Kiefer Sutherland is a talented actor with a wide variety of roles in his collection. Born to acting parents, Shirley Douglas and the legendary Donald Sutherland, he too decided to be an actor. He started playing minor roles in coming of age movies such as ‘Max Dugan Returns’, ‘The Bad Boy’, ‘Stand by Me’ and ‘The Lost Boys’. With supporting roles in ‘Young Guns’ and ‘Flatliners’, he began getting noticed. Movies such as ‘Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me’, ‘A Few Good Men’, ‘The Three Musketeers’, ‘Eye for an Eye’, ‘ A Time to Kill’ ‘Dark City’, and ‘Phone Booth’ saw him perform supporting or minor characters, with differing success.
Switching to working in television, he grew agent Jack Bauer in the series ‘24’. He received many accolades for this role over 8 seasons and was repeatedly nominated for the Golden Globes and Emmys, year after year. He also became one of the administrative producers of the serial. He has got a Golden Globe and a couple of Emmys for the series. He has been given a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame too.
Kiefer Sutherland Wiki/Bio
|Birth Name||Kiefer William Frederick Dempsey George Rufus Sutherland|
|Nick Name||Kiefer Sutherland|
|Age||(as in 2020) 54 Years|
|Religion||He was probably raised Catholic (as he went to Catholic schools and has a tattoo of Virgin Mary on his arm).|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Sagittarius|
|Birth Place||Paddington, London, England, UK|
|Date of Birth||21 December 1966|
|Residence||Silver Lake district of Los Angeles|
|Home Town||Paddington, London, England, UK|
|Mother's Name||Shirley Douglas (Actress)|
|Father's Name||Donald Sutherland (Actor)|
|Brother||• Rossif Sutherland (Paternal Younger Half-Brother) (Actor)|
• Angus Sutherland (Paternal Younger Half-Brother) (Film and TV Producer, Actor)
• Roeg Sutherland (Paternal Younger Half-Brother)
• Thomas Emil Sicks (Maternal Half-Brother)
|Sister||Rachel Sutherland (Twin Sister) (TV Producer)|
|Others||Tommy Douglas (Maternal Grandfather) (Politician)|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Jaid Barrymore |
• Sherilyn Fenn
• Camelia Kath (1986-1990)
• Julia Roberts (1989-1991)
• Amanda Rice (1991)
• Lisa Stothard (1992)
• Kelly Winn (1995-2008)
• Bo Derek (2000)
• Catherine Bisson (2001-2005)
• Reiko Aylesworth (2003-2005)
• Tricia Cardozo (2005-2006)
• Ashley Scott (2008)
• Siobhan Bonnouvrier (2009-2011)
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Wife/Spouse||• Kelly Winn|
• Camelia Kath
|Marriage Date||• Married on 29 June 1996 and divorced on 19 May 2004 (Kelly Winn) |
• Married on 12 September 1987 and divorced on 1 February 1990 (Camelia Kath)
Daughter- Sarah Sutherland
|School||• Crescent Town Elementary School|
• St. Clair Junior High East York
• John G. Althouse Middle School, Toronto, Canada
|College/University||• St. Andrew’s College|
• Martingrove Collegiate Institute
• Harbord Collegiate Institute
• Silverthorn Collegiate Institute
• Malvern Collegiate Institute
• Annex Village Campus
• For a semester, he was also present at Regina Mundi Catholic College in London, Ontario.
• For learning acting, he enrolled himself at Sir Frederick Banting Secondary School and went there during the weekends.
|Profession||Actor, film director, film producer, singer|
|Brands Endorsed||print ads for |
• The GAP (2002)
• Baume & Mercier watches (2006)
TV commercials for
• MGD (voiceover) (2003), MCI (voiceover) (2003)
• The Los Angeles Mentoring Partnership (2005)
• Peugeot – Citroen (2005)
• Apple Computers (voiceover) (2006)
• Verizon Business (voiceover) (2006)
• Ford Fusion car (voiceover) (2006)
• Ford Motors Canada (2007)
• Cuervo tequila (2014)
|Career Manager||• Management 360|
• William Morris Endeavor Entertainment
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm|
in meters- 1.75 m
in feet inches- 5’9”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 76 kg|
in pounds- 168 lbs
|Chest Size||41 Inches|
|Biceps Size||14 Inches|
|Waist Size||35 Inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||White|
|Hair Color||Light Brown|
|Dress Size||Not Available|
|Shoe Size||11 (US)|
|Favorite Food||Seafood, Chinese food, Indian food|
|Favorite Painter||Paul Gauguin|
|Favorite Guitars||Ritchie Blackmore, Jimmy Page, John Mayer|
|Favorite Actor||Donald Sutherland|
|Favorite Film of his dad Donald||Don’t Look Now (1973)|
|His Own Favorite Film||Stand By Me (1986)|
Kiefer Sutherland was born in St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington, London, to Donald Sutherland and Shirley Douglas, both prosperous Canadian actors who had been residing and serving in England for some time. He has a twin sister, Rachel, who works as a post-production film supervisor.
His maternal grandfather was Scottish-born Canadian politician and former Premier of Saskatchewan Tommy Douglas, who is generally recognized for bringing universal health care to Canada.
Sutherland is called after American-born writer and director Warren Kiefer, who directed Donald Sutherland in his first fiction movie, Castle of the Living Dead. Sutherland’s family went to Corona, California, in 1968. His parents separated in 1970.
In 1975, Sutherland relocated with his mother to Toronto, Ontario. He joined the elementary school at Crescent Town Elementary School, St. Clair Junior High (now Gordon A. Brown Middle School) East York, and John G. Althouse Middle School in Toronto.
He attended several high schools, including St. Andrew’s College, Martingrove Collegiate Institute, Harbord Collegiate Institute, Silverthorn Collegiate Institute, Malvern Collegiate Institute, and Annex Village Campus. He also gave a semester at Regina Mundi Catholic College in London, Ontario, and joined weekend acting lessons at Sir Frederick Banting Secondary School.
Sutherland told Jimmy Kimmel Live! (2009) that he and Robert Downey, Jr. were roommates for three years when he first moved to Hollywood to pursue his career in acting. He and Downey, Jr. also worked together in the film 1969.
Sutherland has one daughter (Sarah) from his first marriage to Camelia Kath, the widow of Chicago guitarist/singer Terry Kath, to whom he was wedded from 1987 to 1990. Through their marriage, he became stepfather to Camilla’s daughter, Michelle Kath, who has two sons. Sarah Sutherland is an actress and performs on the TV series Veep.
Julia Roberts joined Sutherland in 1990 when they co-starred in Flatliners. In August 1990, Roberts and Sutherland declared their engagement, with an extensive studio-planned wedding scheduled for 14 June 1991. Roberts broke the engagement three days before the wedding supposedly because Sutherland had been meeting with a go-go dancer called Amanda Rice.
Sutherland rejected having an affair with Rice and told that they only met because he wanted to play pool. On the day of what was thought to be their wedding, Roberts moved to Ireland with Sutherland’s friend Jason Patric.
In the late 1990s, Sutherland bought a 900-acre ranch in Montana and traveled on the rodeo circuit. On 29 June 1996, Sutherland married Kelly Winn. The couple parted in 1999, and he filed for divorce in 2004. The divorce was finalized on 16 May 2008. He dated Bo Derek in 2000.
Sutherland started dating model/actress Cindy Vela of Olmito, Texas sometime in 2014, keeping their relationship secret up until 2017 when they began to be seen together in public. Vela and Sutherland became engaged in 2017. As of 2019, they reside in Toluca Lake, Los Angeles.
Kiefer Sutherland Net Worth
Kiefer Sutherland has a net worth of $100 million.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2019 (Approx)||$100 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2018(Approx)||Under Review|
|Salary||$250 Thousand Per Episode|
|Income Source||Actor, film director, film producer, singer|
In 2002, Kiefer purchased a transformed Silver Lake ironworks foundry for $700,000; the building is 14,400 square feet, and Sutherland used the downstairs area into a recording studio and co-founded a record label called Ironworks Music.
He sold the home for $3 million in 2009, and he dumped his New York City townhouse for $17.5 million in 2012, he paid $8.2 million for the 4,830 square foot home in 2008. Kiefer also sold his Santa Ynez Valley ranch for $3.6 million in 2000.
- Sutherland was charged in Los Angeles on 25 September 2007, on drunken driving charges, after failing a field sobriety test. His test passed the state’s legal blood alcohol limit, and he was later freed on a $25,000 bail. It was Sutherland’s fourth DUI charge since 1989. Sutherland declared no contest to the DUI charge and was sentenced to 48 days in jail.
- Sutherland surrendered to the NYPD on 7 May 2009 for head-butting fashion designer Jack McCollough, founder, and co-designer of Proenza Schouler, at The Mercer Hotel in SoHo following a fundraiser for the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Many weeks later, Sutherland and McCollough announced a joint statement in which Sutherland apologized; police later dismissed the charges.
Kiefer Sutherland Movies And TV Shows
- Kiefer Sutherland had a secondary character in the1983 comedy, ‘Max Dugan Returns’. His father acted in the movie too, but Kiefer did not have any scene with him.
- His first starring role was in the Canadian film, ‘The Bad Boy’, in 1984. The coming-of-age film saw him play a sensitive teenager who holds his mother’s attempts to make him a priest.
- In 1986, he played in his first American film, ‘Stand by Me’. In this movie about four boys’ looking for a dead body, he performed “Ace” Merrill, a bully.
- He played for the first time in a Joel Schumacher directed the movie, the1987 horror-comedy, ‘The Lost Boys’. The movie was critically and commercially prosperous. Sutherland would work with Schumacher in many more films.
- In the 1990 sci-fi thriller, ‘Flatliners’, he worked with Julia Roberts, Kevin Bacon, William Baldwin, and Oliver Platt, as one of the five medical students investigating life beyond death.
- In 1992, he appeared in the psychological thriller, ‘Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me’, and had a more significant performance in the Oscar-nominated film, ‘A Few Good Men’, as Lieutenant Jonathan James Kendrick.
- In 1993, Sutherland worked alongside Jeff Bridges and Nancy Travis in ‘The Vanishing’, an unconvincing remake of a Franco-Dutch thriller, and ‘The Three Musketeers’ which got negative reviews but did well commercially.
- In the 1996 crime thriller, ‘Eye for an Eye’, he performed Robert Doob, a serial killer. The movie also starred Sally Field and Ed Harris and was scrutinized for its promotion of vigilantism.
- Now considered a cult classic, ‘Dark City’, the sci-fi film of 1998, starred the actor with Rufus Sewell, Jennifer Connelly, and William Hurt. The film received many awards in film festivals around the world.
- He had a supporting character in the Joel Schumacher directed 1996 box-office hit, ‘ A Time to Kill’. The movie starred Matthew McConaughey, Sandra Bullock, Samuel L. Jackson, and Kevin Spacey.
- The TV series, ‘24’, starring Sutherland as Counter Terrorist Unit (CTU) agent Jack Bauer, premiered in 2001 and has now completed 192 episodes over 8 seasons. Events in each episode happen in real-time.
- In the Joel Schumacher nail-biter, ‘Phone Booth’ (2003), the actor was given second billing behind Colin Farrell, despite looking physically onscreen only for three minutes. He is the secret caller in the movie.
- In the 2006 thriller, ‘The Sentinel’ he starred with Michael Douglas. Both don the roles of secret service agents. Directed by Clark Johnson, the movie was poorly received by critics.
- In the 2012 supernatural drama series, ‘Touch’, he stars as a former reporter who feels that his sensitive special-needs son has a gift for foretelling future events.
- In May and July 2014, twelve-episodes of ‘24: Live Another Day’, was aired by Fox.
|1983||Max Dugan Returns|
|1985||The Bay Boy|
|1986||At Close Range|
Stand by Me
The Lost Boys
The Killing Time
|1988||Bright Lights, Big City|
|1990||Young Guns II|
Chicago Joe and the Showgirl
The Nutcracker Prince
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
A Few Good Men
The Three Musketeers
The Cowboy Way
|1996||Eye for an Eye|
A Time to Kill
Armitage III: Poly-Matrix
The Last Days of Frankie the Fly
|1997||Truth or Consequences, N.M.|
A Soldier's Sweetheart
Picking Up the Pieces
The Right Temptation
To End All Wars
Behind the Red Door
|2003 ||The Land Before Time X: The Great Longneck Migration|
|2004 ||Taking Lives|
Jiminy Glick in Lalawood
|2008||Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight|
|2009 ||Monsters vs. Aliens|
|2012||The Reluctant Fundamentalist|
|2017||Where Is Kyra?|
TV Shows & Serials List
|1986||Brotherhood of Justice|
Trapped in Silence
|1991 ||Saturday Night Live|
|1996||Duke of Groove|
|2004||NASCAR 3D: The IMAX Experience|
|2005||The Flight That Fought Back|
|2006||I Trust You to Kill Me|
|2009||B.O.B's Big Break|
Monsters vs. Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins from Outer Space
Night of the Living Carrots
|2014||24: Live Another Day|
Playhouse Presents: Marked
|2015||Rammstein in Amerika|
Keeping Canada Alive
|2020||The Loud House|
Facts About Kiefer Sutherland
- He is named after Warren Kiefer, who was an American-born director and writer.
- In 1970, his parents got divorced.
- He resided in the UK, USA, and Canada before becoming popular as an actor.
- He has shared the same room as actor Robert Downey, Jr. for 3 consecutive years when he shifted to Hollywood.
- Kiefer once told in an interview that his mother is the only person in the world he is scared of.
- Kiefer had a crush on heroine Julie Christie.
- In December 2008, he earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- For Driving Under the Influence (DUI), he was conducted to prison for 48 days in December 2007.
- Kiefer is distantly linked to Howard Dean, former Governor of Vermont.
- Along with singer Jude Cole, he co-founded the record label, Ironworks.
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Is Kiefer Sutherland a twin?”]Kiefer Sutherland is an impressive chap. As his most famous role unequivocally proved, he can last a full 24 hours without eating, sleeping, or going to the bathroom. But one lesser-known thing about the actor is that he has a twin sister called Rachel, who works as a post-production supervisor.[/wps_faq]
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”What is Keifer Sutherland doing now?”]Today he lives in nearby Toluca Lake with his actor girlfriend Cindy Vela, 41. But I haven’t been home for four years. He is exaggerating, but not by much. As well as playing ‘500 shows in four years, he has spent much of his time in Toronto shooting three seasons of Designated Survivor (2016 to 2019).[/wps_faq]
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Why is Kiefer Sutherland’s name so long?”]Kiefer William Frederick Dempsey George Rufus Sutherland. The joke around the Sutherland homestead was that Donald owed a lot of people money and he promised to name his firstborn son after them. In reality, he is named Kiefer, after Warren Kiefer, who wrote Donald’s first TV role in England. William is a middle name.[/wps_faq]
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”How much did Kiefer Sutherland make per episode of 24?”]Kiefer Sutherland is said to be getting around $300,000 per episode to star in ABC’s fall hit Designated Survivor, the highest pay ever for an actor on a first-year broadcast network series. Meryl Streep is said to have commanded a whopping $825,000 per episode to sign on for J.J.[/wps_faq]