kenya the next year, when she starred in the tv show Shuga. Subsequently, in 2009, Lupita wrote, directed, as well as produced In My Genes, a documentary film about Kenya’s albino inhabitants. The Five Colleges Film Festival awarded it with a first prize.
- She also filmed the video clip for Wahu’s single The Little Things You Do in 2009, which was shortlisted for Best Video Award at the MTV 2009 Africa Music Awards. Nyong’o eventually decided to take a master’s in acting at Yale School of Drama.
- Lupita Nyong’o got chosen as Patsey in the movie 12 Years a Slave in 2013 just after finishing at Yale, and she almost instantly got the breakthrough role that catapulted her into Hollywood stardom.
- She was nominated for Screen Actors Guild Awards and Golden Globe Award. And eventually won the Best Supporting Actress at the Academy Award, becoming her just the sixth black female actor to accomplish it in history. Also, she is the first Kenyan female actor to receive an Academy Award.
- Nyong’o next roles were as a supporting part in the 2014 film Non-Stop, followed by a co-starring character as space pirate named Maz Kanata in 2015 Star Wars The Force Awakens.
- Nyong’o made a comeback to theatre on the stage in 2015, when she performed in Danai Gurira’s drama Eclipsed.
- Nyong’o made her movie comeback in 2016 with the live-action & CGI feature The Jungle Book, in which she voiced Raksha wolf. Afterwards, in 2016, she acted in the Mira Nair flim Queen of Katwe. I n 2016, she acted in another Mira Nair movie Queen of Katwe.
- Lupita Nyong’o got selected as Nakia in the Marvel superhero picture Black Panther in 2018, joining a long line of A-level actors who have played roles in Marvel Cinematic Universe. She not only learned Xhosa to prep for the part, but she also attended judo, silat, jujitsu, and Filipino martial arts training. Nyong’o received the nomination for Best Actress at Saturn Award for her portrayal in the movie, which was a major hit.
- She then starred in Little Monsters, Us, and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker in 2019. In addition, she narrated the special Discovery Channel documentary Serengeti in 2019.
- Lupita was featured in Beyoncé’s musical movie Black Is King, that originally aired on Disney+ in 2020. In 2021, Nyong’o teamed with Kukua, a Kenya-based media & tech business, to assist YouTube Originals STEM-themed Super Sema.
- Nyong’o featured opposite Jessica Chastain, Fan Bingbing, Diane Kruger, and Penélope Cruz, in Simon Kinberg spy thriller The 355 in 2022.
Lupita Nyong’o Movies List[table id=2958 /]
- Peter Anyang’ Nyong’o, her father, is a high-ranking Kenyan politician.
- Nyong’o’s mom is the managing director of Africa Cancer Foundation, as well as the owner of her communications firm.
- Lupita Nyong’o mother is from Mexico, but she raised in Kenya.
- Lupita debut big-screen role earned her an Academy Award nomination.
- She can communicate in a variety of languages.
- While pursuing her master’s degree, she landed her first film part in 12 Years a Slave.
- When she was in college, she employed as a production assistant.
- Nyong’o directed her first film in 2009.
- Nyong’o has written a children’s book regarding coming to terms with her midnight skin.
Yes, Lupita is Mexican-Kenyan.
Kenyan actress Lupita can speak English, Spanish, Swahili and Duoluo.
Lupita was born in Mexico while her father was a teacher there as a professor. She later moved to Mexico for some months to learn Spanish.
Lupita was tested Covid positive, so she couldn’t attend The 355 promotions.
40 years old.
Lupita won Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in 12 Years a Slave.
Yes, Lupita has three sisters and a brother.
Lupita means From The River Of The Wolf in Spanish.
Lupita is 1.65 m or 5 feet 5 inches tall.